Resource icon

The Nobles' Club Bullpen: Third Cycle

Hi Dalamb!

I'd like to ask you about helping you hosting these series: How much help do you need in your opinion? In this round "the helpers" helped you in 3 of 5 games. Is that good or do you get bored with too much help? Do you need more help? Is this good? Hehe, just interested.

(and hey, don't get fooled by avatar change...its still me, Robert FIN here!)

I don't have any specific ratio in mind between maps I make and those other people make. I'd miss it if I never made a map, but if other people make lots of them it's OK with me. I expect to be responsible for whatever maps other people don't volunteer for, and I expect I'll want to claim certain leaders from time to time (when I have a particular idea for what I want to do with them).

OK Dalamb! Sounds acceptable ;)! I'd like to make a leader request for next round; good ol' Roosevelt!! Its gonna be the same map as I played in my first Civ 4 game ever. I won time victory on settler then :lol:. Its playtested. Good map.

Hannibal is up

btw Dalamb I note your instructions say nothing about altering the Handicap=HANDICAP_NOBLE line for the player, if you change this to the right level then the appropriate option is already selected when you start a game. Just a little point but good practice I think.

I've added guidelines on map creation, including the results of the recent poll and cryptic notes on how to use my Emacs macros, if you already know Emacs.

I know this is off-topic, but emacs=rox. If you don't know it, you're wrong not to (unless you use vi of course, but then you already know).

You edit text. You do, if you use a computer, even if you don't know what that means. Help yourself, use emacs (or vi). Hint: It's All Text.

Way off topic, sorry. Also preachy, very sorry. Oy. Really very sorry: I can't not speak up about this. I promise not to again, on this board ;).

(I encouraged my wife, my not-geeky wife, to use emacs. She did, and still does.)

Emacs is 30 years out of date. And vi is even older. If you want some dumbass unix program that doesn't work very well, try gedit. At least it uses standard key combinations. For a real editor, try notepad+. Or eclipse. Or :eek: Visual Studio.

Hehe... Few months back I wasn't able to save right 'cause I was a complete newbie. The problem was me. I think that every text editor can handle BTS-files since the complete free editor which is already downloaded in all Win7 machines (is it notepad or wordpad, can't remember) can do it just fine. I use Word07, since my father got 07-Office Pack disc from his job for free. I recommend you guys to use the editor what's already in your Win7 computers so you don't even have to download anything! Just check for notepad and wordpad and you're ready to make maps. Don't know if you have other OS... Just try to search for them anyways. At least I know that Open Office, in these days called Libre Office is free from internet. I don't know anything about E-McDonald's but it must be a really good program since the most famous mapmakers like Dalamb are using it. Maybe someone wants to tell details about Emacs to us ;)!

Notepad is fine for editing save files. It's about the level of gedit, perhaps a bit below. As for emacs, it was an amazing innovation in 1981 but it has gotten quite stale over the years.

There is a strange group of unix freaks who have the notion that the Model T is the greatest car ever built and that no real driver needs seat belts or rear view mirrors. :crazyeye:

Well, nice to hear that I was right about notepad at least :)!

Notepad is fine for editing save files. It's about the level of gedit, perhaps a bit below. As for emacs, it was an amazing innovation in 1981 but it has gotten quite stale over the years.

There is a strange group of unix freaks who have the notion that the Model T is the greatest car ever built and that no real driver needs seat belts or rear view mirrors. :crazyeye:
Still got far more features than "modern" text editors like gedit and Notepad, but of course Vi is the best :)

I recommend you guys to use the editor what's already in your Win7 computers so you don't even have to download anything!
Terrible recommendation - don't use Microsoft products unless there is no alternative!

Editor flamewars don't belong in this thread. Neither do insults. Not that insults belong in any thread, I suppose.

The only reason the LISP code for my emacs macros is mentioned in the initial messages is because at least one potential map maker wanted to see them.

The main advice people need about editors is to use one you're familiar with that deals with plain text instead of fonts and markup, since unless you're careful those can sometimes mess up the save files.

Okay, I don't add anything to "editor flamewars". Just that I'm sorry if I insulted someone, I never mean to say bad things to other posters. If you feel that you've been insulted by me, I'm sorry about it and I hope that you'll forgive me. I hope that I translated those thoughts right, I don't want to be unclear in this thing. I had also a better reason to post: Next round :banana:! Any requests? I think that there wasn't any before my current request, which is Roosevelt, which is the game I wanna host next round. I'd like to see Dalamb's list (with Roosy in of course :p) and if someone has something to add on it, we'll edit it a little. Agreed? By the way, thanks for hosting the Hannibal game, Noble Zarkon. I haven't read the thread very much but seems like everyone was happy :goodjob:! And one more thing: Is it just me or are the forum threads, including NC games, a little more quiet than in wintertime? That's weird, at least I have more time to play in summer than I have in School Seasons. Well, maybe people are in countryside w/o internet connection so they cannot post. I took the laptop with me (for civi'ing) and post with phone's 3G.

@Robert: I wasn't referring to you.

For Robert and any others not familiar with English internet slang: An "editor flamewar" is a special case of a "flamewar", focusing on which editor is best. A "flamewar" is an argument using inflammatory language. I suppose to be a "war" there might have to be inflammatory language on both sides, but I'm not entirely sure.

I expect to be able to put together a proposal for the next round of 5 leaders by the end of next week. I'll want to look back over the recent posts to see if any other leaders were requested, such as pomthom's suggestion about Qin.

Whomever you pick, please sign me up to make a map next time if you would. Sort of have that itch.

Yes!! Oz-Man is back to business! I thought that you don't wanna make maps anymore but I was so wrong! Cannot wait to see your map ol' mate! :)

Nah, I just don't play much anymore--too busy with Crusader Kings II and Rogue Legacy and Animal Crossing with my daughter. But I tend to play the NC maps when they come up, and I've got a hankerin'. :)

Nah, I just don't play much anymore--too busy with Crusader Kings II and Rogue Legacy and Animal Crossing with my daughter. But I tend to play the NC maps when they come up, and I've got a hankerin'. :)

As I already said, nice to hear that you're still doing these things w/ us :)! I've never played the other games but I rate CK2 to "I should get this one"- list. Its nice that you play some video games with your kids. Its really one of the funniest things to do with daddy! I know it, since my father teached me to play the old Civilizations once I was so small that I hardly could read. Thats why its the best game I know. So much memories. He did quit playing years ago. I bought Civ 4 last summer and he hasn't been very interested. One day he checked what am I doing and I was playing Civ4 (I was veeeery noob!). Shaka appeared to the screen. He says: "That guy looks really unthrustworthy! You should keep your eye on him!". Me: "Oh yeah? Can't you see that he is at Pleased??". Lesson: Listen to your daddy! :lol:. Sooo.. Keep playing with your kids, they enjoy it :)! And before I forget this; Let us see your list Dalamb! I wanna see it! It would be "Everybody OK with this?" list.

Top Bottom