1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Layers of Hell

Discussion in 'Fall from Heaven Lore' started by Kael, Jan 17, 2009.

1. MagisterCultuum

MagisterCultuum Great Sage

I don't think he could have worked his way out of hell. He is still quite evil, and escaping hell on your own merits involves becoming good. Of course, he could also have made a deal with a devil and convinced him that he is more useful to their cause in the Netherworld. Maybe someone who is skilled at drawing souls together and binding them into weapons would also have the skill to navigate his own soul straight into the netherworld before a demon could come and collect it though.

Where is Gastrius now? Or any of Kyorlin's other unaccounted for students?

What can you tell us about the Demon Lords from the Lord of the Balors scenario? Where they all (excluding Hyborem) originally mortals, or were some created as demons to begin with, or even as angels? What gods did they serve? What gods, if any, did they choose to serve once becoming demon lords?

2. KillerClowns

KillerClowns Emperor

As to Gastrius, I recall that in Perpentach's pedia, Old Kylorin refers to having "killed Gastrius for less [than what Perpantach had done]." So, Kylorin killed him... although, exactly what happened to him after his death is a legitimate question. He may be a demonic duke by now, or just another faceless denizen of Hell, or some form of undead still wandering Erebus (like Barbatos), or hibernating in some form of phylactery waiting for some poor fool to open it, or with Laroth, either as an underling or ally...

3. Algeroth

Algeroth 8 and 1/2

I have three general questions about hell:

1) How much memory of their previous life petitioners have?
    2) I suppose that's impossible to kill someone in hell except the abilities that destroy souls. Petitioners manifestations just reassemble themselves after some time, right?
    3) Is casting magic somehow affected in the god's vault?

And I have some issues with Mulcarn vault. While other normal layers of hell (excluding Cerwiden and Esus hells) seems to focus on intensifying their respective god's sphere before petitioner is send to the deeper hell, in Mulcarn vault submitting to it's sphere means halt in his vault. Which seems weird in the well-oiled machine as hell is supposed to be, because the more effective the first layer is, the less petitioners will reach the deeper hell.

Ad Laroth: What evil deeds he done in his life (Except being Patrian archmage)? I can't remember.

4. Verdian

Verdian King

Wow, that was amazing. A few more articles like that and running a DnD campaign in Erebus will be a lot easier. :D

5. xienwolf

xienwolf Deity

6. Kael

Kael Deity

Thats very true. But the infernal hierarchy as a whole doesn't want to encourage lazy demons. Sloth may be a fine trait in a mortal, but they dont want it in the demonic hosts.

So Mulcarns domain is the storage vat of hell, the place where they stick all of the souls that arent ready. Mammon doesnt want the scattered masses of every war rushing his city. He wants them when they are ready, when they have ambition, when they can be turned into something more. Also remember that the infernals are gathering far more than they are supposed to, so many of the souls resting beneath the waters shouldnt be there.

But the true purpose of Mulcarns realm isnt to to keep people from going into the hells, but to keep them from going out. The stasis, the mountain, the swamp are all an attempt to keep anyone from escaping.

7. Deon

Deon Lt. of Mordor

Kael, you haven't answered yet, who is/are the artist(s)?

8. Mailbox

Mailbox King

What happens to those actually loyal to Mulcarn when they die who have no greater hellish ambitions? Are they put in cold storage like the army of "statues" that were animated when Mulcarn marched on Creation or do they live in some weird city or dwelling somewhere in the vault?

9. Duruk

Duruk Chieftain

Thank you!
    I think that Mulcarn's faithful would have been turned into statues, but now that Mulcarn isn't in his vault anymore I'd imagine things have gotten a bit chaotic. Maybe your ultimate fate (stature, frostling, frost-demon) is determined by how you follow Mulcarn?

10. Verdian

Verdian King

How are they managing to get more than they should? I would think the gods would be picky about that.

11. Skitters

Skitters Prince

Perhaps if someone should find their way to Ceridwen's vault, there are ways to escape the hells?

Or alternatively perhaps he was allowed to escape upon agreeing to pledge allegiance to the Evil Gods should he suceed in usurping the Death sphere?

- even if he fails to replace Arawn, it would still be a suitable destraction to help limit Arawn should He ever deem the compact irretrievably broken and give his support against Agares and co

In essence, for some individuals of note, having them go through the various Hells may not be the best use of them....

12. Nikis-Knight

Nikis-Knight Deity

Now that Mulcarn isn't there, I'd wager all his followers are simply start the march through the hells, unable to stay there for it is no longer really ruled by their master. If Auric ascends completely, and is able to travel there, I think that would change and the devoted followers of his sphere would be kept around to do his bidding specifically, frozen when not needed.

13. Psychic_Llamas

Psychic_Llamas Wizard in the Making

who exactly created the infernals then? are all these gods, Mulcar, mammon, Esus, Ceridwen Agares etc responsible for their creation or are the infernals purely the product of Agares?

14. mahazel

mahazel Warlord

Hmm, I think the answer is in Ars Moriendi (or another horseman) pedia...

15. MagisterCultuum

In a loose sense then the Infernals would refer to all the denizens of the hells. IN the game though it refers specifically to those who are plotting against Erebus and seeking to enter it directly. Hyborem is mostly directly responsible for this, but it is something that happened because Bhall's presence gave the demon lords of the lowest fell the passion to take action in Erebus again. Ther is tacit support from Agares and posibly the other evil gods too, but of the gods Bhall is the most responsible for it.

16. Seon

Seon Not An Evil Liar

Great entries! Can't wait till the layers of heaven is unleashed

17. MagisterCultuum

I don't believe that Heaven has layers. The True Heaven is cut off from all the gods, and the vaults of good gods are not connected. There is no great assembly line for turning dead mortals into angels, so it must happen more slowly in only a single vault, and produce angels whose virtues are closer to an individual god rather than good all around like the demons are evil all around.

I do think we need more info on the vaults of the good and neutral gods though. The heaven I've seen described is Junil's, and the only neutral god's vault described is Arawn's Netherworld.

18. Vernacular

Vernacular Chieftain

iirc in the begining of the Momus Falamar is in Danalin's (sp?) vault, which is simply water. It has no sky, not earth, just a current.

19. Kael

Kael Deity

Welcome to Civfanatics Vernacular!

20. Atnanor

Atnanor +2 Beer Affinity

Mmm, that makes me ask, does Fall from Heaven have Elemental Planes and Transitory Planes (Astral, Ethereal, Shadow)?