1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The 3.0 Development Thread

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Star Trek Mod' started by deanej, Aug 16, 2009.

1. deanej

deanej Chieftain

I'm starting this thread to announce that the 3.0 development period has officially begun (meaning that any more updates to Star Trek will probably be done for 3.0 and not patched to 2.0). I'll use this thread for some updates, but some stuff like civ traits and unique wonders will probably get their own threads (as I'll be looking to the community for some design on them; some are set, some I have no idea of what I want to do). 3.0's development will probably be slower than 2.0. Hopefully it will be less chaotic as well (for 2.0 I got a lot of stuff done in the first month, then it slowed down, stopped for a little while, and then finished quickly). My first change: disabling the unit cost mod python callback (which isn't used).

2. TC01

TC01 Chieftain

While I haven't had much time to work on it, I have updated to Random Events topic with 5 more events to the "Uncoded Events" part. I'm going to be testing some out when (if) I have time.

The first two events listed in Uncoded Events I was unable to make work. But I kept them up there in case I did something wrong.

3. Dimmi007

Dimmi007 Chieftain

this might seem dumb but, is there any planned release date? :D

4. deanej

deanej Chieftain

5. God-Emperor

God-Emperor Chieftain

So as to prevent any sort of temporal paradox, I'd recommend releasing it at some point after now but before any later version is released.

6. Bill Bisco

Bill Bisco Callous Calling

The biggest problem with the mod (for me) is that it doesn't feel Star Trek enough. The ships look fine, but all the improvements and techs and sound clips just detract from the experience.

7. TC01

TC01 Chieftain

If you want to improve the speed of Final Frontier, I imagine merging in the CAR Mod would be very helpful (in addition to disabling callbacks that can be disabled and adding other stuff to the SDK).

8. apenpaap

apenpaap Tsar of all the Internets

For the diplomusic for the orions, "Bound" has several tracks you could use. Otherwise "Badda-bing, Badda-bang" has several tracks that are kind of fitting with their organized crime theme.

9. TC01

TC01 Chieftain

Are there any scenarios planned for 3.0 yet? I know there was something about a Borg scenario somewhere.

10. deanej

deanej Chieftain

The borg one, The Maquis Rebellion, and three in the mirror universe.

11. TC01

TC01 Chieftain

Sound like cool ideas for scenarios. :goodjob:

Also I just released v1.2 of Cloaking Devices, which as far as I can tell is the "final version" of the modcomp, if you want to include it in 3.0. It doesn't add any complicated AI scripting, but adds it to all scenarios and adds a sound effect to cloaking/decloaking.

12. apenpaap

I have a suggestion for some leaders for existing civs for 3.0, they are also in my modmod:

Garak (Charismatic, Inquisitive) for Cardassia, as that civ really lacks an espionage-oriented leader.
    Either Chang or Kor (Either could be Aggresive, Industrious or something like that) for the Klingons would be a good leader, because ATm the Klingons only have 24th century leaders.
    Jaro Essa (Spiritual, Inquisitive or Protective) would be a good leader for Bajor.
    Odo (Industrious, ???) as a more peaceful leader for the Dominion.
    Seska (Inquisitive, Rebellious) for the Kazons.
    Mirror Kira (Charismatic, ???) would be a good leader for the Klingon-Cardassian Alliance.

13. deanej

deanej Chieftain

While not required, I do follow the Firaxis convention of having each leader use a unique trait combo. I also don't plan to go past three leaders per civ (I have both Akorem Laan and Jaro Essa on as Bajoran leaders on the chart right now, so one will wind up dropped). I added a couple from that list, already had a couple, and changed one of mine to one of yours. I would attach the spreadsheet I'm using, but the forum does not allow you to attach excel documents. I do still need civ colors and diplo music for some civ's so I've also put some info on that in the spoiler. For player colors my main concern is that they not be too close to the colors of other civs. Feel free to make some up, just give me the color values so I can add them.

Spoiler :
    -Klingon: Chang
    -Dominion: Odo
    -Borg: Lore
    -Cardassia: Garak
    -Kazon: Seska
    -Bajor: Akorem Laan or Jaro Essa
    -Alliance: Kira
    --
    -Xindi: Degra, Dolim (Light Yellow)
    -Maquis: Eddington (Light Brown)
    -Orion Syndicate: Harrad-Sar (Dark Purple)
    -Suliban: Silik (Pink) (use Xindi diplo)
    -Voth: Gegen, Odala (???) (???)
    -Species 8472: Boothby (???)(???)

Oh, also forgot: The Eugenics Wars is planned to have significant updates for 3.0.

14. deanej

deanej Chieftain

One thing I'm planning for 3.0 is to change what the Barracks does. Given that every military production city is likely to have one (even with the AI), having it give city raider/garrison promotions seems to not be a great effect (just one is unbalancing/unrealistic, both cancel each other out). Any ideas on what else it could do?

15. jfby

jfby Chieftain

It could give city raider promotion only but to balance it out give -1 or -2 to happiness.

16. Trajan7

Trajan7 Imperator

Why not have it just give new units experience, so the player can decide what to use it for?

17. apenpaap

This. That would also make the Galor a better UU.

18. jfby

jfby Chieftain

That is true. I still think there could be a negative effect to show the effects of an increasing militaristic society has on the morale of the people.

19. deanej

deanej Chieftain

You know, I though I had another building granting experience, which is why I didn't consider it. I'll have it give 5 XP; that way you get two promos from them like now, they're just whatever you pick.

20. apenpaap

Glad to hear that. I wasn't very fond of the coolest civilization in the game having a rather weak UU (Which is why I gave them moving starbases in my modmod).