1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] The Ottomans Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Jan 22, 2019.

1. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

You know the video shows a janissary getting its second promotion as the free one, and as they show the historic moment for janissaries in the same cut just prior, it implies that that janissary earned the first promotion as a swordsman or warrior before being upgraded.

Meluhhan, Kjimmet and Siptah like this.
  2. Ersoperso

Ersoperso Chieftain

Osman Bey was leader of Kayı tribe before he found Ottoman Empire. Kayı was not city or empire they was just people which live under Seljuks control and Osman bey father Ertugrul Ghazi was margrave of Seljuks. So Seljuks become Ottomans and Ottomans become Modern Turkey!

Meluhhan likes this.
  3. Cagarustus

Cagarustus Chieftain

Legacy of Westminster or God save the King:

“England receives a unique government type, the English Monarchy, which is available in the medieval era. Can not access other 2 or 3 tier governments. Can change policies any turn without incurring a cost.”

4. pgm123

pgm123 Warlord

I liked some of your other suggestions, but not this one. The Yamato Dynasty has been pretty marginal in most of Japan's history and none of the leaders are represented in the game. Some people want Mutsuhito in the game, but generally speaking most of the suggests have been Shogun. I think a better name is probably "Rising Sun."

Kjimmet likes this.
  5. Alexadamz

Alexadamz Chieftain

That is a nice idea indeed. If we can have an Unique Governor, why not an unique for other game features? I like that.

6. pgm123

pgm123 Warlord

Neither were the Byzantines or Trojans.

7. DWilson

DWilson Where am I? What turn is it?

Out of curiosity, was the English monarchy truly all that unique historically? (Not that that has been a requirement in the past, just curious).

8. God of Kings

God of Kings Ruler of all heads of state

...but England would be able to get a Tier 4 government.

9. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

It was one of the first to forego absolute monarchy and give a say in government to others. Namely oligarchal aristocrats, but later everyone.

10. pgm123

pgm123 Warlord

This is not true. The Ottoman Empire was, in English, referred to as Turkey or the Turkish Empire more than it was not. Ottoman was (and is) more properly the name of the Dynasty like Carolingian Empire to refer to the Frankish Empire. (Ottoman is a translation of Osman.) It's not that the name Ottoman was never used, but Turkey is Turkish was used more. The name Ottoman is preferred now to distinguish it from the modern nation. It's taught as Ottoman in schools and viewed differently. I think Turkish Empire would have been better fitting historically and given modders more flexibility to use Seljuks or other Turks, but it's not really a big deal.

Meluhhan and Siptah like this.
  11. God of Kings

God of Kings Ruler of all heads of state

Fictional portrayals of historical and current Japanese emperors, especially those within the past millennium, are off-limits in Japan. Yes, the Yamato Dynasty is the current dynasty.

12. pgm123

pgm123 Warlord

Yeah, I know. Though I would characterize it as something they don't approve of--there are plenty of fictional portrayals of historical emperors. My point is that from the establishment of the Kamakura Bakufu until Mutsuhito took the throne, the Emperor was not in power (with a few exceptions).

13. ferretbacon

ferretbacon Obsessor

So if the Grand Bazaar gives +1 amenity for every (unique?) improved luxury in the city, it sounds like you can pretty readily trade away all copies of certain resources in some cases. It's sort of complicated since retaining one copy of each unique luxury resource applies the four amenity points across the four neediest cities (assuming I actually understand how amenities work, of course), but that's what I'm interpreting here. That if you're careful, you can trade away your last copy of luxury resources and not suffer for it if most of your cities have a couple of luxuries improved.

George Abitbol and Seek like this.
  14. zelsphere

zelsphere Chieftain

Civ looks great, but the model and texture work on the Janissary units looks horrendous, almost sub-par modding level*

15. Pietato

Pietato Warlord

That governor makes them insanely good at capturing cities. Just keep moving him forward. He will need to be assassinated ASAP if you face them.

Wut

Land Down Under is good? British Museum is bad? Land Down Under is just a stupid saying with no meaning, while British Museum summarises nicely their conquest and theft which defined them.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2019
  16. acluewithout

acluewithout Warlord

+1 Economic Policy slot would have been one way to go, if a bit plain. I don’t think England could then have other UA bonuses given how strong that is (assuming you want to leave room for other abilities and strong units).

Actually though, I like the WotW and the rest of the rework, and would prefer just leaving England as is.

If I was going to do anything, I’d maybe let England buy its Royal Navy Dockyard with Gold. That would synergise well with other gold abilities and let England colonies much more effectively.

I’m a bit amazed we don’t have more Civs with their own unique governments, really.

Honestly though. I really hope we get a Third Expansion focused on Ideologies and that, while keeping the basic policy slot structure, otherwise reworks governments, governors, legacy cards and Gov Plaza, and connects tourism / culture and ideology with loyalty and related mechanics (like there was in Civ V). The whole Government / Governance / clash of Ideologies is the last big thing Civ VI is missing.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
  17. ArallanKing

ArallanKing Chieftain

What if the agenda of Suleyman is,
    "Likes you if he conquered your city."

Klinn likes this.
  18. Morningcalm

Morningcalm Keeper of Records

I personally do not agree that the art is sub-par, though it's true they don't look all that scary for such famed fighters.

And generally (with some exceptions later on) janissaries were forbidden from growing beards, as that wasn't the sign of a free man, though they did have moustaches. So they should just remove the beard from the unit.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
    George Abitbol likes this.
  19. Mr Jon of Cheam

Mr Jon of Cheam Chieftain

God save the King would work but I wish you would stop saying 'Legacy of Westminster' as if it's a thing, it's not a thing.

George Abitbol and acluewithout like this.
  20. zelsphere

zelsphere Chieftain

There is no details to the uniforms, boring design ( if you even can call it that ), monocolors, no interesting shading, technically "poor", at first I thought they were wearing clogs.
    This free to play mobile game ( dominations ) got a much better artistic take on the janissaries unit than Firaxis has.