The Native American Civilization has been destroyed!!!

humppa

Chieftain
First Civilization-game in two months, haven't played that much since last patch. Difficulty level is Prince, map type Fractal. 2200 BC this happens.

:eek::eek: Don't remember I would've ever seen a civilization die this early and I assume it is by a different civilization since Barbarians don't storm in this early at this difficulty level. Just wondering if it's anywhere near common or has it been added at some point so that cpu's declare war this early because I don't think I've ever seen it to happen.

I think you can get a Barb Event this early, I recall my very very first game of BTS ever, I think it was Noble, I got the Barb Event and even knew where they were coming from, because they killed my closest neighbor first, and STILL got me!

I started very late playing this game, well after the release of BTS, but I only had Vanilla, so I had been reading about such things and was very excited to play, only to be 0-1 within half an hour of installing the game, LOL.

These events distort the game.

I play huge maps with 11 civs. If one is wiped out by barbs I find another Ai expands 50% more than they would of. Land can be key. Difference between 10 to 17 cities can be huge.

Didn't they fix the barb events with 3.17?

Didn't they fix the barb events with 3.17?

No. They changed it so that the event can only be triggered if the "target" civ has access to a counter unit. But once the barbs are placed they're free to roam around and attack another civ that doesn't have access to a counter.

Also for some bizarre reason Firaxis decided that the number of barb units that spawn should be dependent on map size. On huge maps you get a stack of 6 barbs when the event hits. :eek: Even with access to the counter unit no civ can survive that.

I remember around this time on a Terra map, back in Vanilla, Somebody destroyed Hatsepshut at 1800-ish BC and I was just shocked.

Sometimes the AI can get feisty, if a Monty, Toku, or Shaka is involved.

I like these events because they throw a monkey wrench in my carefully laid-out plans. Suddenly unclaimed land, lightly defended cities, trying to beat the other scavengers to the prize all while dealing with possible attacks on my home territory...

so what if they make some games unwinnable, I'm usually having fun with them. And having them only happen to AIs would feel very artificial.

There is a fine line, though. Carried to the extreme, as it seems to be occasionally, it just breaks the game. Might as well have a nuclear apocalypse event where there is a chance that barb nukes will hit every city of yours in the late game without anything you can do to stop it.

These events distort the game.

I play huge maps with 11 civs. If one is wiped out by barbs I find another Ai expands 50% more than they would of. Land can be key. Difference between 10 to 17 cities can be huge.

wow really? thats really little, if i play a huge map i have like 15-18 civs...

I played a game where Pacal was on an island to the south of my island, traversable by galleys. He founded Budhism, Judiasm, and Christianity, then was wiped out by barbs. They owned the whole mini-continent the whole game with those shrine cities and launched amphibious assaults on me :mad:. I just wasn't able to get to it with my bad island economy and the other continent was all Taoism buddies who took turns attacking me later.

One thing I love about the barbarians [and, to a lesser extent, the AI] is that they'll keep their hands on useless uber-outdated units. On a Terra map there had been so much infighting on the Old World that nobody really colonized the New World, so by the time I got there I landed a few grenadiers, a settler and a worker. First thing I see is a Barbarian Warrior. Ha. So I press northeast a little with one of my grenadiers and find that the barbarians actually have a Size 14 city with cannons and riflemen, which they promptly flexed in decent stacks.

Terrifying. I decided that my neighbor back home was a more worthy target.

I love all those events ! they make the game much more unpredictable.

But they force you to play one difficulty level below your real level if you still want to feel confortable in worst case scenario.
the barbarian event does not affect me much anymore : I always have some hammers invested in a unit early in the game, so I just have to whip some pop.

strange thing with those barbarians from events : they seem to choose a target (somewhere far away on the map) and go for it at all cost. One of my last game I saw 5 spearmen (they did appear on my border but never came inside my terrtory) going for an AI capital, I followed them, declared war on the AI and killed the last few hurted defenders :D

Cut Chemist, eh?

I played an Archipelago map once with Chali 2na. ;)

If it were a Barb event that wiped out the Native Americans, then there would have been news of a massive barbarian uprising a few turns earlier. So, if you actaully want a better idea of what happened, check the event log. 2200BC is pretty early for another civ to start a war, but there are a couple nutjobs who might have gone ahead and done that.

Heh heh, gotta love those crazy barbs.
I've never seen them go so far as to get riflemen though, would love to see that. ^^

Terra maps are a pretty good place to go. They get their own civilization all up and running, with roads connecting their cities and everything! :p

This isn't necessarily an uprising doing it, either... I've seen early destruction of AIs by normal barbarians. In fact, I had it happen to me once:

Capital city is your only city, and is producing first settler. You teched archery, because you're sharing a border with someone with a resourceless UU (or because you're an AI and start with it), and you have two archers defending your capital. Your worker is chopping forest 1 tiles north of your capital. Barbarian archer appears outside your borders, then moves in to threaten your worker and capital. You move your second archer into the forested tile to defend your worker, because one has cultural defense bonus, the other has 50% forest defense bonus, and your worker is 1 turn away from finishing a chop. Barb archer attacks your capital at 0.8% odds. Barb archer takes your capital, because the RNG is a cruel and vindictive master. Game over.

Hey, it could happen. The AI regularly tries to trade me sheep for iron; no reason it wouldn't try to live the dream with capital defense.

One thing I love about the barbarians [and, to a lesser extent, the AI] is that they'll keep their hands on useless uber-outdated units. On a Terra map there had been so much infighting on the Old World that nobody really colonized the New World, so by the time I got there I landed a few grenadiers, a settler and a worker. First thing I see is a Barbarian Warrior. Ha. So I press northeast a little with one of my grenadiers and find that the barbarians actually have a Size 14 city with cannons and riflemen, which they promptly flexed in decent stacks.

Terrifying. I decided that my neighbor back home was a more worthy target.

Grenadier to worker: GET IN THE BOAT! GET IN THE BOAT! WE GOTTA GO! GET IN THE BOAT! lol :lol:

Top Bottom