Tell me about Stephen King

Dida

YHWH
I want to read some of his books, tell me which book do you suggest and what are some of his better works.

Do not read his book,unless you have a fascination on the supernatural.
Do not read his book,scholars of the future will laugh at you for being feeble to read his crap.
It is not the greatest contribution to the theory of literature writing.

IT, The stand, The shinning, The Dark Half, Carrie, The Shawshank Redemption,Needfull things all good, can't think of many more but most of his books are worth it. I think Stephen Kings books are all pretty good even the bad ones. His only weakness IMO is his endings sometimes are a bit of anti climax.

Saying that though Clive Barker is much better

Stephen King Himself said: Clive Barker is so good I'm literally tongue tied:

Read coldheart canyon, It's set in LA you'll love it.

Quentin Tarantino Said: The great imaginer of his time

And I'm not reading the dust jacket honest ;)

CartesianFart said:
Do not read his book,unless you have a fascination on the supernatural.
Do not read his book,scholars of the future will laugh at you for being feeble to read his crap.
It is not the greatest contribution to the theory of literature writing.
No it's not, but it's not simply "supernatural" stories either.

Try and read The Body aka Stand by Me or Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption for proofs of this. King is very good.

READ THE DARK TOWER SERIES

seriously, almost all of his books are conencted this series in one way or another.

My favourite King books are The Dark Tower Series, which is more fantasy than horror(though still quite horrifying and gory in most places). 7 books all told, but as stated above, be warned that the ending is a bit weak, though the journey towards it is mostly enjoyable. It gets quite weird towards the end, especially once you reach book 6 and 7, but they are still worth a read.

De Lorimier said:
No it's not, but it's not simply "supernatural" stories either.

Try and read The Body aka Stand by Me or Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption for proofs of this. King is very good.
Most people i've met in my life never read any literature of greatness,but they read Stephen King,Clancy,Koontz,and etc.etc. off of other magazine rack from a wallmart store.Trust me,my opinion on them are not so great on regarding their intelligent.:lol:

Look man I've read Mobey dick and Crime and punishment and Don quixote and a shed load of philosophy and other classics, but sometimes you just want to read some fantasy that diverts your attention from the stresses of the every day world. I'm a big David Demmel, Clive barker and Stephen Donaldson fan, it doesn't make me a bad person alright :)

oh great, another literature snob :rolleyes: you are what you read, eh?

judging people's intelligence by what they read isn't very...well....intelligent, me thinks....

anyway, on topic, my favorite books is the dark tower series, especially the first 4.

the talisman was quite good too, IMHO.

Sidhe said:
Look man I've read Mobey dick and Crime and punishment and Don quixote and a shed load of philosophy and other classics, but sometimes you just want to read some fantasy that diverts your attention from the stresses of the every day world. I'm a big David Demmel, Clive barker and Stephen Donaldson fan, it doesn't make me a bad person alright :)
Hey,sometimes i am a victim of other people fantasy stories.I was weak one time in my life and needed the escape of vivid imagery of landscape and crazy pets.I also am a member the Stephen Kingaholic chapter in my town.:lol:

What are you, so type of elitist? Yes, Wells, Twain, Dumas, Hugo, Dickens will be remembered in a better light than the likes of King, Koontz or Clancy. But why piss on the people who enjoy the latter as well?
Reading Machiavelli exclusively doesn't mean you're intelligent.

Sidhe said:
Saying that though Clive Barker is much better

I agree - Clive Barker is MUCH better. Books of Blood :drool:

Hm, i have read the thief of always, by clive barker. I didnt really like it, although he is imaginative. In my view the characters are a bit dried out though; you dont get to learn much about them, they just seem to exist there.

De Lorimier said:
What are you, so type of elitist? Yes, Wells, Twain, Dumas, Hugo, Dickens will be remembered in a better light than the likes of King, Koontz or Clancy. But why piss on the people who enjoy the latter as well?

I am not pissing on anyone taste on literatures that they like,even if you are only figuratively saying i am pissing on them.I am saying most of the people i know happens to be dumb and that most of them have never read Wells, Twain, Dumas, Hugo, Dickens,and Machievelli.Not you dude.Congrats that you are not those dumb people who never read these works.:D

De Lorimier said:

No to be intellignet I'd say you'd have to read all those books in first edition original languages ;)

Personally I like to play book wars on the train. most times I'm reading some "pulp" fiction but on the odd occasion I'm not, I like seeing if I can trump other peoples novels and literature. I was reading The Devils(Dostoyevsky) once and got firmly trounced by some book called The Principles of Quantum Mechanics or something like that: that's not elitist is it? :)

I really like The Stand. Try to find the extended version. It is a big read, but good if you get into it. It's a version of the End of Time from the Bible, so it also helps if you know a little about Revelations. I haven't been able to get into any of his other books, although I haven't tried them all.

yeah it's only a matter of time before you read everything and have to go visit Carts Stephen kings anonymous chapter.

My names Sidhe and Im a stephen Kingaholic :)

If you are looking for horror literature i would suggest:

-Arthur Mahen (The recluse of Bayswater)
-H.P.Lovecraft (The music of Erich Zann)
Also some De Maupassant, although he is not horror, it is more about madness. You can find an e-text of "The Horla" for example.

Needful Things, is what I'd start out with.

And man, Stephen King is one sick frack. :hatsoff:

Hp Lovecraft anything in fact and also the Call of Cthullu books if you want to go for old school

has anyone noticed that if your a minority in his books then your dead pretty much, hehe well of course they have:)

Top Bottom