The end of LucasArts

The game remembered for its classic adventure games is gone... I remember Day of the Tentacles: the reason why my father got a PC. With their ending of doing adventure games in the early 2000s it was fortune that Telltale Games came about to resurect the genre.

KotOR wasn't made by LucasArts.

This doesn't make their old games chances of getting onto GoG.com look any better now, although it sounds like they are shutting it down because it hasn't exactly been making amazing games recently. Hopefully this means we will see more Star Wars games and better ones with more external licensing.

I agree, all their recent games suck. Only the oldies are any good.

A mercy killing for gamers. Hope this means Ron Gilbert has a shot at the Monkey Island license.

Ya I heard 150 people got canned. Hopefully they find jobs quickly.

Lucas games was a sinking ship but damn Disney killed it quick.

Star Wars:1313 looked interesting though, hopefully they find a developer to either continue with it, or start it from scratch again.

I think this video is about as appropriate for this news as I can think of;

Link to video.

Oh man Afterlife! That brings back memories...
Great concept, the "buildings" (rewards/punishments) were incredible, the theme and everything was really well done, the whole "make everything efficient in heaven, everything inefficient in hell" was cool, it's a pity it got bogged down in the execution and turned into micromanagement hell (pun only partly intended). Still worth having a look at for the cool buildings alone though.

It would definitely be well-suited to a remake!
Maybe they could have heaven use the SimCity 4 engine and hell use the SimCity 5 engine...(I kid!)

Anyway, RIP Lucasarts...Monkey Island 1/2/3, Day of the Tentacle, Fate of Atlantis, Sam and Max, Full Throttle, and Grim Fandango were some of my very favourite games back in the day

For nostalgia's sake, sorry to see them go. Can't say they've produced anything in this millenium about which I was especially enthused, but they sure did make some great games back in the 20th.

Day of the Tentacle is one of the best games ever made IMHO. Its also a game that wont really ever age. Its still highly playable now. Grim fandango, Monkey Island, X-Wing, Dark forces. Lucas Arts was one of the best developers around in the 90s. Agree though they have gone downhill since as many of their lead designers have gone on to bigger and better things. They will be missed. But watch out for disney. I bet they license the majority of their games through EA, which means you will get a load of crap for the COD generation.

Let us hope Telltale somehow gets the rest of LucasArt's rights on Monkey Island and perhapes the rights on the other adventure genre games...

List of lucasarts games on wikipedia lists the old republic and even angry birds star wars version. I'm guessin lucasarts didn't do any development on those games but had to license the star wars franchise to them? Knights of the old republic is listed as their game too even though I thought bioware developed it.

Top Bottom