The Crater Kingdoms

Mastreditr111

Prince
In 2020, the world suffered an environmental disaster of immense proportions. It began when a large near-Earth asteroid was seen around the moon. It was far too late to stop its impending impact, and when it shattered on atmospheric entry, the population of North America was doomed. The survivors, suffering because of America’s world opinion, were not assisted in any way, and many stayed around the craters in relatively intact areas.
Unfortunately for the rest of the world, the impacts had released a massive deposit of methane gas from under America, and as the dust from the impacts settled, that gas began to take its toll on Earth’s environment. The ensuing temperature increases outpaced anything the world had ever known, and the entirety of the polar ice caps were melted in a matter of a few months. The nations of the world were inundated, with flooding reaching far higher levels than the worst projections. The only dry areas were, ironically, behind the huge mountains thrown up by the crater impacts in North America, and in the two mountain ranges (Rockies and Appalachians) that had been enlarged in the earthquakes that followed. The five craters now held the only remnants of humanity, the people who had fled behind the crater walls when the flooding destroyed their homes.
After a short period of total chaos, civilization began to reform at the Classical level. The people of each crater founded trading partnerships resembling the Hanseatic League, then unified nations. In time the survivors in the Appalachians formed a society based on piracy, much like the Sicily of Caesar’s time. Now, you can lead one of these new empires, dubbed the Crater Kingdoms. Though the survivors don’t know where any other craters are, they do know that there are five other groups of survivors, some of whom have retained the democratic traditions of the United States, while others have not. Discover the other kingdoms, then trade, or conquer. Colonize the barbarian-dominated Rocky Mountains, or subdue the pirates in the Appalachians. Your choice.

Start Date: 2050
Time Unit: years
Limit: 1000 turns
Victory Conditions- Space Race and Conquest (feel free to customize, these are randomly chosen)
Civilizations: all begin in late Ancient Epoch
Montana- based on Rome: Republic, Industrious and Expansionist
Kingdom of the Appalachians- based on Carthage: Feudalism, Militaristic and Seafaring
Cuba: based on Egypt: Communism, Militaristic and Agricultural
California: based on Japan- Fascism, Expansionist and Commercial
Quebec- based on France- Monarchy, Religious and Agricultural
Arizona- based on Aztecs- Despotism, Militaristic and Agricultural
Inuit Union- based on Iroquois- initially Anarchy, favor democracy to reflect tribal traditions, Industrious and Commercial
Notes:
1. Each crater has a somewhat individual climate; while each is nominally affected by altitude, they are mostly self-contained because of the massive mountains ringing them, allowing incredible variety in climate throughout.
2. Uranium and gold are by far the most abundant resources in the scenario, due to the presence of huge amounts of heavy metals in the asteroids. While I didn’t want to modify the tech tree or resource requirements to avoid confusion or complicated downloads, I would suggest that players change the required resources for modern-era units to reflect an increased dependence on nuclear power rather than fossil fuels, then remove the oil deposits, because there would not be new oil deposits in the craters after only 50 years. (ex: Modern Armor uses uranium instead of oil)
- Gold’s value has been decreased slightly due to relative abundance (now produces 3 commerce instead of 4)
- Uranium’s usefulness has increased with more innovation involving it (now produces 3 shields instead of 2)
3. City names reflect retained culture from pre-collapse society, so are mostly drawn from an atlas with maps of the areas surrounding the craters.
4. As already mentioned, the craters are mostly self-contained environments, so only the mountain ranges reflect the climactic changes that resulted from the impacts.
5. NONE of the governments and/or traits I have chosen for the craters reflect any sort of opinion about the people living where they are. I have chosen them mostly randomly, but with some thoughts on the local culture I have assigned them or that of the race they were based upon. (Ex: Quebec- French-based culture, and generally very religious after the Fall, thus would be swayed by divine-right arguments for monarchy)
6. On a related note, there are ONLY TWO hidden tidbits related to my views on politics in this entire scenario. Good luck finding them. (There are many things hinting at various works of literature, however.)

Attachments

• The Crater Kingdoms.zip
    92.3 KB · Views: 358
Nice Scenario! Although I would suggest making the game start in either the indutrial ages of the modern ages.

BTW, I am deeply offended that you left out Kansas! :D

Mastreditr111 said:
nah sorry not yet. i actually havent gotten to play it yet myself, just finished it when i posted
You should test it before you post it.

LM: laugh... out... loud... :rolleyes:

yea i kno, but it took me too long to do it already and ive promised that i would get to work on a new version for my "Brave New World" scn. So i just tried to balance it on the basis of unit and city numbers and population.

Alright then I'll check it out and I might post screenies if I find time to play.

I just d/l it and will give it a try.

Thanks.

Top Bottom