The thread for space cadets!

Because it's an independent observation of something previously only seen in Hubble Space Telescope images. So basically the former, more confirmation that Europa is an ice-covered ocean world and not a dead rock that it was thought to be for decades.

maybe those pressures need to be high to withstand the pressures found in stars

No, protons withstand the high pressure in start because of electrostatic repulsion, because they all have a positive charge. Once two protons come close enough for these pressures to matter, they essentially have fused already and aren't really protons anymore.

what would happen to protons without those high pressures? Could stars even form if protons couldn't resist their pressure?

Without that pressure, protons might become unstable and decay. The universe might not contain any baryons at all and just consist of leptons and/or gamma rays. That would prevent the formation of stars, because there wouldn't be any hydrogen.

Everyone pay more attention to our $150 billion space station!

Live feed:

Live Ground tracking:
http://www.isstracker.com/

Also, why the orbit looks like a sine wave
Spoiler :
TIL why spacecraft orbits look like sine waves on a map.
https://twitter.com/fermatslibrary/status/916327081662857219

I guess there's no upside to orbiting over the north or south pole.
And because the Earth rotates, you eventually get satellite coverage like this :D
https://goo.gl/images/Mgo1QU
Circles the world every 93 minutes

**Edit**
Curses!
That live feed is only during daylight, so 45 minutes when in the darkness they just use recycled footage because the real feed goes down. :mad:

Try this for the real live feed:

https://eol.jsc.nasa.gov/ESRS/HDEV/

Last edited:
Ariane Group head Alain Charmeau gave an interview here (unfortunately only in German):
http://www.spiegel.de/wissenschaft/...europa-aus-dem-weltraum-kicken-a-1207322.html

The title translates to "The Americans want to kick Europe out of space" and he complains multiple times that SpaceX offers launches to Europeans under price, because the American government buys overpriced launches from SpaceX and doesn't buy those from Ariane. He follows with the plea that European governments should buy Ariane rockets to keep the European rocket industry alive (which Europe needs, because...Space!)

He brushes reusabilty aside with the argument that if the rockets were reusable he wouldn't have enough rockets to build and his employees wouldn't have anything to do. That sounds quite backwards to me and of the entitlement feeling to overpriced government contracts that seems prevalent around military contractors.

That's a really dumb, self-serving take on what's going on. Civil (NASA) and military launches from SpaceX do cost more than commercial launches because of a huge regulatory and technical burden that the government places on those launches. The government asks for (and pays for) far more oversight into those launches and levies a ton of technical requirements that the commercial market doesn't want or need. This does not subsidize SpaceX commercial launches - if anything it adds to the overhead burden of the company because they end up having multiple workflows (and engineers) working on government-specific issues that have no carry-over to the commercial side. It is also worth pointing out that even with these extra costs, SpaceX comes in well under cost of ULA (their main American competitor for these launches).

Further, this whole train of thought completely overlooks the massive, direct subsidies that Ariane has enjoyed (and will continue to enjoy) from their European government partners. I'm not complaining about that - every launcher in history has enjoyed government support at various levels that usually approach massive subsidies - but it's really disingenuous to complain about higher costs for extra services while ignoring their own, more direct government support. I remember reading at one point that Ariane didn't make a profit most of the years it's been active but I don't know if that's actually true or even if we could really know that for sure given how proprietary and obfuscated that sort of information is.

His comments on re-use to me come off as tacit admission that re-usability works and will undermine their ability to compete in the market and therefore they will need more direct support going forward.

And no one told them they had to start contracting with Russia to launch a good chunk of their contracts! Like they took work out of their own scope and handed it to foreign nationals and have the gall to admit they won't have enough work going forward under current market conditions. It's kind of crazy.

Oh god. It's hard for me to put into words how much I despise this kind of protectionist crap. Odds are he'll probably also find more than a few European politicians to go along with it and there'll be yet another edition in that endless line of industrial actions plans.

gotta give a shout out to local guy

Dr. Brian Thomas, an astrophysicist at Washburn University in Kansas, USA, modeled the biological impacts at the Earth's surface, based on geologic evidence of nearby supernovae 2.5 million and 8 million years ago. In his latest paper, Thomas investigated cosmic rays from the supernovae as they propagated through our atmosphere to the surface, to understand their effect on living organisms.

https://phys.org/news/2018-05-supernovae-responsible-mass-extinctions.html

Ariane Group head Alain Charmeau gave an interview here (unfortunately only in German):
http://www.spiegel.de/wissenschaft/...europa-aus-dem-weltraum-kicken-a-1207322.html

The title translates to "The Americans want to kick Europe out of space" and he complains multiple times that SpaceX offers launches to Europeans under price, because the American government buys overpriced launches from SpaceX and doesn't buy those from Ariane. He follows with the plea that European governments should buy Ariane rockets to keep the European rocket industry alive (which Europe needs, because...Space!)

He brushes reusabilty aside with the argument that if the rockets were reusable he wouldn't have enough rockets to build and his employees wouldn't have anything to do. That sounds quite backwards to me and of the entitlement feeling to overpriced government contracts that seems prevalent around military contractors.
Also this is just a lie. A NASA sensor just flew on a satellite launched by Ariane. NASA paid (really bartered) for cargo to be launched to the ISS on the Ariane at a far higher cost than what they pay for SpaceX and Orbital ATK for cargo. NASA also contracted with the Europeans for the service module for the Orion capsule which will likely mean European astronauts will fly on American rockets.

I also don't know why he feels entitled to complain about national security satellites being launched solely on American rockets. I mean our private companies couldn't even launch communications satellites on Chinese rockets without having their technology stolen.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/science/energy/a20730787/pressure-proton-neutron-star/

amazing... the pressure inside a proton are higher than inside a neutron star

maybe those pressures need to be high to withstand the pressures found in stars

what would happen to protons without those high pressures? Could stars even form if protons couldn't resist their pressure?

Black holes would form more easily I suppose. Only lower mass stars would form and the rest would be black holes. Or they'd all be black holes, depending how big a change you make.

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2018...gets-more-evidence-from-weird-space-rock.html

The newfound asteroid, called 2015 BP519, adds to a growing body of evidence about little worlds in the solar system being perturbed by something big. Astronomers detailed its discovery and description in a new paper, adding that its bizarre angle of its orbit gives more weight to the idea that a big planet is out there — somewhere — tugging on the asteroid's path around the sun.

Another theory says this 9th planet might be responsible for the solar system's tilt... The planets (with the exception of Mercury) dont orbit the sun's equatorial plane - something has dragged them off it. A large 9th planet on a tilted orbit might be responsible. Perhaps a planet captured from beyond the solar system early on when our sun was part of a family of newborn stars. I believe there's a decent chance we captured this planet from a nearby supernova or precursor solar system. The article also speculates this early configuration of familial stars could be responsible for these Kuiper Belt members with tilted orbits and not necessarily a 9th planet.

Astronomers found the first permanent extra-solar object. It is an asteroid that Jupiter caught in a retorgrade orbit about itself.

Edit: Is this the same rock from @Berzerker's link?

China just launched a relay satellite to talk to a lander they will put on the dark side of the moon. No one has done that before.

Last edited:
No, different rock

INTERSTELLAR ORIGIN
The presence of 2015 BZ509 in retrograde co-orbital resonance early in the Solar system’s timeline is unexpected from the standpoint of Solar system formation theory as retrograde Centaurs are believed to originate in the scattered disc or the Oort cloud well after the planets settled down dynamically (Brasser et al. 2012). Furthermore, planet formation models cannot produce such a primordial large inclination orbit as that of 2015 BZ509 with the planets on nearly coplanar orbits interacting with a coplanar debris disc that must produce the low inclination small body reservoirs of the Solar system such as the asteroid and Kuiper belts (Pfalzner et al. 2015). This implies that 2015 BZ509 was captured from the interstellar medium. In this respect, even the low-probability long-lived orbits found in the scattered disc and Oort cloud regions (Fig. 2) should have an interstellar origin because of their location and high inclinations at the end of planet formation.

https://academic.oup.com/mnrasl/article/477/1/L117/4996014

Whats interesting about it is the long term stability of its orbit... And it might be related to retrograde long term comets typically associated with the Oort Cloud. If this asteroid can come from outside the system, why not retrograde comets?

I think this 9th planet might have a retrograde orbit too, but time will tell. We keep charting asteroids and they'll lead us to it eventually.

Black holes would form more easily I suppose. Only lower mass stars would form and the rest would be black holes. Or they'd all be black holes, depending how big a change you make.

2018 is the year for Black Holes! :D

A star called S2 which is 14 times larger than our Sun is going to whip past the black hole in the center of our galaxy again this month or next month. (I can't find the actual month? :confused:)
It is the best direct proof that black holes really exist.
As S2 races around the black hole this year at 2% the speed of light, scientists can test general relativity predictions again.

Here is a video from the last time it happened 16 years ago.

That star completely changed the direction it was traveling over a few weeks!
To fling it like that would require a star 4 million times more massive than our Sun, but the thing that altered S2's direction could not be seen. :eek:
So, it had to be a black hole!

http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/a-star...a-monster-black-hole-astronomers-are-ready-to
The radial velocity (the speed toward and away from Earth) of the star S2 as it orbits around the Milky Way’s supermassive black hole Sgr A*. In a matter of weeks it went from 4,000 km/sec away from us to 2,000 km/sec toward us, a change of 6,000 km/sec due to the black hole’s gravity. Credit: Chu et al.

The speed of light is 299,792 km/sec, so a change of 6,000 km/sec over a few weeks for a STAR is simply ridiculous.

Also, the eggheads made a virtual telescope the size of Earth and took a picture with it, so we might get a picture of the event horizon this year too.
https://eventhorizontelescope.org/blog/eht-status-update-may-1-2018
EHT Status Update, May 1 2018

May 1, 2018

Very Long Baseline Interferometry (VLBI), the technique used by the EHT to create a virtual Earth-sized dish, has been called the ‘ultimate in delayed gratification’ among astronomers. Radio waves from the edge of a distant supermassive black hole are captured using dishes around the world and the signals stored on banks of hard disk drives. It is only after these disks are brought together, and the stored signals properly combined, that we can achieve a magnifying power equivalent to a telescope that spans the distance between the participating radio dishes. Frustratingly for EHT scientists (and others!), this process takes time.

For one, while the EHT has had data for many months from most of the dishes we used in 2017, disks from the South Pole arrived only in mid December 2017, and have since been properly combined with data from other telescopes. So there has been a long and unavoidable wait to assemble the full data set for one of our primary supermassive black hole targets: Sgr A* at the center of the Milky Way.

Apart from this logistical delay, the EHT team has spent many months first studying the combined data to make sure that all the detrimental effects that could degrade the event horizon image are fully understood. These effects include turbulence in the Earth’s atmosphere as well as random noise and spurious signals added by our own instrumentation. To do this, we use EHT observations of bright quasars (much more distant and brighter cosmic sources observed along with our main targets: Sgr A* and the more massive black hole in galaxy M 87) to calibrate the array. These are sources that have known structure -- or appearance on the sky -- so astronomers can estimate the instrumental effects and compensate for them as they analyze and make images from the raw data.

EHT scientists have been using data from these calibrators to refine techniques for processing the combined data into images. Independent teams within the EHT have developed novel algorithms to convert the raw VLBI data into maps of radio emission on the sky. Using EHT data on the quasars to test these new methods, the teams are all now producing very similar images, giving us confidence that the tools developed over the past year are robust enough to be applied to Sgr A* and M 87 -- black holes large enough that we may be able to see ’silhouettes’ of their event horizons.

Though our EHT collaboration has grown to now include over 200 members, many of us have been occupied recently with planning and carrying out new observations this month. Since we can observe only once per year, during a period of good weather at both Northern and Southern hemisphere sites, many of us have to divert our attention to planning global operations. This April the EHT re-observed Sgr A* and M 87 using an array that included a telescope in Greenland for the first time and captured twice the amount of data recorded in 2017. These new observations, with a greatly improved EHT, will allow us to study changes in our target black hole sources, as well as confirm any results from the 2017 data.

From the outset, the EHT was conceived as a long-term project that would continue to observe black holes and improve the global array over many years. Unlike the amazing black hole mergers detected by LIGO (the Laser Interferometer Gravitational-Wave Observatory), which are events that are over in fractions of a second, the EHT targets can be studied indefinitely. We plan on observing Sgr A* and M 87 each year with an enhanced EHT, because realizing the project’s science goals may require data from multiple annual campaigns. To do this, we have built up over the past year a robust framework that allows the EHT scientists, from over 12 countries and 30 institutes, to work together on instrumentation, observation, theory and simulations.

As the EHT team begins to analyze the 2017 data on Sgr A* and M 87 over the coming months, preliminary images will begin to emerge, and the searches for the signatures of orbiting material around the black holes will be conducted. It is the most exciting time of the project. We will be sure to share what we find after we have put the data and analysis methods through stringent tests to convince ourselves, and independent astronomy colleagues, of what these horizon-resolving observations tell us.

Shep Doeleman,
EHT Director

Also, Hubble may have observed a Black Hole forming directly.
http://www.astronomy.com/news/2017/05/black-hole-sun

Last edited:
Here is a list of nearest stars if you ever want to go star trekking.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_nearest_stars_and_brown_dwarfs

Kind of crazy how stars move around.
70,000 years ago, Scholz's Star was less than 1 light year from Earth, but now it is 20 light years away!

Here is a better stellar cartography map if you don't give a crap about Brown Dwarfs (big Jupiters).
There are depressingly few G type stars like our Sun nearby.
Everything is freaking Red Dwarfs. :(

Stars within 12 Light Years

http://www.atlasoftheuniverse.com/12lys.html

Stars within 20 Light Years

http://www.atlasoftheuniverse.com/20lys.html

Stars within 50 Light Years (only shows star systems visible to naked eye, so only 10% of the 1400ish star systems :o)
http://www.atlasoftheuniverse.com/50lys.html

Last edited:
70,000 years ago, Scholz's Star was less than 1 light year from Earth, but now it is 20 light years away

That means it took on average ~3,700 years to travel 1 light year (relative to us)

Which means that the average speed was 9461000000000 / 32273684.2105 km/h

Which is 293,149 km/h

I probably did the math wrong somewhere, but for comparison the speed of Voyager 1 is 62,140 km/h

That's pretty cool overall, but seemed crazy at first glance. But if that's the speed, then that seems reasonable

I read that paper is pretty controversial. There are a lot of dissenting opinions. I wouldn't consider it settled yet.

That means it took on average ~3,700 years to travel 1 light year (relative to us)

Which means that the average speed was 9461000000000 / 32273684.2105 km/h

Which is 293,149 km/h

I probably did the math wrong somewhere, but for comparison the speed of Voyager 1 is 62,140 km/h

That's pretty cool overall, but seemed crazy at first glance. But if that's the speed, then that seems reasonable
Do your calculations account for the movement of the solar system during this time interval as well?

But that's only ~5 times solar escape velocity so it's not insane in the scheme of things. Still far beyond human reference frames of reference.

Which is 293,149 km/h

I was going to reply and say that that could not possibly be right until I forced myself to carefully read the rest of your comment and understood you meant 293 thousand km/h. I thought you meant 293 km/h.

Top Bottom