• Fiat

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • Go away, I deal in coke and gold bars

Votes: 14 45.2%
  • Privacy coins

Votes: 1 3.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
But what about the concern that this will impede mining?

Well, I am not concerned, I think crypto space is moving in the "pure pyramid" direction anyway. Ethereum, Cardano, Solana - these are just a few top crypto names, which moved, or in the process of moving, away from POW (mining) towards POS (staking). If you look at 20 biggest cryptos in the world, you'll find 3-4 that are mining, the rest are not mining anymore, or never did. Bitcoiners are still mining. However, when time definitively demonstrates that one can do safe cryptography without the need to burn terawatts of electricity, then there won't be many arguments left in favour of continuing the energy-intensive process of mining. I'd say market competition will impede mining in that way. Whichever way is cheaper - wins.

The architects behind current ETF approval situation (BlackRock et al) aim to boost liquidity, and with it, price. I doubt they think much further than that.

Last edited:
However, when time definitively demonstrates that one can do safe cryptography without the need to burn terawatts of electricity
Did they pretty much prove you could not when 50% of the Etherium stakers stopped handing tornadoCash output?

Yeah, that's a blunder: don't build your Anarchy 2042 chain on top of Ethereum infrastructure.

Had they gone the way of Zcash and built proprietary blockchain, things could play out differently.

Infrastructural considerations go beyond cryptography. Then there is a question of using public information highways. Unless you own a satellite network, you aren't completely safe from interferences. Let's say you do own a satellite network. No problem, a dozen masked men descend on ropes and abduct programmer with laptop in charge of a satellite network. Satellite network down. No more FunCash. Then the question of points of contact with "classical economy" - banks, brokerages, side chains. These links can be severed, as you've pointed out. In the end, to not have their coin relegated to oblivion, one has to play by the rules of the surrounding economy. Well, maybe not all rules, but the most essential ones need to be upheld.

Cryptos are resilient up to a point. Even proof of work ones.

Colorado pastor accused of multimillion dollar crypto scheme​

A Colorado pastor and his wife have been charged with duping hundreds of local Christians in a multimillion dollar a cryptocurrency scheme.

Prosecutors accuse pastor Eli Regalado and his wife, Kaitlyn, of fraudulently raising over $3m (£2.4m) by selling "practically worthless" crypto.

The Regalados pocketed at least $1.3m in the alleged scheme between June 2022 and April 2023, prosecutors say.

Mr Regalado said his plan was inspired by God, according to court filings.

The pastor said that "God told him directly that investors would become wealthy" by investing into INDXcoin, a cryptocurrency created, marketed, and sold by the Regalados, according to the complaint.

INDXcoin was offered to Denver-area Christians through the Kingdom Wealth Exchange, an online cryptocurrency exchange owned and operated by the Regalados.

The couple "had no experience in cryptocurrency", the complaint said, and a third-party auditor found INDXcoin to be "unsafe, unsecure and riddled with technical problems".

"Despite that report, the Regalados allegedly continued to promote the INDXcoin as a low-risk, high-profit investment," it said.

"In reality, the INDXcoin was illiquid and practically worthless" and the couple used the funds for "their lavish lifestyle".

This included a Range Rover, luxury handbags, jewellery, boat rentals and snowmobile adventures, according to officials.

Colorado Securities Commissioner Tung Chan has filed civil fraud charges for violations of anti-fraud protections under the Colorado Securities Act.

She said her department was tipped off after multiple complaints by people who had invested in INDXcoin and had lost money.

Mr Relagado addressed the allegations in a video statement released on Friday.

"The reason that [Colorado] is saying that it's worthless is because there is no exit for people who have bought," he said, acknowledging that the cryptocurrency investors who have tried to withdraw funds have been unable to.

"We launched an exchange. The exchange technology failed. Things went down hill, and from that point forward, we've just been waiting on the Lord literally for a miracle."

On the allegation that Mr Relagado and his wife received $1.3m, the pastor said that was true.

"But out of that $1.3m, half of it went to the IRS and $200,000 went to a home remodel that the Lord told us to do," he said.

Many viewers left words of encouragement in the comments on the video, including "prayers going up" and "hang in there, stay strong".

The BBC has reached out to the Regalados for comment.

In the criminal complaint, Colorado prosecutors have asked for preliminary and injunctive relief, damages for investors and for a constructive trust to be placed on the Relagados' property.

They are scheduled to appear in Denver District Court next week.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-68072665

Effect of ETFs on Bitcoin price

A bunch of people are suing "Satoshi Nakamoto", though it really sounds like it is not him.

Case backed by Jack Dorsey seeks court ruling on bitcoin founder’s identity

An Australian computer scientist’s claim to be the mythical figure behind bitcoin will be challenged in the UK on Monday, in a high court case backed by the Twitter co-founder Jack Dorsey.

Craig Wright has asserted for years that he is the real Satoshi Nakamoto, the pseudonymous author of the 2008 white paper behind the world’s cornerstone cryptocurrency, but has failed to prove it.

You only get one side of the argument from the court filing, but it sounds pretty clear to me. This is assuming you cannot compile the LaTeX files to OpenOffice and then save to pdf from there, but they have probably thought of that and I do not know what pandoc could do in 2009.

Dr Wright’s main LaTeX file “main.tex”, “Candidate L”

This file is a LaTeX source file, taken from a folder on Dr Wright’s Overleaf account. Dr Wright has stated that, as Satoshi Nakamoto, he wrote the Bitcoin White Paper using LaTeX. He has also stated that this document “uniquely codes for the Bitcoin White Paper”, and that when compiled in Overleaf, produce a copy of the Bitcoin White Paper “in the same form as” and “materially identical to” that published by Satoshi Nakamoto.

Reasons for Allegation of Forgery

The Bitcoin White Paper was not written in LaTeX. It was written and produced in OpenOffice 2.4.

The encoding and embedding of fonts within the original Bitcoin White Paper, and their kerning, is fundamentally incompatible with LaTeX, especially LaTeX in 2009.

Dr Wright’s selected LaTeX file does not, when compiled, produce the Bitcoin White Paper (and neither does any other file in the TC folder).

Dr Wright’s LaTeX files from the TC folder are not original to 2008 or 2009. Using LaTeX software that is up to date for 2009, none of them compiles properly, instead producing errors and warnings.

The images that result from compiling Dr Wright’s identified file are different from the images in the original Bitcoin White Paper

From 12/5/23:
I've been updating prices every 3 (or 6 last post) months, but something weird is going on. That /\ post was 11/17. As of today, 12/5: Bitcoin: $43,773.62; Etherium: $2,281.48.

Anyone got any explanations? As in, 'this is dumb, ignore it (most likely)'; or, 'this [poop] is randomly skyrocketing again, so get in for no good reason'? Or better yet [some logical explanation].

Everything is going up, even SHIBA (my "screw you guys I'm going home" plan if it ever really takes off :) ).
Just popping in to update prices. I still have *no* idea what's going on, although I'm (financially) enjoying it. Always looking for insight on this this if anyone understands this chaos, but it still seems like "just... I dunno... go with it"?

Bitcoin: $72,204.77
Etherium: $4,052.83
Doge: $0.18
Shiba: $0.00034

Doge is making a bit of a rebound after "making random people tons of $$$" then tanking. Shiba is slower, but similar. *But*... Bitcoin & Etherium are back to "if you went all in & kept it, you are now rich!" levels. I'm not one of those, just pointing it out.

If you bought Bitcoin 1 year ago when it was $25,117, or even as of my quoted December post when it was $43,774, you'd be doing quite well (you can buy fractions of a "coin"; don't need to buy a "whole coin" if you're wondering). As always, I have no idea what any of this means, or why it's happening. I just like to watch my Beanie Babies (Etherium & Shiba in this case) & occasionally post updates about them, in hopes that someone will explain what's happening.

From 12/5/23:

Just popping in to update prices. I still have *no* idea what's going on, although I'm (financially) enjoying it. Always looking for insight on this this if anyone understands this chaos, but it still seems like "just... I dunno... go with it"?

Bitcoin: $72,204.77
Etherium: $4,052.83
Doge: $0.18
Shiba: $0.00034

Doge is making a bit of a rebound after "making random people tons of $$$" then tanking. Shiba is slower, but similar. *But*... Bitcoin & Etherium are back to "if you went all in & kept it, you are now rich!" levels. I'm not one of those, just pointing it out.

If you bought Bitcoin 1 year ago when it was $25,117, or even as of my quoted December post when it was $43,774, you'd be doing quite well (you can buy fractions of a "coin"; don't need to buy a "whole coin" if you're wondering). As always, I have no idea what any of this means, or why it's happening. I just like to watch my Beanie Babies (Etherium & Shiba in this case) & occasionally post updates about them, in hopes that someone will explain what's happening.

Financial speculation is not rational. Do not lose your time trying to undestand it. Its a game of people manipulating, and trying to anticipate the manipulatios of, other people. A huge waste of human energy in a useles activity for humanity.

Top Bottom