The "I Got A New Game!" Thread

Well, after watching some let's plays of it. I've finally gotten Total War: Shogun 2.

The most recent game I had was Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo remix on ps3. The good thing about the remix is that it is like the classic but with online and multiplayer capabilities. The only issue about it is that it gets too friendly since friendly is the only room that has any players in it. All the other multiplayers are virtually empty.

I picked up Running With Rifles on Steam. A rather novel development. Good stuff.

I bought Hotline Miami 2. The first of very few games I'll probably buy new this year. The first game shot close to the top of my favorite games of all time. HL2 releases tomorrow.

I bought the "Deluxe" edition and I'm convinced that even if the game somehow ends up being terrible, it'll be at least worth it for the soundtrack alone.

Also, they made a "Collector's edition" that has physical stuff with a game code to redeem. It's 60$, which is basically the price of a normal AAA game on release at this point. If it wasn't for dumb international shipping fees I might have considered getting one! Or even two, one to keep, and one to actually play, and I mean play the MUSIC. For 60$ if has three dang vinyl LPs on top of the game. I'd like to give these a spin on my turn table.

Pictures, someone got theirs. Looks awesome. http://imgur.com/a/sduiZ

More official website for details http://store.iam8bit.com/products/hlm2

That's scary. The disc artwork I mean.

My issue with hotline 2 is it looks a ton like hotline 1. It looks like dlc to me. The blurbs say added weapons, factions, playstyles but the gameplay looks identical in the trailer, just with different weapons. I don't really know how you change the gameplay in that style of game anyway, since it is very simple (yet fun!).

Anyway, it looks very cool, I just don't think it's worth the full $15. But if it's your favorite game I get it.

I got hero siege recently and played a few hours this weekend. Going to make a review.

Pre-ordered Cities Skylines just in the nick of time before the pre-order bonuses were no longer available. Don't regret my purchase, even if my machine can't really handle the game well. It's a worthy successor to the old school SimCities. SimCity 4, my greatest God of video games, you have been vindicated! A worthy successor sits upon your august throne!

I can also name citizens Glarthir, too, because they're obviously all Glarthirs trying to kill me.

Pre-ordered Cities Skylines just in the nick of time before the pre-order bonuses were no longer available. Don't regret my purchase, even if my machine can't really handle the game well. It's a worthy successor to the old school SimCities. SimCity 4, my greatest God of video games, you have been vindicated! A worthy successor sits upon your august throne!

I can also name citizens Glarthir, too, because they're obviously all Glarthirs trying to kill me.

So the Marklar is trying to kill Marklar in Marklar and Marklar wants to stop Marklar somehow? Perhaps with a Marklar?

http://southpark.cc.com/clips/151539/welcome-to-marklar

No new games, because apparently the AMD Never Settle bundle ended in January which I didn't realize when I got my R9 290 :(

What a bloody disappointment, I really wanted Star Citizen :(

Oh well, $300 for a 290 was too good to pass up, even if it is by the new and less known brand Club3D. Now I am ready for The Witcher 3 :D

Oh, I picked up Witcher 2. Haven't quite gotten around to actually playing it though.

I broke down and bought the might and magic humble bundle. I didn't have any of the might and magics, or the homm 6 expacs, plus all my homm 1-5 are on disc. I made iso images of them so I could play without swapping dvds all the time but even then the sound and music didn't work right on all the games off the images.

So I'll probably play through homm2 again since it's my favorite for some odd reasons, then I think I'll give might and magic x legacy a try.

I have M&M I - VIII on GoG and I'd quite like to play M&M X, but I really don't want to use Uplay. :(

I recently bought "Star Ruler 2".

Never played the first game, but I am very impressed with this one. It sort of mixes the trade mechanics from the Anno series (in a more abstract form) with Sins of a Solar Empire (real time gameplay, fighting to control systems), adds some planet improvement and ship design options like Star Drive and a tech web plus customizeable races with pretty big differences in playstile like Endless Space.

The tech stuff is pretty cool - 6 different FTL drives, Star Forges that harvest solar matter to turn it into production (until the star explodes...), Planet Buster ships, Shield and Cloaking technology, Artifical planetoids, Ringworlds - and that stuff is well integrated into the mechanics.

The game goes sort of like this: You start with a single homeworld and expand. You can level up your worlds, but each level requires more and more ressources. A planet has one ressource that it can use for itself or export to other worlds (by simple "drag and drop" of the planet on another planet on the map). That can be tier 0 stuff (food, water), which can be substituted by buildings (but that is quite costly early on). Then you have tier I and (very rare) tier II ressources, plus some very special things like "get extra FTL energy for each level this planet has" or "get more diplomatic influence".

Apart from just levelling up a planet, the tier I and II ressources also create "pressure", which the consuming planet turns into free civilian buildings that provide yields like money (used to build stuff), science (used for tech), enegy (used to activate special abilities or artifacts - from water comets to planet generators), diplomatic influence (used to buy and play diplo cards), defence points (used to get free defence ships) and production (used to - duh - produce things). So by creating special supply lines you can specialize you planets - and there is constant pressure to grab all the fancy worlds before the other empires can reach them. In addition to planets you have asteroids that can also have ressources or ore (which is used to build super powerful stuff like Ring Worlds or Star Forges).

Another really cool thing about the game is the diplomacy system. Instead of only the usual treaties you also have the "Senate". There is a stack of dipomatic cards that you can buy for influence points, slowly moving to the left, getting cheaper with each tick. Some of these cards are used to start a vote in the Senate, which can be basic stuff like "host a science center on my world" or "all players get vision on one race" - or you can lobby for the peaceful annexation of planets and even whole systems. Once a vote has started, everyone can play cards for or against the issue. There are also some special cards like: "If the vote passes you get a 'leverage' card that can be used against that race and gives an extra large amount of votes" or "If your vote fails you get the starting card back". And then you also have improvement cards like "Name Planet" (extra pop and production), "Name System" (fleets fight better), "Cultivate Food" (add free food to one world). And you can also use influence on a few key techs, so there is basicially always a struggle where you want to use this powerful but rare ressource. It is one of the most interesting diplomatic systems I have seen in a 4X for quite some time.

...I could go on, but why not just watch Scott Manley's video about the game? :)

tl,dr:
A fantastic 4X game that brings a lot of cool new features to the table and is worth the rather low price of 20$!

I haven't used uplay enough to say whether it sucks or not. But the games I do have that use it (homm 6 and settlers 7) seem to launch and run fine, no different than on steam. I do remember installing homm 6 was a gigantic pain in the ass because I bought it on dvd and it installed but still had to download a ton of stuff and it kept failing at first. I'm not even sure, maybe the dvd is just a key. Civ5 was that way, you bought the disc that had nothing on it, it still downloaded the entire thing through steam.

uPlay isn't that bad. In my experience it isn't as slow to do things like Steam is.

I only ever find Steam slow at loading stuff when it's super busy, something none of it's competition really has to deal with due to the sheer amount of Steam users. 99% of the time though it is quite fast.

Especially on an SSD :D

Top Bottom