The Art Thread

Rambuchan said:
Well I don't see how you will post anything other than the sheet music for classical music. You can't post us MP3s. If you feel you have to, then go ahead with the sheet music, but it might look a bit weird :lol:.

Don't go looking for snakes, you might find them :p

I could post a direct link that automatically makes you order a CD :mischief:

:eek: Those are something else! Great post man! But do you have any links for us to find out more (which don't sell us CDs)? I'm sure we will see many more Romanticism painters, a region of my mind has run off thinking of some already. ;)

I'm glad you liked it.
The obligatory Wikilink: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romanticism

add:
Just saw on the link above:
Romanticism in the German-speaking world

* Caspar David Friedrich (painter)
* Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (poet, essayist, nature philosopher)

I could kill the Englishmen for always considering Goethe to be a romanticist!!! :mad: :ar15: :queen: :hammer:

Just another one I like, though not concerning nature:

,,Frau am Fenster" / ,,Women at the window"

Wow! those are amazing! My fav is "Abtei im Eichwald", but i am a bizarre girl with an obsession with ruins :p I like the sunset in the background too

feline_dacat said:
Wow! those are amazing! My fav is "Abtei im Eichwald", but i am a bizarre girl with an obsession with ruins :p I like the sunset in the background too

Yes, it's a great one. But IIRC, this one was destroyed in 1945.

Perhaps my favorite artist is DE ES. His middle period where he studied light and stone and was able to produce amazing visions is I think my favorite, though his transformation through his career is inspiring in its own right.
http://www.dees.at/

Attachments

• rg_DeEs_FacingTheLight.jpg
    rg_DeEs_FacingTheLight.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 46
  • 04 light.jpg
    04 light.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 58
I like DE ES a lot. He reminds me a lot of a great fantasy artist called Tim White. Bold, imaginative and stylish images there Pirate. The rock figures in both those paintings remind me of the big rock character in the Never Ending Story. :) He looks like he could well have done some film production design work or cartoon work also. Anyway, I had a look around and found these ones I really like. Unfortunately there is no information for each painting, just general info.

"My formula for the stonepaintings revealed itself when grass and trees were no longer relevant to the world of strange phenomena in which I was immersed. Stone turned into a symbol for all matter.

The strength of stone was able to communicate the idea that man is in a constant struggle to fulfill the desire to be strong, to live long, to transcend a body made of flesh and bone and to defy gravity. My images depict light as the source of all matter with man striving to be reunited with it in a quest to transcend the limitations of matter."
DE ES.

This is my favourite one of all those I found on his site. Escher, Dali, Bosch and many other great artists' work can be seen in this painting, it's amazing! *continues staring at it, finding new things in it every second*

The next artist featured:

Edvard Munch
(b. Dec. 12, 1863, Löten, Nor.--d. Jan. 23, 1944, Ekely, near Oslo)
"Norwegian painter and printmaker whose intense, evocative treatment of psychological and emotional themes was a major influence on the development of German Expressionism in the early 20th century. His painting The Cry (1893) is regarded as an icon of existential anguish".
Very good source for his themes and motifs

Let’s start with some self portraits of the man. You can see how his work slowly progresses into a more and more anxious state. His never ending concern with existential themes of anguish can be seen to mature in these three self portraits. Notice the two objects that he places himself ‘between’ in the third.

"Self Portrait", 1881-2
Oil on canvas
25.5 x 18.5 cm

"Self Portrait with Cigarette", 1895
Oil on canvas
110.5 x 85.5 cm

Self Portrait – “Between Clock and Bed” 1940-42
Oil on canvas, 149.5 x 120.5 cm

"Munch was chiefly concerned with his own existential drama: 'My art', he declared, 'is rooted in a single reflection: why am I not as others are? Why was there a curse on my cradle? Why did I come into the world without any choice?', adding 'My art gives meaning to my life'.
http://www.artchive.com/artchive/M/munch.html

“Dead Mother”
1899-1900 (130 Kb); Oil on canvas, 39 3/8 x 35 3/8

“Madonna”
– who was after all a mother who lost her child.
1894-95; Oil on canvas, 91 x 70.5 cm

"Death in the Sickroom", 1896
Lithograph
40 x 54 cm

"[An] anxiety haunts the work of Edvard Munch, [that] is expressed with a formal inventiveness that impinges upon the emotions before we are even aware of the subject; the deeper regions of the psyche are accessible only through the potent agency of rhythm and color."
"Anxiety", 1896
Lithograph 42 x 38.7 cm

“Puberty” 1895
Oil on canvas, 150 x 110 cm (59 5/8 x 43 1/4 in)

But is wasn’t all doom and gloom and death and worry. Here is one called “The Dance of Life”, one of many he did on the subject of ‘love’.

"The Dance of Life", 1900
Oil on canvas
125.5 x 190.5 cm

“The Scream” or “The Cry” 1893
Casein/waxed crayon and tempera on paper (cardboard), 91 x 73.5 cm (35 7/8 x 29")

This painting was actually stolen from The Munch Museum in Norway quite recently.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/3588282.stm

One very concise distillation of what Edvard Munch’s work was about can be found in Joseph Conrad’s “Heart of Darkness”, the words were also uttered by Marlon Brando in “Apocalypse Now” (which was based on Conrad’s book). Those words of course were:

“The Horror, the horror….”

This is a very good website for his life and works.
http://www.calarts.edu/~rjaster/edvard-munch/index1.htm

I might contribute later, but right now I feel like being a critic so here are my opinions of the current CFC gallery :)

Marcel Durchap

Inspires me to contemplate historic manufacturing processes or tools, but after that the items are perceived as clutter and shunned.

Salvador Dali

Obviously organic, his later paintings make me think of decomposing flesh. I cannot tolerate these pieces outside "history of art".

Andy Goldsworthy

I especially appreciate those pieces which take advantage of the physical properties in minerals and photons, and it makes me think of life.

M.C. Esher

These drawings make me think of school where they were very common, in classrooms or on T-shirts. They inspired me to sketch similar and they are perceived more as doodles.

Bridget Riley

Reminds me of Commodore 64 and Amiga loading screens, and thus very repetitive space fillers well suited to building up anticipation of some self-respecting art.

Claud Monet

I wish these were photographs - I cannot see the depictions clearly. Landscapes are nice.

Casper David Friedrich

The church, and ruins are dark and moody, but I like them. The ones with inactive people make me feel as though I am observing characters who are observing the landscape. This frustrates me, and makes me feel like I am wasting time... (time to go)

stormbind said:
I might contribute later, but right now I feel like being a critic so here are my opinions of the current CFC gallery :)
Here are my discussion points in navy blue:

Marcel Durchap

Inspires me to contemplate historic manufacturing processes or tools, but after that the items are perceived as clutter and shunned.

He would have been pleased with your first comments. His timing in history is totally relevant to your comments, and others on modernisation, industrialisation, collectivism, consumerism, mass production etc. As for 'clutter and shunned', again I'm not sure what you're on about. If you're saying that the objects look out of place and inappropriate then again, the Absurdist in Duchamp would have danced for joy.

Salvador Dali

Obviously organic, his later paintings make me think of decomposing flesh. I cannot tolerate these pieces outside "history of art".

Personally I find Dali's work great to look at out of history of art. There is something meditative about looking at his work, which is hardly surprising seeing as he painted his subconcious. I will always treasure seeing some Dali as a teenager in a gallery in Berlin. My eye was just led around his majestic painting technique by these very organic styles you describe. As for 'rotting flesh', this is partly related to what the Edvard Munch entry is about - the existential horror of being human. Again, subconcious wandering are bound to come up with this darkness - but I prefer that to pretty pictures personally.

Andy Goldsworthy

I especially appreciate those pieces which take advantage of the physical properties in minerals and photons, and it makes me think of life.

Yes he is a master! A real breath of fresh air! I was actually tutored by someone who was in turn tutored by Goldsworthy, so I got plenty of insights into his work. We went on many art residency courses and I did a great deal of conceptual art based on Goldsworthy's ideas of art being: > Temporary and 'biodegradable' > In tune with nature > Comparing and contraasting natural and man-made materials > Bold sense of colour. BTW - I seem to remember that Goldsworthy actually did many Duchamp style 'ready mades' himself. One I remember clearly, which influenced my work a lot, was a ladder leading up a blue wall that had a cloud painted on it. It was simply called the 'Stairway to Heaven'. Perhaps I will dig out some photos of that kind of work I did.

M.C. Esher

These drawings make me think of school where they were very common, in classrooms or on T-shirts. They inspired me to sketch similar and they are perceived more as doodles.

It's a shame Escher gets received this way by so many people, including myself. I guess he's just been overkilled? I'm sure that he was on about a great deal more than just doodling. But I've never actually scratched the surface to find out what. Anyone got anything further on his ideas and themes?

Bridget Riley

Reminds me of Commodore 64 and Amiga loading screens, and thus very repetitive space fillers well suited to building up anticipation of some self-respecting art.

Sure, but you've got to give the lady MASSIVE credit for her contribution to London's Swinging 60s style. She was the trailblazer and much of Britain's sense of cool, which really ignited in that period, is really down to Riley's aesthetic sense. She has been copied over and over and over to death in every walk of life. From the dresses girls wore back then to the design on the covering of the seats on public trains today. Her work found its way onto curtains, lampshades, record covers, into films, more fashion and so on. So the Commodore and Amiga connections you are finding are only the tip of the iceberg. :)

Claud Monet

I wish these were photographs - I cannot see the depictions clearly. Landscapes are nice.

Are you for real? You wished they were photos? :shakehead What's the point in painting then? What's the point in Impressionism then? :crazyeye:

I also did a lot of photography in an Impressionist style. I did a lot of soft focus shots, with saturated colour, to capture the intensity of a moment. I might get those out and post them up too.

Casper David Friedrich

The church, and ruins are dark and moody, but I like them. The ones with inactive people make me feel as though I am observing characters who are observing the landscape. This frustrates me, and makes me feel like I am wasting time... (time to go)

I got the same sense as you did, but I did find some empathy with the people in the 'Chalk Cliffs' painting. I felt like I was standing there with them and enjoying the view. The 'Chausseur in the Woods' was too far away, too distracted and oblivious to the viewer to feel as involved.

Rambuchan said:
Here are my discussion points in navy blue:

Marcel Durchap

He would have been pleased with your first comments. His timing in history is totally relevant to your comments, and others on modernisation, industrialisation, collectivism, consumerism, mass production etc. As for 'clutter and shunned', again I'm not sure what you're on about. If you're saying that the objects look out of place and inappropriate then again, the Absurdist in Duchamp would have danced for joy.

The idea that these examples are clutter, is my reaction to imagining them in my living space. For me, art must have a purpose (to inspire or create a setting) and these pieces get old very quick. I could live with a print, but not the original.

Salvador Dali

Personally I find Dali's work great to look at out of history of art. There is something meditative about looking at his work, which is hardly surprising seeing as he painted his subconcious. I will always treasure seeing some Dali as a teenager in a gallery in Berlin. My eye was just led around his majestic painting technique by these very organic styles you describe. As for 'rotting flesh', this is partly related to what the Edvard Munch entry is about - the existential horror of being human. Again, subconcious wandering are bound to come up with this darkness - but I prefer that to pretty pictures personally.

Your adoration of being led around by organic structures causes me to cringe. If the same shapes and the same paths were portrayed through natural geological structures or manufactured tools, then I could go wander his world and not feel icky about it.

Andy Goldsworthy

Yes he is a master! A real breath of fresh air! I was actually tutored by someone who was in turn tutored by Goldsworthy, so I got plenty of insights into his work. We went on many art residency courses and I did a great deal of conceptual art based on Goldsworthy's ideas of art being: > Temporary and 'biodegradable' > In tune with nature > Comparing and contraasting natural and man-made materials > Bold sense of colour. BTW - I seem to remember that Goldsworthy actually did many Duchamp style 'ready mades' himself. One I remember clearly, which influenced my work a lot, was a ladder leading up a blue wall that had a cloud painted on it. It was simply called the 'Stairway to Heaven'. Perhaps I will dig out some photos of that kind of work I did.

I am blind to the 'biodegradable' aspect described. It strikes me as being frozen in time, tranquil and unchanging - just like me! :cry:

M.C. Esher

It's a shame Escher gets received this way by so many people, including myself. I guess he's just been overkilled? I'm sure that he was on about a great deal more than just doodling. But I've never actually scratched the surface to find out what. Anyone got anything further on his ideas and themes?

Done to death.

Bridget Riley

Sure, but you've got to give the lady MASSIVE credit for her contribution to London's Swinging 60s style. She was the trailblazer and much of Britain's sense of cool, which really ignited in that period, is really down to Riley's aesthetic sense. She has been copied over and over and over to death in every walk of life. From the dresses girls wore back then to the design on the covering of the seats on public trains today. Her work found its way onto curtains, lampshades, record covers, into films, more fashion and so on. So the Commodore and Amiga connections you are finding are only the tip of the iceberg. :)

As a child, remnants of her influence gave me nightmares ;)

Claud Monet

Are you for real? You wished they were photos? :shakehead What's the point in painting then? What's the point in Impressionism then? :crazyeye:

I also did a lot of photography in an Impressionist style. I did a lot of soft focus shots, with saturated colour, to capture the intensity of a moment. I might get those out and post them up too.

I want the artist to bring the landscape to me: show me how air tastes, how the earth feels between toes, &c. The landscape is an interesting one but the impression fails to deliver anything of inspiration, it is like looking through a dirty window on a rainy day.

Casper David Friedrich

I got the same sense as you did, but I did find some empathy with the people in the 'Chalk Cliffs' painting. I felt like I was standing there with them and enjoying the view. The 'Chausseur in the Woods' was too far away, too distracted and oblivious to the viewer to feel as involved.

At first I felt similarly about the 'Chalk Cliffs' but on closer inspection the people seem so fake and indifferent. The only setting that made me ponder events with any amount of depth was the abandoned wood axe, maybe it's owner was recently eaten by a bear? :mischief:

Although I failed to find a good example, some Ancient Greek statues create inspiration. They were mathematically designed to be show the character in a relaxed and active state at once.

Although not the best example, this Hercules has one arm completely relaxed but the muscles in his other arm show signs of tension - giving the impression that he is poised for action. The legs on this particular statue fail to suggest the same but on good examples, they too give the impression that the character is both relaxed and poised to move.

For me, the combination inspires a sense of cool-headed strategic timing.

Most of what you say is a matter of taste Storm. It would be inappropriate for me to debate those points. The Duchamp discussion is interesting. My first response would be "Well Duchamp didn't want his works to be displayed in a home, they are not about art in that sense you speak of. They are supposed to exist in a gallery space in order to ridicule the art establishment". However I thought about it a bit more and notice in the noted that he created "The Wheel" as a point of personal pleasure, to be enjoyed in his home. Anyway, I don't often think of Duchamp in the context of sitting on a wall at home. I see him as some guy flicking the middle finger at all the stuffy visions of 'art' we have been so conditioned by. Well worth having him around IMO. I offer Exhibit A in Duchamp's defense:

Rene Magritte's "Ceci n'est pas une Pipe" or "This is not a Pipe" of 1926

This is moving into the discussions about Reality and Abstractions (such as names, maps, numbers, letters etc) which I started going on about when showing some of my paintings in the Draw A Little Thread, where I have posted some of my paintings dealing with the same themes as Magritte's example here.

Oh I have plenty to say about those Greek statues! I'm a bit pressed at work this avo, so can't go into it too much. But you are right about the arms and legs' positioning, making him look composed but poised for action. This has a lot to do with composition being perfectly balanced yet somehow uneasy. The limbs typically fill out four different areas of the rectangle you could draw around his body, with say the left leg occupying one quarter and the other occupying the 'lower back quarter' and the arms filling in alternate 'quarters' too. I can't remember the name of this technique :hmm:. But yes, it is excellent sculture and well worth noting that these Greek scupltures were quite contradictory to the reason, rationale, accuracy and scientific precision they claimed to be born out of. Oh no, those scupltures are examples of 'hyper reality'. Aspects are enlarged and diminshed at turns, to achieve that 'super real' look.

I have heard that before, but they do not strike me as being 'hyper reality' - though I'll concede they are in better shape than me :sad:

The following image is not what I was looking for, or maybe it was... I was searching for a famous painting of a French riverbank covered in Victorian observers, but I cannot remember it's name and Google images isn't helping :sad:

For several weeks or months, I have been seeking something warm and colourful for personal use. The following is by Susy Andron, whoever she is, and I like it's sizzling emptiness. It is a bit too simple and bombastic for my taste (reminds me of vulgar 'arts & crafts') but the method/aproach may work for something with more meaning.

Never mind, I have gone off that already. Someday, I'll discover the perfect piece.

Top Bottom