Terrance Project Thread

Role:

Grass Desert syncretic and assimilative religio-tribal empire

Plans:

Monotheistic syncretion faith binds together a rapidly expanding group of tribal allies on a truly epic conquest of the continent. Hordes of tribal raiders supplemented by an army of converts: both druids, tribesmen, and even imperial subjects and legionnaires. Fill the power vacuum with a novel imperial faith. Vastya is one ;)

Wishlist:

A well simulated power vacuum and failing empire. Legions treading water, breaking down systems, and a convincing and compelling emergence of a new world order. Small events with massive repercussions. Also, a giant desolate grassland with hardened riders. People forced to reconcile their formerly held convictions with a world that is against them. A dynamic and thrilling setting.

In short, a fertile, irrigated field ripe to be sewn with the seeds of new empire and new faith. I want to rot the core of the status quo and spread Vastya's name across the world.

Last edited:
Some ideas for legion command roles, since that's the role I'm probably playing. Lacking aesthetic guidance I'm pulling equally from Latin, Greek, and Semitic.

Auctor / Auktor / Author - Commander of a legion. Sometimes also simply 'author'. Referencing auctoritas/authority, denoting the privilege to declare martial law and suspend traditional civil laws in the defense of the Empire. Auctors are usually subordinate to the regional governor or imperial high command, but are legally empowered to act independently in times of emergency. Traditionally the auctor keeps and writes the chronicle of the legion's deeds, reading it to the whole legion once a year. Ultimately he bears responsibility as the 'author' of the legion's victory or defeat, and is given nearly-absolute loyalty by his men, but who is also expected to commit suicide in failure, or failing that, to be executed by his troops. Not a job for cowards.

Spathai - An ancient title that dates back to the pre-Imperial times. Literally "sword-bearer," the Spathai is traditionally supposed to be the auctor's companion, champion, bodyguard, and personal attendant. Originally the title belonged to the second-in-command, but in the late Empire the title transitioned to a prestige post closer to an adjutant. It is often handed out to young soldiers that show promise, or more commonly, to young sons of influential families receiving their customary military training before rising the ranks to become governors and magistrates. The title is as useful as the man who occupies it, and still is the symbolic second in command, but realistically a Spathai is now simply a glorified messenger and assistant role assigned to a younger man rising the ranks.

Kastrite - Chief engineer, fortification management, and chief quartermaster role, both for permanent and field encampments. Also supervises the construction and operation of siege equipment. Does everything from managing supply chains to organizing work crews to planning sanitary camps and field hospitals. In a battle role, he has significant authority in protecting supplies and siege weapons. Probably the most important job in the army that receives the least amount of recognition.

Sakontar / Sakhontariya - The 'prime lance,' the commander of the armored knights, always a veteran cavalryman of good bearing from within the legion. Almost all legions outsource light cavalry operations to native allies, leaving a typically small but highly potent force of heavy cavalry under the legion's direct control. In the last century, the mix of heavy cavalry has grown in both number and prestige. The Sakontar role has consequently become much more important as the role of shock cavalry in warfare has expanded, and he is typically seen as a good candidate for the next Auctor. He must also be a decent diplomat, as the Sakontar must work with and relay orders to the native light cavalry commanders.

Last edited:
Can 't we run a FTZ ? A place where everyone is welcome, to trade, and "exchange ideas", Tribals, Imperialists all are welcome here to trade ...

I'll respond to Thlayli and Ork when I have more time, but for Bonefang's thoughts...

If by FTZ you mean "Free Trade Zone", basically any piece of ground where there aren't any prior structures around is a "free trade zone", essentially. "The Man" isn't around to take a cut of your trade. It's also a "free loot zone" for bandits and other nasty things to disrupt commerce. If you set up a system to protect the trade, how is that system maintained? If you ask for taxes, tribute, or tariffs, and they are set on merchants (i.e. the class with mobile money) it's no longer a free trade zone. If you can satisfactorily explain how you didn't get ganged up by someone or another coming after the increasing concentration of wealth your people are overseeing, then that's fine, and I'll accept it. :)

You can definitely set up something like thomas.berubeg's system, where a natural harbor/trade route confluence, along with taking advantage of prior strategic fortifications, led to the growth of a trade based tribal town.

Oh, and you do have to be aligned either Imperial or Tribal. It's not quite as black and white as it may seem, because Imperials themselves have many half-assimilated subcultures within themselves, and the Tribals are in no way monocultural - The Tribes in the Sythram Valleys are just more similar than not due to centuries of Druidic influence and natural cultural osmosis.

I'd love to sketch out your thoughts more to make something that suits both what you wish to play and the setting it will be played in. We can continue here, #nes, IOTchat, conversation, or wherever.

EDIT: What the hay

@Ork, that's very nice and all, but you basically asked that I keep the setting the setting. What do YOU want around you? What kind of things do you want to see? In terms of challenges? Terrain? Fauna?

(The specifics of how you want the setting to work is useful, keep it, it's just that I want more of what I originally asked for)

Also, are you sure you want to switch to the Great Grass Desert? If you do so, I will definitely open up the Great Grass Desert for players and start producing content. To note, Druidism was and is much less an influence here than in the main hill-lands of Sythram.

A bit more info on my preconception of the Great Grass Desert. Still considering if they had horses or not, but the introduction of Imperial breeds of war horses rapidly shifts the balance across the plains. The size, strength, and sheer push through capability of the war horse would have been bred with the maneuverability and wirely tough nomad horse. If there wasn't horses before, the release, capture, and adaptation of horses would produce much the same changes.

The cultures here are less Mongols (who had centuries or millenia to perfect a horseback culture), and more Apache/Comache, Scythia, and very early Persia. Not to say they are not good, but better to say, perhaps, not as developed.

@Thlayli,

Yes, that. Aesthetics is definitely a thing I am very late on working on. For the quite simple fact I am personally horrible at naming things straight up. I would like things to feel at once vaguely familiar and yet irresistibly exotic. Words that could plausibly roll off the tongue in an instant, yet hint of centuries or millennia of cultural growth and development.

That said, I really like "Auctor" and "Sakontar", especially how the latter sounds like "Seconder" ;)

Last edited:
What do YOU want around you? What kind of things do you want to see? In terms of challenges? Terrain? Fauna?

I want an established nomadic society, struggles to reconcile population capacity and pastureland, distant and semi-legendary contacts with distant and semi-legendary regions, and the opportunity to completely change the dynamics of the region by injecting a new source of pressure. I want a rich stewpot of religion to produce a novel faith. I want endless grasslands, cattle, horses, sheep, goats, and (why not?) bison. Long rivers with wooded banks but otherwise a grand dominion of grass.

Ideally, I want close geographical access to the Ancient Vale and the Riverlands, or at least close contact through trade or what have you.

I want to be a real threat to imperial armies on the Great Plains, I want to be able to convert and corrupt all other factions from within, I want to be a mounted sledgehammer crashing down on the rotted log of Sythram. Hardened warriors trained by life, petty warfare, and grand intertribal hunts for the animals of the plains. Horse archers and lancers; hunters one and all, turning their gaze to the richest prey around.

I want to deal with the growing pains of a new faith, theological struggles and succession spats. I want to have to manage conquered regions and volatile tribal politics.

I think that the Grass Desert suits my interests and plans much better than does the Ancient Vale. Instead of having a dominant local faith that I revolt against, I can make up/create something new and offer an alternative with protection extended to converts in form of a removed haven or powerbase. Think early Islam.

Role: Enthusiastic Pirate Tribe in the Broken Lands (If you'll have me); (Otherwise: Ancient Vale)

Plans: To generate a following of raiders and pirates to take advantage of coastal towns and villages. I am imagining taking over rival pirate tribes in the islands and creating a federation that is vigorously against Imperial rule.

Wishlist: A maze of islands, inlets, and reefs that can confuse and endanger all but the most knowledgeable and experienced sailors. Some vessels that can match the imperial ships in terms of firepower or speed, likely captured from legions that were fleeing Kydron or part of forces sent (And failed) to stabilize the Broken Lands.

Hey! Just wandered by to see if there's anything promising shaping up, and do you ever have my interest.

Role:
Civilian. Imperial. Put me somewhere useful. I wouldn't mind being some governor's Trusted Lieutenant, or running the Port. I could also play an affiliated tribe.

Plans: To sustain the Imperial Colony in Kydron without dependence on support from the wider Empire, chiefly through overworking the postal system.

Wishlist: Public: Interaction with the Empire, if not necessarily the Imperial Government. Zealots scuffling in the streets. Spies and agents. Meddlesome soothsayers. Personal: A network of spies and agents. Contact with them mercenaries.

Re: Outremer: I would like the possibility of occasional trade without real contact. Perhaps some system whereby ships and merchants only make the journey to and from Kydron as part of an Expedition Fleet requiring the sender to invest time, talent, and treasure, and otherwise total cutoff?

I want an established nomadic society, struggles to reconcile population capacity and pastureland, distant and semi-legendary contacts with distant and semi-legendary regions, and the opportunity to completely change the dynamics of the region by injecting a new source of pressure. I want a rich stewpot of religion to produce a novel faith. I want endless grasslands, cattle, horses, sheep, goats, and (why not?) bison. Long rivers with wooded banks but otherwise a grand dominion of grass.

Sounds good! I'm not exactly sure how to make the rest of the map/boundaries, but I think I'll just fog of war it. Based on what I'm reading, I think I'll have the nomads be quick adopters of the horses introduced by the Imperials. Perhaps they have experience with less efficient riding animals in the past. And I'll definitely have far away places shrouded in mythes and legends.

The Great Grass Desert is not really part of the Druidic Religious-Cultural complex in Sythram, but I would assume they would have communities along the rivers. There would be a menagerie of local customs as well, that we can discuss and create as we see fit.

Ideally, I want close geographical access to the Ancient Vale and the Riverlands, or at least close contact through trade or what have you.

What do you think about being placed close to the wide boundary-river which is the current Kydronian Colony frontier? It's a flat border (compared to the hill lands to the north) but with the river itself current blocking access from either direction. Of course, being that close makes it easier for Imperial intervention, should they choose to intervene.

I want to be a real threat to imperial armies on the Great Plains, I want to be able to convert and corrupt all other factions from within, I want to be a mounted sledgehammer crashing down on the rotted log of Sythram. Hardened warriors trained by life, petty warfare, and grand intertribal hunts for the animals of the plains. Horse archers and lancers; hunters one and all, turning their gaze to the richest prey around.

I think that would come in time, or depending on the threat. As a single tribe I don't think you can stop the full force of a well motivated and organized legion. However, by gathering allies (or in time) you can definitely challenge even multiple legions. Don't really want to give you an exact time frame here, but expect at least 5 years/20 updates of expansion/consolidation?

I want to deal with the growing pains of a new faith, theological struggles and succession spats. I want to have to manage conquered regions and volatile tribal politics.

Good to know.

I think that the Grass Desert suits my interests and plans much better than does the Ancient Vale. Instead of having a dominant local faith that I revolt against, I can make up/create something new and offer an alternative with protection extended to converts in form of a removed haven or powerbase. Think early Islam.

Excellent

As an additional thought, Great Grass Desert Tribes would "tick" on a different schedule for wars/raiding. I'll need to create or adapt the mechanics to represent.

Role: Enthusiastic Pirate Tribe in the Broken Lands (If you'll have me); (Otherwise: Ancient Vale)

A bit of backstory-ish thoughts below.

Plans: To generate a following of raiders and pirates to take advantage of coastal towns and villages. I am imagining taking over rival pirate tribes in the islands and creating a federation that is vigorously against Imperial rule.

Definitely a good mid-term plan!

Wishlist: A maze of islands, inlets, and reefs that can confuse and endanger all but the most knowledgeable and experienced sailors. Some vessels that can match the imperial ships in terms of firepower or speed, likely captured from legions that were fleeing Kydron or part of forces sent (And failed) to stabilize the Broken Lands.

Mhm. You might have a captured but partially destroyed Sea Strider as well as lesser transports/merchant craft/war ships.

So I would like at least one more player in the Broken Lands before opening up that can of worms. But I'm happy people are showing interest!

There are basically three types of groups in The Broken Lands.

1) Pro-Imperial Tribals - They are pearl divers, merchants, harvesters and guides who prospered greatly with Imperial contact and trade. The old Pearl for Amber trade routes are much improved with Imperial domination in Kydron. They continue to trade with the Colony and sends ships to their ports.

2) Imperial outposts - Fortified factories/light houses, midway coves, or even imperial defectors hiding in the broken lands. This isn't the best place for true "colony" in the classical sense, but more like the trading factory/colonies of the exploration age. A big reason is that there aren't any really good harbors here, and it's very exposed to the sea. At these locations local trade is collected and stored, and ships sent to the main colony. Additionally, light houses help imperial merchant ships navigate.

3) Pirates, Anti-Imperial Tribals, YOU! - You see the wealth of the trade, but you decide instead of "working" for it, it's easier to just take it. Imperial defectors. Native pirates. Any mixture you can think of seeking to get their fair share of the pie.

Hey! Just wandered by to see if there's anything promising shaping up, and do you ever have my interest.

Role:
Civilian. Imperial. Put me somewhere useful. I wouldn't mind being some governor's Trusted Lieutenant, or running the Port. I could also play an affiliated tribe.

Plans: To sustain the Imperial Colony in Kydron without dependence on support from the wider Empire, chiefly through overworking the postal system.

Wishlist: Public: Interaction with the Empire, if not necessarily the Imperial Government. Zealots scuffling in the streets. Spies and agents. Meddlesome soothsayers. Personal: A network of spies and agents. Contact with them mercenaries.

Re: Outremer: I would like the possibility of occasional trade without real contact. Perhaps some system whereby ships and merchants only make the journey to and from Kydron as part of an Expedition Fleet requiring the sender to invest time, talent, and treasure, and otherwise total cutoff?

So the main divide between Kydron and the mainland are the high cost to construct, maintain, and send Sea Striders. Sea Striders are Junk-like ships with air-tight bulkheads and ribbed sails, designed to sail the high seas. During the Empire's hey day, they serve two purposes - connect to "far off" colonies like Kydron across open seas, or take the "short cut" paths on their sea lanes. A Sea Strider could be sent with just a fleet of its own, or as a nucleus to anchor a convoy of less sea-worthy craft, to support them as necessary.

Also, you currently don't have any. You sent out the last one years ago. You'll either have to find retired experts who know the guild-protected secrets on their construction, or seize some from the few merchants who dare to venture this far.

Based on discussions, I think I will allow attempts at long distance trading with the Empire. Such a convoy has to sail past the Broken Lands for the shortest and safest route back to the mainland. Trade form the other direction could also occur occasionally, some as single ballsy ships, some as small convoys, and some with a Sea Strider or two.

Oh, and definitely will have Imperial - NPC factions and interest groups. Fun times!

Neat! I hadn't really given much thought to shipbuilding, but it's nice to know that there are a few different ways guests could drop by unannounced. No, tribes, not you.

Do I take it correctly that the pearl-divers and the Broken Lands trade posts are peripheral to the Colony in particular rather than the Empire in general?

Yes, that's correct. They're mostly projects by colonists than by the empire in general. Especially colonial naval officials (and that means you! :p)

One or two light houses might have been during the original conquest to direct supply ships and transports, but the majority of infrastructure that exists are more recent and more local in scale and ambition.

Edit: to make it clear, the pearl divers are native tribals who are pro colonial as the growth of colonial trade has increased their wealth, influence, etc.

Last edited:
Le gasp, a story in the never ending stories forum. I will repost this with a follow up once the proper NES begins.

---

Another gust of wind snapped at the standards of the auctorial guard, the golden asp of the 22nd on the right side and the auctor’s laurel on the left. The night had been cold and clear, but a fog had risen with the dawn, and the sky wore a uniform, bleak grey. The vivid green of the valley past the flat square of the marching ground, the great river, and the hills and mountains rising beyond it were lost in the clouds that had come down from the sky to dwell among men.

The harsh sound of cloth flapping in the wind had a gentler companion, as the sacrificial doves cooed in their wicker cage between the standards, oblivious to their fate. Although this had happened to their kin before, they did not betray any anxiety, any more than normal. Which was for the best.

The auctor wore a laurel of his own, a silver wreath of receding hair stretching from temple to temple. His face was cleanshaven, with a few lines around the eyes and cheeks. He had an unremarkable nose, narrow brown eyes, and a long-faded tan that marked his ancestry as foreign to this place. He wore the black enamel, edged in auctorial gold, with a golden asp painted on the chest. He approached the cage and opened the door with a creak, considering the light brown doves, their legs tied, wings clipped. And the doves considered him in return.

He chose one of the larger ones, a pleasant pattern of white and black spots dappled on the feathers of its back. It flapped a few times as the auctor reached into the cage and gathered it into his hands, turning its head back and forth in alarm. “There, there,” he said, soothing the dove’s feathers with his thumbs as he withdrew and closed the cage with an elbow. “It is as it must be.”

Far behind the black-enameled ranks of the auctor’s seven hundred elites, in the bulk of the common legionaries, two low-ranking soldiers, friends since childhood, strained to see the ritual through the swirling fog. Judging their officers distracted, they whispered to one another while keeping their bodies straight and facing forward.

“So odd he doesn’t just leave it to the priests,” complained the shorter, blonde, barrel-chested one, feeling the morning’s damp chill already seeping into his (local, heavy) cloak and under his neckline. “And makes us attend.”

“He’s old,” equivocated the taller one, dark haired and eyed with a jawline the shorter one with his fat face envied. “Would make peace with the gods before meeting them,” stating the obvious. “And shut up,” he hissed, before their officer could detect the whispering.

The four priests of the imperial cult assigned to the legion (and to every legion) stood in a square, two holding censers of incense on long brass chains, the third holding a knife, surrounding a large copper bowl on a small table in the grass. These were fighting men first and priests second, an extra measure of beer and a small bonus their incentive. But Auctor Serapin was known for this, so whether they humored him or truly believed, all the men of the 22nd showed the required piety to the gods.

“O celestium, your ordering beyond comprehension, numbering all the gods, be not offended by our sacrifice…” An invocation of all the things the legion wished not the gods to have befall them followed from the chief priest, evoking the philosopher’s famous adage, “The greatest gift from the gods to man is to be left alone.” Flood, famine, disease, earthquake, and so on. War, notably, was the one disaster left absent from the request to the gods. It was impious for a legion to ask the gods not to send them war. War was their skill and trade.

After this litany, prayers to the favored gods of the legion were intoned, according to their status in the celestial hierarchy. The first Emperor, greatest of all, and then the unbroken line of official emperors according to the currently approved genealogy. The goddess (depicted as a dolphin, or a star, or a flaming woman) of the city where the legion had been founded, a version of a popular mystery religion in a dozen other cities, in spite of the fact that hardly a man of the 22nd had ever seen this city or been within a hundred leagues of it. The gods and goddesses of several of the major cities of the Empire who it would probably not be a good idea to offend. A few of the gods of the native Kydronians which had been absorbed into the Imperial system. Finally, the auctor’s personal gods, some obscure desert demons from his childhood, in a distant land that all but the legion’s hoariest old veterans knew only from legend.

Throughout this whole intonation the troops stood in stoic silence as the fog swirled overhead. The priests of each of the five seven hundreds (before the reforms, there had been seven) echoed the litanies of the auctor’s personal priests for each of the segmenta.

After the name and benediction of the last god (a cyclopean, eagle-winged man named K’tar) was intoned, the priests fell silent. The auctor smiled, stepped forward, and handed the dove to the chief priest for the final parts of the ritual: The reading of omens and burning of the sacrifice. The auctor, golden snake brooch pinning the black cape to his chest, then retreated from the priests to the first rank of his seven hundred, a gesture meant to show that the auctor was the same as his men before the gods.

The chief priest held the struggling dove upside down over the bowl, while the other priest prepared to sever its neck with the ceremonial knife. But then, as they did so, the dove twisted unexpectedly in the grip of the priest, falling down into the bowl with a metallic clang. As the front ranks of the elites exhaled in dismay, the situation went from bad to worse. Fluttering its wings, the dove found to its surprise, and everyone else’s, that it could fly. It fluttered a bit, and then landed on the ground next to the bowl, its legs still tied. To his credit, the chief priest dove for it immediately, at the expense of his night blue robes. To the dove’s credit, it took flight and found the air.

As he watched the dove begin its escape, Auctor Kadras Talis Serapin’s world closed in on itself. A twisting, sickening combination of nausea and vertigo seized him. To lose the sacrifice was the worst omen possible. It was worse than disaster. It was blasphemy. It was doom.

“Bow,” he rasped, breath puffing in the morning chill. “Bow!” His attendant, confused but used to following quick orders, handed him the bow just as the dove hit the ground, and the auctor shoved the man to the side, pulled an arrow from his quiver, and nocked it with a steady hand as the dove took off and flew off into the mist.

Three, agonizing seconds passed as the army held its breath. The dove was gone.

And the auctor released the arrow into the fog after it.

Nobody moved.

The auctor stumbled forward, cape rustling behind him, his boots on the wet grass and the clacking of his armor the only sound in all the stunned army. “Nobody move!” he cried, lurching past the priests, turning it into a march now in earnest, walking into the fog in the direction of the bowshot and the bird. “Nobody move,” he repeated, passing the priests. Nobody showed the slightest sign of moving, even before the order.

Not fifty paces into the fog, he found it, still alive, an imperial arrow pierced through its right wing, bleeding heavily. In its fall, it had hit one of the queer rocks, the small, squat stone statues carved into the shape of faces and left by a dead people, half worn away by time and the wind. A smear of blood across the statue’s wide, grinning mouth. The auctor took note of this with grim dismay as he broke the arrow, pulled out the shaft, and gathered the dove back into his hands with no less gentleness than he had removed it from its cage. “I’m sorry for what I did to you,” said the auctor quietly, as the blood welled under his fingers.

He walked back to the table, the army having remained stock still, exactly where he left it.

“Give me the knife,” he ordered the subordinate priest.

“Auctor, I…”

He snatched it out of his hands and quickly slit the bird’s throat. Blood pinged against the copper bottom of the bowl as the auctor felt the bird’s last struggles cease. Then he gently placed it in the basin. “Now complete the sacrifice,” he said, stepping back to his position in the line.

In spite of the cold, the bald ebony pate of the chief priest, who was also the auctor’s old friend and sekontar, shined with sweat. Taking the knife, he slit open the bird’s chest, spreading its rib cage with a crack, and pulling out the heart and the entrails. He passed the body to the subordinate priest, and dropped the entrails into the bowl. Only then did he look down to judge the pattern of their fall.

His facial expression did not change one iota when he saw that the bird’s insides had been riddled with cancer, a tumorous mass wrapped around the inner viscera. These omens were terrible. The most terrible that the priest had ever seen, or even heard of. The heart lay far apart from the intestines, which clumped around the tumor and did not sprawl, in a small puddle of its own blood. Gathering up the organs, he handed them to the other subordinate priest, with a quiet “Burn them quickly,” under his breath.

The priest, Gero Sudi Serapin (who had been a slave of the legion before being adopted into the auctor’s house) now turned and stepped forward to address the army, in the deep, commanding baritone voice which had led the auctor to advance him from a slave to a commander.

“The gods have decreed that…” gods, he thought, if these omens were true… “...that the ways of the past have failed. That strength shall be found in unexpected corners. And that...in trusting that strength, it will carry us to a new life apart from the old.”

Gero (although never an impious man) had never believed in the gods as much as he believed in them now, and he knew the message they were really trying to send. The message he had sanitized to prevent an outbreak of mass hysteria that would run counter to the auctor's plans. The first, that the Empire had become thoroughly infected with corruption. And the second...that the auctor had been chosen by the gods.

“Very good, chief priest,” said the auctor, as if nothing bad had happened that day. The priests tossed the bird’s corpse and poured the blood onto a brazier of fragrant wood, completing the day’s ritual.

“Now raise your fists and salute our Emperor!” Wherever he may be, the auctor did not add.

The salute was raised in unison, but the muttering en masse could not be quelled, even throughout it. The soldiers discussing what had just happened, repeating it to those who were too far back in the ranks to see it all.

By the end of the feast that followed the spring sacrifice, the legion had come to the same conclusion as Sekontar Gero. The auctor had truly been chosen by the gods. Though for what, was the unanswered question.

Last edited:
Hey is there still space to join? I want to join as a tribe. The basic idea is that it is a mercenary tribe by which I don't literally mean mercenaries, but rather that my tribe has a sort of tributary agreement with another tribe in which I provide manpower in exchange for payment with a bunch of other norms and customs inherent in the relationship. I'm basically a vassal to another tribe. My goal will be to find better land, build a power base and assert independence from my master. My hope is that I can exploit the various imperial power structures, inter imperial competition, as well as inter tribal competition and the conflict between anti imperial and pro imperial forces to gain valuable land, attract settlers to it who acknowledge my authority and establish hegemony over this region and build a stable state.

Hello! Yes, there should still be space to join. If my cursory survey is correct, the most available region currently is the Ancient Vale, followed by the River Kings. I can also open up the long valley, where such a relationship is very possible.

I think I have sufficient players in the Great Grass Sea an the Broken Lands at this time, but you are free to investigate those options as well!

As a general update, I'm slowly getting regional population math worked out and I'm working on scaling the economy properly.

01/05/2022 [aka 5 years in the future, what the fudging hell]

A retrospective on some thoughts, concepts and plans. I want to get this in writing and out.

Time - the main unit of time is the year, each turn is a full year starting from midwinter and ending in midwinter. In each year, there are five “action time” phases, plus a sixth “story time” phase.The idea is when all the orders are in for the next year, the year starts. People will have chance to receive quick updates and course corrections throughout the year, and when the year ends that’s when the stats are finally tabulated and updated for everyone.

The active time will thus go beat by beat - hopefully 1 week of RL each for a couple months in game time. The story time might last a few weeks, a couple months, or even be a mini hiatus. However, with correct pacing the story time allows room for people to make sense of what happened and plan their next steps. This will be a StoryNES primarily, after all.

Phase 1 - midwinter and people who choose to mobilize immediately get an idea of the turnout

Phase 2 - spring

Phase 3 - Summer

Phase 4 - Fall - and people get to choose whether to demobilize for the harvest or try a winter campaign

Phase 5 - early winter - things slow down as people hunker down

On Updates - For the active time updates, I plan only to do highpoints and decision points. When winter comes, I’ll do a more formal update, including weather forecasts from the various religions (at various levels of accuracy), trade reports, some spotlights. The more famous/prestigeous factions get more mention. Updates would be more scrappy, and I’ll add Spotlight Stories during the Story Time until orders start trickling in.

On Stats - After starting from an almost “Paradox-level” desire for simulation, I’ve eventually decided to fall more towards the storyist style. However, I still want to accomplish a few things with stats - 1) directly show the discrepancy between imperial and tribal cultures in the way their stats are laid out and 2) have actually key numbers that player actions can change and improve through non militaristic action. Of course also, make supplies and planning important.

One way I’m leaning towards having some kind of prefecture/village/province/town/fief/barony system for the imperial lands, each of which have their own stats. Their stats would look like # of households, efficiency, expected output, and trade good outputs. I see villages being known for 1 trade good, towns producing 2 and cities producing multiple. It would possibly look like BOTWAWKI settlements. Imperials would establish authority over various chunks of territory and tax them.

Tribals would be built on relationships of smaller clans swearing to greater ones, each of whom would have their own stats. Most of the stats would be 1 liner, but once clans start getting prestige they’ll “earn” the right to more stats and more description as they get to be more known.

Personally, I enjoy tweaking stats and what they would show, but I don’t enjoy updating them. That’s partially why I almost prefer “creating new” stats each update.

On Weather - simply put originally I wanted each type of weather would modify harvests of crop mixes and outputs of trade goods. The religions would put out weather predictions at various levels of accuracy/inaccuracy.

On Trade - putting together an interesting trade system with supply and demand is much much harder than some heuristics, and I’m debating leaning on heuristics more if/as things move storyist.

On Map - considered making two maps - one from imperial perspective and one from the tribal.

So, what do I think about Echoes of Glory? I think I might have been looking for too many things from one NES. I wanted asymmetry from stats, but I also want it to be story-based. I wanted a detailed trade network, but I didn’t want to track all the trade goods and trade routes. I wanted mystery of religion, magic, and faith, but I didn’t want to really challenge or establish a system for it.

I was drawn towards Echoes of Glory’s idea because I felt it would be limited, and could brew up an interesting and iconic setting, one that’s intimate and local, at once familiar and exotic. I wanted to begin anew, and make a playground. I want to play NPCs - I *love* roleplaying NPCs - and I want a setting that is flexible for my fellow NESers.

So What Now? What’s Next? Is Echoes of Glory Dead?

To be fair, it was never alive. I put a lot of thought into things, most of which I’ve never managed to write down - hence this mess. Still, interest, motivation, and momentum are often intertwined, so if there’s a lot of interest, we can see what people are into and shift in that direction. On the other hand, a lot of the ideas explored here - Asymmetry, Phases, Stats - if I run another project, expect to see them.

I do expect to run something.

I'd love to join if this ends up launching, if something similar in another setting is run I'd be up for that too.

The premise was fascinating, and I second Angst's notion of joining if it does launch.

If it doesn't though, you might want to update your signature.

Honestly I'm *craving* another State RP, and while I'm not the most active NESer, and got my start in IOT I would love to play if this or something similar ever launches. :)

Honestly I'm *craving* another State RP, and while I'm not the most active NESer, and got my start in IOT I would love to play if this or something similar ever launches. :)
Maybe something set in actual ancient Rome? Or how about a fictional Latin American or Middle Eastern state? I could do that...

Top Bottom