1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Tech poll

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Demo Game II: Polls' started by Tanktunker, Aug 4, 2007.

?

What route should we follow?

Poll closed Aug 6, 2007.
  1. Democracy Beeline, Music, Gunpowder, Military Tradition

7.7%
  2. Democracy Beeline, Replaceable parts

38.5%
  3. Engineering, Democracy beeline, Replaceable parts

38.5%
  4. Engineering, Replaceable Parts

15.4%
  1. Provolution

Provolution Sage of Quatronia

It was all over the place, including in the Science Office.

I agree there should be put up a technology discussion thread in citizens section, because that is a fair thing to do. And your strategy proposal is as valid as any here.

Point is, what should be polled , should be taken from the discussion, not come in a discussion during the poll. This is where I and Mike disagrees.

2. Provolution

It seems our tech-master did not read the poll right.

Clearly, there is a slightly bigger support to engineering first, before democracy.

I made sure to submit a CC to handle this.

3. Tanktunker

Tanktunker Missionary of Hate

Clearly it seems your concept of time differs from reality, the outcome of the poll now is different form the outcome of the poll at the time of the last TC, I regret being unable to accurately predict the future, but I realise now that you obviously can, otherwise you would not assert that I should have known the results ahead of time and acted upon them, would you?

I'll explain it more clearly if I'm being incoherent here.

The poll was started at day n, it was to end at day n+4, the TC was at day n+3, at day n+3 the results were Option 2: 5 votes, Option 3: 4 votes.
    I decided to follow option 2 instead of delaying the TC, and posted instructions to pursue that Option 2.
    Now if I were able to travel backward in time from now, and inform my past self of the results of this poll I would, unfortunately, I cannot, and I was incapable of acting upon any information but that that was presently available to me, and that's what I acted on.

I assume you would act on information from the future, because that's what you're asking me to do, and if you would, then I think you'd be much more capable at this, and probably any job, than me.

4. Provolution

The fact you are posting between the TC and the closed poll is evidence enough here.

5. Tanktunker

The 6th of August TC, not the 13th of August TC.

6. Provolution

That is exactly my point.

7. Tanktunker

The post is in the "present" point in time, the 6th of August TC and the Poll occurred in the "past" point in time.

EDIT: Oh wait, you meant the fact that I was posting before the closed poll and before the TC started is evidence.
    Evidence of what?

Attached Files:

8. Provolution

Very pretty drawing, now what?

9. Tanktunker

I'[m asking you what you're referring to when you say that me posting before the closed poll and the turnchat starting is evidence.
    Evidence of what, that I was around at that time?
    Because I was, otherwise I would've never posted the instructions that you so vehemently disagree with.

10. Provolution

We will let the CC handle it from here.

11. Methos

Methos HoF Quattromaster Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

Good idea. No reason to argue this here anymore. :)

12. Provolution

This poll should have been repolled long ago. The fact this poll stands unchallenged, suggests widespread comraderie and double standards.

I would also call this for a direct negligence of office from the Chief Scientist, even gross negligence.

13. Tanktunker

Gross negligence to favor your opinion over all others, of course.
    You yourself stated that we should let the CC handle it, you <really cool guy>, so how about doing that?

Moderator Action: Stay polite. Offensive lines removed. Don't use such terms to describe your fellow-members again. - Rik

14. Provolution

"<really cool guy>" was a phrase overstepping your bounds in this forum. I have not personally made any injuries in this case, merely pointing out the fact you did something bad in handling this poll. I will let the CC handle this in itself of course, even though you seem certain about good support in the court, of which there is no doubt, given the very early, swift and lateral response. In order to assure good justice in case of a delay, I have employed my rights and asked for a repoll, seeking to place engineering ahead of democracy. Quite paradoxical and ironic, as in this case it is the unfair engineering of discussions and polls that have actually hurt the democracy in this game.

My opinion is only one vote, but in this case there is some support behind engineering, so there are several votes. Feel free to attack this position, but not more than that, and remember, you also attack the ones wanting engineering before democracy when you do this.

The fact you had good time to repoll a tie still stands. I would not complain if my vote did not count due to a majority loss, that is a different story. I am sporty if my case lose fairly, but a tricky one to simply snuff out with formalities. We feel Engineering was cheated out of our laps, as almost Astronomy was in a prior poll, and this is a rerun of those conflicting policies.

I recognize you picked a side, which is fine, as long as you respect a majority, or the rights of the other side in a tie.

15. dutchfire

dutchfire Deity Retired Moderator

You didn't repoll this either, did you?

16. Provolution

I did repoll it now.

I am a citizen now, and only sporadically read threads this term. I am surprised that neither Chieftain nor Chief Scientist sought to repoll this, as it would be in their interest to have a clear mandate.