The thread for space cadets!

So I know I posted a picture up thread of the lander that was said to have been bid by Dynetics and SNC, but now Space News has a new illustration up for the same story. So I'm not sure what happened. I guess they got the wrong copy and went to press with it. This is the design and I think it's actually cooler and very Kerbal

In fact if you go back to the link I posted before, it now takes you to this image. Good thing I manually copied over the original for us to look at! When I saw that original image though, I thought it looked odd for a manned vehicle.

I bet that original photo was a cargo proposal based on the Dream Chaser's aft cargo unit that they are marketing as the 'Shooting Star' module per this article. That link even says they were thinking about lunar landers, so I bet someone sent the wrong lander image to Space News for the article - they sent SNC's lunar cargo lander design instead of the Dynetics/SNC's manned lander design.

Such sleuthing...

This is SNC's Dream Chaser, which is designed for cargo runs to the ISS. The Shooting Star Module is the box at the back with the solar panels. It gets discarded after every launch and can be used for trash disposal. They say the design is very flexible as it's effectively a separate satellite that they can re-purpose for other things like cargo lunar landers.

Basically, I'm saying that the gold box at the top of the lander in the spoilered image below is the same essential design as the white box on the back of the Dream Chaser above.
Spoiler :

@warpus because kerbal

Last edited:
If you were posting that in the All Things Star Wars Thread, I cannot see it because of the spoilers.
hush , you wanna work in aerospace or not ? 'Cause Pentagon doesn't like me .

Meteorite found nearly twice the age of the earth

Scientists analysing a meteorite have discovered the oldest material known to exist on Earth.
They found dust grains within the space rock - which fell to Earth in the 1960s - that are as much as 7.5 billion years old.
The oldest of the dust grains were formed in stars that roared to life long before our Solar System was born.

To work out how old the grains were, the researchers measured how long they had been exposed to cosmic rays in space. These rays are high-energy particles that travel through our galaxy and penetrate solid matter.
Some of these rays interact with the matter they encounter and form new elements. The longer they are exposed, the more of these elements form. The researchers used a particular form (isotope) of the element neon - Ne-21 - to date the grains.
"I compare this with putting out a bucket in a rainstorm. Assuming the rainfall is constant, the amount of water that accumulates in the bucket tells you how long it was exposed," said Dr Heck.
Measuring how many of the new elements are present tells scientists how long the grain was exposed to cosmic rays. This in turn informs them how old it is.
Some of the pre-solar grains turned out to be the oldest ever discovered.
Based on how many cosmic rays had interacted with the grains, most had to be 4.6-4.9 billion years old. For comparison, the Sun is 4.6 billion years old and the Earth is 4.5 billion.
However, the oldest yielded a date of around 7.5 billion years old.

The Murchison meteorite fell to Earth in 1969

So 7,500 million years. I think you guys are wasting the word billion. :shake:

I find that the long scale makes more sense. Bi-llion: twice times as many zeros as a million, so a million raised to the power of two; trillion a million raised to the power of three; quadrillion: of four; quintillion: of five...

In the short scale a quintillion is a thousand raised to the power of six... :dubious:

Last edited:
I'm not familiar with the long scale. I believe it's been explained to me before but I have a hard time grasping it. Unlike US customary units, the short scale feels natural.

starkiller base is alive and it moves closer by jumping and we heretics will all see what does it mean to laugh at any JJ Abrams movie .

well , the latest fashionable thing seems to be the drone invasion of the US . ı think Colorado is desert area close to Pacific , Nebraska must be close to Canada and flat or whatever and this blog says people have been seeing lights in the sky in the rural areas . "Obviously" a rogue corporation , because the blog loves to talk of mysterious happenings , though one would think he would be able to name everyone involved immediately . The next big thing must be autonomous hunter killer missions so with total Washington approval they are running tests . The lights are on because the Red Team on the ground must see them coming and hide so that software would be tested to the full . Actual reason for local Police banning people to fire on them , because doesn't everyone know Americans are gun crazy and would fire 105mm artillery at anything given the slightest permission , let alone hunting guns and AR-15s everyone has ? Also helps conditioning people because when [more] real fascism descends on the US , they will be zapping treehuggers and the like who have escaped to the mountains .

only one suspect thing . The company might even have Trump as a shareholder but there is this accusation that one drone almost brought down an air ambulance helicopter . American companies have no shame whatsoever so , ı don't know how the stigma of killing innocent people would stop them as in the local police shooting down a helicopter and framing the drones . ı know they are not mine , because you wouldn't see them in the first place

'Cause Pentagon doesn't like me .
proving to be a slow week , so let me tell why .

Spoiler :

because ı know people online . Take one , this Lord Vader guy in 1978 . So , Israel will invade Lebanon or has already done so and the talk is Russians might intervene like 1970 , in which they in one way or the other moderated the Israeli attrition of the Egyptians . Which then led to the Arab success in 1973 . So , it like falls to the RAF , just off the coast of Syria , trolling them Russkies to show up if they are man enough . Duly happens and let's call them Red 1 and 2 , welded wing , as in people used to do in WW II , almost wingtip to wingtip and the like , or whatever . This is also the debut year of AIM-9L , you know , the superduper famous all-aspect IR homer , which you can fire head-on and it will get the heat of the air friction on the enemy plane and unerringly will blow it up ! So , these Phantom guys are loaded with them "test" items sent direct from American stocks and they are staggered . One group mimicks an ordinary air patrol , other hides in the clutter of Cyprus to avoid detection by Syrian radars . Sides rush on each other at like 1000 knots combined , that's jet combat for you even if the Russkies are not aware of it yet , that weapons will fly ! So and soforth and RAF dude in the shadows fires while the lead group is just 45 degrees from the Russians and will they be ever amazed . Reds fire a "complex pattern" of flares . Nine Lima will write a gorious chapter in the annals of air warfare with Brits thrashing Argentinians and Israelis wiping out the Syrians , but Americans are like totally aghast , they rush Nine Mike , which is flare resistant . Years go by and Nine Papa which is even more flare resistant . Russians are falling like leaves in Afghanistan or maybe it's 1993 and Americans get hold of a box of Russian flares . You know , looks rusted , might leak stuff , might even explode in your hand while you were looking at it . Oh my , stone age flare dupes any AIM-9 fired ! Of brute power ! Missille head looks at it , looks at its intented target , which is some US drone to be shot down , thinks "This one is strong, other is weak, Russian engines are honking big and inefficient. So this one is my target." How come ? Full spec Russkies , fully capable and Moscow can not field them because they cost on the Western scale . So dumb flares , with some hope that they will be of some use . Cost America like "horrendously" with gold plated missiles . Whose fault ? Lord Vader's of course .

back to '78 . Because of the complex past of the 1920s and 1972 Helsinki Detant and whatever and stuff and the guy drops by at the house in the middle of the day to tell he is going to Moscow . Lady Vader has some dish the guy likes for dinner , he tells no problem he will eat that when he comes back the next day . No luggage but jacket and wallet and passport , off he goes . In some drab building to listen Russians brag of their computerized flares . Because Lord Vader happens to be a guy who listened Americans brag of their lazer guidance methods which were also proven in Vietnam , so that the Russians would hear . You see , nothing more than you would see on any internet blog these days and the guy doesn't remember ever saying the flares would be standart , he was convinced Russians were candid that they could produce them in series for global deployment . It fell to a far bigger bunch of people to decide whether they could without breaking the bank . A guy of intents and ideas and ways both sides could agree on or would nuke each other for good measure , right ?

times pass and New Turkey arrives and what they will brag about ? Will be that they are so rich that their people go a shop in the Saville Row and order 5 issues of the same suit to be sent to cities all across the globe and European newpapers call this wasting money , a scandalous attitude in the face of Global Warming because the newly rich can not be bothered with luggage ! Some Congregation dude just arrested yesterday with 127 million counterfeit dollars intented for Africa so like one never wonders how they became rich , too . And the Congregation , arresting people right and left , avoided doing things , calling America to do it themselves .

and also coincidental that ı skip through books about Iran . So , Humeyni , the guy who ruled Iran in the 1980s had the name Ruhallah , spirit of god and he was always wronged . Like he is just 25 and thinks one day he will rule the whole Iranian clergy and some official paper does not refer to him , because no one has ever heard of him at 25 . As the average age is like 70 ? Will hate it , will wow to bring down the system . He becomes the ruler of Iran , he keeps himself above all , because his reputation must not suffer if the new Goverment fails in any field and Saddam sends a note of congragulations to the new Goverment for bringing down the Shah and all that and because it was adressed to the Prime Minister , because Humeyni is intentionally above all , oh my , he hates it , promises vengeance and like totally true that a million people died for that . Jimmy Carter would send a bigshot to Iran and the same exact thing and Humeyni hates America , so the Great Satan and another million people have died beause the Arabian Spring aimed to create a Sunni superstate , this Ihvanistan to fight Iran , because oh my , Americans are so peaceful dudes sending a note to Humeyni's underlings . Or bring Democracy and stuff .

this stupid thing that goes on ? Can it be even Americans are trying to re-enact this ? Some people they dismiss ? So that the people will be offended and make mistakes ? Lord Vader hearing what's transpiring to poor r16 and gets offended between spasms of laughter , gigling like girls them old guard ? Praying day and night that they will be offended at the childishness that passes as smartness and let the Fleet . You have no idea how much will there is to slag the US .

also , the right of being informed is a right allright . And one can see the muscle is impressed that things might happen . But them local brains , each and every one ignoring the years that they should have learned already ? "Your entertainment at the spectacle" creates a right for "entertainment" you won't be enjoying . There's nothing here for you to see , so , ı don't know , how about r16 not figuring out the town already knows what he actually didn't say on a gaming forum about a game the city doesn't play anyhow ? No translations , correct or half or intentionally wrong ? No 15 year olds , thinking she/he is much smarter and would do this or that ? No following at all . Time for the Aesop tale , once again . Trader loads salt , carrier falls in the sea , salt is half lost , carrier discovers the load is much easier . Once or twice more the same thing happens . Trader loads sponge . Oh , they would discover what the carrier is , would stage mass indignation at r16 insulting people ! Good and genial is my middle name , let's stress it's the story , has been written like that 2000 or so years ago . Am pretty sure it was the first time ı was so tangentially mentioned in any press briefing , when the Opposition (and am not anything political or whatever) was referred as "student" from Ancient Greece , famous for always lying . That the "enemy" was not dumb perhaps and might be even preparing some load of sponge ? As cement did not exist in Ancient Greece ? Because gravity makes sponge lighter in time , as water flows out ... That goverment minister has been dumped by the party he co-founded and ı don't hear anything about him daring to do anything about it . It's always heroic to talk back to people who can't do a thing about it .

In August 2007, [Pierre] Sprey told ... that “the F-16, as it was in 1986, can whip today’s F-22. You’d think the F-22 would be able to whip some antique.”

which would be 16C/D and it's doing nothing of the sort in all those exercises , exchange ratio being 30 or 50:1 in favour of the Raptor . Applause for Sprey and boo for Lord Vader because the 1986 stuff planned for the F-16 went nowhere because America was fast and furious in planning for a Turkish Civil War and hindered the upper stuff that would inevitably filter to us demonseed through NATO . The plane was to be the backbone of now dead THK and it would get better as every NATO plane got better . America was protected from accidents as they would bomb us , with US politicians endlessly debating systems and cancelling this and that and making all far more expensive . Instead Sprey becomes the laughing stock of USAF's magazine , talking how the F-15 was so successful after years of badmouthing by the famous Fighter Mafia . That article clearly failing to mention USAF's premier fighting unit of F-15s were "duped" by USAF's own assets , testing electronic spoofing and all that so that they got only one kill or whatever in the Gulf , with all Eagle kills then going to less prestigious units . Proving methods and procedures for things they would do to us , you know .

surely ı must have made that up !

SpinLaunch has raised more venture capital. I am not optimistic about this technology. It has a lot of hurdles and is of limited utility in the current environment. If we start building colonies or heavy industry in space, this would be a great tech to have. But most satellites could not survive the insane g-loading of this approach and they've given almost no information on how the system would work to overcome the obvious drawbacks such as extreme heating during flight and the insane g-loading of the launch process. They are advertising launch prices of $250,000 per launch and that's just not low enough to induce small satellite designers to completely re-engineer and re-tool to work with their system.
https://spacenews.com/spinlaunch-raises-35-million/

Last edited:
To get a sense of what SpinLaunch has to do, see this video of test footage of the Sprint Anti-Ballistic Missile system. Sprint was meant to intercept ICBMs during their terminal approach and thus had about a 20 second window to launch and intercept. This missile could accelerate from 0 to Mach 10 in about 5 seconds. You can see that by the time the second stage burns out, the skin of the projectile is glowing white hot from friction and they had to put an ablator on it to deal with this. It is moving so fast that the air around it becomes a plasma and it took very powerful radar transmitters to punch through that plasma sheath and guide the missile.

SpinLaunch rockets will need to exit the evacuated tube at a greater velocity than Mach 10 where they will effectively slam into full air pressure like a wall.

Last edited:
r16 rants will survive the end of stars or whatever . They have simply mislabelled the stars , like naturally .

Spoiler :

my pathetic existence gets crowned once again . Not by some guy on the street ı said "Have a good day" and he said nothing back . Either it's one of the streets one would not be seen "nice" to me because everyone hates me or it's yet another one of the weeks ı will be taken away never to come back and he doesn't want to look sympathetic to good old loser r16 . Is it because ı talk against the Russians , despite they are busy creating an imression that Putin changed his cabinet because it was them who were oligarks and certainly not Putin ... Which is , as everybody already knows , rather a temporary change ; he will end his term his as the president , will become the Prime Minister , so his powers as "#2" of Russia must be more than the guy who will temporarily become the Russian President , before Putin becomes President for the third or fourth time ... Americans as usual are "asking" for an adress like the 3rd year in a row and having merry moments of trying to start a conversation about the male reproductive organ sizes in respective countries as if we don't know Americans are always the best . Break some jaws next time they show up ? At least tell them why expanding rod warheads were invented ? You know everybody forever talks of how the IR homer went he fired went up the tailpipe and no way of verifying that with HE types , but if an expanding type does that you will have outward cuts in the surviving wreckage to make at least a partial 360 . Can never happen to Americans though , lacking radar data you can't fire a Sidewinder on any 5th gen American plane even if you were seeing it by your own eyes dead ahead ... We will never see whether one can seperate the shaft off some F-135 to drive it all the way to the cockpit , ı guess .

none of the above , but the secretary of the palace cabinet responsible for the foreign affairs lets it be known that he travelled 2.5 million kilometers in the last 5 years and makes like 3 round trips to the Moon , but we are also assured he didn't say that in any way . Will see how much ceasefire in Libya that will gain for him .

Can you imagine landing on a planet with 1.5 x Earth's gravity or more? Mechanical assistance would help but even the physiological stress would do us in quickly. Or imagine meeting a humanoid being that evolved on such a planet? They'd be supermanish.

or maybe they'd die too because their body needs more gravity to function properly

The in-flight abort test was successful!

It was expected that the booster would tumble and explode after the abort and it definitely delivered:

Dragon escaped and had a successful splashdown. NASA is now floating the idea of making the first crewed test flight of Dragon to be an operational, long-duration mission instead of a quick affair. They really need to push this capability into operation to avoid having to buy more Soyuz seats. I expect they will buy one or two seats as insurance. They may even buy the seats from Boeing - Boeing was given some seats to the ISS in compensation for a failed joint Boeing-Russia rocket business (Sea Launch) and has publicly offered to sell them to NASA.

This morning it was announced that a big telecommunications satellite has broken on orbit. One of the solar arrays is stuck which means it has lost half of its broadband capacity.

From today's paper. New Mexico's contribution to space exploration.
From here, the stars

Spaceport, industry leaders prepare for global spotlight

Copyright © 2019 Albuquerque Journal

BY KEVIN ROBINSON-AVILA

JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

The New Mexico Spaceport is preparing to go viral this year as Virgin Galactic gears up for liftoff in southern New Mexico.

Sir Richard Branson is widely expected to board the first commercial passenger rocket to shoot into suborbit sometime in 2020 in an event that could capture global attention as the turning point that marks the dawn of commercial space travel. Rocket flights with paying passengers will soon follow, potentially kicking up an unprecedented groundswell of spectator tourism and worldwide media attention that the spaceport and local industry leaders want to be ready for.

To prepare, the New Mexico Spaceport Authority is seeking $57million in capital outlay this year for infrastructure projects it considers critical, beginning with $25 million for a welcoming center and visitor access control installations.

In addition, it’s seeking $20 million for space vehicle and payload processing centers for companies operating at the spaceport’s horizontal and vertical launch areas to do on-site assembly of rockets and the microgravity experiments placed in them. It also wants $10 million for the first phase of a new taxiway in the horizontal launch area to run parallel to the current 12,000foot runway, and it wants $2 million for a modern IT control center for all communications infrastructure at the spaceport.

Separately, the Governor’s Office is requesting a $3.6 million annual appropriation from the general fund for spaceport operations, up from $1 million this fiscal year, in part to ramp up spaceport staff in FY2021.

Those are tall orders for this year’s legislative session, especially because the state has already invested $220 million to build the spaceport, plus $25 million in capital outlay in the past two years for other infrastructure projects.

But spaceport leaders and supporters say the new projects are critical as New Mexico moves to the forefront of the world’s emerging commercial space industry.

Branson’s coming spaceflight and the passenger launches soon to follow offer a historic opportunity for New Mexico to rocket into global stardom as one of the key leaders in the new space age, said Dale Dekker of architecture firm Dekker/Perich/Sabatini.

Dekker co-founded Ambassadors for Spaceport America, a group that now unites about 400 local professionals, businesspeople and enthusiasts to promote the spaceport and New Mexico’s budding

commercial space industry.

“We believe that investments in the spaceport will pay off this year with a global event that New Mexico has really never experienced before,” Dekker told the Journal. “When Richard Branson boards the first rocket, it will attract national and global attention, offering an opportunity for New Mexico to show off all its space-related assets. We believe it will be seen by billions, earning the state media attention equivalent to the Super Bowl or the Olympics.”

Spaceport America must be prepared to host hundreds, if not thousands, of tourists, as well as new firms that may want to locate at the facility, both to provide goods and services to Virgin Galactic and other companies operating at the spaceport, and to conduct their own space-related activities there, said Spaceport America CEO Dan Hicks.

The welcoming center and visitor access control are particularly critical.

“After Branson flies, there will be Virgin Galactic flights every other week, or every third week, and people will come out to see it in big crowds,” Hicks said. “We need a visitor welcoming center to accommodate and control crowds of spectators — a place where they can look off in the distance to watch flights take off.”

The $20 million welcoming center would include site security headquarters, educational exhibits, viewing and resting areas, tour arrangements, conference rooms, visitor traffic control, food preparation and an auditorium, Hicks said.

Another $5 million would pay for visitor access control, with a secure alternative entrance to the spaceport for all commercial and professional vehicles.

Even with funding, welcoming facilities won’t be ready in time for the first rocket flights expected this year, so the spaceport is working with Virgin Galactic on temporary accommodations for visitors, including everything from circus tents and portable toilets to sound systems, tables and chairs.

Vehicle and payload processing facilities are also considered a high priority to allow Virgin Galactic and other current and future companies operating in the vertical launch area to manage microgravity experiments. Alongside Virgin’s passenger rockets, suborbital payload flights, and eventually orbital satellite launches, are a key part of the spaceport’s activities.

A half-dozen companies are already working on those things at the vertical launch area, including regular suborbital flights by UP Aerospace for NASA and commercial customers. One company, SpinLaunch, is building a $7 million, 10,000-square-foot test facility there for a new centrifuge technology that will rapidly spin satellite-carrying rockets around on the ground until reaching hypersonic speeds to literally fling them into space.

As Virgin Galactic lifts off, the Spaceport expects a wave of interest from

VMS Eve is parked on the runway of the Spaceport America, near Upham. ADOLPHE PIERRE-LOUIS/JOURNAL

Officials and media workers gather at Spaceport America, near Upham. ADOLPHE PIERRE-LOUIS/JOURNAL

Dan Hicks

more space-related companies exploring operations there. The spaceport has signed nondisclosure agreements with nearly 50 companies that are considering operations in New Mexico, Hicks said.

And while Virgin Galactic draws attention to the state, an explosion in commercial space activities nationally and internationally is also generating industry-wide hype as the world gears up to launch and manage tens of thousands of satellites in low Earth orbits for global communications in a hyperconnected world. Many companies are coming to New Mexico, largely because much of the U.S. Department of Defense’s effort to modernize its space-related infrastructure is based at Kirtland Air Force Base.

One new organization, New Space NM, is now working to unite all the state’s space-related entities and individuals in a collaborative association to support and build the industry here.

“There’s a lot going on that’s providing huge opportunities,” New Space NM founder and CEO Casey DeRaad told the Albuquerque Economic Forum in December. “...There’s a lot of new innovation and exploration happening here, including space travel from our own spaceport. We think New Mexico can be the leader in this new space age.”

Another statewide initiative, the Space Valley Summit, launched this month to unite New Mexico’s three research universities with federal and state entities to share expertise and collaborate on spacerelated projects.

The spaceport itself is

actively recruiting industry. It’s identified about 140 satelliterelated companies and will target many for recruitment.

“We’re assessing which ones to focus on,” Hicks said. “We won’t go after everyone. We’ll focus on those that seem like the best fit for New Mexico.”

The spaceport’s capital outlay requests could face pushback in this year’s legislative session, but Hicks hopes to at least get some critical funding this year, and possibly more next year.

With a new age of human spaceflight approaching liftoff, New Mexico needs to capitalize on emerging

NM SPACE ON PAGE M12
opportunities, Hicks said. Apart from Virgin Galactic, Jeff Bezos’ company Blue Origin plans into launch its first paying passengers to space this year on its New Shepard rocket, and both SpaceX and Boeing are gearing up for their first NASAsponsored human flights to the International Space Station.

“They’re all scheduled to attempt liftoff in 2020, and it’s driving huge excitement in the space industry,” Hicks said.

“The Spaceport and Virgin Galactic can leverage all that momentum to build activities in our state.”

On top of the space port, New Mexico also has the Air Force Research Labs (AFRL) which have a super-active space contingent. They host a DoD design competition for universities that my school participated in. We actually won the year I was active! I went down to Albuquerque for that and you were sad I didn't make time to see you but my schedule was tight. I didn't even get to sight see at all.

Well, in the polite version I leave off the asshat at the end, but there's nothing to be gained by letting stupid dependents think they can get by without us.
Way off-topic response for the thread you posted it in, so I moved my reply here.

I was thinking the other day that California is one of the few places on Earth where you can design and build a spacecraft, and the rocket to launch the spacecraft, and then launch the whole thing into space all within a 200 mile radius. Thespace industry is geographically concentrated to begin with but this is a pretty unique spot.

Gavin Newsom has been contracting with a company in San Francisco to provide climate change data. Originally it would have been an entire satellite but I think they've scaled it back to just data from satellites. If they had built it, they would have likely launched it from Vandy. That would have I think made California the only sub-nation-state to own its own satellite, much less to have built and launched it entirely from its own borders and with only its own resources.

Last edited:
Some interesting infographics:
Spoiler SLS Cost Compared to Falcon 9 :
sls.png

Spoiler Saturn V cost in terms of SLS :

Another bad day for Boeing.

They completely stopped 737 Max production.

They pulled out from a DARPA launch program to build a space plane for unknown reasons. I'd put money on it coming down to...well money, naturally.

One of their satellites is about to explode in the geostationary arc due to a battery failure. This one may not be on them - the satellite is 3 years past its design life and it is possible that it was struck by a meteor or something.

Top Bottom