TH2 high seas archipeliago tropics emperor

Looked at save, good job Dave, only minor gripes

Several cities could use some serious whipping, working 2f 2c coast tiles is blech, whip lots of stuff long before that. Debbie Brahan(or W/E) is working some 1f/2 c tiles instead of having whipped the lighthouse it is working on.

Our production is largely from the whip, we have to use it in order to get stuff built.

Hmm... I have another evil plan for world domination if anyone is up to it...:mischief:

As it stands we will be first to Astronomy by MILES
AI's aren't quite as stupid as last game however we are the only person to know Asoka. He has served his purpose, he has 4 cities... let's take astronomy with lib then use spies + drill promoted Oromos to take him out (we have a ridiculous EP advantage)... I think we should trade edu + whatever Asoka wants for nat, if just for the draft, we should be drafting Oromos from our many cities and after Asoka I think we should tech steel while drafting more Oromos and take out Hannibal if at all possible, if we kill Hannibal the game is over, he is the only other one with any chance at all.

Meanwhile we should start workshopping as we will be going along chemistry line and we need production more than cottages as usual so workshop over EVERYTHING, idc if it as a town.

only exception is also my last gripe, our gp farm has cottages -.- farm over everything there.

In short, whip more often, production geared improvements, farm Gondar, and Spy-Oromo rape Asoka before anyone meets him.

Pindrus, thanks for that. I'm not sure how to count your vote, though.

In other news, I asked Whosit to join TH2 and he's accepted. I was impressed with his report in the open SG and we had an vacant slot in the roster, plus nocho is taking some leave and Arlborn is missing.

Loki, I cross posted with you. I wasn't sure how hard to whip as last game the word was to avoid double or triple whips. We do have the happy cap, though, and yes, a lot of cities are hammer weak, so what you said makes sense.

About the SE island, should that be farms or what? I'd like to thrash out the victory path so we know if we want to go workshops or cottages, too.

SE island I would workhop, lots of land tiles, those 2 will be major powerhouses, commerce is not an issue with GLH + harbors + we still end up working coast in lots of coastal cities

About double whipping, I will double or even triple whip for critical infrastructure regardless of happiness if that is main mode of production, and in the case of high happy caps, if a city is a small city and would only be working coast, I will whip all day and build up as big a penalty as I want as the happy cap never really become that big of an issue on a size 5-6 city, if you are ever in doubt, just whip something and if you are in danger of unhappiness build a few workers/settlers

on settlers, i think we should spam them until we grab gunpowder and settle out our surrounding islands

and welcome whosit.

Ha ha, thanks everyone. I'd have posted sooner, but I was waiting for Dave's introduction. I kept refreshing, wondering where it was . . . then I noticed I was refreshing page 6. Surely not a sign of things to come. :smoke:

It sounds like I'll be pushing my skills to the limit with this game, what with all the whipping and close attention to tile improvements. But, hey, that seems to be what Loki's here for! Just let me know when I'm up.

Oh, and speaking of espionage, I've never mastered that aspect of game play. Just what are you planning to do, and how do I do it? I've never figured out how to run the missions that actually blow things up.

Hmm... I have another evil plan for world domination if anyone is up to it...:mischief:

As it stands we will be first to Astronomy by MILES
AI's aren't quite as stupid as last game however we are the only person to know Asoka. He has served his purpose, he has 4 cities... let's take astronomy with lib then use spies + drill promoted Oromos to take him out (we have a ridiculous EP advantage)... I think we should trade edu + whatever Asoka wants for nat, if just for the draft, we should be drafting Oromos from our many cities and after Asoka I think we should tech steel while drafting more Oromos and take out Hannibal if at all possible, if we kill Hannibal the game is over, he is the only other one with any chance at all.

Ok, sounds like a decent plan, evil or not! :) Getting Delhi would be great. So I'll take nat from him in trade, self-research gunpowder and then on to steel. Maybe some trade opportunities come up with other AIs, though avoiding trade with Hannibal seems like a logical idea (like it was with Vicky in TH1).

And welcome Whosit! :)

Regarding the spies, Loki surely must mean to incite a revolt with spies in a city just when you go on the attack. It brings down the city defences to 0% for 1 turn, which makes it easier for the attackers and which lessens the need for siege units.

I'm very sorry but I planned to play this evening but something else has come up. So I'll have to skip anyway and will not be available till wednesday, apart from some occasional lurking.

So Sengir is up, or we can let our fresh new recruit Whosit dive right into the icy cold right now. :D;)

I can wait my turn or play next, as the group decides. I did take the liberty of peeking at the most recent save just to get a handle on what's going on. I'm going to start rambling now, to see if I've got a handle on the strategy so far.

So, it seems like there's been a major focus on rapid expansion, with a lot of food-heavy towns that get whipped, whipped, whipped. Commerce from water tiles, mostly, Yeha's 3 riverside dyes a notable exception. It looks like we're starting to run out of places that can be settled by galleys, but I saw there's some unclaimed land south and east that I gather will be explored once we circle the globe and get the movement bonus.

One thing, though. There's no barracks in the capital and right now it's building an archer. I don't know how critical it is to have a barracks there, but I thought I'd point it out.

Secondly, and hopefully this doesn't betray inexperience on my part, but it seems like we haven't made use of our unique building, the stele, at all. They're cheap, and the window to build them seems to be growing smaller, since they're obsolete with astronomy (if I understand that correctly, though, they simply can't be built after Astronomy, but their effects remain). With a 25% culture boost, it seems like it'd be nice to put in Gondar and the cities surrounding Bombay. Unless the plan is to assault India immediately (which seems to be in the cards?), stalling cultural takeover of our lands would be helpful. If war's a bit off, maybe we can snatch the iron tile from Bombay with a little added cultural pressure?

Then again, I just like cultural buildings. My love of infrastructure has at times made me a poor warmonger.

Actually, never mind that whole bit about Steles . . . is the plan to use Liberalism to snatch Astronomy? If that's the case, my little cultural window is already closed! :lol:

Either way, eliminating India's iron source shouldn't be hard at the start of hostilities since we can just walk some mounted troops over and cut it on the first turn, right?

Ok, second amendment. Looking at the trading screen, we're still locked on Liberalism, right? We could stall it a few turns to get those lovely bonus monuments. Right? Right? Sorry. I betray my builder leanings.

I'll stop my rant now. My main concern is that I'm not way out in left field so far as overall strategy goes.

Can't play tonight, but will be able to play coming weekend. So I won't mind if you pick it up first Whosit (also, Welcome :D).

About Stele's: don't bother. We won't take over bombay culturally as our cities are quite poorly placed for that and we're going to declare on him pretty soon (I agree with Norvins suggestion: spies and Oromo's should make short work of whatever Asoka has).

Barracks in Aksum: not a problem (yet) as the archers are for cardboard defense (aka Military Police). It needs a barracks before starting on real troops though.

Whosit, I reckon you should go next. Sengir's last message was that he couldn't play until the weekend.

I definitely should've built a barracks in the capital. What happened was that Gondar started to run into happiness problems so I just started cranking out some garrison troops. It probably won't make a difference (in the previous game we had warriors, in some cases as the sole garrison, right up to the industrial era) but after the first one or two I should've put in a barracks.

About the steles, well, the only thing we wanted culture for was border pops and we got that from the creative trait. There was some discussion about the Indian cultural encroachment east of Gondar, but the tiles in question are just coastal. Plus we'd be fighting a shrined capital, I don't think a stele would've helped much. So long as Gondar's corn remained ours, no worries.

OK, so what we're looking at is a mission for you. Take astronomy and go for the cannon techs, so next up gunpowder and then chemistry, which opens frigates. Sounds to me like a builder set. Don't neglect the military, whip in barracks in production cities.

Make the trade for Nationalism with the Indians. Revolt to Nationalism when you see fit, and start drafting Oromos. I'd suggest just as soon as we've got guns. The sweet bit is that we don't have to worry about promotions with the Oromos, they're already promoted. So you'll want to focus on building spies, galleons, and frigates, and just rely on conscript infantry. I wouldn't build siege.

As Loki pointed out, it's OK to double or triple whip. I turned over the save with some slack there. If you run into trouble with the happy cap, put that city on settlers. There should be enough workers for now, but we'll need settlers for islands, provided you can find some decent ones.

I also left you a war chest, so spend it wisely. Why not see if a promoted mace gets the drill promotions?

Use the caravels to score circumnavigation and then for exploration.

And I'm out of advice, over to you.

nocho, happy Easter. And to you, Sengir, you got in before me.

Alright, sounds like a plan ("Oh Bearded One," as a friend of mine would say). Apologies to those without beards.

I'll probably play the save this evening . . . or sooner if my will power weakens. I suppose I'll decrease our research after Liberalism so we don't have the enormous deficit.

My hunch is that a maceman upgraded to an oromos will get the free upgrades because it's an aspect of the unit, but I'll let you know if my hunch is wrong. Worst-case scenario, we'll just get oromos with City Raider upgrades, right?

Based on previous turns, I'll take 25-ish turns unless a stopping/decision point arises. Unless anything unforeseen happens, I'll do my best to prep the PIRATES for war.

Oh, yeah, once Astronomy is in, should I open borders with anyone further away to try and get trade routes, or are still in full "expansion denial" mode?

One MORE thing: Why are our religious buildings providing hammers? Most threads I read mention this, but I don't ever remember it in my games. I was playing 3.13 until recently, so was that a change in 3.17?

Open Borders ASAP, they don't have astro so they can't get to the other islands (and when they do have astro, they can reach them without OB's.

The hammers from religious buildings come from the Apostolic Palace (which Asoka built. It is one of the few wonders that also provides bonusses to other civs.)

Ah, that's why . . . . I'm rarely the same religion as the Civ who builds the AP. I'll have to reconsider that in the future. Anyway, I've started my set, though I'm still in the preturn "figure out what the heck's going on" stage.

PIRATES! or, How the Ethiopians Conquered the World

(Turns 234~260)

Preturn: Turn 234 (890 AD)

This will be a LONG preturn, as I'm going to try and check every nook and cranny to make sure I won't miss anything. Downside to coming into a game late.

Checked out which civics we're running. I noted that we'll change to Nationhood once we get nationalism.

As far as techs go, I noticed that we don't have the prerequisites for Chemistry. Namely, Construction and Engineering. With Liberalism done, I plan to nab Astronomy, go back and research Construction (because we can get it in 2 turns) and then see if Asoka will give us Engineering (assuming he has it). He's the only one who seems willing to trade right now. Heh. Poor, deluded fool.

Checking troop count and composition. There's that one Settler, which is supposed to go on the Western smidge island? Well, that's where he's going 'cuz there's a sign there. 10 Workers to 13 cities. Eh, I guess I'll throw in some more if cities need to be growth stunted. Boats: 3 Caravals, 3 Galleys, no Triremes. Probably enough boats to handle our needs for now.

I admire our cardboard-cutout army. Good thing Asoka likes us SO much! :D

Scrolling through towns:

Aksum: Que up a barracks to follow the archer. Since the capital actually produces hammers, seems like the thing to do.

Gondar: Forge finishing, Hindu Temple next. Looks good.

Lalibela: Harbor. Sure.

Addis Ababa: I see a sign that says "whip me often" so I make a judgement call. It's working on an archer . . . I decide to whip a fresh Hindu Temple for 4 population points because I think the extra happy and extra hammers will make it easier to whip in the future. (Let me know if this was a BAD judgement call.) Looks like it'll grow back fairly quickly.

Yeha: Long harbor, but sign says "grow me," so no whipping. Will hit health cap soon, but big deal.

Debre Berhan: Harbor in 20, but says "whip often," and I can whip it for the low-low price of 2 population points. Angry duration will be for 21, but as I (mis)understand Loki, if happy caps ever become an issue, just build settlers/workers.

Adulis: Let it work on lighthouse . . . no, wait. Yeah, I'll let it finish . . . nothing else will build any time soon.

Qohaito: Moai. Grows in 3 turns, will have it work mined hill, should cut a lot of turns off the build time.

Poor Matara says to "whip until improved." Well, I whip its Harbor, killing 3 population points. Or 232,000 people --> 48,000, for 184,000 dead! o_O I'm a mass murderer, and I haven't even technically started my turn set! This isn't even counting the OTHER towns. I'm . . . a monster! . . . . Oh well. On to the next vict-, er, town.

Hawulti: Also a sign to whip 'till improvement. Kill 2 population points to save 10 turns, for only 15 turns of unhappiness which means IT HADN'T BEEN WHIPPED ENOUGH! :lol:

Massawa: Lighthouse done in 4 turns. I let it off easy until the 120 turn harbor is up.

Adwa: Too few people to whip, but the two workboats should build nets next turn for fish and whales. Then it'll grow!

Fasil Ghebii: The fishing village has 1 population and no fishing nets. I'll check to see how many Work Boats we have and will build more if needed. Ah, they seem to be on their way. All is well.

Ok, I think I have a handle on what's going on. The active galley with the settler and worker, I send far northwest to the sign with "limited whipping on a small island." I use auto travel for ease.

Continue to explore with Caravals. The (renamed) Caravel 3 spies red borders to the far east, but it will have to wait until next turn to make contact. Who could it be?

Spoiler :

Fortify a Galley by Qohaito 'cuz I don't know what to do with it now. Hmm, wait . . . I send it to the capital so it can ferry troops around.

I contact Asoka to see what trades we can make. He's working Machinery, so I probably want to trade him our Machinery soon. First I try to see if he'll give us a good deal for Nationalism . . . . I'm still not sure what a "good deal" is, but he won't take it straight for Education. He wants Edu and Machinery and some cash. I'll negotiate, but since it sounds like we want nationalism badly, I'll make a trade this turn.

Arg! One thing that bugs me is that you can't talk down an AI from their offer like in Civ III . . . . He wants our world map and 500 gold on top of our techs. I decide to take it, since he doesn't know anyone else yet to give our map to.

Spoiler :

The Taj is still available, and Asoka doesn't have marble, but I won't go for it.

That ends the first turn, and I hit "enter."

Turn 235 (900 AD)

Liberalism is in, and so is Astronomy. Construction in 1 turn, so I'll wait until next turn to see if Asoka has Engineering.

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Aksum: End up putting in the Taj as a placeholder. 22 turns is tempting, and if it fails we get some gold, which we'll need since I just spent some and our deficit is still 130 gold. If we get it, a Golden Age probably won't hurt (too bad we don't have the Mausoleum).

Debre Berhan: Harbor -> Barracks in prep for whipped/drafted troops.

Matara: Harbor -> Library. It has a high enough commerce that I think a library will help.

Hawulti: Harbor -> Library. Also high commerce, and just 5 turns. Harbor + Library seems like a good gig.

Speak of the Devil, the Mausoleum is built in a far away land.

Cut science to 80%. Still running a 71 gold deficit, but it seems more manageable now.

Move workers by Matara to start a sheep pasture next turn.

The red is the Dutch, led by Willem van Oranje. He's the one who founded Confucionism, but isway behind on techs, so no threat, but he's got ivory and will sign open borders. I offer a dyes and clams for the ivory. He takes it. Now we can whip even MORE! :whipped: :satan:

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Start some more farms by Matara and build some nets.

Hit enter.

Turn 236 (910 AD)

Construction is in. Starting Gunpowder.

Spoiler :

Archer finishes in Addis Ababa, start an observatory to take advantage of commerce.

Notice a GP is likely to pop from Gondar, probably a Scientist. I'll have to take a break here, anyway, so I'll see if you guys can tell me what to do with him until I pick it up again. Decide to chop down the plains forest south of Gondar to make a farm.

Asoka doesn't have Engineering, but he's teching it and will be done in 7 turns. Since it'll take 7 turns for gunpowder (maybe longer if I cut research to save money), we can probably wait to trade for it?

Hannibal is willing to trade Drama, Theology, Horseback Riding, 30 cash and his map, we can offer Philosophy and Compass. Is it worth trading? Drama and HBR might be useful.

Oh, and I have NOT switched to Nationalism. I figured I'd wait until at least Gunpowder was finished.

Only a couple turns in, and already it's this long! Next post should be a bit shorter. I'll finish my set this evening, probably.

I just had a second to pop by (couldn't resist), so just some remarks:

- get Willem's map, we'll need it to get the circumnavigation the sooner the better. Some gold will do. And maybe it will show the missing AI.
- sign open border with everybody but Asoka
- don't trade techs with Hannibal, he is top dog and we shouldn't help him by trading
- indeed revolt to nationalism when gunpowder is in and start drafting
- after that i'd say chemistry - steel line.
- if we get a GS, not sure what to do. Probably just bulb something, will be printing press I think. Is on the way to rifling so is ok.
- I would try to get more universities, so we can get oxford at some point
- play the number of turns you want, but I would say that we're in a rather critical phase now and we just have started to get to know a whole bunch of AIs, so there will probably be much more decision points than before. Not that I don't trust your judgement, but maybe 15 turns from now on is better just because there will probably be more to discuss.

And: good luck! :D

Alright, so I continue where I left off.

I get Open Borders with Hannible, but no such luck with good old Charlie, seeing as how we are his worst enemy. Oh well.

I get Willem's map for 35 gold, and I think it's just enough to give us Circumnavigation! Also, as Nocho supposed, I can see the other Civ. It's the Ottomans, as the capital is Istanbul. I'll sail over and say my hellos and see if they'll trade with us.

I also realize that losing 65 gold a turn at 80% science is not going to work over the long term. I know we need to start building ships soon, but I think I'll add marketplaces to our richest cities so that we won't go broke. There aren't a lot of good options, though . . . .

Enter.

Turn 237 (920 AD)

Well, in between turns, old Willem comes crawling to us, asking for Literature. Normally, I wouldn't give in to these demands, but he's so far behind anyway, I figure we might as well cultivate a friendly trading partner, for now. I give him literature. He bumps up to Pleased due to a huge +4 Fair Trade and a +1 Gave Help bonus.

Gunpowder jumps from 7 turns to 5.

We get Al-Razi, the great scientists, and we've proven that the world is round, so our boats go faster. Yay! As Nocho thought, he'll put 2610 beakers into Printing Press. That would leave about 1100 beakers for us to research, so maybe 3-4 turns, maybe a bit more if they decay. We have an academy in the capital, and I don't know if settling him will do us much good, especially once we move out of Bureaucracy. I go ahead and bulb it.

Spoiler :

Caravels do their thing. Put Qohaito's new worker on the mine, stagnating, but cutting 6 turns off the Moai Statues. I run a quick town check.

Poor, poor, Matara. I can save 10 turns on its library if I whip it for 1 pop. We're at 37 turns of unhappiness, but we're way below the happy cap, so . . . :whipped: And I throw in a market for afterwards. Everything else seems OK for the moment.

Hit enter.

Turn 238 (930 AD)

Send the Caravel that met Willem west to start exploring that black space. Runs into a barbarian galley. Hopefully it'll survive the coming attack.

Spoiler :

We meet Suleiman! Man, his eyes always creep me out . . . . Sign open borders. He has cows. Hm. Give him corn. And then dial up Willem and give him an extra sheep for bananas. I'm just doing this 'cuz at least one town has hit health problems and we want to make sure growth speeds along. Besides, we're making "friends."

Spoiler :

Everything else still seems to be running, so enter time.

Turn 239 (940 AD)

Our Caravel sinks the barb galley, but it's hurt. I keep it moving for now, though, plan to end in ocean for safety. Not much else. Slowly gaining some money, but still bleeding a ton of it.

Spoiler :

Enter.

Turn 240 (950 AD)

Hawulti's borders expand. Yipi.

Wounded Caravel 3 finds a little island with incense, but it's rather far. Settler arrives at "limited whipping" sign. I shudder to think what'll happen to our maintenence fees.

Spoiler :

We're 2 turns from gunpowder, and Asoka is 4 turns from Engineering. I decide I might as well scoop up our bulbed Printing Press in between, which the game estimates will take 3 turns at current research levels.

Whip an 118 turn harbor in Massaw for 3 pop. Start a library.

Enter.

Turn 241 (960 AD)

Suleiman wants to trade maps. I don't. The AP elections come up. I vote for us.
Willem gets Moses, a Great Prophet.

Wandering Caravel notices that Suleiman is trying to expand into his norther ice box. Another boat scouts Charlie's heathen territory.

Settle Zeila, start a Granary. Workers build a windmill instead of a mine. Costs us 8 gold.

Start my turnly town check.

16 turns to get the Taj. Whip a barracks in Debre Berhan and prep a Hindu Temple. Whip a Granary in Adwa.

Enter.

Turn 242 (970 AD)
Hannibal wants to trade techs. But I'm on a strict "No Hannibal Trades" diet, so I decline.

Gunpowder is in! 2 Turns to Printing Press. I decide to hold off on the revolt because I kind of want the Taj and Bureau really boosts the Capital's hammer production. Hopefully this isn't a long-shot on my part, but if we do build it, we get the free golden age and anarchy free civic changes! If we lose it, we get cash. Seems like a win/win to me.

Spoiler :

Lalibela builds a harbor, I start a University.

We win the AP elections because we can out-vote Asoka. :lol:
Great Spy born in a far away land.
Start shipping a worker from Hawulti to Fasil, the fishing village, to work the hill in the radius as the Western island can probably be handled by one worker for now.

Found a barb town out east sitting on some stone. Great person due in capital in 8 turns. Most likely another scientist.

I go ahead and whip an 11 turn Harbor in Yeha, even though it says "grow me" because it only costs 1 population and we need the extra income . . . . I have it prep a market.
Smack a library into Massawa for 2 population points. I set up a courthouse because it should save us about 4 gold. We need it. That's about all for now. Once Gondar finishes its temple in 6 turns, I'll probably set it to some troops. Printing Press is at 3 now, probably 'cuz I killed too many people . . . .

Enter.

Turn 243 (980 AD)

Matara's borders expand.

Wounded Caravel spies 2 barb galleys, but our boat is safely in the ocean.
Do some worker stuff, making farms and clearing jungle on the south east island. Asoka gets Engineering next turn, and I'll try to bum that AND his 840 gold, because we need the money . . . .

Whip the temple in "whip me often" Debre Berhan. Prep a University.
Also whip a temple in Hawulti. Also ready a University. Actually, I slip in a workboat first for the new fishing town nearby.
Whip lighthouse in Adwa. Starts on its readied courthouse.

Enter.

Turn 244 (990 AD)

Suleiman wants Monotheism and 305 gold for horseback riding. No, thanks.

Some more exploring.

I offer Asoka Liberalism in exchange for Engineering and all his money. He doesn't take. He wants Optics, too, but we probably don't want to let him have it just yet. I decide to wait until we have Printing Press, too. I don't want to give him optics unless we can build Privateers to sink 'em. I mean, the deal was in his favor ANYWAY! ARG! I look forward to when we wipe 'im out. He's friendly. You'd think he wouldn't rip us off so much. We just need that cash badly, otherwise I'd straight up trade the techs.

Enter.

Turn 245 (1000 AD)

Printing Press is in. Doesn't really affect our commerce, ha!

Spoiler :

Our spies tell us that Asoka is working on Optics, he'll have it in for turns, so I guess I'll trade . . . . Maybe our incoming Scientist can help us get Chemistry out the door and we can whip some Privateers to go Caravel hunting.

So I offer Liberalism and Optics for Engineering and 890 gold. He won't take it! Grrrr.
Ok, Liberalism and PRINTING PRESS?! Well, I get all his tech, his map, and 880 gold (the B****** won't give me the other 10 coins). Meh. He'll be dead soon anyway.

With all that, Chemistry done in 8 while we lose 71 gold per turn.

I don't have a lot of time now, so I'll just highlight everything important in the next few turns until the GS appears.

Turn 246: Whip Courhouse in Massawa. Should save 4-5 gold. Prep Univ.

Turn 248: finally smart enough to go gold hunting. Get 5 gold from Hammurabi for sheep. Give an extra silver to Suleiman for 4 gold. Wish there was more to get. Note the trades so they can be cancelled, if you want.

Whip Market in Matara, prep Univ.

Turn 249: Sending Galley from Capital to pick up workers at fishing village.
Taj is due in 8, but Aksum grows in 4, and I think we can actually whip it then . . . . I que an Oromo just in case.

Turn 250: We get our GS. I do some ship moving. Ending here. No time for pictures at the moment. I'll load 'em later, but I'll put up the save now. Sorry I didn't get much military built, but I felt that we needed a LOT of infrastructure. Costs are killing us and I'm not clever enough to dig us out without dropping research below 50%. But I think our mainland cities can do troops now/soon.

Attachments

• PIRATES AD-1050.CivBeyondSwordSave
    220.3 KB · Views: 59
Got it, will play tonight.

Some comments:
Gondar should be building specialist buildings and run some more instead of running those cottages. It should probably build a observatory first for the additional scientist.

Lalibela should be building troops, no uni (I propose to not build OU this time around. It takes too many hammers which are better invested in troops).

Markets are of little value as we are running the slider pretty high. Better to build observatories instead if you really want to build infra. Our economy is more then decent and will be even moreso after taking out Asoka.

Check the cities to make sure they are running the right specialist if they are running any (I found a couple of spy-specialists)

Also: don't cue stuff, it makes me miss things.

Trading Lib to Asoka meant that he switched to FR, meaning he is not friendly with us anymore (who cares), so we go FR for now (along with Nationhood), I don't think that the ploy we used last time works this time around as the other civs have all different fav civics, but maybe Loki can work something out (not a point right now as we don't have their religion in our empire).

Techwise there's nothing the AI's have right now that is interesting for us. Our own route should probably be Chem > Steel > SM (scientist can bulb) > Communism (or physics if we want the free GS).
RP for lumbermills would be nice for some cities but requires Feud, Guilds Banking which we can better try to trade for at some point then research it ourselves.

Plan:
Get a bunch of spies to Asoka's cities. (6) (we've got enough points for all his cities provided we get a bit of discount.)
Get a bunch of galleons for transporting troops. (6)
Get a bunch of trebs for collateral damage and upgrade to cannons (6) (we probably won't even need those as Asoka hasn't got Feudalism yet, so no longbows for him, only archers.)
Get a bunch of Oromos for taking cities (8)
OB with Asoka to get the spies in place, city sites available are crap anyway and I doubt even an AI will settle them.

If no one objects I'm going to skip the uni's (and OU) in favor of troops. I won't finish the markets either. Depending on what the spies find I might even declare on Asoka on my turn, otherwise I'll leave the war to the next player.

frigates don't do collateral. The defense will be brought down by spies (at least in the case of Asoka, after Asoka we're going to need frigates, both for bombing defenses and for protecting the galleons.)

Sorry about Gondar. That temple was in the que, so I thought it had been planned in advance. I apologize about my own queing. I meant to only put things in the "que" after I had whipped something. You're also right about the observatories > markets; I think I had a little gpt panic.

One thing I was thinking of: If Sengir finishes the Taj (my ill-conceived gambit), and since I ended up picking up Theology, would it be a good idea to switch to Theocracy instead of Freedom of Religion, at least for the short term, so our troops get some XP? I read about how drafting works, and it says a drafted soldier gets half the XP a normally trained soldier would have. If we build barracks in the Cap and anywhere else we want troops built (that also has our state religion), even a drafted troop would come out with a promotion on top of the free Drill II. With the Golden Age, there would still be time to get a free revolt to FR after we draft a few troops.

Oh, and no objections to troop building, since that's what I should have been doing anyway. We can upgrade our galleys to galleons to save time, though it's 155 gold per upgrade.

I'd rather have better relations with the other civs, so that we might trade with them.
I don't think we'll have a problem with the Taj Mahal, as we were able to trade nat with Asoka, so he was not building it at least and we have marble so should be able to get it out quicker. (can't remember if anyone else has it though. EDIT: just checked. Nobody else has it, so Taj Mahal is ours.).

Upgrading Galleys is ok. Hammers are more valueable then gold and harder to get by.

Top Bottom