The Evil Double-Attacking Rifleman.

swordspider

Dread Multiplayer
China-Specific. I guess I just hadn't noticed this until recently, but when China upgrades a Chu-ko-nu (Their UU which comes standard with double attack) to a Rifleman, *all* the promotions transfer over, including the double attack. Further, since you can still build Chu's when you have Rifling, as long as you have the money (115 Gold in Quick), you can upgrade your Chu's right out of a city into a double-attacking Rifleman. The promotion sticks all the way down the tech tree- that is of course if anyone can survive double-attacking Riflemen in the first place!

I might try China in the next game just for this. Nice tip

Almost forgot about this...and machinery makes your units move faster. But with roads 4 moves is almost always enough. I often delay this tech and get this after rifles. I have to remember to tech machinery first with China and his UU next time but it will slow down the riflemen rush by 5-6 turns, unless i'm waiting for my great scientist.

Hm nice, i'll have try that soon.
Sounds pretty powerful

I've done this a few times. The thing is you almost never get to actually attack twice because if you move, you only get one attack. So you only get to attack twice if you start your turn next to your target, which happens sometimes when going at cities, but that's about it in my experience.

If you want double-attacking riflemen, earn Blitz playing as Darius. My last game as Darius I had a 150+ turn golden age without Chichen Itza. Gives your combat units +10% strength and +1 movement. Though truthfully, even then I wasn't attacking twice very often. Still the extra move is really nice.

march/medic are often more valuable than blitz for a 2 movement unit. if you're darius then blitz is more valuable b/c that extra move could let you attack once then retreat 2 spaces, or attack twice then still retreat, etc.

I've played a china game where I did what you described, I ended up with 9 or 10 double attack rifles. they were cool, but I'd already basically won the game by the time they came into play anyway.

You'll find that all of the UU's unique traits will upgrade with them. Even the Landsnecht upgrades from Spearman for only 10 gold since it has no unique attributes except its "cost" to train.

The bigger advantage with having 2 attacks is that you can attack one, and then retreat out of the direct line of fire. It can help get an extra unit to the front for another attack on the city in tight spaces.

And if you get lucky with a scout goody hut, you have a Mechanized infantry unit that attacks twice (Maybe 3 times with blitz) and ignores terrain costs.

Not any longer. After the December patch, a unit can only get one upgrade from goody huts.

Moving after attacking is the more useful application of this. Haven't played China for a long time, I had forgotten about this. It's definitely one of those promotions that should be lost on upgrade.

It works all the way up to mech infantry. Units abilities never disappear. Buying units with cool abilities and upgrading them and promoting them through the ages makes it possible to create super soldiers that can easily inhilate vast armies.

I've played a china game where I did what you described, I ended up with 9 or 10 double attack rifles. they were cool, but I'd already basically won the game by the time they came into play anyway.

But, if you hadn't have almost won, think how much more powerful of an attack force you would have had.

I agree there are pros ad cons, just putting this out there since it is a 'strategy'.

I've done this a few times. The thing is you almost never get to actually attack twice because if you move, you only get one attack. So you only get to attack twice if you start your turn next to your target, which happens sometimes when going at cities, but that's about it in my experience.

Dude, completely disagree. The double attack or attack/move is huge whether attacking a city or a unit.

Double-attack is straight forward enough, you can attack a unit twice or a city twice, nice.

Attack/Move you are way undervaluing. If you attack an adjacent target and don't win, you can move away allowing a fully healed unit their turn. On a city in particular this is huge. If it has only 3 attack tiles and you have 6 units, all 6 units can still attack at full health. That is an insane bonus.

Attack/Move you are way undervaluing. If you attack an adjacent target and don't win, you can move away allowing a fully healed unit their turn. On a city in particular this is huge. If it has only 3 attack tiles and you have 6 units, all 6 units can still attack at full health. That is an insane bonus.

All I can say is that when I get blitz or the times I've upgraded my ckns, I barely ever use the second attack. It could just be a difference in strategy. I don't think the promotion is worthless. I just don't rate it like I do march. But hey, you save 30 :c5production: by doing this over upgrading longswords, so that's a bonus.

Could blitz stack with the CKN ability if you upgraded to Mech. Infantry? Allowing 3 attack per turn?

blitz isn't +1 attacks, it is unlimited.

taken to an extreme, as persia you can have a helicopter gunship that attacks 10 times in one turn... from a lancer you can get blitz and +1 movement, gunship has it's own separate +2 movement promotions, golden age +1. i love lancer gunships.

Top Bottom