The Great People Thread

good mix of great people. i wonder if there is any functional difference between portraits and landscapes (and sculpture)

edit: actually it's a great mix

Last edited:
good mix of great people. i wonder if there is any functional difference between portraits and landscapes (and sculpture)

edit: actually it's a great mix
Agree that it's a great mix.

With respect to portraits/landscapes/sculptures/religious art: these are relevant for theming bonuses. To theme an art museum, you need to have 3 pieces of the same type by different artists. Theming doubles the output of the great works, as far as we can tell. (Also even though that page says religious art has different intrinsic yield than sculptures, I'm not sure that's really the case.)

EDIT: See this thread for more info http://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/great-work-yield.576264/

From trying to decipher the Google translated version of the Chinese leaks...

Douglas MacArthur (Atomic General): Creates a Tank unit with one free promotion.
Ahmad Shah Massoud (Information General): Creates a Modern AT unit with one free promotion.

Siddhartha Gautama (Classical Prophet) [era]
Simon Peter (Classical Prophet) [era]
Bodidharma (Medieval Prophet) [era]
Francis of Assisi (Renaissance Prophet) [era]

Zheng He (Medieval Admiral): Grants one Envoy.
Grace Hopper (Atomic Admiral): Random Eureka moment for an Atomic or Information era technology.
Sergey Gorshkov (Atomic Admiral): Provides a free promotion and +100% combat experience for the unit on this tile. (This one is very unclear, I made a guess as to what google translate meant.)

Abdus Salam (Information Scientist): (this one is also unclear, it says "activation time find all the information era of technology" which seems overpowered if you snagged him early on

Joseph Paxton is actually an Industrial Engineer, apparently. Presumably him showing up as Information Era in game was due to having run out of available great people from the late game, so it used him from earlier?

John Roebling (Atomic Engineer): +1 Amenity and +2 Housing for this city.
Charles Correa (Information Engineer): (this one looks like it provides +2 Amenities but I'm not sure about the translation)
Wernher von Braun (Information Engineer): Immediately completes construction of the Space Race project.

Marco Polo and Piero di Baldi are Medieval Merchants. Jamsetji Tata is a Modern Merchant.

Helena Rubinstein (Atomic Merchant): Grants +2 Cosmetics.
Estée Lauder (Information Merchant): Grants +2 Perfume.

Qiu Ying (Industrial Artist): "Spring Morning in the Han Palace," "Fishermen in Reclusion Among the Lotus Stream," "Red Cliff" (all Landscapes).
Claude Monet (Atomic Artist): "Water Lilies," "Impression, Sunrise," "Haystacks at Giverny" (all Landscapes).
Edmonia Lewis (Atomic Artist): "The Death of Cleopatra," "The Marriage of Hiawatha and Minnehaha," "Pompeiian Girl" (all Sculptures).
Gustav Klimt (Atomic Artist): "The Kiss" (Portrait presumably), "Avenue in Schloss Kammer Park," "The Sunflower" (both Landscapes presumably).
Boris Orlovsky (Information Artist): "Mikhail Kutuzov," "Alexander Victory Column," "Bust of Tsar Alexander I" (all Sculptures).
Mary Cassatt (Information Artist): "Lydia Leaning on Her Arms," "The Child's Bath," "The Cup of Tea" (all Portraits).

Frédéric Chopin (Modern Musician): "Nocturne in E Flat Major," "Grande Valse Brillante, Op. 18"
Antonín Dvořák (Atomic Musician): "Symphony No. 9 ("New World") Mvt. 4," "Serenade for Strings, Op. 22 Mvt. 2"
Lili'uokalani (Atomic Musician): "Lili'uokalani's Prayer," "Sanoe"
Mykola Leontovych (Information Musician): "Carol of the Bells," "Prelude for Choir"

(Engineers, Scientists, and Merchants seem to be able to reappear in later eras if they had been skipped over but there are no unique Great People of their type later--presumably the eras given on this Chinese site are the original eras they are from, since they have appeared later in-game)

(Presumably, Artists, Writers, and Musicians from earlier periods being counted as Modern/Atomic/Information is due to copyright issues from using more recent works, so they decided to use public domain works instead)

Last edited:
I feel like Patton should take MacArthur's ability.

And throwing the leader of the Mujahadeen in there is amusing.

Thanks. Worked on the rest of them while you were doing the same. Totally missed Chopin though. Charles Correa is +2 appeal. The language is the same as the other appeal Engineer. Abdus Salaam I thought triggered the Eureka for everything but idk either.

Also noted the number of charges various Engineers have.

It is an impressive list after all, but it is kind weird to see van Gogh as an atomic era artist...

It is an impressive list after all, but it is kind weird to see van Gogh as an atomic era artist...

Yeah, and Dvořák as an Atomic Musician. It seems tying GP to eras has kept the anachronisms alive and well :p

I was looking forward to seeing the likes of Warhol and Presley in the later eras (possibly a copyright issue?).

Huh, if coyright were the case, and keeping thr anachronism was the main objective, maybe they can settle with everyone-second-pick of Great Persons? Those whose name are known well, but not that much to have their own foundation and company to guard their rights.

Im not that hip to name a few instantly, but I think you guys know what im talking about

According to that site, the following Great People (all engineers) have two uses:

Isidore of Miletus
James of St. George
Filippo Brunelleschi
Mimar Sinan
Gustave Eiffel
John Roebling

I would guess the effect of Charles Correa is:

Charles Correa: All hexes this city owns get +2 appeal

Also, there seem to be some discrepancies with what we already know. For instance, Stephanie Kwolek on that Chinese site seems to be

Stephanie Kwolek: Immediately complete the construction of a space race project.

Dunno if that means the effects are still changing, or what.

EDIT: Oh, it looks like the OP has updated the first post with all the information from the Chinese leak now.

Top Bottom