1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The 3.0 Development Thread

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Star Trek Mod' started by deanej, Aug 16, 2009.

1. jfby

jfby Chieftain

I will be more than happy to do so this evening, I can send you some links and a couple of my files that I have modified.

2. TC01

TC01 Chieftain

Why not just post your work as a modmod, in this forum, for everyone? It sounds interesting.

3. jfby

jfby Chieftain

Yea... the thing is I'm still working on the 3.0 version.

The mod is favored towards the Federation, not in terms of power, but in unit variety. In the end the choices are Saratoga class (not canon, but meant as a 'modern' Miranda), retrofitted Excelsior and Galaxy, Sovereign, Akira, Prometheus, and Defiant. I never got around to giving unique ships for every class to other races besides UFP, KE, RSE, Ferengi, Borg, Cardassian, Dominion, and Breen.

As many have said in the forum before, balancing is a big issue. I've been pretty successful with 1.0 and 2.0, but whenever I play with the Borg the dominate. This is fun, but I hate when everyone is more or less even, then a swarm of massively powered ships roll in.

Right now I'm pretty much copy and pasting ships stats from 2.0, but I don't have nearly as much free time as I did back then.

4. deanej

deanej Chieftain

Thankfully the ships didn't change as much as in 2.0.

The Borg have always been a tricky civ to balance. In addition to balancing them with the rest of the civs, you have to balance balancing them with the desire of many to see them as powerful as in the series. The current compromise is that the Borg get powerful ships, but they cost twice as much and their AI does play as the Borg act (which does not work well with civ's mechanics, so this balances them in the hands of the AI).

5. jfby

jfby Chieftain

I like what you've done with them for the main mod.
    It would be cool to have a Borg invasion type mod where it is them versus some kind of alliance in the alpha/delta quadrant.

6. TC01

TC01 Chieftain

I believe one of the scenarios that deanej was working on (originally for 3.0; now for 4.0) was some kind of Borg invasion scenario.