The Great DoC 1.9 UHV Challenge

Portugal win 1650 (earliest possible) virtual 1605 as per the screenshot

Monarch/normal, score is 5343

I settled my 2nd city on the Carthago/Tunis spot, as it is a lot closer than the south african city, safer from barbarians and closer to reinforcements if need be, and faster to set up with the lisbon workers that usually end up idle pretty fast.

I added a 2nd city ASAP in Algeria/Morocco (Melila spot) since the spanish eventually would settle it, and it's the only other city that can be settled pre-optics.

Beelined to optics for carracks and conquerors. I didn't actually "conquer" anything, but Portugal is hammer poor and the troops provided the garrisons for my future colonies.

After optics I went for Astronomy. I popped it from a hut when it was 2/3 researched already. Nothing really to write about after, Lisbon chain produced settlers, and with absolutism I was getting one out every 3 turns so it went pretty fast and the last city was founded in California in 1605. I didn't create any junk cities as you can see, it's all pretty good stuff and in 1650 I'm about to become first in every relevant demographic.

The map UHV seems to be an autowin, I totally forgot about it and still got the UHV. Perhaps something more challenging is in order, and less tedious too as we all know the map by now.

As for the 15 founded cities: Stability for Portugal isn't an issue, I settled in a lot of ahistorical places, and I'm still solid (+20) even with the post golden age recession. So it's an autowin too unless you lose Lisbon to the Spanish.

The open borders UHV depends on luck: With 3 civs collapsing between 1600 and 1650, it got pretty close although I could have switched out of catholicism and get 1 or 2 more open borders.

My suggestions: Redo all the UHVs. The first 2 present zero challenge, and the third is partially outside the player's control.

Attachments

• Joao II .CivBeyondSwordSave
    961.6 KB · Views: 50
  • Civ4ScreenShot0050.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0050.JPG
    167 KB · Views: 114
  • Civ4ScreenShot0056.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0056.JPG
    92.9 KB · Views: 66
I've always thought controlling all happiness resources would be a nice goal for Portugal.

I've a stupid question: on waht depends the score, apart the number of cities and the wonders builted?? :confused:

Why not? Its not like Brazil can't do it.

Witout the wonders resources.

Maybe the other can be to have more cities in Africa (and maybe also Asia) than any other civ by a certain date. This would open up more than just settler, and could also give to more military strategies early on with invading Egypt or East Africa.

Hi just finished an imba Greece game on emperor/normal. Score 30000 and Augustus Caesar!! Finished it on turn 170 whatver date that is...

i ll link the save :)

Attachments

• Pericles Medieval Age Turn 170.CivBeyondSwordSave
    335.3 KB · Views: 50
This was certainly no great game, but at least now Leoreth knows it can still be done.

I started at war with India (i.e. no bonus forces), but the regular troops and minor swaps were enough for the subcontinent. A short stop at Persia and the needed 12 cities were done.
The most important Borobudur wonder was pre-built at Varanasi - I don't think the Mughal UHV is possible without it.

After the hectic start rather smooth sailing towards the 2nd UHV - even without spies or GP bulbing constitution can be easily discovered in time.
The majority of Southern India was graciously gifted to China, so the TC event turned out a non-issue with a short English visit.
The virtual UHV was in 1742 - so nothing to brag about. It could have certainly been much earlier, but I was reluctant to stop teching too soon in order to prepare for potential late TC or Turkish visitors.

Attachments

• Akbar AD-1745 Turn 336 uhv.CivBeyondSwordSave
    1.2 MB · Views: 47
  • akbar_uhv.jpg
    akbar_uhv.jpg
    364.9 KB · Views: 128
After trying the mod (really nice work!) I realized that my attempt with Babylon would actually beat the record, so I did it a second time, this time even slightly better.

I started with Writing, while the city built a warrior, so that the other one could go for the huts. First hut: Horseback Riding (!) which is of no immediate use, but a classical tech; second hut: gold - buy one mercenary (war chariot) and capture together with the warrior Shushan; meanwhile a worker was built and Mysticism and Polytheism discovered, followed by Masonry, Priesthood and Monarchy; Oracle yielded Code of Law.

Babylon grew and built a bunch of wonders (Gardens, Oracle, Ishtar, Sphinx), while Shushan provided Bows and another worker. Persia appeared with immediate war, I refused to surrender and Persia finally managed to conquer Shush under heavy losses, so that then Babylon was save until turn 94.

Of course, the tech helped, but my first attempt was as fast, I simply got more wonders and a higher score this time. Also, the end was turn 94 but I got Monarchy in turn 82 and had the lead in city size and culture at least since turn 76. :king:

One funny thing: my great Prophet converted to the Persians on appearance ...

Attachments

• Hammurabi Stone Age Turn 94.CivBeyondSwordSave
    174.3 KB · Views: 59
Hi just finished a nice Rome game at emperor/normal in 610 AD, score was almost 36k:)

Strat was:

1- reserach construction
2- build oracle bulb currency
3- Assault carthage with initial Legions, then Egypt with lots of mercenaries, then greece with remnants
4- Build 1 city in spain and 1 city in Copper spot in greece to speed up Colossus for rome.
5 rest of game was build some triremes to keep trade routes open and enough def to survive barbs.
6- Lose on pupose some cities to barbs to speed up research rate after 2/3.
7- Got Civil service no bulbing in time at 610 AD.

GG:)

Attachments

• Augustus Caesar AD-0610 Turn 182.CivBeyondSwordSave
    371.7 KB · Views: 42
Monarch/normal, 9059, Virtual in 1775

Inspired by Tomorrow's Dawn strategy of sending the 2nd settler to Ireland, I decided to give it another go at France, with some variations as this is a 600AD start so no mass flipping of barbs and sending them for an early conquest of Italy.

Also, instead of settling Ireland, I settled scotland, one south of the cow, after the british spawn. Ireland was conquered with the indep city reached size 2, with a single axeman into an undefended city. This gave me 5 cities in total, so a solid start.

I took Rome a few turns after the italian spawn, and dowed and razed the italian cities when the 10 turns delay was up, then turned my troops north toward England. Meanwhile, Spain peace vassaled to me while at war with Portugal. The conquest of England was achieved in 1520, when they collapsed after loosing their capital while I razed Plymouth.

Spain never conquered Portugal. Their troops were sitting in huge stacks, seemingly stuck in place by that weird bug. I ended up making peace because I didn't want to send troops on a really sub par mission, in order to make the atlantic crossing safer. Losing one loaded galleon was enough.

I went the lib route first, and got Astronomy from the spanish in a trade.

After England it was HRE next (only Wien), and then the Ottomans. They capitulated around 1670, wrapping up the europe land requirement. The north american land requirement was done in the early 1700s with 5 cities (new orleans, denver, chicago, Regina and los angeles spots). The wonders were done in 1775, rushed by 2 great engineers (I spawned 5 of them total).

A much easier game than my first attempt, even though I greatly overexpanded in unnecessary areas (south america). The 2 extra cities in the british islands really make a difference, especially for the fur resource.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0059.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0059.JPG
    218.3 KB · Views: 177
  • Civ4ScreenShot0061.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0061.JPG
    92.3 KB · Views: 76
  • Louis XIV score.CivBeyondSwordSave
    1.2 MB · Views: 47
I'll update this in a bit (I had computer issues and etc.), don't worry, your scores will be going up.

Also, @Barbuesque, I'm sad that you knocked my France game off the list, but I just can't help but smile when I know I've made my point. SEE EVERYBODY?
Taking the British Isles early (along with Rome) is THE optimal play for France, and they need to go reasonably early (after the Dutch and French) in the domino line for Prussia as well.

What does that mean?

It means they have to die early.

In my opinion, the optimal kill order for Prussia is:

1. Dutch
2. French
3. Italy/Britain
4, and onwards: Freestyle

Britain needs to go quickly because in my experience, they're very quick to reach Machine Guns.

Top Bottom