1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Hall of Players

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Hall of Fame Discussion' started by Seraiel, Apr 30, 2015.

1. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

Well, FML, the same thing happened again :mad:

Was such a nice game too, or so it looked so far.

Looks like the bug is that the game erroneously holds down the Alt key when going back in. So when I then right-click on a leaderhead, the game declares war instead of pulling up the diplo screen. Incredibly annoying!

2. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

Okay, I started a new save to try to get to the bottom of this. Added another scout near an AI city so I had view on it when founded so I can see the defender, and added alpha so I get tech view.

1. Select our warrior.
    2. Changed workspaces and went back. Things look okay when I hover over the defending city archer.
    3. Change workspaces again, but this time go back into the game by clicking on the UI element on the bottom of the panel. This also changes the workspace, and puts me back into the game.
    4. Hover over the defending archer again. Hey presto! Combat odds how up. This means the Alt button is erroneously held down.
    5. Go back into the game again by using the UI element (instead of Alt-Ctrl-Right arrow).
    6. Go into the Tech overview, and right-click on the AI leaderhead
    7. WAR HORNS!

Testing some more, going back in using Alt-Ctrl-Right arrow isn't safe either, if I do it very quickly. Looks like if I release the buttons for the shortkey before the game becomes 'active' again, the Alt key is considered held down. Meaning war will be declared if I click on a leader, and presumably also if I click on anything in the scoreboard.

I don't know if this could be an issue on Windows too, if you very quickly Alt-Tab back into the game, but it's possible. Be careful!!!

Edit: Would it be possible to disable this shortcut in some way, without invalidating BUFFY games?

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
  3. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

Tried out a few Hall of Fame games again. Yet to finish any. In this one I was luckier than probably in any instance previously.

Even managed to steal two workers.

Unfortunately things went downhill after that, and I eventually gave up the attempt before 1AD. No food anywhere (except plains cows), so getting an army was pretty hopeless. In another game I lost Oracle CS by one turn but continued afterall. In this one the Oracle went super-early in 1840BC (turned out that two AIs had capital marble, including Asoka). Tried to get the GLH, but with low production and no food it was always a long shot. Came somewhat close (140 failgold), but Mansa got it. Which meant I would have had to kill him seeing as this is Big and Small.

Okay, let's continue anyway. Lets try and HA stomp the AI with only archers and chariots. I did grab the first city despite heavy losses. Maybe the game wanted to inadvertently punish me for the early BW luck. RNG spewed poison in my face every step after that, and several chariots managed to kill C2 HAs. One lucky geezer that survived with 0.2 health after a withdraw actually attacked again, and withdrew again. Couldn't believe my eyes. 0.0% win chance. As a last hurrah I threw everything I had at the capital, which was only defended by poorly promoted archers and a chariot. Lost all but one fight at 45-70% odds.

So frustrating to "lose" such a wonderful start. Typically I can only get one hut as there are AI scouts everywhere, so this was the jackpot. That second gold and wheat popped out of the shadows too. But alas... :sad:

4. Anysense

Anysense Chieftain

Not at all surprised after what I have seen. I gave up fighting without the siege completely - too much gambling, too much frustration after the failures like the one you described.
    My last two attempts at Epic/Standard Space were murdered by power blackouts. It happens like once or twice a year, but of course, it had to happen at exactly the wrong time. One of those was really good and had potential for 11xx landing (2 neighbours lacking both metals and ivory). Apparently it will have to wait until the gauntlet, I don't feel like playing big at the moment.

5. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

Ouch! Sorry to hear that :( Sounds like they were really good games too. 11xx landing would be awesome.

I've had good success with Horse Archers before, especially against non-metal units, so this was just bonkers. Hurts the most in the early-ish game too, when every unit counts. Doesn't matter so much if you have bad luck when you have 50 Cuirs.

Playing another game now, and had access to ivory, and no horses around, so will try elepults. If that isn't safe, I don't know. Kind of a strange map, though. So many AIs nearby I only got 2 cities + capital. But it will have to do. Should really finish one of these games, but it becomes a drag. Had so many .003 games with very promising #1, but of course those won't matter now. For some reason I stopped playing one of them when I was practically done spreading both corporations. Just the last stretch left.

6. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

I'm starting to have second thoughts about having Mansa in my games. Is that nuts?

He's good for getting techs of course, especially in the early to mid game. However, time and again he is teching like hell despite having a puny 3-4 city empire, which leads him to become a threat for (something good from) Lib. He also like to haul ass towards Democracy and the annoying Emancipation. And techs I don't want to go around he will offer to anybody with a pulse.

What do you reckon, would it actually be better to simply remove him? It has become second nature to include him since he will (almost) always trade, but there can be pretty big downsides too.

7. Anysense

Anysense Chieftain

Not sure about Mansa - he is truly very useful. On the other hand, those super early macemen everywhere (because Mansa got Machinery and CS about 500BC and traded them around immediately) are rather annoying. Particularly when you rely on praetorians to do most of the conquering.
    I've been thining of bringing into the game more dunderheads, that tend to stay in Classical era for ever, and fewer fast teching guys. The former are by far easier targets, despite their habit of spaming units.

8. Kaitzilla

Kaitzilla Lord Croissant

Removing Mansa almost always slows down teching in a game's pace.

But it does make earlier rushes easier, and it does simplify diplo a bit more since Mansa can DOW at Pleased.
    It all depends on your goals really.

If you are curious if removing Mansa is a good idea, go for it.
    See how you like it. :)

Anysense likes this.
  9. Anysense

Anysense Chieftain

That is exactly what my idea was - slow the tech pace down to make conquest easier and get to the domination limit earlier. That is the research in the early game is hampered, but I get faster to the point when explosive economic growth begins. That (at least in theory) should produce better results.

10. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

Thankfully he ended up being useful in the game where I was angry with him, but I had to take him as a peace vassal first - which of course means a good portion of land percentage got taken as well. Not ideal, but the least bad option given the circumstances I think.

More generally, I do think it makes some sense to remove him. I may play around with it later, although right now I'm playing some space games, so in those it may still be good to have him. Not sure tbh. It can make claiming land harder when he spams CS and worse around, and it can certainly be hard to get something really good out of Lib. Usually I like to aim for at least Biology in these games, so having to opt for Economics isn't exactly great.