1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] The Ottomans Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Jan 22, 2019.

1. Lord Lakely

Lord Lakely Unintentionally a feminist.

2. ShakaKhan

ShakaKhan King

Pretty sure they wouldn't do this, but just wanted to check with you guys...

If you build a swordsman, he goes on his merry way swordsman-ing, then you get the tech and resources to upgrade to janissary, the city that built the swordsman doesn't lose a pop point, does it? Seems unlikely, but if there's a chance I'll lose half my pop by mass-upgrading, I'm not playing them. (or just disband and build the cheap things.)

3. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

No certainty yet
    Maybe upgraded units don't cause the pop loss, maybe it affects the original city, maybe it affects the city where the unit is upgraded, we don't know yet. We're not even sure if you can upgrade from swordsman to jannisary although my bet is yes.

4. acluewithout

acluewithout Deity

I agree with all this.

Some additional thoughts.

Great Turkish Bombard. Let’s see if all the balancing that’s going on buffs Seige. To my mind, Seige don’t need much of a buff to be really good. If Seige do get a leg up at some point, this UA would be awesome.

Ottomans v Spain. I think the “fun” of Civs like the Ottomans and Spain is that their military advantages come late. So, you warmonger when it’s kinda of harder more challenging to do so. Of course, Ottomans do get early bonuses via Governor and their coastal raider might be intended to let them slow down opponents and steal yields (like Norway) until their good stuff comes on line. I’m not a fan of domination victories, but Ottomams do look fun.

Unique Governor. I like the mechanics and having to choose between your UG and the normal Governors is interesting (similar to Sweden having to choose between its UB and normal second tier plaza buildings). But, Ottoman’s UG just emphasises to me how bland the Governor system is - particularly the way everyone chooses between the same bland Governors and ends up broadly selecting the same governors and same promotions. The basic mechanics are solid, but the visualisation is so bland and the game play is too. Why can’t I have more than one “Diplomat” or “Science Guy”? Why can’t I put my Diplomats into other Civ’s Cities? How can multiple Civs have Victor? Etc #onemoreexpansion

George Abitbol likes this.
  5. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

You forgot the Byzantines...oh wait.
    Maybe they will make a surprise return. I can dream. :mischief:

6. Hakan-i Cihan

Hakan-i Cihan Emperor

I like it in general. But it seems inappropriate to put the Janissary military band music at atomic era. I would have used that one for medieval and moved the ones from medieval to industrial and one from industrial to atomic.

7. Pietato

Pietato Emperor

This is incorrect. They have a unique governor.

8. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Deity

Unfortunately, the Tudors failed to produce Heirs, which is fatal Incompetence in a hereditary Monarchy. . .

And for everybody's benefit, the Fronde in France was basically a Noble's revolt. What kept it from happening again was that Louis XIV gave his nobles the Right and Privilege of leading his regiments, and during the wars from 1690 to 1715 they got shot down in droves by the English and Dutch, and in every case Louis got to approve their heirs in their titles. By the end of the War of the Spanish Succession, there was scarcely a noble family in France who's head didn't owe his position directly and personally to the king. So, naturally, they all followed the monarchy loyally into Oblivion when the revolution came. . .

9. Zaarin

Zaarin Chief Medical Officer, DS9

Apparently he learned something from the story of Uriah the Hittite; it was just the wrong something. :p

King Rad and Eagle Pursuit like this.
  10. Navelgazer

Navelgazer Prince

I half-expected "Sick Man of Europe" as a malus making them lose cities more easily to lack of happiness/loyalty.

Weraptor likes this.
  11. Sostratus

Sostratus Emperor

I actually think the Janissaries will be monsters. 60 base strength means that if you slot oligarchic legacy you have a 64 strength unit. This, ever so conveniently, is the strength of the current top of the industrial food chain: the cuirassier. (Excepting some unique cav units.) Even at 60 they are no slouches in the industrial. But you also have a free promo. I'm not sure if that applies on modernizing them from swords, but, it's one promotion faster to +1 movement and Urban warfare.

Cost wise is where I think they went too far. In the video, Uppsala was had 5.3 production and could build a pike&shot in 48 turns, implying heavily that pike and shot are still 250 base production. Muskets are 240 base, and the Janissary was shown in video as 120 base on standard speed. (I mentioned the pike and shot to demonstrate they likely haven't changed the costs of renaissance units.)
    Pikes suck but Impis are amazing because they are cheap. Ottoman Janissaries literally cost HALF of a musket. And knowing the ottomans, they probably gave them a niter start bias. So even if you don't build that many, upgrading will cost pennies: swords only cost 30 production less. Even if janissary production is gated by niter, that is still 120 production you can spend on something else.

From what they have said, basically an iron deposit will give +2 iron per turn, and swords take 20 iron on standard speed to be built. So you're limited to 1 sowrd per 10 turns per mine. Now, the existence of a card "Equestrian orders" heavily implies there will be a slew of cards so you can bump that iron mine up to +3. This means a sword every 6-7 turns, per mine. If you have two iron mines it will be pretty easy to build them. The issue is that you cannot now just upgrade your whole army in one turn unless you have a large stockpile (need encampments,) so it buffers the advantage of getting say, muskets 15 turns before someone else. Later strategics resources - coal, oil, aluminum, uranium, almost certainly have larger resources per deposit or late game systems would be dysfunctional.

I mean its like they have the mythical siege unit production card as a permanent bonus. The extra strength is great too. I can see my siege really taking a bite out of raiding ships as coastal defenses (siege do full damage to ships while ranged gets the penalty.)
    I quite enjoy that they went with a more "methodical city taking and occupation" focus of warmongering than "kill more" bonuses. Ibrahim being an offensive military governor is just great and Serasker is one of the greatest promotions of all time. You can have it unlocked before you even get to political philosophy since it's first tier, and it gives you +10 within 10 tiles which is most of an empire at that point. +50% damage to cities and encampments for all units! You don't even need the UUs to go nuts, just walk up with a ram or siege tower and enjoy the free urban warfare promo. It also puts ranged units in a special zone- they go from -17 (half damage) to -7 (more like .7x damage) which makes them much more viable to shoot at defenses without incendiaries. And ranged units are resource less. And you get those great benefits to actually holding the cities once you capture them!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2019
  12. Leathaface

Leathaface Emperor

The Janissaries could be a very big threat alright if the Ottomans are your next door neighbour in GS, which I like. I hope the Ottoman AI is smart enough to use Oligarchy legacy for extra strength. Having to invest in strong troops to defend against them is something I would like to have to do rather than just focusing on Science, built 5 or 6 troops and coast to a Science victory.

Sostratus likes this.
  13. PhilBowles

PhilBowles Deity

And better, cheaper catapults and no population reduction from city conquests - which said catapults make easier before turn 100.

Pietato likes this.
  14. Kaan Boztepe

Kaan Boztepe Warlord

Eagle Pursuit likes this.
  15. Deggial

Deggial Emperor

Minor point and side question:
    Will English 'Ottomans' be correctly localized into German 'Osmanen', or are the two terms too close and the difference will slip the translation team/QA?

Any bets?

16. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

It was correct in earlier games, right? I can remember it being wrong in Cossacks where it said Ottomanen, but not in civ. Would have been especially weird in civ III, when Osman would lead the Ottomanisches Reich.

Deggial likes this.
  17. Uberfrog

Uberfrog Deity

I seem to remember it being correct in Civ IV at least (I sometimes played in German to "practise" for high school :lol:), and that was the game that gave us the bizarre demonym "Malinese"....

Siptah and Deggial like this.
  18. Lily_Lancer

Lily_Lancer Emperor

Both UUs are great. The early Privateer is so good, given Privateers doesn't cost resource and unlock at Mercanaries I guess. (Poor Jung, now they cost nitre and not early now).

The musket UU depend on nitre. Its cost is good, but as for muskets nobody care about prod cost, but the number of nitre. Anyway, +5 base strength is very good.

The UA is also good. The Unique governor provides +15 strength altogether when attacking that city. It's +15! Although it takes 5 turns for him to establish so may only work for 1~2 cities per civ. But that's +15 siege strength, combined with UA, +20.

Extra amenity and loyalty is very good in R & F, but may not be that good in GS since the city takes longer to rebel, lowering the"rebel-- pillage--capture--fix" cycle efficiency. Hope the cycle can be fixed.

The UB is at least cheaper( 220 prod vs. 290) than banks.

19. Leathaface

Leathaface Emperor

TBH I don't think the bonus production to Siege units is useful until your opponent researches Steel. Battering Ram are so OP that you don't need Siege units, just pair a battering ram with a melee unit, attack the city 3 times with melee units and the walls are down in 1 turn.

I hope battering rams get a big nerf in GS.

20. SmashPig5

SmashPig5 Chieftain

I'd like to point out that, in the first look video when the Janissary is built to demonstrate the pop. loss at 0:45 - 0:46, the nitre count in the top bar actually increases (as in, they get nitre at the end of the turn from their mines), but what's notable is that it doesn't go down by, 20 I think is the norm, suggesting that the Janissary takes no nitre to build perhaps? Or at least far less in accordance with their half production cost of a musketman. This would make a Janissary time push superior to most other kinds of pushes that will now potentially be limited by resources.

EDIT: I've also come to the potential conclusion that building a unit that requires a resource does not actually use up the resource, but merely requires it in stock, as the Janissary tool tip in the build menu says "requires 20 nitre"