1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] The Ottomans Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Jan 22, 2019.

1. Wingednosering

Wingednosering Chieftain

They look fantastic! Finally a good Ottoman implementation!

My only gripe is that Suleiman, while modeled beautifully, looks a bit stiff in the animation department.

Also, I ended up being right about occupied city boosts, although I thought it would be tied to the governor.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
    Icicle likes this.
  2. DeepKing

DeepKing Chieftain

Looks very strong. Definitely built for domination.

Tiger Genocide likes this.
  3. bbbt

bbbt Warlord

It's only no loyalty pressure on your cities, so I don't think it would help flip cities in the another empire. It basically means you can conquer a civ without worrying about your conquered cities flipping back from loyalty pressure though.

Pietato, nzcamel, Tchuli and 3 others like this.
  4. Portinou

Portinou Chieftain

The Bazaar is purely domination IMHO: amenities and strategic resources are there to support your war effort. So is Ibrahim: production towards military units, less grievances, less loyalty issues in conquered cities. Yes, Sully is a Zulu-like leader.

5. KnightModern

KnightModern Chieftain

it's easy, he said Kayser-i Rûm, Kayser is turkish spelling of Caesar, and Rûm is arabic & turkish spelling of Rome (Civilization/Empire)

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
    nzcamel and Hawke9 like this.
  6. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Warlord

So obviously the human player is smart enough to build them in conquered cities (just build them in a city you conquered long ago with a warrior/archer rush). But the AI? I can see the Ai building a whole bunch of Janisaries reducing their population to 1. :lol:

7. monstercat

monstercat Chieftain

I am now playing Ottomans second in GS after the Maori. Undermine my enemy's Loyalty with Ibrahim, and pillage all of his tiles with Corsairs, capture his cities and conscript the population into Janissaries, then shatter his Capital's walls with my Bombards.

8. acluewithout

acluewithout Warlord

So, basically don't muck around with Settlers. Capture cities, because captured cities are more loyal and happier, and can pump out your unique unit without costing population.

Also, that Grandbazzar is very punchy - amenities, resources plus base gold.

9. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Warlord

I mean they're strong and focused, can't argue with the design but I guess I was hoping for something different.

Leathaface and Eagle Pursuit like this.
  10. Kibikus

Kibikus Chieftain

Pretty much all of his abilities are towards war, but I guess it's okay, we didn't have a pure Domination civ in GS, apart from Hungary to some extent.

They've made the Janissaries interesting at least thematically. Another thing with the Ottomans will be a distinction between cities you've settled and those you've conquered. I wonder if there will be an UI indication somewhere.

11. Lord Lakely

Lord Lakely Unintentionally a feminist.

They're good and they're strong, but so, so, so BORING. -_- Oh well, extra loyalty and an amenity in conquered cities is hilariously overpowered, at least Dom will be significantly less tedious than it normally is.

12. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Warlord

Well, Ottomans are designed for the wamonger. If you place the unique governor in the civ you are conquering, you will be able to gobble up their cities much quicker.

AvianBritish likes this.
  13. Phoenix1595

Phoenix1595 Lord of the Two Lands

Very cool civ. Ibrahim looks awesome, and I also noticed that he has a 3-turn establishment rate like Victor, so he is fairly mobile too.

Also, Civ6’s Suleiman model is, I daresay, much better than Civ5’s, which is saying something given how the art direction is quite different between the two games. While I’ve gotten used to the more cartoon appearance of Civ6’s leaderheads, Suleiman actually looks more vicious and regal than his earlier incarnation. Props!

14. VermelhoRed

VermelhoRed Chieftain

There goes the Roxelana dream :sad:

15. Leathaface

Leathaface Warlord

"Cities not founded by the Ottomans gain +1 Amenity and +4 Loyalty per turn."

This is a powerful ability, it should really help you keep conquered cities. The Ottomans are a domination focused Civ for sure. I play peaceful (since the current AI can't war effectively ATM) but the Ottomans will be a good opponent to have.

16. Wingednosering

Wingednosering Chieftain

Wonder what his agenda is. Hates people exerting loyalty pressure on him? Hates people settled on coasts? Really wish some of those UG promotions were for everybody...

Phoenicia must be really freaking cool to follow this up.

nzcamel likes this.
  17. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

Agreed. The design is a good one and very unique. But alas, warmonger again.

18. leandrombraz

leandrombraz Chieftain

The unique governor help a bit with diplomacy and alliance, everything else is domination focused. Cool design for a domination Civ though I prefer Civs that are more flexible and have advantages for at least two victory types.

AvianBritish likes this.
  19. Stringer1313

Stringer1313 Chieftain

I think his unique governor is actually based on a real life person, Pargalı Ibrahim Pasha. (He was also a falconer!)

20. ezzlar

ezzlar Chieftain

I am not so impressed given that combat bonuses during late game aren´t so important. A unique musketman is good since no resources are required (in GS as well?) but since it consumes a population I guess it has to be hard built. Not so good.

Leathaface likes this.