[GS] The Ottomans Discussion Thread

They look fantastic! Finally a good Ottoman implementation!

My only gripe is that Suleiman, while modeled beautifully, looks a bit stiff in the animation department.

Also, I ended up being right about occupied city boosts, although I thought it would be tied to the governor.

Last edited:
Granted, it is a top tier promotion, but the Grand Vizier promotion could be really OP (I love it though!). In certain situations, I could see it totally toppling over another civ that is already weak on loyalty.

It's only no loyalty pressure on your cities, so I don't think it would help flip cities in the another empire. It basically means you can conquer a civ without worrying about your conquered cities flipping back from loyalty pressure though.

Janissaries? Check!
Barbary pirates? Check!
Great bombard? Check!

Honestly, this design is kind of perfect - it manages to cover many unique aspects of the Ottomans. I like that the Bazaar and Governor open up options a bit more than Domination only stuff (looking at you, Zulu). This looks like a great addition to the game.

The Bazaar is purely domination IMHO: amenities and strategic resources are there to support your war effort. So is Ibrahim: production towards military units, less grievances, less loyalty issues in conquered cities. Yes, Sully is a Zulu-like leader.

So obviously the human player is smart enough to build them in conquered cities (just build them in a city you conquered long ago with a warrior/archer rush). But the AI? I can see the Ai building a whole bunch of Janisaries reducing their population to 1. :lol:

I am now playing Ottomans second in GS after the Maori. Undermine my enemy's Loyalty with Ibrahim, and pillage all of his tiles with Corsairs, capture his cities and conscript the population into Janissaries, then shatter his Capital's walls with my Bombards.

So, basically don't muck around with Settlers. Capture cities, because captured cities are more loyal and happier, and can pump out your unique unit without costing population.

Also, that Grandbazzar is very punchy - amenities, resources plus base gold.

Pretty much all of his abilities are towards war, but I guess it's okay, we didn't have a pure Domination civ in GS, apart from Hungary to some extent.

They've made the Janissaries interesting at least thematically. Another thing with the Ottomans will be a distinction between cities you've settled and those you've conquered. I wonder if there will be an UI indication somewhere.

They're good and they're strong, but so, so, so BORING. -_- Oh well, extra loyalty and an amenity in conquered cities is hilariously overpowered, at least Dom will be significantly less tedious than it normally is.

Grand Vizier looks powerful alright, though it requires 3 governor promotions. Plus if you are not a warmonger it won't do you much good.

Well, Ottomans are designed for the wamonger. If you place the unique governor in the civ you are conquering, you will be able to gobble up their cities much quicker.

Very cool civ. Ibrahim looks awesome, and I also noticed that he has a 3-turn establishment rate like Victor, so he is fairly mobile too.

Also, Civ6’s Suleiman model is, I daresay, much better than Civ5’s, which is saying something given how the art direction is quite different between the two games. While I’ve gotten used to the more cartoon appearance of Civ6’s leaderheads, Suleiman actually looks more vicious and regal than his earlier incarnation. Props!

"Cities not founded by the Ottomans gain +1 Amenity and +4 Loyalty per turn."

This is a powerful ability, it should really help you keep conquered cities. The Ottomans are a domination focused Civ for sure. I play peaceful (since the current AI can't war effectively ATM) but the Ottomans will be a good opponent to have.

Wonder what his agenda is. Hates people exerting loyalty pressure on him? Hates people settled on coasts? Really wish some of those UG promotions were for everybody...

Phoenicia must be really freaking cool to follow this up.

The unique governor help a bit with diplomacy and alliance, everything else is domination focused. Cool design for a domination Civ though I prefer Civs that are more flexible and have advantages for at least two victory types.

I am not so impressed given that combat bonuses during late game aren´t so important. A unique musketman is good since no resources are required (in GS as well?) but since it consumes a population I guess it has to be hard built. Not so good.

Top Bottom