The Realms Beyond - Succession Game Discussions

Reading post 1 brings up an interesting point - technically I could start a RB SG. Of course, that would conflict with the LK series. ;)

Ok, now I feel really dumb, one of the places i should have checked and did not.

I'll probably start looking to join a SG around mid-January, so hopefully there will be some new games starting up around then. :) Of course there will also be an Epic I can potentially take part in by then too, or so I anticipate.

The problem is not lack of time for Moo and Civ, so much as that I've been out of town and away from my comp a lot recently (and am off again tomorrow for another week.) When I get back, I should have enough time for both Moo and Civ SGs.

Squeezing in Epics and Adventures on top of that might be another matter, though... :D

Masters of Orion, the first two iterations of which are masterful pieces of TBS games.

RB has been running succession games for Master of Orion (the original) here at Civfanatics in the 'Other Games' section for a while. If you are interested, feel free to check them out.

I'm planning on starting up a new game (RB9, I guess) shortly and am looking for signups. Here's the game concept:

RB9: Cottage Cheese
This is the antithesis of Arathorn's No Cottage Challenge! :lol: The rules are as follows:
1) Every flatland tile gets a cottage.
2) Every hill tile gets a windmill.
3) Universal Suffrage is permitted (and encouraged!) but NO rushing builds with cash. The goal is to have to overcome limited production, not buy everything in sight.

We are allowed to build farms/mines/etc. ONLY to hook up resources (this is not intended to be a resource-less challenge). Obviously some locations are going to be drastically short of food in this game, so city placement will be extremely important. Every city must work a cottage or windmill tile if possible (obviously early on there will be some tiles that won't be improved, but we have to rectify that situation as soon as possible. No sandbagging on that!) Commerce will be disgustingly high, but production will be limited, at least until we get some towns + Universal Suffrage. This could prove to be a very easy game... or it might not if an aggressive AI civ thinks that we'd make a tasty snack. We'll have to play it by ear and see what happens.

Civ: America, Washington (Mmm, American cheese! :p)
Map: Tilted Axis, Pangaea version
Difficulty: Monarch
Other: Random AI Personalities, Raging Barbs. Be prepared for a wild opening! :crazyeye:

Roster
Sullla
Conroe
Garath
Bede
Methos

Four open spots, now filled. Some experience with Monarch or above is recommended however, since this is a variant game and might get interesting. There is also a place reserved for The Caltrop if he is interested (we talked a few weeks ago about running a different kind of SG, but I decided to go in a different direction. Spot's saved for you though if you want it!) That's all I can think of at the moment, once I get a full roster I'll generate a save and get us started. :)

I reckon I can handle a second SG, so I'd love a spot in RB9. I've played a won some Monarch games (and lost some), but haven't tried anything above yet, I'm still trying out too many new things, getting distracted playing Adventures, that kind of thing :D

--Garath

I'd love a slot, Sulla. Sounds like the moneychangers will take over the temple in this one.

I pretty much give up on scoring a berth on an RB branded SG as my luck in lottery situations is the pits :lol:

sucks to have to work at a place with no personailzed internet access!

I'll see about an officialy rBranded sg in about 2007, in the mean time let me embarrass myself in peasant SG's :D

Lots of room in the Master of Orion sg's to play with a legend like zed. :gush:

plus, I may suck Luv muf into the time pit known only as moo.

Cheers!
-Liq

If there's interest, I'll steal the RB10 slot number for a 'regular' SG.

Update: Changed refuse to give into demand to optional, added Zeviz to roster

The Elitist Hegemony:
--A worker theft challenge

Prince difficulty
Small to Standard Map (Depending on script)

Variant Rules:
No building workers.
You are encouraged to poach lesser (other) civilizations' workers.

Optional:
No switching to emancipation until Capital has reached 1/3 its population in 'we demand emancipation' unhappiness.

You do not give into to demands for tribute or change of religion. Feel free to tell other Civs to 'shove it'.

This is not a no-worker challenge, this is a greatly reduced worker challenge. Only keep workers you've poached. I'm not insane enough to play without workers entirely, though someone else might be able to take up that flag of destiny. This variant will be difficult at almost any level, as you'll always have a small workforce.

Spirit:
We're snooty hegemony. We don't do work ourselves, and we don't tolerate the 'lower' civs making demands on us. We don't bow down, we conquer! Scoff at enemy civs, bring them down to their knees!

But which civs and leaders are snooty, slavey enough?

Potential civs:

Classical Civs of the Meditteranean: Persia, Egypt, Greece, Rome... they were all slavers. Some great UU's. Not very arrogant looking, and Immortals might be too powerful.

Incans:
Financial trait interesting with this startup UU. Nice for small land map

Victoria: Pax Britanica anyone? Financial also nicely nerfed with reduced cottages and resource placements. The pirate in me just wants

Montezuma, of the Aztecs:
I personally want nothing to do with him, but he fits the bill for slaver
--Great for Tropical maps with his resourceless jaguar

Napoleon of France: Arrogant, great traits, but french slavers? Something sounds odd.
--Musketeers so-so, but not helpful early on. Worker snatching potential however.

Khans, Ghengis and Kublai of Mongolia:
Very useful UU, very nice Agg trait. Not so much slavers as raze and enslave whatever's left. Definite potential.

Tokugawa, of Japan:
Arrogant, Isolationist, has that wonderful aggressive trait. I think we possible winner.

Isabella, lovely, demanding, insane conquerer, great UU. Not a bad choice at all. Again with the pirate theme, spanish galleons over the carribean sea.

So, my questions are:
1) Is there interest in this no-worker build variant?
2) Which Leader would you enjoy most (of the above list)?

If there's interest, I'm looking for at at the following roster:

1. Drasca
2. Liqudated
3. Zeviz
4. _______
5. _______

Alternates
1. _______
2. _______

24 Hour "Got it" / 72 Hour Play and game report.

Top Bottom