The Cold War 1947 - 1991

Any unit that can only attack twice in a turn only becomes overwhelming if your opponent manages to concentrate them.

Frankly, this is the first MP match. If someone thinks the Soviets are totally outclassed I'm more than happy to play 10 turns of a parallel game to prove they too can steamroll.

Sharing a bit more information than I should probably have to (not that anyone asked me to):

upload_2021-3-1_12-8-57.png

upload_2021-3-1_12-9-14.png
upload_2021-3-1_12-9-41.png
upload_2021-3-1_12-10-21.png

This is part of the fleet that was amassed to attack Korea. All of this damage was done by the defenders. If this same fleet was brought to this same level of damage attacking a city that had air cover on stand by, I doubt the results would be pretty. Indeed, I only risked it because I used a strat bomber to figure out how many fighters would attack, and guessed that there was limited air cover available. As it stands, most of these are under direct threat on a 1-turn basis from strat bombers flying from Nomohan. All of them would be susceptible to Tu-95 bears. None of these vessels can strike back against those aircraft and require a constant CAP by fighters to protect them from events that might or might not materialize. Frankly, once the Tu-95 and Tu-160 come online, with 25 and 35 MP respectively, there's a great chance that none of these direct attack vessels will be all that useful, because they'd constantly be within range (certainly I wouldn't be able to attack twice - that would be a luxury of attacking places without such air cover).

Clearly, the cruisers and destroyers have to be withdrawn at this point. 1-2 of the battleships probably should be, and all of the battleships would need to be after one more encounter with a BMP-1 or tank.

Also of note, it costs 84,600 gold to rush-build a BB of these from scratch. This is 10x the cost of a A-7 Crusader (the American Tier II fighter bomber with a 27-shield row cost). Of note, the Soviet Tier III Su-25 has a 26-shield row cost. Again, a battleship can't be purchased via arms sales or other mechanism like the planes can be.

Not trying to be too pushy over the point, but I again fail to see how "overwhelming shore bombardment" is an issue in this scenario. In our game, it is 1956 and the Battleship is still formidable. In a few more decades, it will be phased out for the less powerful but more survivable AEGIS cruiser.

I'm far more concerned with how realistic it is that an insurrection can actually capture cities that are defended by tanks with 8-12 defense and 30 hit points. To me, that is the issue that might need fixing. Hence the proposals to either increase the number of RPGs in a rebellion, give them "ignore city walls," give rebels a boost while on jungle, or some combo of the three.

Without taking veteran status into consideration but with implementing the 50% defensive bonus of walls since all cities have them. Calculations are per Kobayashi's Battle Outcome Simulator:

RPG, nil, 0, 2.,0, 10a,1d, 2h,5f,

M26 Pershing, CA, 0, 4.,0, 8a,8d, 3h,2f, (really has 12 defense with city walls) = Odds of RPG winning, 51%; average tank HP when it wins = 44%

M1 Abrams, nil, 0, 4.,0, 12a,12d, 3h,2f, (really has 18 defense with city walls) = Odds of RPG winning, 16%; average tank HP when it wins = 51%

This clearly seems to be problematic. Just as an example, if we did impart a +5 bonus from jungle to the attack value of the RPG:

M26 Pershing, CA, 0, 4.,0, 8a,8d, 3h,2f, (really has 12 defense with city walls) = Odds of RPG winning, 93%; average tank HP when it wins = Math error because it's so low
M1 Abrams, nil, 0, 4.,0, 12a,12d, 3h,2f, (really has 18 defense with city walls) = Odds of RPG winning, 55%; average tank HP when it wins = 40%

Finally, here's the results if we have the RPG ignore city walls (which would basically make the walls examples above "veteran defender" examples instead, anyway.

M26 Pershing, CA, 0, 4.,0, 8a,8d, 3h,2f, = Odds of RPG winning, 94%; average tank HP when it wins = Math error because it's so low
M1 Abrams, nil, 0, 4.,0, 12a,12d, 3h,2f, = Odds of RPG winning, 53%; average tank HP when it wins = 44%

It does seem clear that something needs to be done about rebellions. What solution does everyone prefer and can everyone live with?

You're not being annoying but you raised a concern that I looked into further. I showed my work, but you've been at scenario design as long as anyone so if my work is missing something please fill in the gaps!

No, I haven't done any kind of real analysis. My thoughts are just based on what I've observed in this game. Insurrections have actually had some success in Iran and Africa. (I'm not counting Vietnam, since that's a special case.) But holding ports becomes very difficult because of the strength of our navies, so consolidation of conquests by the Pro-East and Non-Aligned becomes unlikely. That's all.

I think Prof. Garfield mentioned he has a busy week and it's not exactly a small list of changes. More time for plotting!

Sorry for the delay. You will need to run the bat file again after extracting these changes into your folder. I think I've tested everything, but let me know if problems arise.

Press k with a fighter to challenge air superiority in an adjacent square. A Menu will appear, to let you choose the specific square. You will receive a combat report. The defending air unit is chosen by multiplying current fraction of health by the unit defensive rating (taking vet status into consideration), and selecting the one with the highest rating. This is not necessarily the unit most likely to win, but it appears to be how Civ II chooses defenders, so I went with it.

If you play USA, Europe, or USSR, you can now sell weapons to yourself. You'll have to set the sales terms for your tribe, which will always be to offer at cost. (4 per shield, plus 3% of total price) If the cursor is on a square with an eligible city for a sale, that city will be shown first in the list of cities to send the unit to.

Gift transportation costs are now fixed. Round map is taken into account, and cost is 1/2 gold per tile (existing cost was 2 gold east west, 1/2 gold north-south).

Pressing k with a freighter will toggle veteran status. Veterans refuse to submit to inspection while non veterans allow inspection.

Pressing k with a surface ship will give you the chance to inspect foreign ships in adjacent squares, via a menu. The cost is 50 per ship for both sides.

Pressing up at the top of the map will allow a plane with full movement points to cross the pole. This doesn't cost any movement to do, so you can check where you end up and then fly back immediately without problem. If the unit would end up on a square occupied by another tribe, it will instead be moved to an adjacent tile (from which it will still be able to cross the pole again).

I haven't changed the diplomacy to only set war via event, since some diplomacy changes are made without the diplomacy module, so I couldn't just update to the current version of diplomacy.lua and add a couple lines.

Attachments

• The Cold War 1947 Changes.zip
    311.5 KB · Views: 53
And... Because I need four posts in a row. I just thought of a way better idea than my going through thousands of lines of code and adding in stuff. I'd propose a pretty simple solution to all of this that I think will give you a good option @Prof. Garfield without needing to completely change things like letting you reinforce anything and everything but also make you quite dangerous where you should be (the boonies).

Instead of changing the game completely let's just do this (assuming @techumseh and @civ2units agree).

If a Pro-Eastern unit activates on jungle, mountain, hill, or swamp terrain (the boonies), they get an attack bonus. I was thinking something in the order of +5. This would hopefully make it more likely that a concerted Pro-Eastern revolution would be able to take cities but wouldn't completely change everyone's strategy partway through our game. It would make places where the Pro-Eastern guerrillas should be problematic (like jungles of Southeast Asia, South & Central America, and parts of Africa) much more difficult for the west to hold, but at the same time, of course, since there is no defense bonus, if the Western Powers really were having none of it they'd have a chance too.

The only technical issue with +5 attack for units starting on impassible terrain is that it could be used to boost units activated in cities as well. This is a minor point, since a "don't deliberately circumvent events in this specific way" is a reasonable house rule, and an occasional mistake wouldn't be game breaking.

I think a more fundamental issue is that there is no advantage to having guerrillas in the countryside. All it does is give the defender warning to bring in more units. A few units sitting on mountains or jungles isn't really a big deal, since it doesn't really cover up production. If they move to cover easier terrain, then they're probably an easy kill anyway.

I do think something needs to be done about insurrections as they're the core, fundamental "hook" of this scenario. The solution I have above only helps the attacker but not the defender (including the tribe that just attacked). It's "clean" and doesn't involve me going through literally every, single country that I defined in the rebellion mechanism and adding more code to each.

Garfield's right - if he can't reasonably expect to take any land then why not simply invade Europe as early as possible? I'd like to avoid this being another scenario about WW3 and make it a scenario about the conflicts across the globe.

I do like the idea of keeping the international port mechanism because I think it makes things interesting, but you know, if he had an option of, say, investing 6,000 in the interior with the reasonable expectation that they could capture interior cities, and then continue investing in more rebels to swarm towards the coast, I think that would be much more fair, balanced, and interesting than the current mechanism of everything being blunted immediately.

The insurrections are important, and might be a bit difficult to balance. If they're not very strong, then it is hard to use them to take cities, so whoever is behind probably stays behind, since they have less money to fund rebellions, and the rebellions are not easy to make successful. On the other hand, if insurrection is too easy, then stuff everywhere changes hands all the time, or, at the very least, at a moment's notice. You do have to get it right, because otherwise someone will decide that World War III is the only viable path to victory.

The Iran and Iraq war is did work out more or less how we want things to go. Ground troops had to be employed to counter the rebellion, but Europe did decide to employ them. If that didn't happen on the doorstep of the USSR, I'd be fine with losing the war along with the port. My advice, which I'd be willing to implement, is to allow shipment of units to cities that are near the seller's cities. So, air units that could fly from a seller's city to the buyer's city can be bought for free, and ground units could be bought at a cost reflecting the transportation infrastructure between the cities. So, I'd have been able to use the WWII lend lease route to send heavy equipment to the interior cities in Iran, but not to some interior backwater in Africa, which seems much less reasonable.

It's one thing if I can bring forces to bear on an area and decide to contest it and he doesn't make progress because of this. It's quite another if he simply cannot make progress because the units afforded to him are not powerful enough to capture any cities.

Maybe a compromise would to be to only give the attack bonus in jungles and not hills, mountains, and marshes. This would make:

-Southeast Asia
-The Congo
-Central America
-Columbia

The hot areas that would be more susceptible to guerilla attack. Frankly, these were the areas that saw such contention so it's not like it is inaccurate.

The all or nothing nature of rebellions suggests that I wouldn't bother putting resources there anyway. If I can't capture a city, then what's the point of spending any money to fund rebels? If no attacking unit dies, then it was basically free to suppress the rebellion. There has to be some advantage to having rebels in the jungle, even if they can't take cities.

Another area where I wonder about the realism is the ability to capture a port, then purchase large numbers of unit directly there. This may be beyond what you want to do in the middle of a game, but perhaps delivery of military purchases should be limited to home countries, or at start cities.

This could go either way, I guess. If your "sponsor" knows you're trying to capture the port, they might be willing to send you a lot of equipment the moment you have a port to unload it in. We do have
Code:
city.turnsSinceCapture -> integer
if we want to make sure the city has been held for a bit of time before allowing shipments. I don't mind making that kind of change mid game, since we've taken a break to rebalance anyway. I see this as a playtest, where things should be fixed as they are noticed. This also doesn't seem like the kind of rebalance that would throw off a significant strategy.

From a gameplay point of view, delayed access to the international arms market means it takes longer to be able to consolidate a position and prepare for a counterattack.

Interesting. I would definitely bump up the RPGs. How do you feel about giving them the ignore city walls flag? Tackling cities seems to be a weak point for the revolts. Also, can you double or triple up on the revolts in the same turn?

Yes, you can launch multiple revolts at the same time, including in the same area. I've been doing that.

Well, there are a couple of factors that lead to that. One is the super importance of International Ports, the other is the over-rated power of naval bombardment. Of these, the most important is the power of naval bombardment. One simple way to reduce its impact is to reduce the number of attacks that capital ships are allowed to make from 2 to 1. Let's start there. Another way might be allowing the construction of coastal batteries sooner.

For all China's posturing, their beaches are theirs because the United States Navy says they're theirs ;)

2 attacks per turn is plenty limiting already. Each BB is destroyed by about 2 cruise missiles, which multiple late war units can fire.

There are a few issues at play here, and part of the issue is that they stack together. The battleship makes deterring bombardment very expensive, since it can kill the strongest defensive units extremely reliably. The battleship will be veteran, and has a lot of HP, while the defender will have a difficult time gaining veteran status, since there is probably no active ground war. If you're trying to defend with IFVs, the battleship can do 2000 gold of damage per turn, for at least a few turns, the cheapest Russian tank still costs 650, so 1300 gold for two per turn. With the IFVs down, cruisers can take out tanks safely, and other naval units can go down the defensive list. After tanks, the fighters can be targeted from the sea, opening the fleet air arm to attack.

If you're just going for straight cannon fodder, the revolutionaries I guess are 3 for 400 Soviet gold, but you need a lot of them, and your fighters might defend first. The capital ships aren't very vulnerable to the attack aircraft, especially since they can stack, and are veteran, while the attack aircraft aren't. And, if you don't have enough cannon fodder, those expensive aircraft will be destroyed by the destroyers or frigates anyway, which has happened in Pusan and elsewhere.

If your position is that an accurate model of the US Navy's power is that it can win any war near the "coast" (which is a pretty broad definition on this map) with only minimal help from the army, then you'll also need to model the reason why that power isn't used all the time.

There's limitations in Civ2. Korea is going to be quite difficult for you to hold. Southeast Asia, with a few interior bases, is a different story. While you do get event help there, you also have a much better strategic position.

I'm not against the idea of letting the Soviets reinforce the interior without the need for a port but think maybe they ought to have to at least research the cargo plane tech first, or have some sort of other detriment so it's "better" to have the port.

Could a non coastal city be limited in how many units it could buy? Maybe they only get 2 or 3. I'm open to ideas to keep it fun and viable for all.

If Wikipedia is to be believed, the peak strength of the US during the Korean War was over 325,000 men, and the peak South Korean strength was some 600,000 men. It really doesn't seem like the equivalent to those kinds of numbers were employed here, but maybe I just misunderstood what happened on the last turn. (900,000 would be more than necessary to overrun what I had, but the point is that significant ground forces had to be employed in the real Korean War, not just the navy)

It would be feasible to limit the purchases of non-coastal cities, if you like. However, allowing interior purchases doesn't really change the fact that the West can expand its influence all over the world with far less defence cost than the USSR or Non-Aligned.

Not limitations of Civ2 as much as the limitations of the design, which combines two important factors: great emphasis on International Ports and overwhelming shore bombardments for those who have large navies. It's the combination of these two factors that is the destabilizing influence.

Any unit that can only attack twice in a turn only becomes overwhelming if your opponent manages to concentrate them.

Frankly, this is the first MP match. If someone thinks the Soviets are totally outclassed I'm more than happy to play 10 turns of a parallel game to prove they too can steamroll.

I'm fine with swapping roles in a parallel game, but first, please use cheat mode to set up what the pro east "should" have in place after a takeover in order to deter or defeat naval bombardment, and actually play out the combat a couple times.

This is part of the fleet that was amassed to attack Korea. All of this damage was done by the defenders. If this same fleet was brought to this same level of damage attacking a city that had air cover on stand by, I doubt the results would be pretty. Indeed, I only risked it because I used a strat bomber to figure out how many fighters would attack, and guessed that there was limited air cover available. As it stands, most of these are under direct threat on a 1-turn basis from strat bombers flying from Nomohan. All of them would be susceptible to Tu-95 bears. None of these vessels can strike back against those aircraft and require a constant CAP by fighters to protect them from events that might or might not materialize. Frankly, once the Tu-95 and Tu-160 come online, with 25 and 35 MP respectively, there's a great chance that none of these direct attack vessels will be all that useful, because they'd constantly be within range (certainly I wouldn't be able to attack twice - that would be a luxury of attacking places without such air cover).

Having a unit somewhat weakened doesn't cost anything but time, unless there is something ready to counterattack. Regular attack aircraft are vulnerable to shore bombardment (since their range isn't high enough to be stationed far inland), and I think I lost 3 in Pusan a couple turns ago to naval bombardment. In any case, they don't have enough attack power to take out veteran battleships and cruisers. Here, you're suggesting that in order to make progress on the coast, the Pro East needs its own fleet of strategic bombers separate from the Soviets. In this example, a Tu-95 flying from Nomohan wouldn't even be guaranteed to be able to land on that turn (depending on how far away the ship retreated), and would be vulnerable to fighters from Japan or Kadena. Does the Pro West have any kind of comparable expense?

Clearly, the cruisers and destroyers have to be withdrawn at this point. 1-2 of the battleships probably should be, and all of the battleships would need to be after one more encounter with a BMP-1 or tank.

Also of note, it costs 84,600 gold to rush-build a BB of these from scratch. This is 10x the cost of a A-7 Crusader (the American Tier II fighter bomber with a 27-shield row cost). Of note, the Soviet Tier III Su-25 has a 26-shield row cost. Again, a battleship can't be purchased via arms sales or other mechanism like the planes can be.

Not trying to be too pushy over the point, but I again fail to see how "overwhelming shore bombardment" is an issue in this scenario. In our game, it is 1956 and the Battleship is still formidable. In a few more decades, it will be phased out for the less powerful but more survivable AEGIS cruiser.

Damage doesn't cost anything to heal in Civ II, except time. Your battleships can arrive, impose thousands of gold of cost in defeated units, and then disappear over the horizon ready to show up a few turns later.

The fact that Battleships can't be bought isn't all that relevant. What else are your cities going to produce? Buildings cost 2 gold per shield, so you'd rush them and build units more slowly even if the unit can be bought via arms sales. The battleship doesn't have a shelf life. It's not like it disappears after a few turns, so you lose something if there isn't a target immediately available. All it really means is that the defender can't counter you with its own navy. Not that it would matter, since the military port bestows veteran status immediately, while weapon sales units are not veteran.

I have no problem with not being able to dislodge a fleet just offshore. I can change weapon sales so that a fleet can blockade and either raise costs or prevent delivery outright. I also have no problem with that fleet impacting land battles. I do have a problem with the fleet being able to inflict decisive defeats within a couple turns with minimal ground involvement.

The Philippines rebellion was defeated by naval power, though I was just learning at the time and should probably have expected that. Lima was emptied by naval power. The Malaya Rebellion was defeated by naval power, even though Europe didn't want to recapture Taiping (either there is some event associated with it, or the city wasn't worth splitting limited ground forces). Dakar was emptied by naval power, even though by then I had the most powerful defensive unit available, and I was hoping I could eventually mass attack aircraft. In Vietnam, I had enough event driven revolutionaries that I had enough cannon fodder to save my planes from being attacked, and I think that was the case in part because I had so many veterans. In Europe and Turkey, I had to use blocking units and make concessions so that my cities there wouldn't be under constant attack and nuisance "invasions".

For every rebellion I generate, I've been trying to figure out how to deal with the inevitable arrival of a fleet. Thus far, I've sunk one battleship and 2 cruisers. Have a look at the casualty list in the defense minister report. There is a disparity, and I think most of it comes from naval bombardment (including air attacks from carriers).

My suggestion is that whenever a ship defeats a unit through naval bombardment, that unit is re-created at 50% health. Maybe give marines an attack bonus if attacking from the same square as a battleship. This way, naval power can influence adjacent ground combat, but can't just come in and do free damage.

I'm far more concerned with how realistic it is that an insurrection can actually capture cities that are defended by tanks with 8-12 defense and 30 hit points. To me, that is the issue that might need fixing. Hence the proposals to either increase the number of RPGs in a rebellion, give them "ignore city walls," give rebels a boost while on jungle, or some combo of the three.

How about this: if a pro east or pro west unit is fortified within 3 squares of an enemy city (and is not within its own city), it has a (high) chance of generating another unit during the onTurn event. Fortification would mean that the unit has to be 'established' there. This would represent the rebels gaining influence in the countryside because the 'legitimate' government can't crack down on them. Perhaps the chance would depend on the kind of tile. Hiding in the mountains wouldn't represent much influence, but being unable to dislodge rebels from farmland or developing tiles would show the existing government to be weak and not worth supporting.

From a gameplay point of view, delayed access to the international arms market means it takes longer to be able to consolidate a position and prepare for a counterattack.

That's not good when 2 civs start with the capacity to project naval power immediately.

If your position is that an accurate model of the US Navy's power is that it can win any war near the "coast" (which is a pretty broad definition on this map) with only minimal help from the army, then you'll also need to model the reason why that power isn't used all the time.

I think it's accurate to say that the US Navy (or any navy) can deny the effective use of the coast to the enemy if the U.S. Navy wants to hang around, and the enemy doesn't have ships, planes, or missiles to do anything about it. "If we felt like it" we could eradicate Somali piracy instantly, for example. My cheeky comment about China reflects the fact that United States naval air power is actually stronger than most of our "main foes" entire air power. Britain used to practice "gunship diplomacy" and it was very effective.

That power isn't used all the time because there are few foes on earth that are push overs that we can do this to, and sinking a battleship or aircraft carrier would be so expensive to us that it we aren't going to risk it. The other side of course being public opinion wouldn't be fine, at all, with doing this to a place we could. That part isn't modelled, but I think something I was considering for American Nightmare might work. Basically modeling the fact that these democracies can't just do whatever they damn well please, as we've been doing so far. I was thinking of a system where (at least the cities) of certain "countries" (in the actual atlas term - not civ term) can't be attacked without "the Senate" agreeing that it's OK to attack them. It'd work like this:

The game starts off with a series of flags that say "Senate approves intervention in ____" and they are all false. There'd be a key press menu: "Propose an intervention." It would list the different countries of the earth, as defined by cities. You click on one of these menus, it costs a decent amount of money ($3,000 I think would suffice as that basically means "this is what I'm doing for the next turn and a half" - I think that's the right money point where it can be done, but you wouldn't want to overdo it, and if you did, you'd really cost yourself elsewhere). A probability roll then happens, maybe it's 50/50 that it doesn't go your way. If it is "approved" then the flag sets to "true." I'd say the U.S. shouldn't have to do this for cities in the Americas, because of the Monroe Doctrine, which is how we can model that. Maybe Europe doesn't have to flip for certain important colonies. But it's pretty unlikely that the United States Navy is going to show up off the coast of Nigeria without some Senate haggling.

Meanwhile, the same mechanism I use to prevent the U.S. from attacking neutral cities is in place for all these cities until the Senate says I can, and the Senate might not agree. I suppose even polygons and "countryside" could work, but honestly I think restricting to the cities is balancing enough and about as much trouble as I'm willing to put into it.

While I'm going to respectfully disagree with anyone that there's anything "wrong" with a naval power being able to dominate a coastline and win a coastal war against a non-naval power that doesn't have a sufficient air force (or at least, render that coastline/port/etc. useless), I do think you are 100%, completely spot on right that the true issue is "the reason that this force isn't used all the time" isn't modelled very well. Only the threat deterrent is modelled (we can disagree on how well). The political quagmire democracies have isn't, and as a result, I've been taking advantage of that and running completely roughshod.

This is a big thing to implement for a playtest and would delay this a long time so I think maybe for the purposes of this game, while I'm working on it (likely in modular format) maybe I could just flip a coin, you could trust me, and I could deduct 3,000 gold when I flip it? I wouldn't hold @techumseh to this if he's unwilling (and I'm not sure that it's a great model for Europe anyway) but I'll agree to it.

I'd propose that "in our game" there is already U.S. Senate support for Korea, Vietnam, Malaysia but if i want to get involved elsewhere, I need the Senate to approve.

I'm fine with swapping roles in a parallel game, but first, please use cheat mode to set up what the pro east "should" have in place after a takeover in order to deter or defeat naval bombardment, and actually play out the combat a couple times.

I'm working on a project that has some pretty strict deadlines in RL but could get that started soon, sure.

Having a unit somewhat weakened doesn't cost anything but time, unless there is something ready to counterattack. Regular attack aircraft are vulnerable to shore bombardment (since their range isn't high enough to be stationed far inland), and I think I lost 3 in Pusan a couple turns ago to naval bombardment. In any case, they don't have enough attack power to take out veteran battleships and cruisers. Here, you're suggesting that in order to make progress on the coast, the Pro East needs its own fleet of strategic bombers separate from the Soviets. In this example, a Tu-95 flying from Nomohan wouldn't even be guaranteed to be able to land on that turn (depending on how far away the ship retreated), and would be vulnerable to fighters from Japan or Kadena. Does the Pro West have any kind of comparable expense?

Well, my whole premise is that "naval power can do what it wants if the other guy doesn't have an airforce" but your premise likely involves "yes but that air force isn't sitting on the beach ready to be blasted as it is in Civ2, it's much further inland." How about this, if a naval unit "destroys" an air unit, the air unit just moves over a square? That way if you have an air force to use as a deterent, you actually get to use it. That, or maybe a naval unit that bombards a tactical bomber automatically takes significant damage? Right now, bombarding a bomber is a free kill. It shouldn't be - I'd agree with that.

Damage doesn't cost anything to heal in Civ II, except time. Your battleships can arrive, impose thousands of gold of cost in defeated units, and then disappear over the horizon ready to show up a few turns later.

I mean you won in Vietnam because you inflicted enough damage, both on attack and simply defense, to reach a point where we couldn't keep contesting you with our ships. It was expensive, perhaps, but it's possible. And I'm not even remotely certain that we could ever return in this game, even if we tried (assuming you've built it up a bit during the respite).

For every rebellion I generate, I've been trying to figure out how to deal with the inevitable arrival of a fleet. Thus far, I've sunk one battleship and 2 cruisers. Have a look at the casualty list in the defense minister report. There is a disparity, and I think most of it comes from naval bombardment (including air attacks from carriers).

I think it's early in the game for the Soviets to attempt to project power to far reaches of the globe, personally. I think they need to look to regions closer to home, and the fact that they move first (so they can park their ships in certain straits first), and research alignment tech first, allows them to create a virtually unassailable position closer to home. There's also a port closer to home that has a very significant financial boost, and can usually be taken on turn 1.

My advice, which I'd be willing to implement, is to allow shipment of units to cities that are near the seller's cities. So, air units that could fly from a seller's city to the buyer's city can be bought for free, and ground units could be bought at a cost reflecting the transportation infrastructure between the cities. So, I'd have been able to use the WWII lend lease route to send heavy equipment to the interior cities in Iran, but not to some interior backwater in Africa, which seems much less reasonable.

I think this is very sensible and should be done. Right now we are pretending that land trade doesn't exist and everything comes by port which isn't accurate. The current game design basically almost makes you try and project power far and wide when you shouldn't be at first.

How about this: if a pro east or pro west unit is fortified within 3 squares of an enemy city (and is not within its own city), it has a (high) chance of generating another unit during the onTurn event. Fortification would mean that the unit has to be 'established' there. This would represent the rebels gaining influence in the countryside because the 'legitimate' government can't crack down on them. Perhaps the chance would depend on the kind of tile. Hiding in the mountains wouldn't represent much influence, but being unable to dislodge rebels from farmland or developing tiles would show the existing government to be weak and not worth supporting.

I mean that works for me if others agree.

To provide my inexpert view on the issue - that the US and Europeans should enjoy a massive naval superiority over the Soviets and Pro-East, and by implication a temporary advantage in fighting in coastal areas, for the first decade of the game, is absolutely consistent with the historical reality. Real life examples during the time period would include the landings at Inchon, the Anglo-French Operation Musketeer, or the First and Second Taiwan Straits crises, where there was very little those on the receiving end could do to contest the application of overwhelming Western naval power.

This would give the Soviets an incentive to massively build up their own naval forces (as they did again in real life) or to make a beeline for technological solutions that can redress the balance. As John pointed out, eventually land-based air power and Scud missiles should make any traditional shore bombardment a much riskier if not suicidal proposition. This would force the American and European players to rely less on battleships and more on aircraft carriers, as well as to invest in escorts like destroyers, cruisers and frigates.

I would suggest a few other possible solutions to blunt the Western naval advantage:

1. A cheap seaborne equivalent of the RPG which the Soviets can access fairly quickly on the tech tree and supply in large quantities to their clients - this can represent the introduction of fast attack craft armed with the first generation of anti-ship missiles like the Styx/Silkworm from the early 1950s onwards.

2. In similar vein, SSKs should be very lethal to capital ships, which will force the Western players again to invest more in destroyers, frigates and their own submarines to counter the threat. The Soviets again should be able to build SSKs cheaply and supply these to the Pro-East, Non-Aligned and Chinese- this would simulate the mass production and foreign transfers of Romeo- and Foxtrot-class boats in the 1950s-60s.

3. Battleships should not be buildable in the timeframe of the scenario - the last of the postwar battleships finished during this period, Jean Bart, was laid down before the war. They are uniquely powerful units, but must be equally rare and irreplaceble - they should also be clearly be of diminishing value and utility as time goes by vis-a-vis other types of vessel. In the shore bombardment role, naval aviation should clearly overtake them by the mid-game, and eventually late-game developments (e.g. cruise missiles) should make the smaller combatants like cruisers, destroyers and even submarines equally proficient at that task while being more cost-effective.

4. The loss of any capital ship (battleship or aircraft carrier) should be a devastating financial and moral blow to the nation losing it, and since battleships can't be built, one that would be difficult to recover from. Needless to say, the loss of thousands of sailors alone on some proxy or colonial venture would likely prompt some questioning of the conflict back home. Perhaps every time a capital ship is lost, a morale penalty of some sort is imposed- maybe the deletion of a happiness improvement in a random city. This would encourage players to focus more on other naval combatants which do not carry such a penalty, and at the same time make them less willing to put their battleships in a high-risk environment where enemy air power or submarines proliferates. Another way to impose an artificial "shelf-life" is to have battleships carry a gold cost per turn similar to those of bases or excess cities for the US and Soviet players. This would convince the player not to hang on to their battlewagons absolutely longer than they are still militarily useful.

I'm personally more in favour of the first two solutions which provide a counter without penalising or inconveniencing any players more than is necessary, and would possibly be easier to implement without the need for additional LUA coding.

3. Battleships should not be buildable in the timeframe of the scenario - the last of the postwar battleships finished during this period, Jean Bart, was laid down before the war. They are uniquely powerful units, but must be equally rare and irreplaceble - they should also be clearly be of diminishing value and utility as time goes by vis-a-vis other types of vessel. In the shore bombardment role, naval aviation should clearly overtake them by the mid-game, and eventually late-game developments (e.g. cruise missiles) should make the smaller combatants like cruisers, destroyers and even submarines equally proficient at that task while being more cost-effective.

I think this is a very good idea.

I don't know what @techumseh 's plans were with his BB. I'd be willing to make this change going forward if he is. (I'm not going to delete the ones I've already built though as I've sunk resources into that in our playtest game). Also, I think if I go with #3, then #4 takes care of itself.

Jean Bart (and others if there were) could always be added via events, or, perhaps each civ could have one city that builds them, but once you stop building them, you aren't building more. If this city didn't have a maxed out industry, you'd have to balance building the city up against losing the chance to build more battleships.

Well, my whole premise is that "naval power can do what it wants if the other guy doesn't have an airforce" but your premise likely involves "yes but that air force isn't sitting on the beach ready to be blasted as it is in Civ2, it's much further inland." How about this, if a naval unit "destroys" an air unit, the air unit just moves over a square? That way if you have an air force to use as a deterent, you actually get to use it. That, or maybe a naval unit that bombards a tactical bomber automatically takes significant damage? Right now, bombarding a bomber is a free kill. It shouldn't be - I'd agree with that.

My premise is that on a map of this scale, a unit can be stationed on a 'coastal' tile and not be vulnerable to destruction from a ship at sea. That is to say, most ground units aren't sitting on the beach waiting to be blasted any more than air units are. I have no problem with ships guaranteeing that a an invasion can be made (at the moment, there is a bit of an issue where a transport can land some units to attack without the support of any warships), strongly suppressing resistance on the beach, and supporting ground operations near the coast.

If we're moving air units to adjacent squares, they'll have to be made NONE units, otherwise capturing the city will destroy them anyway. Or, you need to rehome units supported by a city when that city is captured. I have a function in the general library for this already. Maybe what makes sense is to move air and ground units (with some damage to ground units) to an adjacent square when 'defeated'. This would give tactical options to the side with sea power, but still require ground units to go in for the kill. However, I would consider other options first.

I mean you won in Vietnam because you inflicted enough damage, both on attack and simply defense, to reach a point where we couldn't keep contesting you with our ships. It was expensive, perhaps, but it's possible. And I'm not even remotely certain that we could ever return in this game, even if we tried (assuming you've built it up a bit during the respite).

I had a massive amount of event generated cannon fodder there (not to mention actual cannons), and a lot of it was veteran to start. I only needed to supply the air force. If all revolutions are 'supposed' to have that many revolutionaries, then it may make sense to increase the price of revolutions and the quantity of troops they provide.

I think it's early in the game for the Soviets to attempt to project power to far reaches of the globe, personally. I think they need to look to regions closer to home, and the fact that they move first (so they can park their ships in certain straits first), and research alignment tech first, allows them to create a virtually unassailable position closer to home. There's also a port closer to home that has a very significant financial boost, and can usually be taken on turn 1.

I would have assumed that blockading straits would be a sort of escalation tactic, not a standard first turn move. Thus far, the trouble with projecting power close to home was that it was also close to European or American naval assets. Part of the problem is that the constant war status for the pro east and pro west makes it so that the major powers can cause a bit of trouble whenever they feel like it, which favours Europe and USA, since they have the naval assets to do it. If Europe has a couple cruisers not doing much at the moment, why not just kill a couple Turkish units and go back to port?

I think it's accurate to say that the US Navy (or any navy) can deny the effective use of the coast to the enemy if the U.S. Navy wants to hang around, and the enemy doesn't have ships, planes, or missiles to do anything about it. "If we felt like it" we could eradicate Somali piracy instantly, for example. My cheeky comment about China reflects the fact that United States naval air power is actually stronger than most of our "main foes" entire air power. Britain used to practice "gunship diplomacy" and it was very effective.

That power isn't used all the time because there are few foes on earth that are push overs that we can do this to, and sinking a battleship or aircraft carrier would be so expensive to us that it we aren't going to risk it. The other side of course being public opinion wouldn't be fine, at all, with doing this to a place we could. That part isn't modelled, but I think something I was considering for American Nightmare might work. Basically modeling the fact that these democracies can't just do whatever they damn well please, as we've been doing so far. I was thinking of a system where (at least the cities) of certain "countries" (in the actual atlas term - not civ term) can't be attacked without "the Senate" agreeing that it's OK to attack them. It'd work like this:

The game starts off with a series of flags that say "Senate approves intervention in ____" and they are all false. There'd be a key press menu: "Propose an intervention." It would list the different countries of the earth, as defined by cities. You click on one of these menus, it costs a decent amount of money ($3,000 I think would suffice as that basically means "this is what I'm doing for the next turn and a half" - I think that's the right money point where it can be done, but you wouldn't want to overdo it, and if you did, you'd really cost yourself elsewhere). A probability roll then happens, maybe it's 50/50 that it doesn't go your way. If it is "approved" then the flag sets to "true." I'd say the U.S. shouldn't have to do this for cities in the Americas, because of the Monroe Doctrine, which is how we can model that. Maybe Europe doesn't have to flip for certain important colonies. But it's pretty unlikely that the United States Navy is going to show up off the coast of Nigeria without some Senate haggling.

Meanwhile, the same mechanism I use to prevent the U.S. from attacking neutral cities is in place for all these cities until the Senate says I can, and the Senate might not agree. I suppose even polygons and "countryside" could work, but honestly I think restricting to the cities is balancing enough and about as much trouble as I'm willing to put into it.

While I'm going to respectfully disagree with anyone that there's anything "wrong" with a naval power being able to dominate a coastline and win a coastal war against a non-naval power that doesn't have a sufficient air force (or at least, render that coastline/port/etc. useless), I do think you are 100%, completely spot on right that the true issue is "the reason that this force isn't used all the time" isn't modelled very well. Only the threat deterrent is modelled (we can disagree on how well). The political quagmire democracies have isn't, and as a result, I've been taking advantage of that and running completely roughshod.

This is a big thing to implement for a playtest and would delay this a long time so I think maybe for the purposes of this game, while I'm working on it (likely in modular format) maybe I could just flip a coin, you could trust me, and I could deduct 3,000 gold when I flip it? I wouldn't hold @techumseh to this if he's unwilling (and I'm not sure that it's a great model for Europe anyway) but I'll agree to it.

I'd propose that "in our game" there is already U.S. Senate support for Korea, Vietnam, Malaysia but if i want to get involved elsewhere, I need the Senate to approve.

I'm not opposed to that kind of overhaul of the game, but it does seem like a bit of a big project, especially given the coordination between 2 event files. We might consider a simpler solution. Consider money to mostly be the money that each country can politically devote to the Cold War (so USSR is poorer, but can devote a larger portion of its production to foreign policy). In this case, USA, EUROPE, and USSR pay money for having their units participate in combat (or, maybe, only attacking). This would encourage the use of proxies to do the fighting, and might force Europe to grant independence to colonies so they don't have to pay the political costs of fighting guerrillas. Not sure how to deal with China and India here. You might also want to revisit the stock market crash event, so that major powers can save up some political will for a direct intervention. In the event of World War III, the cost of fighting is eliminated. Perhaps, the player who makes the first strike must still pay during that turn, so there is a bit of an incentive to keep the peace.

I would suggest a few other possible solutions to blunt the Western naval advantage:

1. A cheap seaborne equivalent of the RPG which the Soviets can access fairly quickly on the tech tree and supply in large quantities to their clients - this can represent the introduction of fast attack craft armed with the first generation of anti-ship missiles like the Styx/Silkworm from the early 1950s onwards.

2. In similar vein, SSKs should be very lethal to capital ships, which will force the Western players again to invest more in destroyers, frigates and their own submarines to counter the threat. The Soviets again should be able to build SSKs cheaply and supply these to the Pro-East, Non-Aligned and Chinese- this would simulate the mass production and foreign transfers of Romeo- and Foxtrot-class boats in the 1950s-60s.

4. The loss of any capital ship (battleship or aircraft carrier) should be a devastating financial and moral blow to the nation losing it, and since battleships can't be built, one that would be difficult to recover from. Needless to say, the loss of thousands of sailors alone on some proxy or colonial venture would likely prompt some questioning of the conflict back home. Perhaps every time a capital ship is lost, a morale penalty of some sort is imposed- maybe the deletion of a happiness improvement in a random city. This would encourage players to focus more on other naval combatants which do not carry such a penalty, and at the same time make them less willing to put their battleships in a high-risk environment where enemy air power or submarines proliferates. Another way to impose an artificial "shelf-life" is to have battleships carry a gold cost per turn similar to those of bases or excess cities for the US and Soviet players. This would convince the player not to hang on to their battlewagons absolutely longer than they are still militarily useful.

I'm personally more in favour of the first two solutions which provide a counter without penalising or inconveniencing any players more than is necessary, and would possibly be easier to implement without the need for additional LUA coding.

These seem like good ideas to me. I was mostly thinking along the lines of 1 and 4. For a unit, I was thinking either mines or torpedo boats (though I suppose that is more pre-war and interwar period).

Losing a 900 shield unit is not inconsequential, but is also not a spectacular blow. If there were some larger penalty to losing a capital ship, then the appearance of one would seem more like an opportunity to score a big win rather than something to simply be suffered.

I am prepared to go along with whatever you guys decide re: changes to rules and events. However I feel compelled to respond to what I consider misinterpretations of the post-war history of naval power.

There's no doubt that Western naval power was a significant factor in the post-war balance of power. But the characterization of it being based on battleships is just plain wrong. Naval bombardment was usually limited to support of landings such as Inchon. No battleships were in the bombardment force at Inchon, just cruisers and destroyers. In 1956 at Suez, the WW2 battleship Jean Bart fired exactly 4 shots before the planned landing at Port Said was called off. Battleships were already obsolete by the end of WW2, and all powers soon scrapped their remaining battleships, with the exception of several of the US Navy (which I'll address a bit later).

Why? Because they were very expensive and extremely vulnerable to aircraft, and later to submarines. The British kept the Vanguard, completed after the war's end, for a few years, mostly for prestige reasons. The US kept several Missouri class battleships, using them for shore bombardment in Korea and Vietnam. If you look at the list of targets, it includes ammo dumps, bridges, coastal batteries, radar sites, etc. All important tactical targets, but not exactly strategic war winning stuff. They certainly didn't wipe out entire regiments or divisions. Their actual contribution to both these conflicts was a fraction of air power's. Their main limitation, other than risk to a very expensive and vulnerable asset, was the very short range of their fire, about 25 miles, compared to 50-100 times that for some aircraft.

Western naval power was effective in the limited number of times it was actually employed due to a combination of naval air power and amphibious ground forces. Naval artillery was secondary, and never decisive. Don't get me wrong, I love my battleships and have used them to good effect. As I said, I'll happily play on with whatever you decide. It just seems that we are twisting ourselves in knots to avoid dealing with the real issue.

We're going to go forward with changing battleships to "no,no" units. I'd ask everyone who is building one to pick one city that can build them and stop building it in others. This will turn the battleship into a "special unit" which will solve the problem. I think the US only starts with 4 or 6?

I'd ask @Prof. Garfield to add in a simple gold deduction of 15 for each unit the USA kills, 10 for the Europeans, 5 for the Soviets. This will make civs think about engaging in direct wars. We can adjust later if necessary.

I think these two changes are simple and should allow the game to move forward?

Top Bottom