The English Football Thread No. 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've decided to set up a social group to see if we can get anyone interested in a group game of Football Manager 2010.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/group.php?groupid=243

I have no idea how to organise it, maybe pass saves around or set up some IM chat so players can tell me what needs doing in their turn.

I used to play an online game of FM where we arranged to be online on a monday afternoon and everyone would connect to whoever was hosting the game. Its possible to set the game to auto continue ever minute and you can force the game to not move matches for TV so a season would go reasonably quickly. You would want every team in the same league though as its dull waiting for people to finish their matches if you are not playing. Also there was an agreement that the match speed had to be set to fast.

Well since the season is over there's not much to chat about apart from the Euro finals and the upcoming World Cup.

I've decided to set up a social group to see if we can get anyone interested in a group game of Football Manager 2010.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/group.php?groupid=243

I have no idea how to organise it, maybe pass saves around or set up some IM chat so players can tell me what needs doing in their turn.

I don't have the time for at least the next month but after that maybe! You should get involved in hattrick. I play and I think dell does/he used to, there used to be many cfc'ers that played, now it's predominantly CDZ'ers!

Slow learner, aren't you....;)

:D

At least i got there! Look at fernando torres, he hasn't worked that out- possibly because puberty hasn't happened for the poor fella yet!

I don't have the time for at least the next month but after that maybe! You should get involved in hattrick. I play and I think dell does/he used to, there used to be many cfc'ers that played, now it's predominantly CDZ'ers!

Yeah I still play. Last season I won my III division but lost my playoff and this season I'm second after four games.

I don't play that game :)
...Mesa back!

Jose wins Champions League again.

As Forrest Gump said, sh*t happens.

And Blackpool got promoted. In all honesty i hope it doesn't happen but i feel there will be some records broken by them next season, not in the positive sense!

Inter were playing a dull but effective way of football it just goes to show how they can nullify an attacking team that good. Obvious win really.

Hi guys. American who has no clue about "football" and all its intricacies has a question. I've been wondering about it for a time now.

Diving. It almost seems like FIFA condones diving, seeing as how the penalty for (being caught) diving is only a yellow card (but, as I understand it, this is never called anyway), and, as I understand it, if it's caught after the game (i.e. the referee missed it), then the player gets a two-game suspension (but the team is otherwise unaffected).

Now that, to me, is holding up a sign that says "Hey all you selfless team players out there Wanna help your team win? Dive! Especially if you're not that good anyway!" A team not having a player for two games can't be much of a disadvantage (after all, they'll still be able to field 11 men), especially if it comes with drawing a penalty (which, as I understand, is an automatic goal, which, as I understand, is almost like an automatic win).

I've read all these things about FIFA wanting to reduce the amount of diving in the sport but it seems like that's all talk and they're not actually doing anything effective. Is that right or is one of my "as I understand"s wrong?

It seems to me that a fitting punishment for being caught diving would be, say, a two game suspension where your team would have to field 10 players, and for multiple offenses, a year ban from all FIFA-sanctioned games. Now that may be harsh if the star player for some major team gets banned from the game, but well, he shouldn't have been diving now, should he have?

In a sport where goals are few and far between, the incentive to simulate is far greater than in other sports, so why isn't the punishment as high?

Is that a serious post? I wonder ;)

A penalty isn't an automatic goal, lots of penalties get missed. And a goal isn't an automatic win :lol:

People do get booked for diving. I agree more people should be booked for it. Every year FIFA announces that players must respect the rules and the referees but after a couple of weeks it all goes back to how it was. A big problem is that they use the World Cup, the flagship tournament, to bring in the changes and it results in a lot of sendings off ruining the spectacle somewhat. FIFA is stupid though, they basically said no to any use of TV replays when the game is playing (even for things like - did the ball cross the line). LOL.

If Rooney got banned for 2 games it would affect the Mancs quite badly.

A penalty isn't an automatic goal, lots of penalties get missed. And a goal isn't an automatic win :lol:

People do get booked for diving. I agree more people should be booked for it. Every year FIFA announces that players must respect the rules and the referees but after a couple of weeks it all goes back to how it was. A big problem is that they use the World Cup, the flagship tournament, to bring in the changes and it results in a lot of sendings off ruining the spectacle somewhat. FIFA is stupid though, they basically said no to any use of TV replays when the game is playing (even for things like - did the ball cross the line). LOL.

If Rooney got banned for 2 games it would affect the Mancs quite badly.

I dunno, eagle eyed linesman spotted it instantly in the FA cup final from Drogba's free kick when TV folk initially thought it was over!

Okay, that part was kinda tongue-in-cheek. My point though was that it seemed that a penalty for a two game suspension is more than a fair trade in terms of results.

I don't know about people who are way more in the know, but if they do enforce the diving rule this world cup, I will be happy to see divers be booked and hopefully sent off. Seeing as all the dives seem to come from the big teams, it'll make for more exciting matches...

The problem is the definition of diving, iirc, requires that there is no contact from the other player when they go down. Which ends up with no one being punished. Damn Italians...

The problem is the definition of diving, iirc, requires that there is no contact from the other player when they go down. Which ends up with no one being punished. Damn Italians...

Scotland is always at the fore of innovation :crazyeye:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom