The Contrast Photojournals I: Austria

Do you mean the AI builds it two turns before you, or you are two turns short of reaching what I did? I do usually purchase a worker, IMO they're one of the best early purchases, but I don't think I did this game because I was quite gold conscious. Looking at my pictures, I probably did not, or my gold would be a lot more different between turn 40 and 54 than it was - they're not cheap.

I don't rightly recall at the moment. I think it was on track for your write up. First time I know I was off because even tho I got Stonehenge I didn't have the same tiles worked and that put me behind by 1 or 2 turns which caused a snowball effect through the rest. Reread the write up, tried again and got that on track. But Artemis was 2 out when AI built it. Tried again and the same thing. Each time the CS have different quests (or same quests but from different CS). Surprisingly, how the pathfinder discovers tiles has a big effect on everything else.

@tu_79
Are you referring to the event log icon up in the row with the corporations, diplomacy and other things? If so, I could take a look at the turn 89 one and see if it says anything.

Not sure, honestly. I'd be surprised if the AI was hitting it before turn 54 - for Immortal, that's really fast. When you play a particular difficulty level enough, you learn just from memory roughly when the key wonders go, particularly for the early game ones where there is less divergence. ToA goes turn 56-58 most games. If you can get to 54-55, you're normally okay. I'm not sure what the Deity timings are, but some of the other people here might know.

Your AI might have decided to play differently. What turn is it being built for you?

Again. Why don't you compare logs, to see when you produced workers?

Maybe you built a mine or a pasture that gave enough hammers to make a difference. Maybe your worker placement had something to do with it. I noticed that you did not explore too much. Normally this means missing goody huts, but they are disabled in this map.

I don't rightly recall at the moment. I think it was on track for your write up. First time I know I was off because even tho I got Stonehenge I didn't have the same tiles worked and that put me behind by 1 or 2 turns which caused a snowball effect through the rest. Reread the write up, tried again and got that on track. But Artemis was 2 out when AI built it. Tried again and the same thing. Each time the CS have different quests (or same quests but from different CS). Surprisingly, how the pathfinder discovers tiles has a big effect on everything else.

@tu_79
Are you referring to the event log icon up in the row with the corporations, diplomacy and other things? If so, I could take a look at the turn 89 one and see if it says anything.
I meant the journal, where your notifications are stored, but if you have logs enabled, there should be a file describing what every player produced every turn.

Again. Why don't you compare logs, to see when you produced workers?

Maybe you built a mine or a pasture that gave enough hammers to make a difference. Maybe your worker placement had something to do with it. I noticed that you did not explore too much. Normally this means missing goody huts, but they are disabled in this map.

On checking, I produced my first worker immediately after finishing the ToA, so that wasn't it.

You're right I didn't explore much. I built so few Warriors I desperately needed my Pathfinder to not get raided all the time. I don't normally play like that, but Austria is so stretched for resources early on I felt like it was the better choice.

Well, finally got ToA but it was one turn later somehow. Never got quests to find any civ. I doubt it is possible to fully replicate the game. I did manage to get Stonehenge, ToA and Roman Forum, but having to fully research those techs meant that I built too much stuff when getting Terracotta Army that my gold went negative and couldn't bring it back up. Mongolia had captured Antananarivo and went to war with Belgrade. I gifted excess low promoted units to Belgrade and they started to capture Antananarivo. I want to "help" and do the actual capture, but I declared too early. Belgrade requested I liberated Antananarivo then made peace. Mongolia swarmed up and I didn't have a chance. Oh well.

Lesson learned, you cannot replicate anyone's game beyond a few turns from a specific save. Maybe if each unit movement were detailed, the AI might possibly do the same thing. Even then, that isn't a guarantee.

I do usually purchase a worker, IMO they're one of the best early purchases
It is better to invest into buildings (like Shrine and Monument) and build Worker naturally. Yopu get more hammers for the same amount of gold, so overall you can save couple of turns

It is better to invest into buildings (like Shrine and Monument) and build Worker naturally. Yopu get more hammers for the same amount of gold, so overall you can save couple of turns

I disagree. It varies from game to game, depending my gold income and the tiles available for improvement. If my Pathfinder gets trapped somewhere, I often try to get to 100 Gold without spending any, so that in an emergency situation, I can purchase a Warrior - Barbarians can start raiding from turn 11 on Immortal and Deity. By the time I have 100 Gold, the second of my Shrine/Monument is often too far built for an investment. That leaves Worker the next natural path. Additionally, if an improvement is particularly good (thinking Luxury improvements which give Culture or Faith here), I'd rather outright buy the Worker (Worker 10 turns quicker) than I would buy down a Monument then build a Worker (Worker 5 turns quicker).

There are times where buying the worker will give you all of monument, shrine and worker faster than investing will. You avoid having gold just sitting around. You also get investment blocked sometimes (gold ruins especially).

Top Bottom