[GS] The Great Duel of Our Time

I'd like them to play the revamped civs we dont know the bonuses for.

Ed said GS civs only. I wonder if those things are under NDA because the youtubers haven't been too interested in discussing changed civs either .

That's to bad, I like playing Indonesia and was curious to know what changes they made to them. I guess I can wait till Friday.

Sorry but who is Carl ?

Sorry but who is Carl ?

Carl is the lead tester for Civ 6 GS and has been the person actually playing Civ 6 during (most of) the live streams.

Supposedly, he is quite good and loves warmongering. So we currently don't have much hope for Ed.

I'm not so sure Ed is the underdog most people here seem to think. I haven't really seen Carl play that amazingly on stream. That doesn't mean he can't be a good player when fully focused, but I need to see the evidence.

One thing I do know, however, is that the game heavily favours warmongering, and Carl is said to lean strongly towards warmongering. For that reason, I think the best matchup might be Hungary versus Ottomans. I don't care much who plays which.

I too would vote Hungary (Ed) x Canada (Carl)

Inca instead of Hungary would be fun too.

For AI, I'd go with Sweden and I really don't have a strong opinion besides that...

Ed should go with Hungary indeed. Carl should get the peaceful Incas. Ports though mountains vs. levied defences could be cool.
Freleanor and Suleiman for the sidekicks...

Goddamn, I wanted to suggest him playing Norway or Georgia to convince devs to buff those garbage tier civs :p

Yeah after reading the suggestions I want Ed to go for Hungary too against Carls Canada.
I don't want the two AI's to interfere with one civ to much or as les as possible to keep it fair.
As AI's I want to see Eleanore of France, because we haven't seen a lot of her yet and her bonus come late and Dido's Phoenicia because she'll probably starts at a non tundra coast and wont interfere (at least at the start) to much with the two dualist's.
The Inca could be a huge opponent for Hungary for settling and Sweden would probably race Canada to much. The Maori could land at either doorstep and hinder one of them and the Ottomans will warmonger more against someone he can surprise attack like Hungary in this case. Mali would be OK but could be conquered easily by Hungary if it settled to close to him as Mali starts very weak.

Last edited:
Ed - Hungary
Carl - Ottomans

Lets see how fast it will end. Also historicaly it fits nice.

He said the civ he is leaning towards at the moment would appeal to the agendas of the two AIs he is picking. Presumably so he can use them to triple-team Carlnada.

Neither can Carl though. So they are at parity in the surprise department.

True, and from what I understand Carl is playing competitive MP a lot more than Ed, so I think Ed will be looking at a more level playing field with no surprise wars. However having seen Carl play, he's not elite level.

I voted Canada for Carl and Inca for Ed. Also Maori and Mali for the AI to see how it handles the mechanics of those civs.

looks like it starts a little too early for me. How long will they be playing?

Looks like Carl may put some extra time into Canada.

I'm still going with Hungary for Ed. Armani 1st + Early levy looks to be killer as no player could get above 5 envoys quickly.

I wouldn't like Ed to play as Canada since Carl would give Ed 5 turns notice when declaring war. I'd like to see Ed play as Spain since he can pair his Conquistador with a missionary which means a lot of combat strength.

I'd like Carl to play as England (either leader) since the Redcoats get bonuses on other continents.

EDIT: So it seems GS only Civs and Carl is picking Canada. I'd like Ed to play as the Ottomans then.

He said the civ he is leaning towards at the moment would appeal to the agendas of the two AIs he is picking. Presumably so he can use them to triple-team Carlnada.
I don't remember all the new agendas, but I think that Eleanor and Dido would like the Inca, as the Inca can avoid the coast and have big cities.

Top Bottom