The Netherlands - new playable civ!

Roetghoer said:
WOW, what school did you go to? :mischief:

Het stedlijk gymnasium leiden en van plan om naar de tu delft of zoiets te gaan, because you are so interested

One thingelse, I last read a very funny article about why you should be dutch I think it would stand funny here

Top 9 reasons for beining Dutch

1You can get arrested for growing plants, not for smoking them.

2You can make jokes about the Belgians but still drink there beer.

3You can legally kill yourself

4You can legally be killed

5You think you are a world power, but everyone else thinks Copenhagen is your capital...

6You get to insult people and defend yourself by saying it is a national tradition

7You can put your finger in a dyke and it will save your country

8You live in he most densely populated country in Europe, and still you've never seen your neighbours

9If the economy is bad, blame the Germans. If a war get started, blame the Germans. If you lose your keys, blame the Germans

I don't mean anything offensive with this it's just a joke, i have nothing against Germans or others, if somebody realy don't likes it,i will remove it.

I appreciate the humor in this thread. But, can someone please help me to successfully load this Civ? First these were the directions I was given. This did not work. Then I was told to unzip the file into the Mods Folder within Program files/Civ IV.

When I place it here I can see it under Load MOd. But when I do it stated it needs to re-start the game. After it restarts, I can NOT find the Civ to load and play or select as an AI player. How do I tkae this final step and actually play with the Netherlands?

Thank you.

Reagan1984 said:
I just tried this without any luck.

Here's what I've done. Let me know what I'm doing wring.
1) I downloaded version 1.06 to my desk top. (the Zip file icon is there)
2) I open a window for My Docs/My Games/CivIV/Mods
3) I open the zip file
4) I select all files and drag into the open window listed above
5) I say "YES" when it states that there are two files with the same name and asks if I want to replace it.
6) I close this window.
7) I press and HOLD the SHIFT button while opening CIV IV.
8) I go to Advanced
9) I go to Load Mod and the Netherlands is not listed.

There are several options including, Desert, American Revolution, Greek... and "NONE" but no Netherlands.

Can someone please help me here.

:confused:

Reagan1984 said:
I appreciate the humor in this thread. But, can someone please help me to successfully load this Civ? First these were the directions I was given. This did not work. Then I was told to unzip the file into the Mods Folder within Program files/Civ IV.

When I place it here I can see it under Load MOd. But when I do it stated it needs to re-start the game. After it restarts, I can NOT find the Civ to load and play or select as an AI player. How do I tkae this final step and actually play with the Netherlands?

Thank you.
I had and have(with some other mods) excatly the same problem, for this mod it worked for me when I downloaded the version that needed to be installed. I installed it and then it worked.

anjf said:
I had and have(with some other mods) excatly the same problem, for this mod it worked for me when I downloaded the version that needed to be installed. I installed it and then it worked.

Are there different versions to download? (and I don't mean older versions) I downloaded 1.06 as highlighted as the current version.

Where did you install it? And what do you specifically mean by install? Didn't you just unzip into a folder? Where is that folder?

And finally was the CIV leader one you could choose to play with like any of the others?

Thanks. We are getting close

GB

Reagan1984 said:
Thank you. But, what is supposed to happen after the "consequential Re-Start?" It just goes back to the main menu.
What do I do to actually start the game? I can't actually find a place to select this Civ as the one I want to play.

The game simply restarts after you select a mod, and then the stuff that got changed/added in the mod can be played with. That's all.

Reagan1984 said:
To clarify your on your other point, I'd like the Netherlands (as well as other Civs in this area) to be available just like the ones that came with the game. Is that an option?

It is possible. This Sumerian civ creator I already mentioned made a version which loads up in the main game. Check on his thread and files to see how he did it.

Reagan1984 said:
Are there different versions to download? (and I don't mean older versions) I downloaded 1.06 as highlighted as the current version.

Where did you install it? And what do you specifically mean by install? Didn't you just unzip into a folder? Where is that folder?

And finally was the CIV leader one you could choose to play with like any of the others?

Thanks. We are getting close

GB

I downloaded the .exe version then you will get a file called 'NLforCiv4.exe, I put it in the mods folder. Then go via my computer to that folder and press the NLforCiv4.exe icon, it looks like a cd-rom drive with a red arrow above it. This will start an instalation prosedure continue throw it and instal it. Then a folder with a name(i forgot it) will apear in the mods folder. Rename that folder the same as the .ini file inside it and when I did all that I was able to play with it(only the flag was black, but i don't know how to fix that).
I hope it will work for you:) :)

The leaders of the Dutch are just like any other leaders accept they aren't animated.

it just doesnt show nicely, leaders are fudgingg pink! No pic, just pinkness, the rest shows up as blablabla_blablabla_blablabla_ etc, really annoying. The vaandel is black, looks like bleeding barbs,(ok, we Dutch are some form of Barbarians, but still).
Dunno, doesnt go well in the brain..

G.

I was wondering...why not use the 'geus' (don't know the english word for it) instead of these stupid swiss mercenaries as a special unit?
The geus is much typical dutch then whatever unit you can think of.

sassoundwave said:
I was wondering...why not use the 'geus' (don't know the english word for it) instead of these stupid swiss mercenaries as a special unit?

Possible. Although I think the Swiss isn't a bad choise.
What would you prepose to be the stats for the geus?
Personaly I prefere some kind of marine as the Dutch uu since the marine is a Dutch invention.:)

anjf said:
Possible. Although I think the Swiss isn't a bad choise.
What would you prepose to be the stats for the geus?
Personaly I prefere some kind of marine as the Dutch uu since the marine is a Dutch invention.:)
Yes, a Renaissance Marine unit should do well as a special unit for the Dutch.

sassoundwave said:

I know about the Dutch UU having been discussed in the civ3 forums as well. Back than I too suggested to replace the swiss mercenary by the "Geuzen" (Semi-aristocratic rebels, first to defeat the Spanish and take a city), which would make excellent (and historically correct) marine-like units. I'm totaly in favor of this idea. I would suggest a riflement with decreased strength (they waren't that good fighters), Amphibious promotion, 25% bonus versus melee.

The Fokker G.1! They have to be in (At least as a flavor unit with no advantage to add more diversity)! I can make a model when the plugin is released.

nrseven said:
I second that: anyone up for making a worshippers of Bel-civ? :p
but... I don't really see how it should be done, since we're just a variety of races who raped our great-grand-mothers ;)
The guys living in our region were probably all killed by Romans (although I'm not sure), but leaders could be Vercingetorix or Ambiorix.
I don't know much about history though, and have no idea how Belgium was founded like it is now. I find it odd that we're a land on our own...

AlCosta15 is making a Belgian civ :beer: in his 65-civ mod.

Belgium in it's current form was founded after the southern ten (except the G.D. Luxembourg) of the seventeen united provinces blamed the dutch rule for the economic crisis in the south. Revolution broke out in Brussels after the opera play 'De stomme van Portici' and spread like wildfire.

Belgium had a significant role in history, having quite a big colony in the Congo, and stopping the Germans :goodjob: at the river Yser in WWI
And before, the region now known as Belgium has played a key role in history on several occasions, and was very prosperous thanks to textile industry in the north (Flanders), and mining and metal industry in the south.

By the way, correctin some mistakes in previous posts, the first king was :king: Leopold I (from Saxe-Coburg), and the one responible for the colonies and wealth coming from them, was his son :king: Leopold II.

So much for today's history lesson! ;)

Peter Deprez said:

Thats great, I need flags for my WWI mod!

Peter Deprez said:
Belgium had a significant role in history, having quite a big colony in the Congo, and stopping the Germans :goodjob: at the river Yser in WWI
And before, the region now known as Belgium has played a key role in history on several occasions, and was very prosperous thanks to textile industry in the north (Flanders), and mining and metal industry in the south.

I agree with you that Belgium had some influence in history, but I think you have to make a difference between Belgium and Flandres (like there is a difference between Roman Italy and the kingdom/republic of Italy). I would rather see Flanders as a new civilization than Belgium, for Belgium itself (since the their independence from the netherlands) didn't have a lot of influence on history, despite their colony of Congo. The stopping of the Germans at Yser was only possible with the help of the French, the Belgiums couldn't have done this all by there selfs. I think Flandres would make a far better civilization for it was the region in northen Europe where the Renaissance started, very important wool-processing industry and so on.

Don't forget that the name Belgium was aleady used in the Roman time. Julius Caesar stated that the Belgae were the bravest of all Gauls. We just were a little late to become independent. I don't think Flanders would qualify as a civ, since it has never been independent (although I hope it will be some day). Even tough ist has been one of the most prosperous counties in the world for over a millennium. (Hey, it's not because I'm not Dutch that I can't be chauvinist here :) )

Peter Deprez said:
Don't forget that the name Belgium was aleady used in the Roman time. Julius Caesar stated that the Belgae were the bravest of all Gauls. We just were a little late to become independent. I don't think Flanders would qualify as a civ, since it has never been independent (although I hope it will be some day). Even tough ist has been one of the most prosperous counties in the world for over a millennium. (Hey, it's not because I'm not Dutch that I can't be chauvinist here :) )

Don't forget that quarter of a century or so independence after 1302. ;)

After the heroic Battle of the Golden Spurs (Guldensporenslag, July 11th 1302), Flanders was independent for two years. After the stalemate battle of Pevelenberg in 1304, Flanders was forced to rejoin the French empire. They had an extended form of autonomy, but they were subject to French rule.

Anyway, be it 2 years or 25, it still doesn't qualify for me te be a full-worth civilization.

Top Bottom