The "OMG! Look what happened!" Thread

The only thing I can think of is America's defenses were depleted by a rival civilization and the natives took them over before they could rebuild their defenses.

Thats true. I've once seen a french city defended only by an axeman.:lol:

The only thing I can think of is America's defenses were depleted by a rival civilization

Impossible unless the rival civ is human.

I had a game as France once (it was before this newest patch, though) where America was taken by dog soldiers the turn after they spawned. I guess they founded Washington and just left it undefended. What's weird is that a turn or two later the city flipped to them along with New York and they came back.

How's this:

Kind of like a game of regular Civ 4. Rome was Portuguese that game, too. Better than Dutch, I guess.

I saw this thread and I knew that I just had to post this (mini-map!).

I was playing a peaceful (!) game as the Aztecs, when I noticed that many (in fact, too many to be normal) messages á la "Nation XY is descending into civil war!" appeared. I decided to take a look at the world builder and voilá, the Old World was "Independent" ;). Later on Spain, Mongolia and Egypt collapsed too... (Unfortunately, I forgot to take a screenshot.)

Attachments

• Collapse.JPG
    Collapse.JPG
    201.1 KB · Views: 4,359
Wow, I've never seen that many independent cities before! I can not imagine how it happened. That is definitely an OMG Moment.

It was prolly in europe: Germany invading europe ---> non-german europe falling into civil war ---> Germany falling into civil war because of - stability from other collapses and overexpansion ---> no idea why spain collapsed

In asia: Persia collapses india and babylonia---> Arabia collapses persia and eqypt---> Turkey collapses arabia--->

In china mongols just prolly collapsed china and then khmer.

@ Black Whole: And you say even more collapsed! I wonder what caused this.

I noticed, that the remaining civs seemed to think "Oh! Independents = Free territory for everyone!". IMO, they captured city after city, which made them collapse. Spain was at that time already invading german/russian territory, while the Mongols stood in front of Angkor and Delhi. I am not sure why Egypt collapsed being modest during its lifetime...

And that's why I lessened the penalty for overexpanding. I hated that every time you have a strong AI it collapsed due to overexpansion.

How did you lower the penalty for overexpansion? What did you need to edit? I'd love to do this because it seems silly that an otherwise strong nation would collapse just because it could take more territory.

Have you noticed any significant changes since you made the change?

How did you lower the penalty for overexpansion? What did you need to edit?

Some values in Stability.py.

I changed the 32 in the line "iNumPlotsAbroad = max(0,self.getOwnedPlotsLastTurn(iPlayer)-32)" to 52. (responsible for how many plots that belong to nobody's core can you have before the penalty kicks in)

I gave Couthouses an additional stability point by changing +1 in

elif (iBuilding == con.iCourthouse or iBuilding == con.iAztecSacrificialAltar or iBuilding == con.iSumerianZiggurat): #courthouse
if (not city.hasBuilding(con.iPalace) and not city.hasBuilding(con.iForbiddenPalace) and not city.hasBuilding(con.iSummerPalace)):
if (self.getStability(iPlayer) < 0):
self.setStability(iPlayer, self.getStability(iPlayer) + 1 )

to +2. Since the more cities you can have, the more courthouses you can build, that factor helps large empires.

To have a more stable AI Germany, I changed the

if (iPlayer == con.iTurkey or iPlayer == con.iAmerica or iPlayer == con.iPortugal or iPlayer == con.iNetherlands): #they have too much foreign culture

line to

if (iPlayer == con.iTurkey or iPlayer == con.iAmerica or iPlayer == con.iPortugal or iPlayer == con.iNetherlands or iPlayer == con.iGermany): #they have too much foreign culture

I also reduced some tertiary penalties.

In addition, I disabled the plague and increased the UnitBuildProbs of all AI leaders.

Last edited:
I noticed, that the remaining civs seemed to think "Oh! Independents = Free territory for everyone!". IMO, they captured city after city, which made them collapse.
This is so typical!
I one recent game I had China and Mongolia collapsed, one after the other.
The khmer created a huge empire controlling all east asia (all china and half 3 mongolian towns).

And that's why I lessened the penalty for overexpanding. I hated that every time you have a strong AI it collapsed due to overexpansion.
In the past I did something similar.
I also gave a little bit more strenght to the civics effecting stability (the last coloumn).
This helps everybody's stability without necessary be linked to bigger empires.
I also made less punishing to change civics (reduced the effect of anarchy on stability) to help the AI in changes of civics.

Is there a way to make it so that the owning someone else's home turf penalty only applies if that civ is still alive? That way An empire expanding to take over little duchies won't suffer the instability that they would if they attacked a full-fledged nation.

Is there a way to make it so that the owning someone else's home turf penalty only applies if that civ is still alive? That way An empire expanding to take over little duchies won't suffer the instability that they would if they attacked a full-fledged nation.
once you conquer entirely an other civ, then that civ is dead...
with your suggestion, the human player should not suffer from the instability due to occupy the other's civ territory.

If that suggestion was implemented then I would beeline to conquer the eneny capital, make them collapse, and finally conquer their lands without pay the stability penalty.

I think it will be fair to "pay" stability penalty only for core territory after that Civ first spawn.

Wow, I've never seen that many independent cities before! I can not imagine how it happened. That is definitely an OMG Moment.

well, instability of neighbors causes instability, hence... it's like a virus spreading :D

Just happened... in 1778, but I think it's a bug :

America owned by natives ! Incredible ! (and a nederland town near seattle).

That's not correct: Washington is owned by Independents, and I think it is defended by a Grenadier (the screenshot isn't very clear about this).

Btw the native american conquerors that someone mentioned has been fixed in the last version (or one but last can't remember).

Top Bottom