The barbarians are too strong!

That's great. I approve of this thing you have done for them.

As a sidenote, the Frostlings become less irritating (and way less likely to obliterate the Illians themselves) if you move the Samhain ritual back to Mysticism.

I THINK the results are adjusted by the level of the unit.

I KNOW there is a lesser badgoody result attached to, of all things, Courage.

Theoretically, having the Adventurer promotion is supposed to affect the results positively too, but I never found that to be the case.

The problem with the level of the unit adjusting the results is that most of the lairs, etc. are explored in the early game when units do not have a high level. Many units get killed before they can level up to take advantage of this...if there is an advantage. You just don't see many exploration possibilities in the later game now IMO.

I don't understand that impact of Courage on exploration, but again, by the time my units have Courage most the lairs, etc. are gone.

The problem with the level of the unit adjusting the results is that most of the lairs, etc. are explored in the early game when units do not have a high level. Many units get killed before they can level up to take advantage of this...if there is an advantage. You just don't see many exploration possibilities in the later game now IMO.

Lairs spawn constantly for the entire length of the game. There should be plenty of opportunities.

Lairs got a lot of work while you were gone Sars, so all your previous data is mostly outdated :) (Courage, Adventurer and Hero each augment your results now, get all 3 and it is quite a dramatic change). Lairs spawn all game long. AI uses lairs. And it is near impossible to get an invalid lair result now (ie - promotions which you already have)

I really think it doesn't make sense that frostlings pose any danger to the Illians at all.

Would there be any issues in adding a fourth barbarian faction, "Frostlings". Leader "Mulcarn"
I'd hope that, if the problems with the barbarians are worked out, it should be trivial to add more barb factions infinitely. Or is there some limit in there?

At least you guys are seeing them defend the forts once your culture takes over the tiles. All of the (very few) games I have run through personally to test something the moment my culture touches a Gobbo Fort the defender just wanders off for some reason. Was going to check into what was going on, but I suppose if most other people don't see that it could have just been a Giant Spider happened to take over guard duty or something.

I've not been seeing this. Started a game last night, built my capital literally adjacent to a goblin fort. The archer stayed there forever.

strangely, they never do ranged attacks. I'd like to see the goblin archers rain arrows on anyone who passes their fort.

I've not been seeing this. Started a game last night, built my capital literally adjacent to a goblin fort. The archer stayed there forever.

strangely, they never do ranged attacks. I'd like to see the goblin archers rain arrows on anyone who passes their fort.

Scorpion Clan archers can't under Patch J. They're at least able to with K, though can't promise they will if they're on "guard duty"...

Lairs got a lot of work while you were gone Sars, so all your previous data is mostly outdated :) (Courage, Adventurer and Hero each augment your results now, get all 3 and it is quite a dramatic change). Lairs spawn all game long. AI uses lairs. And it is near impossible to get an invalid lair result now (ie - promotions which you already have)

I am seeing some of these in the 4 games I've tried to play.

How/where do the lairs spawn in later game because I am not seeing those? I guess not in your borders unless you get the event that lets you buy one. And, if the map is filled, no new spawns?

Does the Hero of Foxford count as augmenting results? I'd like to see the unit that is the Hero of Foxford be eligible for the Hero promotion as it is rare enough.

Anyway, that gives me something to try - get all three if I can and see the results.

One 'promotion' that my explorers have gotten more than once is the Spirit Guide, so that isn't working. It is nice to get the XP that comes with it multiple times though. :)

I have noticed now no Scouts getting Enchanted Blades or Warriors getting Poisoned Blades.

Nice job, guys!:)

Think it was intended by Kael, and is only on the Scorpion Clan goblin archers. It is a little tricky to deal with though (with axemen - even champions aren't even a sure thing). I've changed the strength to 3/4 +1 Poison (so 4/5). They remain a good defensive unit for the forts, just not quite as good as they were before.

That's certainly better, but they still remain a 4 attack unit, if they ever decide to attack. And they're on par with human archers defensiely. It just seems a bit odd.

Why not 1/3 +1 poison, and make them more numerous? It would be more appropriate, I think. Given that goblins are generally weak, and triumph only in numbers.

Does the Hero of Foxford count as augmenting results? I'd like to see the unit that is the Hero of Foxford be eligible for the Hero promotion as it is rare enough.

Speaking of the Hero of Foxford in a thread about barbs...

Anyone else constantly seeing a Barb unit "Goblin of Foxford"? Seems the barbarians are stealing the Foxford event before I can even find it.

Note: seen this in games with no Clan player, I was writing it off to For the Horde

New Lairs spawn in any unowned tile, if appropriate for the tile (shipwrecks in water, Hellfire on Hell Terrain...)

Hero of Foxford doesn't augment results, but it wouldn't be a bad idea if it did. Though maybe that should wait until Werewolf actually lets you spawn werewolves so that it doesn't become the ONLY beneficial choice.

For SpiritGuide it is still giving you something (the XP) which is what allows it to work. What I meant was that you should never get a result which actually does NOTHING at all because you already have ALL the promotions it offers and it offers nothing else (ie - one gives you Courage, and another gives you 3 promotions, to include courage. You could get them in that order, but not in the other order)

Scorpion Gobbos are forced to sit on the fort via python interception of their move orders. The new approach I used to ensure that the AI is better with magic and ranged attacks MIGHT keep them making ranged attacks since it doesn't use the normal "What do I do?" check which is overridden, but instead it works one loop earlier in the "Who should I command next?" check. If that doesn't catch us though, they will ONLY do ranged attacks if python tells them to attempt to do one.

For SpiritGuide it is still giving you something (the XP) which is what allows it to work. What I meant was that you should never get a result which actually does NOTHING at all because you already have ALL the promotions it offers and it offers nothing else (ie - one gives you Courage, and another gives you 3 promotions, to include courage. You could get them in that order, but not in the other order)

I can see your point here, but there are other outcomes that give only xp, and would be more suitable

Personally, I'd rather that units with Spirit Guide didn't get that outcome. The Spirit guide is the main part of it, the xp seems to be just a nice extra

Also, saving foxford is already the only beneficial choice. It gives the unit Adventurer and some free xp, and it makes the plot more profitable. The werewolf choice essentially does nothing.

It seems that the werewolf choice would be somewhat appropriate to simply make the plot inactive for a short period of time. After that time you can return to be requested to make the same choice again. Then (at the risk of losing units), you can build up quite a few werewolves. (this to balance the improved plot yields of the other choice)

ooo that would be neat. Could eventually have a hero show up and shut it down.

It seems that the werewolf choice would be somewhat appropriate to simply make the plot inactive for a short period of time. After that time you can return to be requested to make the same choice again. Then (at the risk of losing units), you can build up quite a few werewolves. (this to balance the improved plot yields of the other choice)

The Werewolf choice actually "destroys" the village though (removes the yields from it). The feature was only ever a homage to NotW and was a fairly quick implementation - it probably needs an overhaul at some point.

I don't see what would be the point in returning. you can get more werewolves by simply killing stuff.

Or you would be able to, if it worked.

But I do worry that having a werewolf early on would be horribly overpowered. Ravenous wolves start at str5. Which is more than a match for the 1-2 warriors that are defending an average city in the first 100 turns or so.

Someone has to start near it. And that person would be able to steamroll everyone around them with ease.

Any chance you could make Foxford's spawning into the world a random event rather than an at the start Unique Feature? Then 1) not every game would have it and 2) you could have it happen at whatever turn number you felt was appropriate for the choices.

Well, I'd want Foxford to stay as it is, and to tweak the werewolf this way: it would randomly grant "shifted" promotion (like crazed works with enraged) which gives +% str but -% against hunters/rangers/beastmasters and gives you a chance to turn a victim into a werewolf. But it lasts until the next battle. Then, after your unit drank some blood, it reverts to a normal form and you should wait for another transformation. It should balance it out a bit.

Shifted can grant the unit the Beast unitclass until the fight's over, now that that promotion code is working. (Xiven T'nava in Fall Flat abuses that ability with his Charlatan Disciples, so it does work pretty well.)

Top Bottom