The New World Mod

Sword_Of_Geddon

Arbiter of the Sword
So I've decided to come back to Civ3 modding in order to create a meaningful Native American mod, ironically the project which(along with R8xft and Unexisted) first got me into Civilization to begin with.

I'm not thinking anything too complicated at the moment, I just thought I'd give a rough outline of what I have in mind so far.

Premise: The Mod will focus on New World civilizations exclusively. It will begin around 1000 AD and end around 1880.

Civilizations:

Culture Group: North American

Iroquois: A highly aggressive and expansionist people, the Iroquois fought many successful wars against other tribes, and later, against the French. The Iroquois formed a confederacy of different tribes united by a common law and federalist principles. Their constitution and ideas on government would later heavily inspire Benjamin Franklin and in turn the creation of the structure of the United States government.

Haida: Known today sometimes as the vikings of north america, the Haida, from the pacific north west had a sophisicated society and were unrivaled in canoe-building. They mined and smithed copper ore, and were one of the few Pre-columbian native peoples to wear metal armor. They may have raided all the way to the southern tip of California, putting them in contact with all the tribes who lived along the pacific coast.

Navajo: The Navajo were a large tribe of hunter-gatherers who migrated to the Southwestern region of North America from what is today Canada. They would later become a semi-nomadic people, and fierce enemies of the Anasasi. The Navajo much later would be known for helping the United States defeat the Nazis in World War 2.

Anasasi: Another culture from the American southwest. The Pueblos are an ancient people and culture that built a long-lasting civilization.

Culture Group: Mesoamerican(North American)

Cherokee: A descendant of the Mississippian culture of mound builders, the Cherokee lived in the South-Eastern part of what is today the United States. They were at first a agricultural society with a government structured around a racial priesthood. Later the Cherokee became one of the strongest, most advanced tribes in North America, despite hardships at the hands of the Americans, the Cherokee today are one of the most successful native peoples.

Choctaw: Another tribe representing the legacy of the Cahokia, the Choctaw developed into one of the "five civilized tribes", and adopted many of the customs of the United States of the time. Like the Iroquois many sub-tribes of Choctaw entered into alliance with different European powers.

Hohokam: A people related to the civilizations of Mexico, the Hohokam lived from 200-1450 AD in the deserts of the American southwest. Like their mexican cousins the Hohokam built extensive canals and irrigation. They also played the ball game. Their religion is believed to be much more peaceful in nature than peoples such as the Toltecs.

Culture Group: Mesoamerican(Mexico/Yucatan)

Toltecs: The Toltecs built an empire that filled the void left by the destroyed Teotihuacáno. Their society was more violent than their predessor, but created a great mystique that later cultures in the region tried to emulate. The Toltecs colonized and took over the Mayan city of Chichen Itza, spreading their artitecture into the region. The Toltecs created the military system later used by the Aztecs(Coyote, Eagle and Jaguar Warriors).

Mexica(Aztecs): The Mexica come from an area north of Mexico, but migrated southwards sometime in the 12th century. The Mexica are a highly spritual people with a belief in their destiny for greatness. Can they overthrow the existing empires of Mesoamerica and establish their own? Time will tell.

Huastecs: The Huastecs were another civilization in central america that managed to remain independent from the empires that sought to conquer them. They were admired for their abilities as musicians by other Mesoamerican peoples.

Totonac: The Totonacs were a civilization that existed in what is today Veracruz. They were highly into the ball-game played threwout the region, often taking it to a near obsessive level. Later the Totonacs would play a major role in the defeat of the Aztecs when they assisted Cortez in his conquest of the hated empire. The Totonacs may have been descendants of the Olmecs, and relatives of the Mayans.

Zapotecs: The Zapotecs built one of the first empires in central america, and managed to defend a small but strong area for years. They were eventually conquered by the Spanish a few years after the Aztecs had fallen, but continued to resist Spanish rule for centuries afterwards.

Mayans: The Mayan city states had declined by the time this mod begins, but they will have a place in the mod. Many Mayan cities had fallen, but some still thrived, such as Chichen Itza.

Culture Group: Andean

Kingdom of Chan-Chan/Chimu: The Chimu controled the Andean Kingdom of Chan-Chan in South America. The Chimu had a complex heirarchy which governed their territory, with the Chimu king at the zenith. The Chimu were desert dwellers, who viewed the sun as a destroyer. Thus they took to worshiping the moon. This put them at stark contrast with their enemies, the Incans, who conquered the Chimu later.

Nazca: The Nazca were a peaceful civilization in Peru. Unlike other civilizations in the region, the Nazca made their monuments on the Earth itself. To this day the Nasca lines awe and inspire.

Kingdom of Cusco/Inca: What eventually became the Incan Empire started out as the city state of Cusco, a monarchy whose kings claimed descendence from the sun itself. Playing as Cusco in this mod means you are dedicated to conquering the other peoples of the Andes and establishing the Incan Empire yourself.

American(Other):

Arawak: The peaceful sea-faring Arawak were the first people Europeans discovered in the New World. The Arawak were a kind people and welcomed Columbus and his expedition with open arms. Their hospitality was rewarded with exploitation and death later. The Arawak invented the game of Lacrosse as well as the process of barbequing food.

Caribs: The Caribs were an aggressive group of tribes that practiced canibalism and would often hunt the peaceful Arawaks for food. They put up fierce resistance when the Spanish attempted to colonize Cuba, but were eventually defeated and enslaved by the Spanish.

Tupi: The Tupi are the native inhabitants of Brazil. The Tupi tribes lived in the rain forest and were highly aggressive. Like the Caribs the Tupi were cannibalistic. When the Portuguese colonized Brazil the Tupi put up fierce resistance. Eventually after a series of wars, the Portuguese managed to defeat the Tupi, who retreated further into the amazon.

Polynesian:

Hawaiians: The Hawaiians are the Polynesian residents of the Hawaiian islands. For centuries the island chain consisted of several independent kingdoms which warred with each other for control of the island chain. Later King Kamehameha I managed to unite the islands. Later white mercents and others exploited the native population and deposed the monarch in favor of a puppet republic. After a native uprising the Queen was restored to power, but later for the good of her people decided to make Hawaii a part of the United States.

Rapa Nui: Also known as "Easter Island" and famous for its many stone heads, Rapa Nui was home to a group of polynesian tribes. After deforesting the island centuries ago, war overtook the island. War together with famine drastically reduced the population. The Rapa Nuins may have traded with the Incans, due to the similarity between Rapa Nui and Incan stonework. It was found that a typical polynesian vessel is indeed capable of making the journey from Rapa Nui to South America.

Features:

-20 unique Native American civilizations
-New Wonders and Buildings
-New Four-Era Tech Tree: Master the Classic, Post-Classic, Post-Columbian and European eras.
-New Minor Civilization system: Location of minor civ resources will allow you to build a specific embassy for that civilization. This will allow you to build special units.
-European Allegiance: Fight European influence, or choose to westernize your Empire, allowing you to build sophisticated European buildings and units. Some civilizations are more slanted towards westernization, such as the Cherokee for example.
-European Mercanaries: Similar to the Minor Civilizations, many European powers offer soldiers for hire if your willing to pay the right price: Recruit British, French, Dutch and others to give you an edge over other empires.

It's good to see you still modding, Sword. I'm excited about your project. :)

Hey guys thanks for the kind words :)

Good to see you still around Red.

What are everyone's thoughts on China or Japan being colonial powers in this mod(meaning it is possible to build Chinese or Japanese embassies and train their respective mercanary units). China and Japan both could have colonized the new world before/during Europeans arrived from what I've read. It was only circumstances that prevented this from happening.

Hey guys thanks for the kind words :)

Good to see you still around Red.

What are everyone's thoughts on China or Japan being colonial powers in this mod(meaning it is possible to build Chinese or Japanese embassies and train their respective mercanary units). China and Japan both could have colonized the new world before/during Europeans arrived from what I've read. It was only circumstances that prevented this from happening.

I saw a program where someone thought they had proof the there was a Chinese settlement in Nova Scotia, no one believes him, but it did look like he found the base/foundations of several buildings that where laid out in typical Chinese pattern.

I also heard somewhere that there was evidence that the Chinese may have made it to Brazil.

Apparantly the Chinese had a massive fleet with ships that where so big that all of Columbus' boats could have be put in the hold of one ship.

That's all still conjectural at this time, though it is quite evident that Ming Dynasty China's naval technology was advanced enough to have traveled that far. If I recall correctly, some Native American tribes did have folktales that seem to describe East Asian seafarers arriving in North America. Also some claim that a particular Ming Dynasty map shows the outline of the west coast of North America on the opposite side of the Pacific. Interesting stuff, but there's still no definite proof to say. Even if the Chinese did make it to North America, they had no political incentive whatsoever to establish colonies overseas since the Ming Dynasty at that time was very stable, very wealthy, and resource-rich (a stark contrast from the time Europeans were sending out maritime expeditions).

the Pacific North West share similar cultural traits with the Ainu. Both prefer the same color schemes and they both have totem poles. The Pacific North West Indians were also some of the first to use iron for warfare, and I've seen a sword that looks extremely similar to an Ainu sword (but it may have been done by a more modern Haida artist inspired by Ainu, I didn't see a date on it).

And I've also heard something about the Zuni possibly being from Heian Buddhist missionaries. Something about the similarities in the religion and because their language is isolated and shares similar grammar to Japanese. But that's harder to believe.

In my opinion, this mod should focus on the Indians, and maybe only at the very end of the game allow for techs that give European, or Asian mercenaries.

The treasure fleet I believe is what your talking about. They were the largest ships at sea until the 20th century. So I guess having China have a new world presence isn't all that unfeasable.

Google, "Zheng He." As my gf & I are now cohabitating, I'm separated from much of my library, but there was at least one recent book quite convincingly suggesting that he almost certainly reached the Americas.

Also, how about giving the Vikings a shot? Historically, their New World knowledge wasn't shared with other European civs. Viking / Iroquois conflict might be quite entertaining.

Just a thought ...

... And good to have you back, Swoggy :D

All The Best,

Oz

What I'm thinking of(as Shiro suggested) is a very focused mod about the Indian civilizations. Later in the mod's timeframe I'd like to add the old world aspect, which includes European/Asian mercanaries and technologies.

The vikings is a good idea though Ozy. Perhaps they could appear as a very early embassy civilization, where you could recruit Viking warriors or longboats if your tribe is near a Viking colony.

On another note Shiro I always wondered about the great similarities in artwork between the Haida and what I've seen of the Ainu. It is quite possible that the Haida and Ainu have a common ancestor. In any case the Haida will be a major player in this mod, with sea raiding as a big part of their early economy.

Ill add the following to the first post for additional information:

Eras:

-Classic Period: A basic early period in civilization development. The period with major cultural development, irrigation, and city building. Stone and Obsidian are the strongest materials in this age.

-Post-Classic: Further development of Native Civilization. Extensive road building, trade, early metal-working as well as wonders charactarize this era. For some civilizations copper-working begins.

-Post-Columbian: The period following European discovery of the New World. This era represents a great period of change for Native Civilizations. You will be given the option of forming allainces with Old World civilizations including Spain, Portugal, England, France, the Dutch, China, or Japan. As this era moves along your civilization will gain increased access to Old World weapons and technology. By the end of this period you will be given the option to "Modernize", which will put your civilization on the path to becoming a state on par with the Old world powers.

-Post-Colonization: This period is the last in the mod. The conflict between Native tradition and modernism is the theme of this period. For the first part of this age your strongest units will be mercanaries, but if you can make it far enough, you will be able to train a professional army capable of matching any in the old world. Finally the industrial revolution, which begins in the Old World, will present you will new choices. You can ignore Industrial revolution, or embrace it, allowing you to build railroads and factories.

I really think its possible, the Ainu were from northern Japan, but they set up trade sites across the Siberian coast and even to China. And from Kamchatka I dont think it is too far to North America. But I don't know much about it.

Hey Sword, good luck with this! :)

Its good to see you and RedAlert are still around :)
maybe I'll do the same and resume work on my own mod with some changes I've been thinking about.

I would love to see a new mod from SOG, and this one especially seems interesting... Are you planning on having a map?

I would love to see the Kumeyaay represented, as I do actually have some ancestral ties to them (albeit 1/32).

I look forward to seeing it completed. I tried to make a North America mod years ago but, alas, it never got past basic alpha testing, although I did notice one thing that you should consider.

I found that that the AI had a problem playing as the Haida. On the map that I was using, Haida Gwaii was a 2 tile island where the Haida started, and 90% of the time they not settle the mainland and would just sit there, despite having the ability to build ships and being surrounded by fish. Just something you should note.

Top Bottom