1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] The Ottomans Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Jan 22, 2019.

1. KayAU

KayAU Chieftain

Well...this is probably the new civ I'm the least excited about so far. Not because it looks like a bad design or anything, but because it is all about conquest and domination, which are among my least favorite parts of the game. Some early thoughts:
    • I like the idea of having a unique governor, and Ibrahim looks very powerful
    • The Ottomans seem to be more or less immune to loyalty pressure
    • They are geared towards capturing cities rather than settling them, which is already the more efficient way to do things
    • They will benefit from the buff to pillaging
    • Although they may not get a lot in the very earliest parts of the game, the unique Governor, the boost to siege units, and the extra amenity and loyalty in conquered cities will give them something if they do early conquest, which is already an efficient thing to do
    Yeah, so this is not really my cup of tea. Suleiman seems like the kind of neighbor I would eliminate early, even if I were playing a mostly peaceful game.

2. pgm123

pgm123 Warlord

I'm not sure Suleiman is for you if you're not a warmonger. That said, this would be a great civ to mod in a peaceful alternate leader. I know some mods exist, so they'll just need to be re-balanced.

ShahJahanII likes this.
  3. Basileus Rhomaion

Basileus Rhomaion Chieftain

A more correct translation would be "Caesar of the Romans". "Rum" as a topographical term referred mostly to Anatolia via Arabic providence, while "Rum" is also the ethnic term used for Greek-speaking Anatolians/Eastern Orthodox folk in general. The title was taken up for legitimacy purposes (the Patriarch of Constantinople nominally "coronated" each Sultan to pledge allegiance).

Elhoim likes this.
  4. Pistol90

Pistol90 Chieftain

Not too powerful if you ask me. You only need to stop them at Renaissance era and they dont have anything else basicly

5. bite

bite Unoffical Civilization Geographer Moderator

Stockholm has the new wonder

6. GoodSarmatian

GoodSarmatian Temporary Pattern...reassembling...

First thoughts:
    Too war foused for me. I prefer civs who have more than one specialty.

I really hope there's a way to get rid of Ibrahim in your city. Either a spy mission, or he's expelled if you send one of your own governors there.

Ibrahim ?
    This Ibrahim ?
    Nice to see a governor based on an actual historical person. I wish there were more of those.

nzcamel likes this.
  7. monstercat

monstercat Chieftain

R.I.P Mehmed II[pissed]

(Anyone else think he might have been better for a change of scene?)

8. Kimiimaro

Kimiimaro King

This is the perfect chance to add "likes conquerors". I mean, we have "loves war" Gorgo, "ultra lover war" Gorgo 2.0 Alexander and "loves wide Civs" Trajan, but we have no "loves leaders which conquered other cities".

9. Wielki Hegemon

Wielki Hegemon Chieftain

+20% faster production of units granted from Grand Vizier is a strong stand-alone ability. You can have it straight after Craftmanship and State Workforce Civic. So basically you get an early game boost of unit production. I cant wait to play... against them
    And then a winged hussars arrived.

nzcamel, Caprikel, CPWimmer and 9 others like this.
  10. Leathaface

Leathaface Warlord

I agree. I was hoping for a Science focused Civ since we have Maori, Canada and Sweden who all perform well at Culture.

I play peaceful so I was looking at the Ottomans from that viewpoint. But alas, as you say, the Ottomans are pure warmongers.

AvianBritish likes this.
  11. Kaan Boztepe

Kaan Boztepe Chieftain

Kayser'i Rum : the ottoman sultans declared themselves to be the heirs of Rome after the conquest of Constantinople ( since the Byzantines had declared themselves the heirs previously ).
    A warmonger Civ that starts after gunpowder in a snowball game. Granted if they start rolling as soon as they have researched gunpowder no one will be able to stop them but still considering how much alexander and gilgabro can have snowballed out of controlled not sure if it will ever be a top tier civ.

12. Grumpbeard

Grumpbeard Chieftain

Minor point, I guess, but does he get the era score when he gets 7 governors out, or does he have to get all 8?

13. CivLuvah

CivLuvah Warlord

For me this is a good civ overall when it comes to domination, especially the cheap siege units.

If Ibrahim was a real person, then why not use Roxelana instead?

14. bite

bite Unoffical Civilization Geographer Moderator

Our_DeCay and nzcamel like this.
  15. pgm123

pgm123 Warlord

I don't think we ever had a reason to think she would get a unit. Victoria gets a unit, so you don't want to be duplicative for England. As long as she has an awesome ability, we should be good.

nzcamel, Noble Zarkon and Hawke9 like this.
  16. Portinou

Portinou Chieftain

1. It does not consume population in conquered cities, i.e. most of your cities as a domination civ.

2. You should build bazaars everywhere during renaissance so that you can purchase janissaries instead of producing them.

nzcamel, Tiger Genocide and Kimiimaro like this.
  17. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Warlord

I dare say that every civ in this expansion (with the possible exception of Canada) is better designed than almost all the older civs (with the exception of a few) in terms of cohesiveness. I wonder how much of a redo some of the older civs have had.

18. KayAU

KayAU Chieftain

That makes sense, but at least it will be cheaper, and you are generally encouraged to conquer more than settle (even more so than usual), so in many of your cities it will not cost population.

19. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

Yes, for those thinking the Ottomans don't get any bonuses until mid-game, you can get Ibrahim in the Ancient Era with his unit production bonus and rush your neighbors.

Pietato, Jkchart, nzcamel and 3 others like this.
  20. Legacy of Smiles

Legacy of Smiles Chieftain

As an FYI, the governor only takes 3 turns to establish.