1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Realms Beyond - Succession Game Discussions

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Succession Games' started by Sirian, Oct 24, 2005.

1. RRnut

RRnut Civanator

Can I still sign up for the cultural cities game? I've won both a cultural victory on noble and a victory on monarch, so I think that's good.

... Another lurker lured out into the open... :)

2. Sullla

Sullla Patrician Roman Dictator

That would be an interesting idea to try. I don't plan on captaining such a game, but I bet there'd be a lot of interest in that. A game of Civ3 old hands who deliberately make all the wrong assumptions about Civ4 would make for a very entertaining variant game. I've got something slightly different in mind for my next game though. :)

More lurkers emerging from the shadows! Welcome! :D

3. Sirp

Sirp Emperor

Well, whenever you start it I'm interested, providing I haven't been sucked into another SG in the meantime. :)

-Sirp.

4. Sirian

Sirian Designer, Mohawk Games

Hey, don't look at me! My original Training game was 2/3rds focused on how to micromanage effectively, and most of that is moot in Civ4. :cool:

Those games also came like ten months after the initial game was released!

I actually think it's not the best idea, in the short term. You only get to be a Civ4 newbie once. Don't rush your way through it!

- Sirian

5. ToddMarshall

ToddMarshall Maniac - Stellar Wingman

@ - WeakCiv There is still a spot open in the Culture game if you want it and if you meet the requirements.

@ - RRnut - Welcome aboard!

Provisional Roster -Full-: (not in any particular order)
    Maniac
    Speaker
    MeteorPunch
    Sirp
    WeakCiv?
    RRnut

I'm expecting this to be a low time commitment game as it nears completion (unlike most SG's), but we'll see :)

When the patch comes out, I'll let you know about a start date.

-Maniac

6. Kylearan

Kylearan compound eye

Hi,

there are two planned RB succession games at the moment: Sirian's "luring out some fresh blood" game, and Maniac's rather extreme variant game (must...resist...urge...to...join...). Both are not really open for everyone, so I thought about starting another game if there's enough interest.

It's still too early to explore variant-land in my opinion. Most people are still playing continents, archipelago or pangea on Noble or Monarch, and I don't think we've explored the game enough for it to be boring already. ;) So I'd like to play a standard game, but on some of the more innovative map types. I've played on the Highland map already, and I'd like to explore the Ice Age or Oasis map next, slightly preferring Oasis.

Level of difficulty would be anything between Prince and Emperor, although Emperor would probably scare away too many people so I'd favour Monarch (but Prince would be okay, too).

Leader would be up to debate as well, except Arabia, Rome and Aztecs which I just have played.

Anyone interested? New players are especially welcome, although I'd like to see some old faces as well. :) And in case you're not sure if you could handle the map or difficulty: Remember that you're in a team, which effectively lowers the level by one. And if you're afraid of making mistakes, rest assured that we all make them, especially since the game is still so new, and that nobody will frown upon you. It's still a learning experience for all of us! :goodjob:

-Kylearan

7. jameson

jameson Emperor

Count me in :). I've only tried the lakes custom map, which made for an excellent game (which had to end in diplomatic victory because of the lack of oil for conquest/domination ). I was surprised to find it did wrap east-west though !

Monarch will be fine. I have no preferences for a civ yet, though I think an expansive civ would do better on this map.
    From the map guide, it seems like a good idea to swap our team number with the next AI so we don't know where we start out.

8. weakciv

weakciv Prince

@ ToddMarshall
    Thanks. I guess I missed that it was still open. However I think I qualify more for Sirian's "New Blood". I've never done an SG and would like to get my feet wet before tackleing a variant.

@ Sirian
    If there is room I would like to join the "New Blood" SG.

EDIT:Well dang. I just noticed that the roster is full for that. oh well.

9. Snaproll

Snaproll Hamster Sidekick

I'd like to sign up for your game Kylearan, and I'd even be open to Emperor! :cool:

10. hiob

hiob Chieftain

i'd like to join your game too kylearan, would prefer monarch

11. dopplex

dopplex Chieftain

@Kylearan

I'd be interested in your game - I'm a total SG newbie though (came late to Sirian's signup). Chances are I'd be one of the weaker players though - I play SP on Noble usually, though I'm probably ready for a move up to Prince, and hence in a SG, maybe I'm ready for a bit above that even... Who knows?

In any case, interested if you'd have me.

12. Zeviz

Zeviz Prince

Here is another newbie lured here by Sirian and Sulla's Cuban game. :)

Kylearan, I'd like to join your game, if you don't mind a completely new player. (I've only played a few SP games on Prince, although I am thinking of moving up to Monarch in my SP games.) As for overall experience, I've played Alpha Centauri and MoM, but not any previous Civilization games.

13. Ragnoff

Ragnoff Warlord

This sounds very interesting, and I would love to join a game trying one of those maps. I have not tried a game higher than Noble yet, but (gulp) nothing ventured...

14. ToddMarshall

ToddMarshall Maniac - Stellar Wingman

Edit: Well, weakciv, let me know if your in or out. When I first read it, I thought you were out, but now I'm not sure and don't want to drop you if you ARE interested. Maybe Kyleran's game would be a better fit? I'll work with you as I DO want you included in one of the games soon. If you ARE in, then everyone can disregard what I said below

OK, thats cool weakciv. Maybe you should play kylearans game (I'm sure he'd let you in considering how you keep just missing games)

We'll go with a roster of 5 then. I'll take one alternate if anyone wants to sign up for that. The alternate can play for people who need "skips" if they can get it right away, so will likely get at least one turn. They'll also take over if anyone has to drop out.

[rant] Thats IF Take 2 ever decides to do their job. So far their "QA" has been anything but from the word go :( [/rant]

Also, I'd underestimated the ammount of interest in a generic game I suppose (I kind of thought with 2 of the 3 RB2 games, the RB3 game, and most of Lee's games stalled, that interest had waned in the "just win" games).

Since I see thats not the case, I'll open a 2nd game myself once I get moved and set up in a few weeks (please dont sign up for this yet!!). It may have a small ammount of varient (like a specific vic condition preference), or be on monarch or prince, but wont be an extreme varient.

@ The good wizard of skara brae ;) - Originally this game wasn't going to be this much of a varient. I was going to do a 5CC (which isn't that much of a handicap), then it was going to be 5CC, can't make settlers (I've allways like the no settlers, rather than OCC, varient rule), Then a 3CC with all 18 civs.... But heck, everyones DONE something similar or exactly like those allready. So in my quest to be diffrent, this is what I arrived at (with some advice from Speaker).

I also wasn't sure an entirely peaceful SG with 3 cities would be exciting, and wanted a little :hammer: too :) If you don't change your mind and decide to join, I hope you'll feel free to lurk. Your experience with the 3CC game will be very helpful I'm sure :)

-Maniac

15. Kylearan

Kylearan compound eye

So the oasis or ice age game will have the following players:

Kylearan
    jameson
    Snaproll
    hiob
    dopplex

Normally I like 5 players for SGs, but given the high number of interested players a sixth player is okay too. If weakciv wants to join, he's in (he's waiting for so long now...); if he prefers to join Maniac's game, Zeviz would be in. (sorry Ragnoff, hope to catch you next time!)

Looks like it will be the oasis map on monarch if nobody objects. (No worries dopplex! You'll be fine :) ).

The only preference voiced was that we should play an expansive civ, which is fine by me. That would be Victoria (fin), Bismarck (ind), Genghis (agg), Cyrus (cre), Peter (phi) or Isabella (spi).

Hm...Victoria would mean emphasis on cottages and probably managing a tech lead. Bismarck would involve building lots of wonders, Genghis would suggest lots of war, Peter lots of great people, and Isabella maybe going for an early religion or two. Cyrus would just be nice for new-founded cities and sparking tension because of close borders. :p

My vote would be Cyrus. Other votes?

I'll open the thread tomorrow and will post the starting position there for some initial discussion.

-Kylearan

16. Kylearan

Kylearan compound eye

Hi,

Yeah, someone old enough to remember this... :hammer:

You bet I'll lurk! I love crazy variants and will monitor your game closely. I would have joined, but I felt going for variants now would leave too many other people behind...and 3 SGs are way too many for me. :)

-Kylearan

17. jameson

jameson Emperor

Cyrus gets my vote too.

One other question: do we patch ? From a quick browse of the release thread, reviews are somewhat mixed for the patch's effect on performance and my CIV runs just fine like it is (though I like the gameplay changes in the patch).

18. Jkaen

Jkaen Warlord

It was my understanding the patch was what we were waiting for, i have patched already

19. zagaz

zagaz Chieftain

Same here, all patched up and ready to go!

20. Kylearan

Kylearan compound eye

Hi,

I have patched already, so I'm afraid the answer would be yes. ;)

-Kylearan