The Jarls Of Freyhorn

Subbed, I'll join more in-depth later

The sun is hot, the temperature extreme with the heat scorching the pale and sensitive skin of the Freyhorns. Jarl Borg has set up a small coastal camp hoping that the water helps to sooth the heat exhaustion. High winds constantly throw sand storms their way and water is evaporating even before the men can drink it. Jarl Borg believes in his mind that attempting to cross this desert and explore inland would certainly mean death. There is no evidence of fertile land from what they can see and high mountains cover the landscape in the distance. Some men are even complaining that they want to go back on the ships and sail around the coastline until they find more suitable land. Jarl Borg agrees, but respecting the Chamber of Jarls he brings this to their attention before making a decision.

“I believe going into the desert will perish us all.” He begins to speak.”I propose that we get back onto the ships and continue onward around the coast. We could send in one company to try and find a way through this barren land but then again, that might risk their lives. It is possible that there is a fertile land just across the peaks but is that unsteady risk really worth the chance? So... With that I purpose we re-board the galleys and continue to sail either south or north until we find a more suitable spot to land on. We have the provisions needed to do this. What do you think?”

OOC:
Spoiler :
Pitching the idea to continue our exploration on the galleys. This would save us time and we could explore the land faster if we travel by coast. If there are any rivers they will more than likely feed off into the ocean. If we find any such river we can disembark there and follow inland. We’ll have water to hydrate the men and we will have a better chance at finding suitable land.

Given the current circumstances Jarl Rangfridr and his representative Dagr Oleson would like to agree with Jarl Borg and sail around the island in both directions mapping the coast and searching for places to put ashore.

Jarl Roburr Noyyausson is also of the same opinion, attempting to traverse such a desert would be pointless and possibibly suicidal.
I'd rather go back and fight some more savages than die such a pointless death.

Jarl Hulga Vin'Kuf launches a final assault on native positions. Their forces, weak from previous defeats, crumble underneath the might of Freyhorn warriors.
Spoiler :

Some natives quickly surrender and offer allegiance to the Jarls, they accept their loyalty. The natives warn them of another tribe. A southern group of natives who have been preparing to attack. The Jarls regroup then begin to head south to meet this threat.
Spoiler :
To the east Jarl Borg, Jarl Roburr Noyyausson, Jarl Yelto, and Dagr Oleson and reloaded onto their ships and continue on a southern path along the coastline.
Spoiler :
Back in Freyhorn the new religion of Confucius begins to spread. It take up popularity in Haithabu.
Spoiler :
In Graent Eyan the missionaries settle down in the center of the island, Roskilde. With the new roads completed the island is fully connected. They hope that being at the center of trade and commerce the religion will spread.
Spoiler :
The people of Freyhorn continue to grow. A million souls now call themselves Freyhorn folk!
Spoiler :
Settlers obey Jarl Rangfridr request and move eastward to Winfel.
Spoiler :
The galleys carrying the exploring Jarls come across what appears to be fertile land. From the masts they see grass coastlines.
Spoiler :
Back in the tropical lands to the west Jarl Winfel and Hulga Vin'Kuf have organized their forces. They prepare to cross the inland river onto the southern half of the island when they are stopped by a group of natives. They have small defense posts erected but the Jarls are confident they will be able to push through.
Spoiler :
Jarl Hulga Vin'Kuf leads the charge and easily achieves a breakthrough.
Spoiler :
A group of natives move east to try and flank the Jarls. In response Jarl Winfel rushes to stop their advance. A battle ensues throughout a field of silk and after an hour of conflict the natives are all but destroyed. The Jarls have successfully crossed over into the territories of the southern natives. Soon they will face the same fate as their north.
Spoiler :
The galleys carrying Jarl Borg, Jarl Roburr Noyyausson, Jarl Yelto, and Dagr Oleson moves further along the coast line. As they round about a small point they discover that these lands are already inhabited by another people. They have scouts already watching them from the coastline. This seems like the only fertile region in the land and a river, with surrounding grasslands, stretches north. As the boats float off shores Jarl Borg summons a meeting to decide what should be done next.
Spoiler :
"GLORIOUS NEWS!" A man runs about the streets shouting. "King Ragnar has returned! He has come back from his exploration of the glacial paths and he is here in Graent Eyan!" Soon word spreads and reaches all cities of the great news, Outside Winfel crowds gather to watch as their great King returns to them.
King Ragnar soon learns that Jarl Rangfridr is acting as the Duke of Graent Eyan and sends a messenger to alert him of his arrival. He also requests to meet with the Jarl so he can catch him up to speed with what is going on and where all the other Jarls have gone to.
Spoiler :

OOC:
Spoiler :
More immigrants have arrived to Graent Eyan. King Ragnar has arrived as well and he, ICLY, has no idea with what is currently going on so he needs to be enlightened. Also the Jarls need to come up with a plan on how to land and communicate with these new desert people they have just made contact with. Obviously since they are barbarians there won't be any peace, but for the time being we do not know that.

Jarl Rangfridr would like to host a great banquet in each city on Graent Eyan to celebrate the King's arrival. The King and Jarl Rangfridr will tour the island as they discuss the event since his leaving.

Jarl Roburr Noyyausson would like to suggest to Jarl Borg that we land a scouting party to the west of Cuman, on the other side of the river from the city, and attempt to make contact with the natives, offering a parley on a rowboat in the middle of a river (that should show our not-immediately-hostile intentions, I hope). Let's see how they react.
Meanwhile, another scouting party should start having a look further to the west, to get an idea of the immediate vicinity of the city, and to eventually discover any other potentially hostile presence nearby.

Whatever the outcome, Jarl Roburr will welcome it, for sailing along a desertic coast had become quite boring indeed.

Alas, finals week is over. That means more posts, better detail, and the continuing exploration of the world by the Jarls of Freyhorn!​

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jarl Winfel and Jarl Hulga Vin’Kuf had been campaigning for months through the humid and thick jungles of this exotic island. Hundreds if not thousands of natives had been slain by their companies and they hadn't even lost sixty men all together. The iron and copper of their weapons were surely overwhelming but the exhausting track through the terrain was slowing them down. No matter how many natives died to their axes there were always more waiting to strike. As the companies continued their push into the southern side of the island the men began to grow ill, some sort of jungle fever had spread throughout the camps. Leaving the sick to rest and taking those still fit to fight Jarl Winfel continued his march. A group of natives had made camp on a nearby hill and after logistics were set Jarl Winfel personally led the attack. The natives had good defensive positions but they were out-matched and within thirty minutes they were sent in a route.
Spoiler :

Jarl Hulga Vin’Kuf led her own series of assaults. Under the harassment of spears and arrows they crossed a river on make shift rafts and stormed the shores of enemy positions. The natives did what they could but they were unable to hold against the might of Hulga and her company.
Spoiler :

From Graent Eyan more Freyhorn regulars arrived on the shores of the island. Two full companies of well armed and well rested men. Yet it seemed as if their arrival was too late, most of the action had already passed and only small remnants of the natives remained southward. As ordered by Jarl Rangfridr they began securing the area and preparing for the arrival of settlers. Their captain, Gauk Gilsson, prepared a message to Jarl Rangfridr.

“Great Duke of Graent Eyan Jarl Rangfridr,
We have arrived on the island that Jarl Winfel and Hulga Vin’Kuf have been fighting on for the past several months. I have received word from them that the northern half of the island has been subdued and they are currently chasing down the last remaining natives who have fled south. This land is fertile and rich with resources and we have the valley well protected. From what I have seen we will need many workers if we wish to utilize and tame this land. Jungles cover well over 80% of this island but the dense rainforest is filled with all types of riches that our people can harvest. May the gods of Freyhorn be with our people.
Captain Gauk Gilsson.”

Spoiler :

While Gauk Gilsson prepared for the arrival of settlers Jarl Winfel continued to press on. Another small band of unorganized natives tried in one last desperate attempt to stop the war might of the Freyhorn but it was in vain. After a short skirmish the natives were either killed or captured, not one made it out alive.
Spoiler :

Jarl Hulga Vin’Kuf, wanting the glory for being the final victory over the natives, quickly marched south. The last strong hold of the natives remained intact. In reality it wasn’t much of a strong hold and the native army was made up of wounded, sick, and already defeated warriors who were all standing on their last leg.
Spoiler :

Back on Graent Eyan King Ragnar had arrived at Rangfrigde where he heard Jarl Rangfridr was. With happy arms he embraced his long time friend and congratulated him on the settlement of a land he called, “The heart of Freyhorn glory.” King Ragnar had only seen a small portion of the island but he was already amazed. He saw flourishing farm lands, green pastures filled with livestocks, and almost everywhere towns were beginning to spring up.

“Jarl Rangfridr, or should I say Duke of Graent Eyan.” He said with joy. “I have heard of you and the Jarls success and I have seen this amazing land. It is surely glorious!” Taking a large goblet from a servant he raise his glass and shouted, “Tonight let us feast! Tomorrow you will show me the land and tell me about the other Jarls.” Without further ado King Ragnar proceeded to down his glass of ale.
Spoiler :

To add to the celebration the newly built work boats quickly rushed into the ocean to begin fishing. With the return of King Ragnar they knew they needed many fish to satisfy the needs of the people. Without waisting time they settled throughout the breeding ground of sea fish and proceeded to catch load after load.
Spoiler :

Celebration and success was not had everywhere. Jarl Borg, Jarl Roburr Noyyausson, Jarl Yelto, and Dagr Oleson were still waiting in anxiety. They had landed on the west side of the unknown city and sent messangers to try and negotiate with the inhabitants. Yet none came to meet them and for hours row boats waited in the middle of the river. The galleys continued eastward to see what they could find but Jarl Borg strictly instructed them to not go to far. Just incase they needed to make a hasty get away.
Spoiler :

The galleys traveled a few miles but found nothing besides barren desert coastline. They preceeded to turn around.
Spoiler :

Waiting had gotten to the Jarls. So on the orders of Jarl Borg, Jarl Yelto took his company and Dagr Oleson north. They were to continue their exploration and see if they could make contact themselves.

While traveling they entered a long field of wheat. Stalks so high that they couldn’t see the sky once they had entered. As they traveled through they began to feel uneasy and soon noticed that they were not alone. During their travel they had been followed and surrounded by a band of warriors.

Tensions grew high, the two companies drew their weapons and prepared for battle. The warriors that had surrounded were already wielding their own weapons. Jarl Yelto yelled at his men to remained calm and did his best to try and open negotiations with the other warriors. He even began to speak the language he had learned from the natives of Graent Eyan, but it was to no avail. The warriors had no desire for peace and they slowly but surely began to close in.

“Defense formations!” Commanded Jarl Yelto as the companies made a square like column. “Prepare to fight if they engage!” He yelled. Dagr Oleson followed every move Jarl Yelto made and strictly commanded his men to get in line. Even though Dagr Oleson was the appointee of Jarl Rangfridr he did still not have as much power. As well as that his band wasn’t made up of elite axman like Jarl Yelto’s company was. He only had Freyhorn regulars. So with obedience he followed Jarl Yelto’s lead.

A loud horn was sounded and the barbarians charged the line. In response the Freyhorn warriors fought back. The barbarians had surrounded them from all sides but even then they stood no chance. The more elite Freyhorn warriors hacked them down in rows and Jarl Yelto himself slaughtered several dozen. Within an hour of combat the field was filled with almost a hundred dead bodies, only a handful being Freyhorn warriors.

After the battle Jarl Yelto quickly sent a messenger back to Jarl Borg and Jarl Roburr Noyyausson who were camped about fifteen miles south.

“Natives are hostile. Just ambushed but suffered very little casualties. I tried to negotiate peace but they didn’t seem interested. We should wipe them out before they muster the strength to defend against us. What orders should I follow? Should I come back to assist you or should I press north to continue scouting.”

With that the messenger was quickly off. It looks like the Jarl of Freyhorn have yet another war on their hands.
Spoiler :

"Since I'm the one who first suggested trying to negotiate" began Jarl Roburr Noyyausson, upon hearing the messenger's report "it will be me and my Krakens who will take the battle to the natives.
Jarl Yelto and his men should continue north to see how far the fertile land extends, maybe try to get some of the natives to follow them as well.
Meanwhile Jarl Borg should move to the north of the city, keeping out of range of their Archers, but always visible, to keep the natives' attention.
Finally, during the night me and my Krakens will cross the river and catch the defenders by surprise. Tomorrow Cuman will be ours!"

Hey guys sorry I've been absent. I had a moving issue but I figured it out now. Thanks for waiting. This is not so much as a big update rather than a big informational update. You'll see what I mean at the end.​

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The company of Jarls containing: Jarl Borg, Jarl Roburr Noyyausson, Jarl Yelto, and Dagr Oleson, continue their conquest of the foreign lands they have arrived at. Most of the region, at first, appeared to be a wasteland of inhospitable desert but after a few more days of sailing they found fertile ground along a wide flowing river. Although they have not yet explored the whole of this luscious delta they have already encountered hostile natives. With Jarl Yelto and Dagr Oleson continuing northward Jarl Roburr Noyyausson and Jarl Borg have taken up the task of clearing out the first native stronghold. Just across a river from their encampment the city state of Cuman stands.

Jarl Borg made the first offensives on the city. Staying out of rang from the archers garrisoned in the city Jarl Borg took his company of several hundred hardened warriors north. Outside of the city Jarl Borg engaged a group of native warriors. The native warriors outnumbered Jarl Borg but the skill of Jarl Borg and his men was overpowering. The battle raged on for almost a day until Jarl Borg was forced to draw back. Even though him and his men had slaughtered the natives in the field they had run out of energy to continue the assault. Their numbers were too great and fearing that his men would collapsed from exhaustion Jarl Borg pulled back to attack another day.
Spoiler :

In the afternoon of the next day Jarl Borg went again. His men crossed the river and stormed up the bank crashing into enemy positions. The battle was bitter and cruel with limbs and heads being lopped and chopped off. Jarl Roburr Noyyausson, who was downriver, later mentioned that during the course of the battle the river turned red where he was camped.

On this second day of battle Jarl Borg and his men produced another slaughter. But like the day before they faced the same problems. The enemy position was to numerous so after hours of battle Jarl Borg was forced to pull back. In two days of combat he had only suffered three dozen casualties while the natives had lost hundreds.
Spoiler :

Even though Jarl Borg had still not been able to secure the northern outskirts of the city he had inflicted heavy losses on the natives. They now lacked the strength to reinforce Cuman so without hesitation Jarl Roburr Noyyausson and his Krakens launched their attack.

Crossing the river was the hardest part. Archers rained volley after volley of arrows on them killing dozens of men as they crossed. On the river bank the garrison had prepared defensive beach head like positions with large pikes piercing outward. When Jarl Roburr Noyyausson and his Krakens hit the beachhead they leapt from their boats and stormed the shoreline. The defensive barricades held out for fifteen minutes but the Jarl and his Krakens could not be stopped. They broke through the defenders and after the initial line had been shattered the garrison quickly broke down. The archers who had harassed the Freyhorn warriors were now being butchered in the streets.
Spoiler :

About an hour after Jarl Roburr Noyyausson and the Krakens had landed the city was taken. Blood filled the streets, hundreds of bodies laid lifeless, and villagers everywhere ran in terror. With the city taken Jarl Roburr Noyyausson had only one thing left to do. Either try and subjugate these barbarians who he has no ties to or cleanse the land and make way for his countrymen to come and settle this fertile ground.
Spoiler :

Back in Freyhorn a great prophet is born, St. Peters. His teachings and guidance on Confucian has opened the eyes of many. He is being called the "Son of Confucianism."
Spoiler :

In Uppsala he helps build The Kong Miao.
Spoiler :

On the other side of Freyhorn territory Jarl Hulga Vin'Kuf and her company finish off the last remnants of hostile natives. The land has been thoroughly purged and all that remains is the logistical work from Jarl Rangfridr to begin moving settlers and workers to the island. Jarl Winfel and Hulga Vin'Kuf begin for their return to Graent Eyan. With the conquest complete both the Jarls decide on calling this new territory Austor Land.
Spoiler :

To the north, beneath the glacial ice sheets our exploring galleys have found more land. Natives can be seen along the shore line so the galley continues to sail. They are unsure if this is an island of some bigger land.
Spoiler :

OOC:
Spoiler :
Here is an overview of Freyhorn territory with an outline of where all our units are.

The Freyhorn: Our original homeland.
1 worker and 2 settlers are waiting in Uppsala to immigrate to Graent Eyan. 5 warriors garrisoned in our cities.
Spoiler :

The Ocean Path Through The Glaciers
Spoiler :

The Twin Isles: Graent Eyan and Austor (East) Land.
In Graent Eyan there are: 6 workers, 2 settlers, 2 warriors, 2 archers, Jarl Rangfridr and King Ragnar. 1 great prophet as well.
In Austor Land there are: 3 warriors, 1 scout, Jarl Winfel, and Jarl Hulga Vin'Kuf.
Spoiler :

Ocean Path North to Norður Jörð where Jelling is.
Spoiler :

Norður Jörð (North Ground)
1 worker and 1 warrior.
Spoiler :

Expedition Path: The southern route the Jarls have sailed.
Spoiler :

Cuman
Jarl Borg, Jarl Yelto, Jarl Roburr Noyyausson and Dagr.
Spoiler :

A list of all our units.
Spoiler :

So with that Jarl Rangfridr (Niccolo Edwards) is tasked with figuring out what is needed to begin the settlement on Austor Land. Hopefully my IC scenes were clear with that. What your figuring out is pretty much the logistics of it all. Like how many workers, settlers, what to build and where. Since King Ragnar has now been updated and shown around the Island he will either join up with Jarl Borg and his company or lead a new expedition with Jarl Winfel and Hulga to the new lands our galleys have discovered.

As for Jarl Roburr Noyyausson (Noyyau) you're pretty much the military commander. You can either decide to keep the cities or destroy them all together for our own people to settle. As well as how to conduct the conquest. Hopefully I have given you guys enough information to make your decisions.

OOC: Cuman is in a good spot, so I'd keep it. I think there might be enough space for another city north of Cuman, though I'd need a more zoomed in screenshot to decide that ;)
Regarding our future movements, I'd circle the island of Cuman (with galleys) to determine its coastline, before moving to another landmass.

Top Bottom