The new infraction system explained

There is only so far some of us are willing to dial back on posting style before abandoning posting or accepting the bans that come for not further dialing back.

If others were forced to dial back more, would you be willing to dial back more?

Other than ad-spamming, what can you POSSIBLY do on here that would warrant permanent exile.

Be a PITA for everyone on the forum

Why should we not give people second-chances?

A second chance is fine.. but a seventh or eight? There should be the real threat of being perma banned.

JR is FUNNY though. If he dialled back it would be /meh.

Actually, this is aimed at ELIMINATING rulebreaking, not merely at reducing it. This is where I think the aim is off, because IT WON'T HAPPEN.

The only way to accomplish what they want to accomplish would be to ban 2/3rds of the regular posters. Which THUNDERFALL (Note, not Ainwood, Turner, Shane, or any other moderator who has posted in this thread) would have every right to do, but would ultimately be detrimental.

Because personally, I'm not seeing the purpose of this. If it doesn't ruin the forum, leave it alone. Why do we bother with the strict modding we have? Deal with trolling and flaming, leave the minor stuff alone. Or at least don't try too hard to deal with it (I'd prefer the latter since there's a point when it gets ridiculous but it usually isn't.

Being a PITA

What does this stand for?

But that is largely true because they knew at the time that they could do so without consequences. Would they have behaved the same had they faced real consequences for doing so? I don't believe so.

There is only so far some of us are willing to dial back on posting style before abandoning posting or accepting the bans that come for not further dialing back.

This is my point really. I'm genuinely curious about how the moderators would plan to deal with such cases under a system that involves automatic permabans. If the consequences are greater, then sure, a lot of people will be more careful, but if those chronic rule breakers that are a net positive for the forums still chronically break the rules and move towards a permanent absence, how is that reconciled with the good of the forum?

Because personally, I'm not seeing the purpose of this. If it doesn't ruin the forum, leave it alone. Why do we bother with the strict modding we have?

The whole point of the rules & infraction system review was, I think, to counteract behaviour that was or is ruining the forum.

Actually, this is aimed at ELIMINATING rulebreaking, not merely at reducing it. This is where I think the aim is off, because IT WON'T HAPPEN.

No, it isn't

The only way to accomplish what they want to accomplish would be to ban 2/3rds of the regular posters. Which THUNDERFALL (Note, not Ainwood, Turner, Shane, or any other moderator who has posted in this thread) would have every right to do, but would ultimately be detrimental.

2/3rds is way off. Personally they would only have to ban about 10 posters to seriously improve the forum. An Thunderfall has bestowed the power to others, its called delegation.

Because personally, I'm not seeing the purpose of this. If it doesn't ruin the forum, leave it alone. Why do we bother with the strict modding we have? Deal with trolling and flaming, leave the minor stuff alone. Or at least don't try too hard to deal with it (I'd prefer the latter since there's a point when it gets ridiculous but it usually isn't.

Several posters DO ruin the forum for me, by their style of posting. They arn't flaming me, they arn't trolling me. They are just ruining the forum.

What does this stand for?

Pain in the Ass.

The new proposal is going to end up with a lot of fairly normal posters banned for a while though. Is that a good price to pay for permabanning the 10 problem makers?

If others were forced to dial back more, would you be willing to dial back more?
I have already dialed back as far as I'm going to go. I suppose if others were forced to dial back, the targets of my barbs would diminish, but I don't really see this happening. Someone posts something that presents an opportuinity, I take a swipe, they swipe back, and it escalates. Perhaps the solution would be to give a temp ban to anyone I take a swipe at to nip the escalation in the bud.
This is my point really. I'm genuinely curious about how the moderators would plan to deal with such cases under a system that involves automatic permabans. If the consequences are greater, then sure, a lot of people will be more careful, but if those chronic rule breakers that are a net positive for the forums still chronically break the rules and move towards a permanent absence, how is that reconciled with the good of the forum?
You lose something even if every problem child becomes more careful. I am pretty bad at guessing which of my posts will eventually get infracted and I am sure I am not alone(I agree with the volume of the infractions I have received, but disagree on which of my posts should have been infracted). If we all decide to post very carefully, then a lot of the entertainment value of the forum is lost. Nothing is more entertaining to me than to see a rightie land a good counterpunch on me from time to time. I would hate to see this go away because of an overly punitive infraction system.

None of us are so naive as to believe that we can eliminate rule breaking. The goal is greater civility.

The only way to accomplish what they want to accomplish would be to ban 2/3rds of the regular posters.
Don't be silly. If I had to guess, I would say that less than 36 posters create 90% of the problems we have (excluding ad bots of course).

The purpose of all the rules is to create a a place where members can gather and discuss things that interest them in a civil manner. Dom, keep in mind that no single post will ruin the forums. It is the accumulation of bad posts that first ruins discussions and then subforums and finally the forum itself.

The forums as a whole are more important than any one individual and when a poster becomes too much of a liability, they are sacrificed without remorse. It is a tightrope between order and chaos while trying to focus on the fun. There are no easy solutions and what worked yesterday may not work today or tomorrow. There are many other places you can go that have less rules and you can post away to your heart's content without fear of being infracted or banned. Why don't you go to such a place? What keeps you here? Whenyou answer that, you'll know why do what we do as moderators.

Mods should be moderating (which they do very well in general) and not dealing with paperwork.
Paperwork is an integral part of moderating.

Also, question to the moderating team: I've seen several comments from Ainwood, and LOTS of comments from the mods, but I haven't seen TF himself comment EVEN ONCE on this. I'm curious, does he even know about it, and has he approved it? Or is he just not on enough to care about what the mod team does with the ruleset?
This is more than a bit presumptuous. Just because Thunderfall trusts his chosen Admins to oversee the forum, that doesn't mean he himself has no interest in what's going on. Of course I can't know what gets discussed in the Admin forum, but I am confident that Thunderfall is very much aware of what is going on. As to whether or not he chooses to post in this thread, that's up to him. If he thinks it's necessary to do so, he will.

I have already dialed back as far as I'm going to go. I suppose if others were forced to dial back, the targets of my barbs would diminish, but I don't really see this happening. Someone posts something that presents an opportuinity, I take a swipe, they swipe back, and it escalates. Perhaps the solution would be to give a temp ban to anyone I take a swipe at to nip the escalation in the bud.
How about you just don't swipe in the first place? That would be the logical place to "nip the escalation in the bud" - if an argument doesn't start, there's no need to finish it. :huh:

Dom, keep in mind that no single post will ruin the forums. It is the accumulation of bad posts that first ruins discussions and then subforums and finally the forum itself.

This is my point. Personally, I don't see five infractions for spam on a period of a year as being disruptive enough to warrant a ban. But that's just me.

Personally I'd focus more effort on dealing with REAL problems, such as trolling or flaming. That's all I'm trying to say.

@Valka- I don't think you understand what I was trying to convey with that post. It would take a bit of explanation, which I don't feel like doing at 1AM. I'll do it tomorrow. technically later today.

Personally I'd focus more effort on dealing with REAL problems, such as trolling or flaming. That's all I'm trying to say.

Wow I never thought I'd agree with Domination. But here I do. I dont mind the occasional spam post. Its the troll/flame and the quoting each sentence separately that gets to me

Oh my gosh... sometimes I wish everyone could see some of the archives in the mod area. Believe me, there are much worse things people have done than ad spamming, and there are plenty of occasions where permanent bans are the only possible resolution.
If you need someone to make a Dante-esque traversal through the various mod forums, I'm up for it.

Delete OT, cut down server bills, remove 90% of the infraction lawyers.

:yup:

Ot doesn't seem to have a valid reason for existing imo. Most quality posters have left it by now. It hardly has anything to do with the rest of CFC, and this makes it easier for trolls to appear, since they have no bonds to the community either as mod-makers or public of a game.

:yup:

Ot doesn't seem to have a valid reason for existing imo. Most quality posters have left it by now. It hardly has anything to do with the rest of CFC, and this makes it easier for trolls to appear, since they have no bonds to the community either as mod-makers or public of a game.

Are you serious? :dubious:

Top Bottom