The many questions-not-worth-their-own-thread question thread XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just overthinking it. :p Carry on!

Come again?

If you would notice we are over 1000 posts. Since you made the 1000th reply, you are obliged to make the new thread.
Actually, the person who made the thousandth post gets the new thread, which means it's Flying Pig who gets the new thread.

By the way:

I don't know how.

For the same reason 'ant' comes before 'anteater'.

But unless there is something specific about "v" in this case, that is an inaccurate comparison as in your example the term ends where both continue here. If the "v" is treated normally the correct alphabetical order would be.

George H....
George v....

However both would follow "George" as in your "ant" vs "ant eater" example

I was told that Supreme Court cases were ordered by the name of the petitioner, so e.g. Josephs v. US would come before Josephson v. Adams, since many cases are referred to by just the petitioner, e.g. Brown, Plessy, Gideon, etc.

I don't know if this stylistic norm is the same in Australia.

We await Flying Pig starting Thread 19 then. :)

Oooo!

I was told that Supreme Court cases were ordered by the name of the petitioner, so e.g. Josephs v. US would come before Josephson v. Adams, since many cases are referred to by just the petitioner, e.g. Brown, Plessy, Gideon, etc.

I don't know if this stylistic norm is the same in Australia.

Now that is an explanation.

I don't know any treatment of them, but your previous "explanation" made no sense because you ignored the operative part, that only the first name is considered. Which I assumed was what the original question was entirely about.

Yeah, that probably makes sense. The Australian Guide to Legal Citation is 320 pages long and doesn't say anything about it, though, which is annoying for something supposedly comprehensive. I guess you'd only go by the defendants/respondents when the plaintiffs/appellants are identical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom