1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] The Ottomans Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Jan 22, 2019.

1. MarigoldRan

MarigoldRan WARLORD

Wow. It really does say 120 base for the Janissary (half of Musket). https://civilization.fandom.com/wiki/Janissary_(Civ6)

My opinion of the Ottomans has changed. They're AMAZING especially since you can UPGRADE into them. Consider: a swordsmen's production is only 90. It'll cost like only 50-60 gold to upgrade swordsmen into a janissary.

2. steveg700

steveg700 Deity

When was that established?

Let's queue up that question for the livestream, gang.

3. MarigoldRan

MarigoldRan WARLORD

Even if you couldn't upgrade into them, at 120 cost they're still amazing. Just save a couple of forests and you'll have them out in no time.

4. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

I hear music, time to open the other thread. I'm assuming this is Ottoman theme.

5. Seek

Seek Deity Supporter

I just asked in the stream chat. It's true. :)

6. KayAU

KayAU King

So yeah, not only can you upgrade Swordsmen into Janissaries, doing it will not consume population, you will get the free promotion, the upgrade cost is very low as expected, and it requires less niter. Finally, you can still train Swordsmen to after Janissaries become available, and upgrade those to avoid the population cost and save niter if you have to.

7. Leathaface

Leathaface Emperor

Yup. The first looks video made it seem like there was for sure a big penalty to building Janissaries in your own city, but there won't be any if you have an income of Iron. Plus strategic resources are more common in GS, you can just built a limited amount of units with a certain amount of said strategic resource.

8. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

yeah it wouldn't make sense upgrading would consume population since you can do it in your allies cities or city states you are suzerain of. Would be hilarious if that dropped their population though.

And I was wrong about the upgrading. I figured since they had the free promotion, and they were dirt cheap, that they were meant to be hard built. I was wrong.

9. Sagax

Sagax Emperor

Firaxis giveth, Firaxis taketh.

We ended up with weaker than expected Ibrahim (still strong), but stronger than expected Janissaries.

10. steveg700

steveg700 Deity

So, basically shouldn't have even bothered with the pop consumption if they were going to water it down to this level. Waste of a concept.

Boris Gudenuf and Meluhhan like this.
  11. KayAU

KayAU King

Oh man. Feel like conquering the city of a neighboring civilization or city state you are allied with? Upgrade some Swordsmen in their territory to bring down the population, then flip it with loyalty pressure.

That would have been terrible. And awesome.

12. KayAU

KayAU King

I agree. This will be another counterintuitive thing you need to do to play effectively.

13. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

Serasker is still quite strong, just have to keep moving him up with every conquest. The only thing that seems weak to me is Grand Visier. I originally envisioned keeping him in foreign cities during conquest to ensure you had no loyalty flipping whatsoever. Still, they have enough loyalty bonuses, this is not so much an issue.

The left side of the promotion tree seems weak, but could situationally be useful if you want to prop up a weak ally who is near a bully strong AI.

14. pgm123

pgm123 Emperor

Why is Ibrahim weaker than expected?

15. Sagax

Sagax Emperor

Can’t be placed in a civ that you’re currently at war with. But some people already expected this, so for those this doesn’t change anything.

Eagle Pursuit likes this.
  16. KayAU

KayAU King

I think it is better this way. It wouldn't make sense if the civ at war with the Ottomans would allow Ibrahim to stay and exert this kind of influence.

Ondolindë likes this.
  17. steveg700

steveg700 Deity

Now, can Ibby *only* be placed in another civ's city? I mean, if he's in your own city, plenty of those promotions (including the entry-level one) would come in handy.

Also, a foreign city will get that 20% unit production bonus, so could come back to haunt you.

18. pgm123

pgm123 Emperor

Ah, gotcha. Yeah, I thought that was a given because that's how it works with Amani.

He can be placed in your own cities.

19. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

They had him in a frontline Ottoman city during the livestream and moved him to a Hungarian city after it was captured.

20. steveg700

steveg700 Deity

Well, there you go. I don't know that I really need to bother too much with slotting him in other cities, save for a couple of mid-tier promotions.