Techs you deliberately ignore

Maybe they've created a special Amish board game version

Maybe they've created a special Amish board game version

there did use to be a board game version of the game (indeed, it may well have started life as a board game)

it was kind of like risk?:blush:

can't say I ever played it.

If I don't get them ist and have no religion, I tend to avoid getting monotheism, theology, philosophy, and other techs that provide benefits from religion through civics because there is frankly no point getting them. It depends what tactic you adopt and what level you play. I should imagine, on harder levels, that going for religious techs will slow you down if your not going to get them first!!!

Having read some of the techs, it seems that going for writing 1st is far more useful than going for religions. will have to try it sometime.

Code of laws is the exception, simply because you can't get courthouses without it unless you're summerian.

Regarding Corp and TGL ....

Doesn't Corp give +1 Trade route per city? As in ALL cities. The benefit you gain is greater than the benefit you lose.

Unless the GPP gets obsoleted as well... but even if so...

Coastal trade routes are usually more lucrative than inland, and even if they were identical you'd need over half your cities to be inland to make corporation break even.

So basically, any strategy that focused on using trade routes with GLH will have more coastal cities than normal, and corporation will hurt commerce output. I've seen it in practice quite often.

Yeah, I forgot it was 2 trade routes not one.

It has other advantages, but I concede the point.

Sci Meth - Obsoletes a lot of early wonders, and monestaries. Unless I need something post-SM quick, I'll ignore it and focus on the more military focused paths.

Astronomy - Losing the Colossus can hurt, but more likely its the loss of the Stonehenge and Monuments that makes me not want to research Astro. The +1 happy from CHA is lost, and Egypt, Ethiopia and Native America all lose powerful UBs (if being used effectively)

Corp vs TGL is almost always a loss. Even if you have more inland cities, those routes can't get bonuses from harbours and custom houses. The only things that I think about when looking at that trade off are how valuable is WS to me (a double holy city is insanely powerful with WS) and am I about to found Sushi, Mining, or CreCon. Otherwise TGL means delay corporation until it is not feasible to do so any longer.

While the totem pole is indeed ownage for its time, why exactly is it so wretched to lose it? By the time you have astro you either beelined the sucker for some massively leveragable bonus or you have gunpowder and archery units are a thing of the past.

While the totem pole is indeed ownage for its time, why exactly is it so wretched to lose it? By the time you have astro you either beelined the sucker for some massively leveragable bonus or you have gunpowder and archery units are a thing of the past.

Upgrading super-powered Crossbows to super-powered Machine Guns is one of my personal favourite strategies as protective civs.

If you've got a lot of overseas trading partners waiting for Astronomy, DUMP COLOSSUS like the stone hanging around your neck that it is! Losing a few Coins from water tiles will be more than made up for with +100% to ALL your Trade Route values.

By a similar token, if you've got a decent-to-monster-sized Shrine or two in one city, you're crazy to delay Corporation. The Trade Routes pretty much balance out if you're half coastal and the gain in Shrine gold will make you never look back.

If you've got a lot of overseas trading partners waiting for Astronomy, DUMP COLOSSUS like the stone hanging around your neck that it is! Losing a few Coins from water tiles will be more than made up for with +100% to ALL your Trade Route values.

You're assuming there are overseas civs that want open borders. Normally there are, but occasionally you'll get a Tokugawa, an Isabella and a Montezuma on the other continent with a foreign religion, so you won't be getting many open borders.

Fission is a bust. Nuclear plants are a bust. Meltdowns are too frequent. Build Three Gorges, hydroplants or coal plants. Buy health if needed.

Don't touch nukes or ICBMs with a ten foot pole.

Meltdowns are one of the most ill-conceived and stupid occurrences in the game. The should be pulled, they're unrealistic AND lack balance. Definitely a patch candidate!

Nukes are pretty helpful though. You can't get such powerful collateral any other way. Suddenly those 80 knights monty has just upgraded to cavalry aren't so scary.

Final release. Doh!!! Unless Bhuric has a new patch in the offing ?

You're assuming there are overseas civs that want open borders.
That is part and parcel to "overseas trading partners waiting for Astronomy". If you haven't already got OB with them, then they're not waiting for you to trade, are they? :D

Corp vs TGL is almost always a loss. Even if you have more inland cities, those routes can't get bonuses from harbours and custom houses. The only things that I think about when looking at that trade off are how valuable is WS to me (a double holy city is insanely powerful with WS) and am I about to found Sushi, Mining, or CreCon. Otherwise TGL means delay corporation until it is not feasible to do so any longer.

Harbors and customs houses only increase the base trade route value which is normally just under 2 commerce per turn. So if half your cities are inland the added trade route to all of those cities comes close enough to offset the loss of TGLH. I usually head for Steam then Corporation to unlock assembly line. Nothing gets you more trade route like early infantry.

The question is why you would build TGL if half or more of your cities are inland, or perhaps why half or more of your cities have been placed inland if you built TGL.

The question is why you would build TGL if half or more of your cities are inland, or perhaps why half or more of your cities have been placed inland if you built TGL.

Who said anything about building them? TGL with some overseas neighbors can net you a nice shot at idiotically early knights, curries, rifles or cannon; in which case half the cities you own are inland, but all the ones you settled aren't.

isn't monotheism good for organized religion. it is like getting a free forge when building buildings. i generally wait until more important techs are researched like code of laws, literature, monarchy, and a handful of others depending on need but i will snag monotheism if there are not more pressing needs. it generally seems pretty short research time by that point. should i just skip it and beeline for philosophy or trade for it later?

Divine Right in almost every game is something I never bother with...

Scientific Method is something I often put-off because it screws with so much in obsoleting buildings.

Top Bottom