The "OMG! Look what happened in DoC!" Thread

@Leoreth, perhaps aqueducts should require a hill or mountain in the city radius? Shouldn't be too hard for the vast majority of cities to qualify, but it'd eliminate rogue aqueducts, and fit the history better as well.

Well, romans built acqueducts to bring fresh water in places very far from hills or mountains.
Maybe aqueducts cannot be allowed in small islands.

Also, if this suggestion is implemented, the restriction should be lifted at some point (urban planning, hydraulics, or some industrial era tech), when pipe-based water systems replace old-fashioned aqueducts. Modern cities have aqueducts regardless of topography.

Also, if this suggestion is implemented, the restriction should be lifted at some point (urban planning, hydraulics, or some industrial era tech), when pipe-based water systems replace old-fashioned aqueducts. Modern cities have aqueducts regardless of topography.
That would be represented by sewers, no? Or do sewers only represent sewers and not modern plumbing in general. On that note, why is such a powerful effect tied to a building whose visual representation is completely out of place in most modern cities? Does aqueducts have a modern visual graphic it switches to that I haven't noticed, or are late game cities expected to have anachronistic aqueducts flowing through them?

That would be represented by sewers, no? Or do sewers only represent sewers and not modern plumbing in general. On that note, why is such a powerful effect tied to a building whose visual representation is completely out of place in most modern cities? Does aqueducts have a modern visual graphic it switches to that I haven't noticed, or are late game cities expected to have anachronistic aqueducts flowing through them?
I don't know what represents what, but the aqueduct building doesn't obsolete, so I assume it represents water carrying systems at all time periods. There are several other buildings whose appearance don't update, but which are obviously still relevant in the late game, such as theaters.

These are really weird things that have happened in the last 3 months while I was playing Dawn of Civilization:
P.S. I have not used world builder to create these weird circumstances but I do use world builder to check out the map once in a while to see if something like this ever happened.

Persia conquered all of Europe, Middle East, and Northern Africa:
Persia.JPG

The Byzantines were still alive in 1750 AD with a stable stability and only the city of Athens:
Byzantine in 1749.JPG
Byzantine in 1750.JPG

World War II:
WWII0000.JPG

I survived with the Babylonians till 500 AD:
Babylon in 500.JPG
Babylon in 499.JPG

Hungary colonizing Mexico:
Mexico Hungary.JPG

I am sure crazier things have happened before but these are the only crazy things that ever happened to me.
All of these happened in DOC Reborn which adds about 15 new civs. Except for WWII and Persia.

This thread is only for games played with DoC, excluding modmods.

and iirc only for weird stuff that ai does, not for human achievements.
additionally this wwII picture reminds me that this mod needs a good diplomatic view screen and it hurts my eyes. Probably it requires recompiling the dll but even a simple idea like grouping two civs together if they have the same edges to all other civs would work really nice.

Well the I think it's really weird for the AI to survive as Byzantium till the mid 18th century.
Actually in my own experiences lately, ever since the big patch rewriting a lot of the code, the Byzantines seem to survive the Ottoman spawn, 9 times out of 10. In my Russian game currently, it is nearly the 19th century, and Byzantine is still going fairly strong, holding onto Constantinople, Bulgaria and Greece. I haven't helped them in any wars either!

Actually in my own experiences lately, ever since the big patch rewriting a lot of the code, the Byzantines seem to survive the Ottoman spawn, 9 times out of 10. In my Russian game currently, it is nearly the 19th century, and Byzantine is still going fairly strong, holding onto Constantinople, Bulgaria and Greece. I haven't helped them in any wars either!
In my games, most of the time the Carthaginians survive till the end. In my German game, the Carthaginians have the Moors as a colony and are still going strong. I don't know whether this is because of sheer luck or from the new update or from the game speed (Epic speed).

In my games, most of the time the Carthaginians survive till the end. In my German game, the Carthaginians have the Moors as a colony and are still going strong. I don't know whether this is because of sheer luck or from the new update or from the game speed (Epic speed).
Yeah the Carthagians always survive till the end. And when I saw always I mean literally always, no exceptions.

What a quaint 600 AD game!
1. Natives conquered Mali
Spoiler :
upload_2020-10-6_17-29-38.png

2. China took cities in Persia and India. Mexico became a vassal of China peacefully. The USA became a vassal of Britain peacefully too. Brasil adopted Islam O_o
Spoiler :
upload_2020-10-6_17-34-41.png

Last edited:
sent to the nether realms

Because it is impossible to know for a wider audience what a surprising development is in modmods that make significant alterations. Of course there is no reason not to make a separate thread for those screenshots.

Top Bottom