The complaints of inflation are insane.

like isn't that thing years old ? They can not possibly have re-written that article ?

failed to find the picture collage from tumblr but here is how the Japanese elderly use tech to work past retirement .

Not exactly the top option, tbh.

Food prices are high. Beef herds in the crapper, pork soon to follow, grains at 1970s prices. Wonder where it's all going?
Private equity firms. I believe. I’ve been reading some folks say the middle between the farms and the groceries has been bought up in the past 10 years with the advent of the private equity firm takeover. That the stores aren’t the ones trying to raise the prices.

Also that almost-merger is why I lost my first tech job.

I recently found a box of organic pasta, 1600 calories, for $2.50 which isn’t stupid cheap but even still blew me away like, it’s still possible to eat reasonably. A 1200 calorie taqueria burrito out here is $13 but the same in microwave burritos isn’t really cheaper. And sometimes worse. Prepackaged anything is an arm and a leg. Milk is still good but no longer a deal… But that I can get a meal out of pasta for a buck or two gives me hope.

I'm really tired of noodles, lol.

Oh well. I suppose that's partially my fault for hating cooking, but anything good takes forever.

Oh well. I suppose that's partially my fault for hating cooking, but anything good takes forever.

Takes forever and then requires you to spend twice as much time cleaning afterward.

This is one of those efficiencies thing. Dinner prep/eat/clean used to be a handoff with homework getting done and podcasts. I'd clean. Now it sits in the sink until I can't stand the smell. Which will be soon, it's getting warmer so the north-wall refrigerator effect is going to wear off.

We've finally progressed on the homework thing to the point where they're allowed to use a calculator. For 5 years we've been slamming our heads into "you just need to practice to memorize the times tables." Every year a new teacher that knows better than you.

Switch to rice. Get a cooker and make big batches so you will have lots of leftovers.

I am sensory-weird enough that different pasta shapes allow me to experience variety

That is what I switch to from noodles. I put various hot sauces on it, but I usually don't salt it. If the pan is clean, I may put an egg over easy on top!

I've had noodles going on 4 days in a row. I've switched to rice noodles because we just discovered a family member has gluten-related digestion difficulty.
I recently found a box of organic pasta, 1600 calories, for $2.50 which isn’t stupid cheap but even still blew me away like, it’s still possible to eat reasonably. A 1200 calorie taqueria burrito out here is $13 but the same in microwave burritos isn’t really cheaper. And sometimes worse. Prepackaged anything is an arm and a leg. Milk is still good but no longer a deal… But that I can get a meal out of pasta for a buck or two gives me hope.
I got a cart full of groceries yesterday, roughly a week, maybe a little less, of food for my family of 5, yesterday. I almost fainted when I saw how cheap it was... under $300 (about $280 IIRC). That much food usually costs me between $500-$700. The difference? I shopped at a Stop-and-Shop in the next town over instead of the Big Y in my town and I paid really close attention to prices/deals/discounts, instead of just trying to rush and get the shopping done as quickly as possible. I spent at least triple the time I usually spend in the grocery store, but in retrospect, I'd say it was worth it. I think I will start doing that from now on.
Takes forever and then requires you to spend twice as much time cleaning afterward.
Have you heard about this great invention called having children? There's nothing to it really... it was my pleasure as a matter of fact ;). Then you just need to put in a mere decade investment of endless time and money raising them and voila! Free labor for washing dishes, sweeping, mopping, laundry, etc... followed by at least another 8-20 years supporting them... its a really good deal. :yup:
Switch to rice. Get a cooker and make big batches so you will have lots of leftovers.
Gotta use the big freezer for big batches, otherwise you end up wasting half the damn food when it goes bad.:cry:

I am sensory-weird enough that different pasta shapes allow me to experience variety
I think that's normal and why they invented different types of pasta a long time ago.

Top Bottom