1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Alexander the Great Project!

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Graphics Modpacks' started by The Capo, May 24, 2009.

1. DarkReborn

DarkReborn Dancing Mad

I really like this, the original Alexander model is well... uninspiring to conquest :D

2. The Capo

The Capo godless Heathen

Wow, that looks great!

I can't wait to use that in my mod when it is finished.

3. TheLastOne36

TheLastOne36 Deity

VeBear move it to your thread, I really want to see this be developed! :D

Capo, are you going to include an individual Mameluk civ or put it togather with Egypt getting rid of Kleo?

4. The Capo

The Capo godless Heathen

Probably neither. I'll either use it for a civ in the mod or for a module, but I already have a list of Egyptian leaders (Amenhotep III, Ptolemy Soter, Ramesses II, and Hatshepsut) and I limit it to four per civ in my mod. So no Mamelukes or Arab leaders for Egypt.

And Cleopatra was never part of my mod, not even the first edition.

5. JA_Lamb

JA_Lamb Warlord

Hi, first off I really love this Alexander LH. Congrats to the team. I downloaded it a couple of months ago and had no problems since then. the idea to include extra art is very clever. :hatsoff:

Question, How do we the uninitiated in LH manipulation change the art succesfully assuming I can read tags and labels within the art files and can help myself with XML editing and follow non-graphic instructions. What files within the art files can be changed? How do I change backgrounds and what BK do I use with the new background?

[offtopic] This is an out of subject question but most probabaly to the most expert people whose excellent work the rest of us all, shamelessly use to mod our games. Is there a bovine type single headed, single standing unit (not a resource) anywhere on the forums? i.e. not attached to a cart etc. I've been looking for a month and know about the bears, lionesses et all including the boar. But had no luck for a bovine/cow type.

Thanks and waiting to see your new creations. :rockon:

PS. A couple of other famous ancient Greek leaders were Xenophon famous even in his lifetime for the succesful retreat of the 10 000 after Cyrus death and the only Athenian known to have commanded Spartans succesfully; Themistocles (rummoured to have been a Red haired) who beat Xerxes and broke his fleet after they took out Leonidas and his 300; Miltiades who beat Darius at the lake of Marathon and the idea for the start of this race run not with a fresh start, but by someone after a full days battle! No wonder he died. Just some ideas and background.

6. Ekmek

Ekmek on steam: ekmek_e

So I think I can post this now.

Looks like the Civ5 Alex had some inspiration :eek:

Attached Files:

7. TheLadiesOgre

TheLadiesOgre Aspiring Codesmith

Congrats to everyone who worked on him, it must make you all proud

8. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

From the film, i'm sure :mischief:.

9. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

Is it disparaging on the Civ5 art designers to say I like the community Alexander more than the Civ5 one?

EDIT: That isn't saying their leaderhead is nothing if not impressive.

10. The Almighty dF

The Almighty dF Pharaoh

Nah. Graphically, modded Civ4 is still far ahead of Civ5. So just imagine how Civ5'll look once people figure out how to mod it (if it's as moddable as repeatedly claimed.)
    Also, admitedly, Civ5 Alexander's head bugs me. It just looks... odd. The shape of it I mean, and the positioning of the face.
    Washington also looks -extremely- off (I remember even when he was first revealed people debating on if it was a poorly done Jefferson or some German leader), which is funny given how accurate Civ4's looks.

11. Ekmek

I think th emodel is good. I think the civ5 hair is off and the face. BUT we will not be able to mod civ5 leaders - they were made in the $12K or so program called granny and their inst a plug-in for blender to do it. I also heard Firaxis edited granny to make their leaders. So what we are going to do is take our civ4 models and put them in civ5.

12. The Capo

The Capo godless Heathen

To me the best thing about this is that they are at least considering "suggestions" from the modding community. I'm happy that the Civ5 Alex looks a lot like ours, but it doesn't really matter that much to me.

Having said all of that, and I direct this at The_J, those who created the Civ4 Alex did NOT take much from the film. We used frescos and designs from history, I will admit the film may have had SOME minor influence on it, but if you read this thread you will see the majority was taken from ancient artwork. :goodjob:

Just had to defend my craft a bit there.

EDIT: And also, if you look at the overall picture there, we certainly did have an influence on it. I'm sure it was mostly Ekmek, but still, that is a great looking Alexander and I appreciate that they went in a more historical direction with him.

13. The Capo

The Capo godless Heathen

Bitter-sweet news at best. :(

14. Lord Tirian

Lord Tirian Erratic Poster

*ouch*... burn on that. That's actually leaving me a bit peeved, because AFAIK, the facial expressions of the leader appear to be a pretty important way to tell a leader's attitude (since there is no furious/annoyed/cautious etc. indicator any longer) - that makes good models a lot more important than "just eye candy". :sad:

On the other hand, I think Ekmek-made LHs - even if converted up from Civ4 - are totally going to make the cut! :D

Cheers, LT.

15. IgorS

IgorS Your ad could be here!

The question is: can Civ 4 LHs work in Civ 5?

16. veBear

veBear Slumerican Citizen

Yes they can, so we can remove new Alex if we want and add the one made by these guys.

Everyone, be sure to check out the norse civ development thread for Civ V in my sig. We need you (yes you) now.

17. Ekmek

yes but they need to be converted and when you import your nif you have to imprt the animation file as well then export it as an FBX (its native to blender so if you are up and running on blender you are already there)

then you need to use the Civ5 mod tools - Nexus specifically. I haven't gotten a model in game yet but I know most the steps and will try again soon. It shouldn't be long.

On the plus side Civ4 could inherit alot of our new leaders since we have to work with nifs in the first place

18. IgorS

IgorS Your ad could be here!

What about speech? Can you add your own speech to Civ 4 LHs when you use them in Civ 5? If yes, I'm sure you know I'll always be ready to help you with Hebrew/Russian/Ukrainian LHs.

19. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

mmhh...i can cut this out and move it to Civ5 C&C, if someone thinks it is necessary.

I don't see how you can use the Civ4 models for Civ5.
    Bringing the needed facial expressions to the Civ4 models will probably take weeks, even when you are experienced (i guess).

20. Ekmek

well lip synching will be close to impossible but happy etc isnt that hard AND I saw that therer is animation map which is real cool because you can have differnt moods blend with other animations so just taking two animations and changing when the transition takes place will make each state differnt. so no on lip synching but yes on converting.