1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The 33rd Asterix Book is Released Today!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Rambuchan, Oct 14, 2005.

1. Evie

Evie Pronounced like Eevee

The review in the newspaper here did mention robots and aliens too.

And they rated it 1.5/5.

2. mitsho

mitsho Deity

The alien names are anagrams of Walt Disney and Manga afaik. The first alien race looks a bit like Mickey mouse and the other has the "Asian eyes". This shows somehow that Uderzo is old too and tries desperately to be up to date... ;) terribly, I'm nevertheless gonna buy it probably.

mitsho

PS: And oh, the robots look like good ol' Arnie Schwarzenegger, as far as I have been told.

3. Kan' Sharuminar

Kan' Sharuminar Fluffy

My oh my, I haven't read Asterix books for a long while. From what I'm reading, another innocent part of my childhood is breaking.

Methinks I'll avoid this thread from now on...for my own protection.

4. Urederra

Urederra Mostly harmless

Asterix is overrated.

It is amusing to read, that is true, but there are so many books and comics better written and, way better drawn. It is nice to read them on the library or even in a bookstore but I would never pay so much for that type of comics.

5. mrtn

mrtn Shaven not stirred

I'm in the old man camp here; Uderzo should have hired a skilled writer instead of trying to do a job he's not very capable of. I'll probably buy it some time or other, but I'm not thrilled.

On the names issue I've read Asterix in Swedish, Danish, Norwegian and English, and the names are different in all languages. :)

6. MCdread

MCdread Couldn't she get drowned?

Better drawn, sure. Better written, probably too. But if you're saying that Goscinny's texts aren't particulary good or much better than average, either you're reading a lousy translation or not paying much atention to the subtle gags and jokes.

7. silver 2039

silver 2039 Deity

I still have all the Asteix books.....hmm...I'll look into this one.

8. kryszcztov

kryszcztov Deity

I read it last night, and am quite disappointed. :( The main plot is lousy, and doesn't satisfy the expectations raised with the perfect title and cover image. On the whole this album doesn't bring much to the series. I would have expected something related to Astérix's time, and something a little more metaphorical regarding the title. It's too bad that the Gaulish village claims that they only fear the sky falling on their head during 32 albums, and then get rid of this fear within a few pages here. :blush: The humour is still there, but in less quantity and quality, and only fills the holes instead of sustaining the main plot (which appears to be not funny at all).

9. EquinoxOmega

EquinoxOmega Scientist

I've not read the comic yet, but as much as I've read about it, i think that he killed the spirit of Asterix. I quiet sure it would be possible to become more political without these excagerated and ridiculous figurs(Arnold Schwarzenegger and Aliens). They just doesn't fit in the world of Asterix.

10. carlosMM

carlosMM Deity

gargh, i KNOW I will read it one day, and hate it. Sucks, I am sure, just like the last ones.

RIP, Goscinny!

11. Dominus Romae

Dominus Romae Warlord

What a pity Goscinny is dead. I liked very much the first Asterix stories, those back from the 60's. Obviously, I am not that old ;). But I've read many Asterix books.

edit - visited and bookmarked a fan site. He is dead since 1977 :eek:! This was a looong ago, and most of the Asterix stories are dated back from the 1970's and 60's, I guess.

12. jameson

jameson Emperor

Aliens in Astérix is just sacrilege - but then I was already shocked to come across a number of new translations were Abraracourcix and Assurancetourix had been renamed Heroïx and Kakofonix, respectively.

I stand before the ruins of my world view.

13. Dominus Romae

Dominus Romae Warlord

Are you serious? Well, things are pretty much corrupted then.

14. Rambuchan

Rambuchan The Funky President

I must say it is sad to read kryszcztov's review post. I'm fully aware they have gone down hill, but this sounds like a bit of a rollercoaster ride down hill. I mean, they get over their fear of the sky falling on their heads? That's just wrong. Oh and as for those gaming Asterix books - they were definitely crud.

My favourite would probably have to be Asterix and the Big Fight. :) And yes, Obelix is the star of the show.

15. MCdread

MCdread Couldn't she get drowned?

Come at my arms!! :D

Could the ending of the fear of the sky falling be a subtle reference that this is the last album? The gauls loosing their fear would be an autobiographic signature of Uderzo himself, meaning that he too has lost his fear and is ready to go meet Goscinny...

Anyway, the fans have tried to found hints like this in each of the 3 or 4 albums, and then he announces that is working on another one.

16. mrtn

mrtn Shaven not stirred

One of my biggest favourites is an album which I think is called "Asterix and the chieftains shield" in English. :)

17. Steph

Steph Multi Many Tasks man Retired Moderator

A friend bought it. I had a look at a few pages.
    I decided not to read it, not to buy it, to refuse it if someone offers it to me, and to hunt Uderzo to burn him on the stakes if I can get my hands on him.

18. Rambuchan

Rambuchan The Funky President

Reported for trolling and now I'm going to hunt you down :mad:

[jokes]

@ MCDread: You might be right with the signature from the author but you just never know.

19. kryszcztov

kryszcztov Deity

Well, they still have that fear, but seeing aliens fall from the sky should at least be a metaphorical way to simulate it. After a few pages it is clear that these aliens are just stupid and not scary. Good, it leads to some humour (always love it when Obélix punches a foe ! :D ). But this album's title should have lead to much, much more drama methinks. Maybe some gods descending on Earth, showing their weaknesses in the end ?? Or some meteorological event... Some Astérix stories have much drama without losing the sense of humour too much. I would have liked a dramatic story for a change, whereas this story doesn't bug the Gaul village in any way.

I like the stories where they travel a lot, like The Odyssey, or The Tour of Gaul... so fun. :)

20. Steph

Steph Multi Many Tasks man Retired Moderator

Come on! If I were Gosciny, I would raise for the grave and haunt Uderzo to the 10th generation for all the crap of this latest album!

BTW, my favourite is Asterix in Corsica.