The CFC World of Warcraft Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm slightly annoyed at the leveling pace. I can't keep my alts profession stay with his levels, I out level most zones 3/4 through the quest list and thats with out going to any instances. Due to the speed I have zero incentive to upgrade my gear(it'll be outdated within the hour) and on my main he's level 82 and he hasn't killed a single thing or done a single quest. Its all from mining. Getting experience from my professions is very annoying.

But I love archaeology, and I love Vash;jir and Uldum, and some of the gear is very very cool. A lot of other awesome stuff but the leveling speed is so annoying it takes a lot out of the expansion for me

Who's Trawn? ;)

Ooops. Sorry. :lol:

I'm slightly annoyed at the leveling pace. I can't keep my alts profession stay with his levels, I out level most zones 3/4 through the quest list and thats with out going to any instances. Due to the speed I have zero incentive to upgrade my gear(it'll be outdated within the hour) and on my main he's level 82 and he hasn't killed a single thing or done a single quest. Its all from mining. Getting experience from my professions is very annoying.

But I love archaeology, and I love Vash;jir and Uldum, and some of the gear is very very cool. A lot of other awesome stuff but the leveling speed is so annoying it takes a lot out of the expansion for me

I havent done anything with archaeology yet. Wouldnt even know where to start.

But if your complaining about getting xp for an alt from harvesting, then you must completely hate the fishing/cooking daily out of Org. My warlock turned in two quests and over 1k each and instantly leveled!!! And they are easy quests too.

On to something more seasonal. I noticed they put in the winter quest NPCs and all the decorations in recently. I did manage to get the summer title. Is there a winter one as well? Whats it going to take to get that?

Wow, you've gone up 2 levels just from Mining?!? I had no idea professions gave XP now. (I don't do professions on any character, really... I already have a day job, I don't need to log into an MMO and spend hours on manual labor!) That's crazy.

I do agree that the leveling pace is ridiculously fast, now. Especially in lower levels - I played for maybe 3 hours one night earlier this week and my worgen alt went up 8 levels. I don't even know what level my characters are anymoe because it changes so frequently. I also don't bother going back to towns to visit trainers every other level, either... if I did, I'd be flying back every 30 minutes. I just went back to a city at the end of the night and trained my new spells for 16, 18, and 20 all at once. :crazyeye:

I just checked out Archaeology yesterday for the first time. Cute, but seems labor-intensive for very little payoff. You skill up very slowly (at least at first) and wandering around some arbitrary area on your map and clicking Survey until you find some old dwarven crockery isn't really my idea of fun. :p

RE: The holiday quests... the title for the Xmas event was/is "Merrymaker." I don't know what you have to do to earn it, though; I tend to ignore most of the holiday quests too. :lol:

The Merrymaker title is fairly easy to get. :) Don't need to visit enemy cities either I think...

Shldn't be an issue.

I ran my first instances last night on my main (I've been slacking, I know) and I'm pretty pleased so far... bosses are definitely tougher. You don't just run in and zergAOE everything like we did all throughout WotLK dungeons. (And I'm a paladin tank, so AOE was the name of the game in my groups.) I like that we have to have at least a basic understanding of encounter strategy. Of course this may all change as everyone gears up, but hopefully Heroics will bring the challenge once players get to that point.

I'm not too sure about the itemization changes, though. It's getting harder to differentiate gear according to role - which may be part of the point, but it means more specs competing more often. In a TotT run last night, a plate helm dropped with STR, STA, crit, and mastery stats... and as the plate DPSer in the group (I'm Ret atm) it looked real nice. But the tank (a warrior) had kind of a viable interest in it too, so we both rolled Need in the end. I was fine with that - it's a level 82 blue, not the end-all be-all - but it seems that the line between "dps plate" and "tank plate" is much blurrier than before.

I fear that those changes may put DPSers in a tougher spot, too. IMO, you're not going to see DPSers rolling on items with +parry or +dodge very often; those are more clearly tank-specific. But tanks might want haste or crit as much as a DPSer does, and so far I've seen tanks roll on every drop that would have been considered DPS gear, pre-Cata.

What do you guys think? I've only been leveling my paladin so far, so I've only paid attention to platemail drops. Are you seeing similar overlap with other classes / specs?

Tanks should generally go after gear with defensive stats like dodge, parry etc. At 85 I wouldn't expect a tank to compete with a dps for a piece of gear with crit/mastery, as crit definitely isn't a tanking stat. ;)

While leveling it's probably not a big deal though.

Tanks should generally go after gear with defensive stats like dodge, parry etc. At 85 I wouldn't expect a tank to compete with a dps for a piece of gear with crit/mastery, as crit definitely isn't a tanking stat. ;)

That was my thinking too, and I agree that it's not a big deal. I just found it odd that in three different instance runs so far, I've had to roll against tanks on an item that seems pretty clearly a DPS piece (crit, haste, or maybe hit rating). But given that several stats have been removed or merged into base attributes, gear is now more homogenous and it's getting a little weird.

And of course, there's the usual "OOOH SHINY!" reaction from a lot of people who just see any gear that they can equip as an 'upgrade.' :rolleyes:

Well Archaeology is a bit labour intensive for little pay off, but its a very nice change of pace from the usual spotting a node on the mini-map racing to get to hit, only to either A) find someone has beaten you to it. B) you've trained a few mobs and need to kill them only to have someone take you node while your fighting or C) beat someone else to the node only to have them /rude /spit or whisper you some insults.

and as for upgrades I can't find any good upgrades for my one hand tanking weapons so I just might roll on DPS item just so I can stop using a iLVL 200 mace and start using a iLVL300+ weapon that has three times the stamina and comes with mastery points

A lot of the DPS blue plate has a lot more stamina then epic 80 gear. Also you need the item level just to get to heroics. I've had some blue heroic DPS legs for a while, just changed it to tank heroic legs, but better then the alternatives.

and as for upgrades I can't find any good upgrades for my one hand tanking weapons so I just might roll on DPS item just so I can stop using a iLVL 200 mace and start using a iLVL300+ weapon that has three times the stamina and comes with mastery points

Just FYI - Stonecore (normal) has a decent level 81 sword (1H) with parry and expertise (I think?) on it.

And yeah, I'm not saying that blue Cata gear is worse than epic LK gear, just a little surprised at how willing everyone is to roll on items that aren't intended for their spec. Of course it's just leveling gear anyway, but the homogenization of gear and stats in general has definitely made it so you're going to be competing across roles for drops more often than before.

In other news, Uldum is pretty awesome. Might be my favorite new zone in Cata so far. :goodjob:

I'm just bumping this thread. I find it interesting no one is playing or commenting about this game here at CFC? It is the most popular game in the world pretty much, yet it hasn't had a post in over 3 months.

I really wish I could play it actually, but the game is too addictive and gives me carpal tunnel syndrome. I was thinking a lot about this game last night. Flashbacks of past quests. I was thinking of Un'goro Crater last night and some of those quests. I wonder how different the zones are with the new expansion. It has been 1 year since I have played.

What I really would like is a different input device that doesn't aggravate my left and right hands, fingers, and wrists. Even my forearms would hurt during some of my WOW heavy playing. I wish technology would evolve so we can have a mind machine interface link. I would permanently link myself to the computer and never leave. I'd have to install a toilet in front on my computer and just sit on that the whole time. Then I could play WOW 16 hours a day at least.

What I really would like is a different input device that doesn't aggravate my left and right hands, fingers, and wrists. Even my forearms would hurt during some of my WOW heavy playing. I wish technology would evolve so we can have a mind machine interface link. I would permanently link myself to the computer and never leave. I'd have to install a toilet in front on my computer and just sit on that the whole time. Then I could play WOW 16 hours a day at least.

Hehe, saying this is kind of scary.

As for me, I haven't played it since before Lich King. Actually, the minute I eventually managed to find a job years ago, I found that I my interest for WoW dwindled. I still want to play it once in a while but I am resisting until Guild Wars 2 comes out.

Thing is, with WoW, I found that, after I got my job, the "mere" 2 hours every couple of days I could give it weren't enough to make it a satisfying experience anymore. I am aware you can play this game at any pace, but personally, I found that the experience was quite lessened with a reduced level of commitment. Half your friends were now 40 levels higher than you, it took at least a week to level out of a particular zone, it was harder to find people you knew to do dungeons with, many many different things, can't explain exactly in details. All that was still consistently fun was exploring the world itself, but I had alraedy done that before so even this wasn't as attractive anymore.

So yeah, my personal feeling was that even though the game can be played at any pace, I wasn't able to find the fun as much anymore if I didn't spend as many hours on it as I used to. So I switched to other games.

I was thinking of Un'goro Crater last night and some of those quests. I wonder how different the zones are with the new expansion.

The content in the 80-85 zones is very, very different (which is good) and the revamped 1-60 old world content is really good. Cataclysm was a pretty effective expansion, IMO.

That said, I lost interest in WoW overall and cancelled my account last month. I hadn't logged in for weeks, and the times I did play before that were very brief and sporadic. I only got one character to 85 before I lost interest. The game itself isn't to blame; I just don't stay interested in an MMO unless I have a solid group of people to play it with. Most of the friends I used to run with aren't around anymore, so it just didn't have much lasting appeal. Plus, ME2 is way fun. ;)

I'm just bumping this thread. I find it interesting no one is playing or commenting about this game here at CFC? It is the most popular game in the world pretty much, yet it hasn't had a post in over 3 months.

I really wish I could play it actually, but the game is too addictive and gives me carpal tunnel syndrome. I was thinking a lot about this game last night. Flashbacks of past quests. I was thinking of Un'goro Crater last night and some of those quests. I wonder how different the zones are with the new expansion. It has been 1 year since I have played.

Seek a doctor. :)

Are you talking about a mental doctor or a physical doctor? :D

How much money does WoW cost a year in subscriptions/game itself?

EDIT: And who wants to help a little poor boy in his WoW trial? :o

Standard subscription is 15 USD per mth, for US servers. Rate is slightly lowered if you subscribe in bulk.

Not sure about game-cards, since I used to pay by credit card... Of course, you need to buy the game and xpacks as well.

Ok. So not going to get the full game anytime soon. xD

Just went through the first couple of quests of the trial, as a goblin mage(real dumb). Fixed camera angle seems weird as well as moving with wasd, after so long playing games with right click to move.

The camera angle isn't fixed. If you can't move it around by holding down the right mouse button and moving your mouse, have a look in the options to see if there's any mouse look thing there. I'm not at home so can't have a look. :(

You could think of it as being more like an fps (if you rebind a and d to strafe left and right respectively), and look around using your mouse, rather than right clicking to move somewhere.

I actually tried wow when it first came out, but never got past a level 10 warrior. A couple years later after I was unemployed and BC came out, I played it fanatically. I went on to a NE druid which I didn't like, then went onto a horde hunter character which was my first 70. But then moved on to a Shaman for my second 70. That Shaman horde character turned into my main. I just wanted to say: For the Horde! I actually do have a few alliance alts, but nothing can beat the Horde.

The controls of WOW are pretty good, although as I mentioned above I do have carpal tunnel problems, and there are a few too many button pushes required for this game. It's very action orientated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom