[GS] The Ottomans Discussion Thread

There is no details to the uniforms, boring design ( if you even can call it that ), monocolors, no interesting shading, technically "poor", at first I thought they were wearing clogs.
This free to play mobile game ( dominations ) got a much better artistic take on the janissaries unit than Firaxis has.

Are you serious when comparing a concept art (used in the in-game unit card) with an actual in-game 3D model?

Plus everithing about resembling more the actual images of the era said before...

It was one of the first to forego absolute monarchy and give a say in government to others. Namely oligarchal aristocrats, but later everyone.
There was no absolute monarchy in Europe in the Middle Ages (indeed for much of the Middle Ages many kings had very little power at all when not at war--which might go a long way to explaining the constant warfare), but it was the first to constitutionally define the power of the monarch. NB that England nevertheless went through the absolutism phase along with the rest of Western Europe in the Renaissance--but the Tudors' powers were never quite on the scale of the Bourbons' or Hapsburgs'.

Charles I
Louis XVI would like to remind you that Charlie was not the only king to lose his head in a revolution, and the Romanovs remind you that losing one's head is not the only way a king can die. ;) A little more impressive is that James II was deposed without anyone losing their heads, though the Jacobite Rebellion still happened.

The raider is nice, one raider for the era points and sneak in for the siege, raiding coasts has never been that beneficial.
I know you are speaking generally from an efficiency gameplay strategy, but would like add a large map, moderate finish time flare. If you have a few extra cities, say on an oversized modded map, I think having these 7 movement, no pillage cost, raiders sailing about could be quite beneficial. With the amenity boost from the Bazaar's you can just declare on any civ you find and pillage their coast. Then go on to the next civ, pillage them, and check periodically to see if the first pillaged civ has repaired the districts yet. If so, return for round 2. Rinse/repeat.

Louis XVI would like to remind you that Charlie was not the only king to lose his head in a revolution, and the Romanovs remind you that losing one's head is not the only way a king can die. ;) A little more impressive is that James II was deposed without anyone losing their heads, though the Jacobite Rebellion still happened.
Andronikos I Komnenos would like to laugh at all these puny losses, as when he lost power to Isaac II Angelos, he also lost an eye, teeth, hair and a hand, and eventually became a target of a competition between two soldiers on who can stab him with a sword more deeply :p

Rinse/repeat.
I get a bit threadbare if I rinse and repeat too much but yes, one can find a map and strategy ... do not get me wrong... I like the unit. Just trying to be measured in my response.... and so the efficiencies, the thing looks good and thats a good start

There was no absolute monarchy in Europe in the Middle Ages (indeed for much of the Middle Ages many kings had very little power at all when not at war--which might go a long way to explaining the constant warfare), but it was the first to constitutionally define the power of the monarch. NB that England nevertheless went through the absolutism phase along with the rest of Western Europe in the Renaissance--but the Tudors' powers were never quite on the scale of the Bourbons' or Hapsburgs'.

"People cry when royal family members die? how pathetic" -- literally every Ottoman Sultan

My only quibble with the Ottomans is that I'm afraid the AI will not be able to use them to good effect. It's nice to have a few civs with simple bonuses that are easy for the AI to use, especially domination-focussed civs that can make you pay attention to them. Most of the GS civs will require a human hand to synergize their bonuses effectively.

I actually think they seem like an easier Civ for the AI to play with (versus say Maori or Mali). Yes it won't use the unique governor well (or likely the corsair), but the AI can handle bombard units much better than the rams/siege towers, so that's a plus (especially with the double strength walls coming in GS). The AI has the tendency to capture cities that then flip back from loyalty pressure - less so with the Ottomans.. The AI doesn't build with the intention of mass upgrading - the half price UU will be better for them.

not specifically for the Ottomans but why is everyone trying to find the newest revealed civ to be the most powerful, the most OP whatever. There is should room for civs to be enjoyed and played if one desires a specific type of game?

You know the video shows a janissary getting its second promotion as the free one, and as they show the historic moment for janissaries in the same cut just prior, it implies that that janissary earned the first promotion as a swordsman or warrior before being upgraded.
That would make it a pretty darn good unique unit. Since the production cost is low, the gold upgrade cost should be too, and you could probably completely evade the population cost, either because it doesn't apply when upgrading, or by upgrading while in territory belonging to a conquered city. The free promotion could easily be the third or fourth promotion for the unit, if you play your cards right.

Pretty good for a mid game UU. Of course, it will not help you if you get killed by Nubian archers in the ancient or classical era.

That would also make the consume one pop requirement stupid if you could just prebuild a lot of swordsmen and then upgrade.

I think this is a case of looking at the game mechanics from the rather myopic perspective of this community: a lot of players are not going to exploit upgrading, or will either produce more military units through the game than we do or will lose more in combat. Plus, it's already a fairly pointless restriction since it doesn't apply to units trained in conquered cities. It's really there for flavour more than function.

Of course this unit is an upgrade - if Firaxis had wanted it not to be an upgrade from the swordsmen, they'd just make it a unique unit like the Keshig which doesn't have a generic counterpart rather than a musketman replacement. Pretty sure every unit that replaces a main upgrade tree unit is available as an upgrade, and the musketman is on an important upgrade path.

What if the agenda of Suleyman is,
"Likes you if he conquered your city."

Would that then obligate Firaxis to have a leader with the opposite agenda, who likes you if you've conquered his/her city?

Last edited:
Would that then obligate Firaxis to have a leader with the opposite agenda, who likes you if you've conquered his/her city?
"Philippe Pétain also leads France in Sid Meier's Civilization VI." :lol:

Top Bottom