The Last Rising Tide Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
It includes some of Northwest Africa, and as such is not exclusively European, like the Slavic Federation including the Asian parts of Russia.

That's a stretch.

Like saying the British Empire wasn't British because it had colonies all over the world.

That's a stretch.

Like saying the British Empire wasn't British because it had colonies all over the world.

It wasn't purely British.

It was primarily British (since most of the power...although not population) was in the British Isles, but it wasn't Purely British except in name.

(After all FrancoIberia includes territory that is neither French nor Iberian...the USA includes territory that is not geographically American)

I was talking about geographically FI and SF aren't purely European, although they are clearly primarily European.

That's one idea I like. Central Asia not controlled by PAC or the Slavic Fed. I imagine them as a Mad Max style motor gang with a bonus to the mobility of their Combat Rover units.

Alas, the last civ is aquatic.

Yeah I think it would be quite cool. And different. Silly maybe but I can live with that. I imagine a charismatic leader who fashions himself as the second coming of Genghis Khan . . . maybe they have an axe to grind (literally) over the nuclear war to their south, put into in ruins due to the politics of their neighbors and left forgotten and unaided by the rest of the world.

Haha. :D

Yeah I think it would be quite cool. And different. Silly maybe but I can live with that. I imagine a charismatic leader who fashions himself as the second coming of Genghis Khan . . . maybe they have an axe to grind (literally) over the nuclear war to their south, put into in ruins due to the politics of their neighbors and left forgotten and unaided by the rest of the world.

Haha. :D

Oh well. Maybe we can talk a modder into making it. BE could use a crazy warmonger.

Oh well. Maybe we can talk a modder into making it. BE could use a crazy warmonger.

Yeah, BE does need a super crazy warmonger that will shake things up. Ironically, I thought Brasilia was supposed to be the warmonger faction. Rising Tide does increase their fear/respect requirements to make allying with them harder. Let's hope Rising Tide also makes them more aggressive too.

I posted this a while back on a different thread.
Good guesses. because the lore says these are the second wave of explorers, I am assuming these are going to be poorer factions. I am going to go with
1)Al-Falah
2)Ocean Civ 1- Something to do with people in the pacific ocean. Polystralia was taken, but I am imagining some lore discussing how there is not enough land, so people moved to mobile platforms on the pacific.
3)New Atlantis (Ocean Civ 2)- An Atlantic version of Ocean Civ 1.
4)The moon/ asteroids (Spacers) Well, if humanity can colonize a planet light years from Earth, you should expect that humanity is mining the moon and nearby asteroids.

Other possibilities
5) A subterranean faction
6) An arctic/antarctic faction- Certainly an arctic faction would be good with water if you talk about global warming.
7) A penal colony group - much like the colonization of Austrailia.
8) Religious group escaping persecution (like the Pilgrims did)
9) Mutants. Survivors of a nuclear war who were irradiated. They would be untouchable type people. Maybe the major governments are cleaning up these areas, and these people no longer have a place to live, so they are put on a spaceship to live a new life.
10) The progenitors.
Edit- added one more idea
11) a sponsor from a different planet that was seeded. Maybe the world wasn't that hospitable, so they packed up their spaceship, and sent it to your planet.
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=548977&page=2
Obviously Ocean Civ 2 would be the North Sea Alliance. Integr, wasn't something I predicted. The space one seems cool, but they need another marine faction. As mentioned somewhere earlier on this thread, if the NSA was based on the new ocean game play, and Integr was based on Diplomacy, the other new feature is artifacts.

So I am guessing this next faction will be a Pacific Ocean based faction that gets increased bonuses from the artifact system. The Arctic / Antarctic faction would be my second guess, with the same bonuses.

What I would like to see is a sponsor from the Great Pacific Garbage Patch. They would be refugees and dissidents of various political stripes living in floating cities constructed from the debris floating in the ocean. Their talents as scroungers allows them to make the most out of artifacts that they've found. All artifacts act as if they are Pristine to them.

What I would like to see is a sponsor from the Great Pacific Garbage Patch. They would be refugees and dissidents of various political stripes living in floating cities constructed from the debris floating in the ocean. Their talents as scroungers allows them to make the most out of artifacts that they've found. All artifacts act as if they are Pristine to them.
There we go! A decent reason for a naval sponsor based around expeditions/artifacts!

It wasn't purely British.

It was primarily British (since most of the power...although not population) was in the British Isles, but it wasn't Purely British except in name.

(After all FrancoIberia includes territory that is neither French nor Iberian...the USA includes territory that is not geographically American)

I was talking about geographically FI and SF aren't purely European, although they are clearly primarily European.

Exactly, more than enough European to qualify as being a suitably representative European sponsor. No one's looking at FI and thinking "Oh yeah, those North Africans."

The same type of people Europe is attracting right now from disaster zones? Refugees?

Seems unlikely people will christen their first established colonies on an alien world based on the language of illegal migrants.

And no, the irony was not lost on me.

I predict we will learn the identity of the last new sponsor next week since this week is an XCOM2 live stream and next week will be another BERT live stream.

Exactly, more than enough European to qualify as being a suitably representative European sponsor. No one's looking at FI and thinking "Oh yeah, those North Africans."

I didn't say the other two weren't 'suitably representative' I said they weren't solely European.

I was making a point on the geographic breakdown, if you based in in where they were (FI and SF are both multicontinental) or where their power center is (FI and SF are both European...Kavitha, PAC are Asian... AlFalah and Polystralia are a bit more questionable... they might have a bit more power balance between continents)

I like it!

Just for the sake of discussion:

Is Europe more represented, or more fragmented?

I'd say both, but leaning towards fragmented. Instead of saying other areas are under-represented, I think it's more like they're there, just simply united into one huge sponsor like Brasilia being all of South America, AU being all of Africa, etc. Meanwhile Europe couldn't unite itself enough to become like those sponsors.

Either way I think the devs struck a pretty good selection. If anything, I'd just say they could of cut off part of the huge areas some sponsors represent like the aforementioned Brasilia or AU to come up with an extra sponsor or two just for the sake of variety. Something like Mexico + part of Central America or something or the "stan" countries uniting as their own thing could of been interesting.

I'd say both, but leaning towards fragmented. Instead of saying other areas are under-represented, I think it's more like they're there, just simply united into one huge sponsor like Brasilia being all of South America, AU being all of Africa, etc. Meanwhile Europe couldn't unite itself enough to become like those sponsors.

Either way I think the devs struck a pretty good selection. If anything, I'd just say they could of cut off part of the huge areas some sponsors represent like the aforementioned Brasilia or AU to come up with an extra sponsor or two just for the sake of variety. Something like Mexico + part of Central America or something or the "stan" countries uniting as their own thing could of been interesting.

Given the atmosphere of Rising Tide, I don't think it would be too much of a stretch to have emergent sponsors that came into their own after the initial sponsors underwent their first seedings.

Just for the sake of discussion:

Is Europe more represented, or more fragmented?

I already discarded showing it, but as you say, just for sake of discusión...

Regarding overrepresentation of Europe, please take also into account thies:

Albeit small in size, the European subcontinent has the characteristic that most of its land is habitable (cannot be said the same of the Americas, Africa, Asia or Australia), thus leading to that huge red blob in comparison with most other contintents .

With the exception of East China and India, that we have to recognize, could play the role of two Europe of its own, population-wise Europe is "bigger" than any other continent.

Which leads to the second comment and related to your point - the fragmentation of Europe is more "visible" than that of India and China. And while (and please excuse if some comparison is nonsense, I'm not that of an expert on this) I am not saying the difference between a Spanish and a German is greater than in example than the one from a Cantonese to a Shangaian or from someone from Kerala to someone from Delhi, the fact is that the German and Spanish present themselves to the world as different nations, while the Chinese and Indians present themselves as a single one.

This fragmentation in Europe is also clear in some main, related, but often antagonistic "cultures" (or sub-cultures) - the romano-latin-catholic-mediterranean; the germanic-protestant-centroeuropean (and also the isolationist-british)... and these are the ones that make the root for FI, INTGR and the NSA (not to say the rus-east-europeans/ortodox are way much more far away of these three - and that's the main reason you will have much poles and half of ucranians angered of being merged with Russia).

So, Neither Europe is a continuum of a single "Western civilization", neiter is so small as land size may suggest. It can be still overrepresented, I agree, but not as much as some propose.

Man this thread feels like fighting over the last bone. I wish they would have made more sponsors in this expansion, at least 6 others but 8 would have been better so we would have more regions represented and above all have more choice.
The second seeding seems to take place 80!!! years after the first one (that already takes place 100's of years in the future). When the first seeding took place the situation was dire, 80 years later it would have been even worse. In that time all the former sponsor countries could have been disbanded for all we know. The new sponsors could have been anybody. But all the 3 sponsors seem to come from not represented parts of the map.

I see people talking about Europeans and Asians as if they all speak the same language, have the same religion and the same culture and should feel represented by somebody who doesn't even speak their language (or some weird mix-fabrication of it) or hasn't any cities in those languages or any mention of them in their back story (at all).
So that gives us anybody who isn't French/Spanish/Italian in West Europe (even though we all presume Franco-Iberia includes Portugal, she doesn't speak a word in the language and none of the cities have a Portuguese name, which is weird cause there is even a Basque and Arab/Berber city-name if I remember correctly) and isn't Polish/Russian for the Slavic Federation in Middle & East Europe.
Or in East Asia and Oceania anybody who isn't Chinese/Vietnamese/Cambodian/Korean(N+S??) (She only seem to speak Chinese but at least some cities have Korean and Vietnamese names and she herself has a half Cambodian name) in the the PAC zone, or Indonesian/Malay/Australian (as far as I know not even NZ is mentioned anywhere in game) for Polystralia.
For those regions alone thats already a lot more people than the ones who get a sponsor now (without even knowing the last one).

If we go by the fact that the new sponsors seem not to be represented by the former sponsors; and if Franco-Iberia would have been for example the Pan-European Federation of Nations instead (or some other weird fabricated name) representing everybody from Iceland to Greece and Finland to Portugal, then yeah I would have agreed, that even though it would be insane that some sort of EU would hold out that long, all the Europeans were represented of sorts and there wasn't room for another European faction.
Personally I expected only one other European faction in this expansion and thought it would be some sort of union what seems to be all the NSA countries but than including Germany.
I think Firaxis went with the big nowadays (money spending) gamer countries that weren't represented yet like Britain and Germany (and probably also Japan) where these games are sold a lot too (including translations into those languages) and build sponsors around them, plus one for the most obvious missing region the Middle East. Don't forget this isn't a historical CIV game where there is a much obvious choice of civs from all over the world and we already start with all the major civs represented in the vanilla game.
Personally for the last sponsor (and more) I would like also a Japanese, Caribbean, Mexican-Middle American, SE Asian (around Thailand), South African (+ surroundings) and a Turkish-Mid Asian combo one (if it were me I even split the NSA up into a British Isles, Benelux and Scandinavia one). Even some weird Antarctic or made up Multinational Company could be cool. Unfortunately only one of them is gonna make it this time.
But I've seen people making some cool sponsors already here and in the Steam workshop. Unfortunately some projects were abandoned but hopefully the makers come back or new one come with Rising Tide.

I'm thinking September.
I'd bet you're right. Al Falah was announced in June, NSA in July, and INTEGR in August. September makes sense as it would help to fill the gap to October, when the release is.

My money is on the second week of September. But I wouldn't be surprised by the first week. I doubt it would be any later, as then you're pushing up against the release. Any earlier and you're leaving too much room between it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom