The Game Setting Discussion Thread!

croxis

Chat room op
Time to start thinking about what we want next game. or Strider told me

How was difficulty last game? To hard/easy/goldy locks?

Map size and type?

Number of AI?

Extra settings (I am a fan of No Technology Brokering myself)?

And, last but not least, who do we play?
(Or do we go random?)
[But no Zulu. If we are zulu we are insta restart]

Before we begin discussing the mechanical settings of a new game (what type map; what size world; what difficult level; etc.) we first should decide what flavor of fun we want in our game, and then determine how to achieve that.

It’s clear many (probably most) people want a game that maximizes roleplay in addition to political simulation; and others also want to see good historical flavor, good gameplay, maximum social interaction, and so forth. We can influence many of these factors by our selection of a civ and what sort of story we can weave around that civ.

For example, we could choose Pericles (Creative & Philosophical) and stipulate that our game must in a broad sense reflect history. We could make sure that we include Persia in the game so we can have the Persian wars. (It’s been a long time since I’ve read Greek history. Was Pericles actually involved in those? I think of him as being more active in the Peloponnesian war. Maybe we can have someone mod in Sparta … Anyway, from a roleplay perspective it doesn’t matter.) During Pericles time the arts flourished in Greece. We should make it a point to build the Parthenon (and if we don’t, conquer the civ that builds it), the Great Library (ditto), and be first to found Music (for the Great Artist). For obvious reasons we should beeline Democracy. Our victory goals might be either Culture or Diplomacy. These victories would of course be appropriate both from an historic and roleplay sense, but would also compliment Pericles’ Civ. gameplay characteristics.

Another example might be Lincoln (Charismatic and Philosophical). We would vow never to adopt the Slavery civic. In fact, we must declare war on any civ that uses slavery, and stay at war with them until they adopt another civic. We should beeline Emancipation, and stay in that civic throughout the rest of the game. Winning the space race might be an appropriate victory. Or Willem might be fun, both from an historic as well as a gameplay perspective, as would numerous other leaders.

Once we’ve figured out what sort of scenario we want to play, a lot of the game settings will be more obvious. As will, I believe, what form and structure our rule set and government should take.

Before we begin discussing the mechanical settings of a new game (what type map; what size world; what difficult level; etc.) we first should decide what flavor of fun we want in our game, and then determine how to achieve that.

It’s clear many (probably most) people want a game that maximizes roleplay in addition to political simulation; and others also want to see good historical flavor, good gameplay, maximum social interaction, and so forth. We can influence many of these factors by our selection of a civ and what sort of story we can weave around that civ.

For example, we could choose Pericles (Creative & Philosophical) and stipulate that our game must in a broad sense reflect history. We could make sure that we include Persia in the game so we can have the Persian wars. (It’s been a long time since I’ve read Greek history. Was Pericles actually involved in those? I think of him as being more active in the Peloponnesian war. Maybe we can have someone mod in Sparta … Anyway, from a roleplay perspective it doesn’t matter.) During Pericles time the arts flourished in Greece. We should make it a point to build the Parthenon (and if we don’t, conquer the civ that builds it), the Great Library (ditto), and be first to found Music (for the Great Artist). For obvious reasons we should beeline Democracy. Our victory goals might be either Culture or Diplomacy. These victories would of course be appropriate both from an historic and roleplay sense, but would also compliment Pericles’ Civ. gameplay characteristics.

Another example might be Lincoln (Charismatic and Philosophical). We would vow never to adopt the Slavery civic. In fact, we must declare war on any civ that uses slavery, and stay at war with them until they adopt another civic. We should beeline Emancipation, and stay in that civic throughout the rest of the game. Winning the space race might be an appropriate victory. Or Willem might be fun, both from an historic as well as a gameplay perspective, as would numerous other leaders.

Once we’ve figured out what sort of scenario we want to play, a lot of the game settings will be more obvious. As will, I believe, what form and structure our rule set and government should take.

I, personally, don't think playing a scenario would be much fun. Especially if all we are going to do is just copy (to the best of our abilities) what happened in history. We already know what is going to happen (although not perhaps the results).

The idea is to create our own path and history.

I think we should randomize CIV and leaders, then we make rules for behavior.

We need max surprise the next game, random all parameters.

How was difficulty last game? To hard/easy/goldy locks?

If we want more roleplay, it may be wise to go down a level or two as then deicisons, mistakes and oversights don't become too expensive. If we choose to play Civ4 as a group to the best we can and not worry too much about the roleplay, then the level we were at, or one above/below would be fine
Map size and type?

Standard Map size and Fractual map, as it is the most random map setting
Number of AI?

Standard or higher to the map, i would like to see more AI on the map, as one of the reasons the last game got a bit dull is that foregin issues only really consisted of wars. With more AI, we wouldn't be able to take them all at once, so it allows for the possiblity of more interesting foregin relations matters.

I think the standard settings would be better, partly because we don't want confusion over what our settings allow us to do and not do.

I think it would be possible, I personally like quick speed, though it can be a bit fast.

By the way, are we still thinking about playing 1 turn a day instead of turnchats, like donsig proposed last time around?

I agree with what Bertie said with regard to difficulty: Are we going to be roleplaying, or playing CIV to win? Or some of both? That question needs to addressed before we can set a difficulty.

As for other settings, I'm a fan of Fractal with all random (except we could maybe keep sea level at Medium). Number of AI should be 1 or 2 above the default for our map size, whatever that might be (standard is fine with me).

For extra settings, I like Permanent Alliances and Aggressive AI. No Technology Brokering would okay as well. Without aggressive AI, AI are mostly content to just sit there for a very long time. It also means you really need to be on your toes if Monty/Shaka/Genghis/etc. are around early on.

Also, I don't agree with setting historical rules for our Civ (like Lincoln hating Slavery and Pericles fighting Persians/Spartans). The whole point of CIV is to recreate history, not mimic it.

Dutch just posted, so I'll respond to that: I like the idea of one turn per day. That way, you KNOW when the turn is going to happen, and that the game will be kept moving. The only problem I can forsee is if something were to occur that requires a big decision within 1 turn, everyone's input might not be taken into consideration. I don't know if there's a way around this, or if we'd have to just let the decision be made and so be it.

Map size and type?
Standard map size so as to include everyone. I personally would go with either Fractal (a good random script) or Big and Small, which gives a nice varied world. The rest of the settings (sea level, continent size, etc.) I would leave on random.

Number of AI?
The normal number (six AIs for a standard size map).

I don't really care...

And, last but not least, who do we play?
(Or do we go random?)
[But no Zulu. If we are zulu we are insta restart]
We probably should poll this, but I would like random.

How was difficulty last game? I didn't play :scan:

Map size and type? I like standard continents because it's a good size and it allows for all kinds of action and less of everyone crammed together
Number of AI? I believe that 7 is the standard for that map
Extra settings? I like standard settings, but that could be modified depending on how much RPing we want to do
And, last but not least, who do we play? For this I would choose random because each person would have a favorite and this would be balanced :goodjob:

Leader: Random (Sounds good)
Opponents: Random (Same)
Climate: Temperate (K)
Sea level: Medium (K)
Game Speed: Normal (Sure)
Size: Standard (Yup)
Difficulty Level: Prince (something around this works, just need to make sure we have experienced people at the level we decide to make sure we don't end up doing something that works at noble but not at prince)
Map Script: "Normal" Continents :)D)
Barbarians: Normal (sounds good)
Lock Modified Assets (ok)

well what game are we playing? if it is BTS, i suggest unrestricted personalities as an option. Meeting Ghandi of the Mongols always brings a smile to my face. I also enjoy "choose own religions" as it allows different interpretations of said religions.

As for the map
Leader: Random, though I like Tokugawa
Nation: Random, though Holy Rome rules
Climate: i prefer tropical
map type: pangea or continents
sea level: random or high
map size: i like large, cause i like at least 10-12 civs
game speed: im a marathon addict, but i see the flaws in a demo marathon so ill pick standard ;)
# of opponents I wholly support 10 + civs, but I roleplay alot and this adds tons of flavor (there wasn't enough in the last game)

other options: Tech Brokering (awesome) random personalities (this is a maybe, but can make for an incredibly unpredictable game)

I really like Tech Brokering for the fact that if a rival civ is about to get a tech only you have, you can trade it to them so they can't trade it to anyone else :)

Aye! BTS it is!

How about Terra? We start off somewhat high density, we have an contenant which we can colonise and then allow the colony to form its own nation. It be great for mid game roleplaying if we are leading the game.

What does choose own religion do?

How about Terra? We start off somewhat high density, we have an contenant which we can colonise and then allow the colony to form its own nation. It be great for mid game roleplaying if we are leading the game.

This is a really good idea. Yet, it does make our land much smaller.
What does choose own religion do?

It basicly allows you to call your religion any name that hasn't been founded yet. example, you can get islam from meditation and confucism from monotheism respectively

Time scale: anything where we won't have weeks of nothing much happening. I tried marathon for a HOF game and the 30 turn city growth and simple build times had me twitching after an hours play.

Civ: there is a lot to be said for role playing a civ which everyone knows something about. Look back at the old civ3 games, the ancient civs were the ones which got the best roleplay. I understand the thought that just following along with history could be limiting, but not knowing anything about the civ leaves folks wandering around not knowing what to say.

No tech brokering helps if it's the AI doing the brokering, but it takes away the prospect of finding another continent first and being the traders.

Choose own religion means that when you get a religion granting tech, you get to choose which religion is founded. It's primarily designed for religious people who prefer to play as their own religion, but also serves to add spice for those who don't care other than to have something different.

edit: Strider, your bold text looks like shouting. ;)

well what game are we playing? if it is BTS, i suggest unrestricted personalities as an option. Meeting Ghandi of the Mongols always brings a smile to my face. I also enjoy "choose own religions" as it allows different interpretations of said religions.

As for the map
Leader: Random, though I like Tokugawa
Nation: Random, though Holy Rome rules
Climate: i prefer tropical
map type: pangea or continents
sea level: random or high
map size: i like large, cause i like at least 10-12 civs
game speed: im a marathon addict, but i see the flaws in a demo marathon so ill pick standard ;)
# of opponents I wholly support 10 + civs, but I roleplay alot and this adds tons of flavor (there wasn't enough in the last game)

other options: Tech Brokering (awesome) random personalities (this is a maybe, but can make for an incredibly unpredictable game)

I really like Tech Brokering for the fact that if a rival civ is about to get a tech only you have, you can trade it to them so they can't trade it to anyone else :)

I agree to unrestricted personalities, but beyond that, all random terrain. We may need a large map and max out civ number. Standard time. I like the Terra Map, as the entire game revolves around an Age of Discovery whic require an unfound continent to play out right.

Standard map size
Terra Land
Climate, World Age, and Sea Level should be randomized.

Choose own religion means that when you get a religion granting tech, you get to choose which religion is founded. It's primarily designed for religious people who prefer to play as their own religion, but also serves to add spice for those who don't care other than to have something different.
I was wondering about that option, but now I know. Thanks Dave :).

Top Bottom