The thread for space cadets!

Weird tasmanian devil lovebot baffles astronomers

Is that the right pronunciation of LFBOTs? Anyway, it is clearly aliens.

An explosion in space nicknamed the Tasmanian devil has confused astronomers by flashing at peak brightness more than a dozen times, months after the initial event. The observation, while posing new questions, could help to narrow down what might cause such explosions, which are known as luminous fast blue optical transients (LFBOTs).

LFBOTs are seen across the Universe and defy explanation. The first, dubbed the Cow after its designation AT2018cow, was spotted in 2018 in a galaxy about 60 million parsecs (200 million light years) from Earth. The Cow was notable for being up to 100 times brighter than a supernova before dimming over just a few days, a process that takes weeks for a supernova.

More than half a dozen LFBOTs have since been found, including ones referred to as the Koala, the Camel and, earlier this year, the Finch. But astronomers are still not sure what is causing them. The leading ideas are that these explosions are either failed supernovae — stars collapsing into a black hole or neutron star before they can explode — intermediate-mass black holes consuming other stars, or the results of objects interacting with hot, bright stars known as Wolf-Rayet stars.

In a study published on 15 November in Nature1, a team led by astronomer Anna Ho at Cornell University in Ithaca, New York, describes new activity from an LFBOT that had been discovered about 1 billion parsecs away in September 2022; this one, formally called AT2022tsd, is known as the Tasmanian devil. Initially using the Magellan-Baade telescope in Chile, the researchers found that the Tasmanian devil repeatedly flashed at its peak brightness, starting in December 2022. They saw 14 of these flaring events in total, each lasting only minutes.

“Flashes like this haven’t been seen before in LFBOTs,” says Ho. She adds that each of the unexpected flares was “as powerful as the original LFBOT”.

Ho says that the flaring could support the failed supernova idea, which would involve a massive star about 20 times the mass of the Sun running out of fuel and collapsing, leaving a dense neutron star or black hole inside the remains of the surrounding star. “We think these flashes are probably coming from either a neutron star or a black hole that was formed in the original LFBOT event,” she says.

If the neutron star or black hole at the centre of the LFBOT had powerful jets of energy firing from its poles, it could explain the flaring. These jets would fire out into space as the object rotated — and, if they repeatedly pointed in the direction of Earth, that could explain the flashes of light from the Tasmanian devil. “This could be one of the few cases where it was directed to us,” says Ho.

Brian Metzger, an astrophysicist at Columbia University in New York City, says that the observation is “quite striking” and “sort of confirms what we had concluded based on other evidence” — namely, that LFBOTs involve electrons that are travelling close to the speed of light being “heated or accelerated in some form of outflow”.

Further observations could help to determine the mass of the object, which could definitively explain its origin. “An intermediate mass black hole is a 10,000-solar-mass black hole,” says Ho. “A failed supernova is more like 10 or 100 solar masses.” The flares could offer a way to work out the mass of the object, she adds. “When you measure a fast-varying signal, you can use how quickly that signal is varying to estimate the size of the object emitting the signal.” A high speed would indicate that the object is rapidly rotating — suggesting a lower mass.

SpaceX is ready to try again with Spaceship Starship on Friday.

If they can get the thing to work correctly and then land to reuse, it will revolutionize space launch.

Hopefully it doesn't explode.

Last edited:
hopefully it does .

contrary to future allegations , ı did not wave my hand .

From 4 minutes to 8 minutes is a very modest improvement:

As a 2 stage rocket, there is only one separation.
Here it is!

Speed, altitude, fuel gauges for liquid oxygen and liquid methane, and individual status lights for each engine.
Kind of interesting to see what the individual 33 booster engines do shortly after separation.

At takeoff the whole thing weighs about 5 or 6% of a nuclear aircraft carrier I think.

At liftoff:

The whole thing was supposed to go 90 minutes not 8. :(

**Edit**

Here is the full video.

Orbit is 200 km and 27400 kph, but they were trying for a bit less than orbit and a splash down on the other side of Earth.

All was lost a bit after 8 minutes.

The 1st stage absolutely kabooms with that bit of fuel left in the tanks to try and land with.

Last edited:
All was lost a bit after 8 minutes.

The telemetry stopped at 8:04 with a flash as Starship blew part of itself up to abort.
The Flight Termination System (FTS)

The FTS consists of two white boxes that house small explosive devices outside the propellant tanks, which upon command would detonate and trigger the breakup of the vehicle in the event of any deviations from the planned flight path.

Here is a telescope that saw the flash and zoomed in at 8:10 to see the following minute :D

Death spiral at 100 miles up.

If anyone watches the original full video, at 7:06 Starship turns from a large glowing dot into a bushy-tailed comet :eek:
The Liquid Oxygen Gauge (LOX) starts falling a lot faster than the Liquid Methane Guage (CH4) over the next 60 seconds.
Fuel leak?

After a minute of that I guess the computer calculated there was no way to achieve the mission.
CH4 needs the Liquid Oxygen to combust and burn in space.

Last edited:
when ı was young there used to be Star Wars . With definite emphasis on early interception of ICBMs in the boost phase . One trick that would have made it harder was a claim that the missiles could be covered in mirrors to partially deflect the lazer fire which had to be kept on for a while to punch through . Or the missile body to rotate with the lazer forced to go through the entire circumference of it . Steel hull of course does not change that much . It has to be thinner than a supermodel to fly afterall . But yeah , ı certainly do not know nothing about a stealth satellite that knocks things in atmosphere to punch a single hole with a single milisecond shot with what , like a 3 minute gap ?

The FTS on the starship regularly fails to promptly cancel the flight so I am looking forward to the next diplomatic incident consisting of one of these things annihilating a small Mexican city with an airburst. Also you ever wonder why they never launch from a real launch site? Yeah

the actual justification for the entire Musk space operation from the beginning to the end is rapid deployment of combat equipment into orbit . First hunter killer satellites , then replacements for communications and reconnaisance assets attrited by the Chinese . Major companies have too much overhead about salaries , so Musk does that with slave labour . Without the usual Goverment restrictions . So , it is only normal for the world to assume he is escaping from regulations to increase his profits when in fact he doubles the launch sites from the US .

considering Colombian cartels have been sending "submarines" to Europe for ages now ı wouldn't be surprised to see the Mexicans shooting down any wayward Musk thing coming in .

Northern Lights could be seen across the UK tonight

Red alert: aurora likely

It is likely that aurora will be visible by eye and camera from anywhere in the UK on Saturday November 25 into Sunday morning. The moon is very bright at the moment, I expect it will be better later.

The FTS on the starship regularly fails to promptly cancel the flight so I am looking forward to the next diplomatic incident consisting of one of these things annihilating a small Mexican city with an airburst. Also you ever wonder why they never launch from a real launch site? Yeah

Heh, I'm not sure why they fly from Texas.

As far as I know, it flies east from the Texas coastline and threads the needle as best it can south of Florida.

If a catastrophe happened, it might crash into Cuba or some Bahama type islands. :dunno:

Heh, I'm not sure why they fly from Texas.

As far as I know, it flies east from the Texas coastline and threads the needle as best it can south of Florida.

If a catastrophe happened, it might crash into Cuba or some Bahama type islands. :dunno:
It's got a powerful capacity for turning, lose control and you can add Florida or Mexico to potential target lists. That's why you wish for FTS to work. As long as everything blows up it's fine. If FTS fails or is unreliable eh. Then of course there's the possibility of a structural failure flinging a very large piece of debris like the intact nose cone at the ground moving very quickly.

Northern Lights could be seen across the UK tonight

Red alert: aurora likely

It is likely that aurora will be visible by eye and camera from anywhere in the UK on Saturday November 25 into Sunday morning. The moon is very bright at the moment, I expect it will be better later.

It was not better, the activety was only high while the moon was out. However I may have seen a lunar halo last night as I was posting this. I thought there was an odd ring of cloud around the moon when I looked out to see the state of the sky. According to the beeb that was refraction of moonlight from ice crystals in the upper atmosphere.

Spoiler Activity plot this morning :

We're at about 54°N, so I figured if the aurora would be visible in the UK, we should be able to see it from here as well. Went straight upstairs as soon as I saw your post (about an hour later), but didn't see anything. Then wondered if the solar activity peak might precede any lightshow by an hour or two, depending on how long it took for the charged particles to arrive... But I was up until about 2 am, and every time I looked out of the attic window, there was still nothing to see... :(

So this Amaterasu is clearly aliens, right? The highest energy particle we have seen for over 30 years coming from an empty region of space? The possible explanations they give are a large deflection by the foreground magnetic field, an unidentified source in the local extragalactic neighborhood, or an incomplete knowledge of particle physics. The "unidentified source in the local extragalactic neighborhood" must mean a misaligned plasma injector or something throwing out particles when it should not.

The most powerful cosmic ray since the Oh-My-God particle puzzles scientists

Scientists have detected the most powerful cosmic ray seen in more than three decades. But the exact origin of this turbocharged particle from outer space remains a mystery, with some suggesting that it could have been generated by unknown physics.

The puzzling cosmic ray had an estimated energy of 240 exa-electronvolts (EeV; 1018 electronvolts), making it comparable to the most powerful cosmic ray ever detected, aptly named the Oh-My-God particle, which measured at around 320 EeV when it was discovered in 1991. The findings were published today in Science.

“It’s amazing because you have to think of what could produce such high energy,” says Clancy James, an astronomer at Curtin University in Perth, Australia.

A cosmic ray, despite its name, is actually a high-energy subatomic particle — often a proton — that zips through space at close to the speed of light. In their ultrahigh-energy form, cosmic rays have energy levels that exceed one EeV, which is around one million times greater than those reached by the most powerful human-made particle accelerators. Cosmic rays with energies of more than 100 EeV are rarely spotted — fewer than one of these particles arrives on each square kilometre of Earth each century.

Toshihiro Fujii, an astronomer at the Osaka Metropolitan University in Japan, stumbled across some bizarre signals on 27 May 2021, while he was doing a routine data check at the Telescope Array, a cosmic-ray detector in Millard County, Utah. The signals suggested that the facilities’ detectors had been smashed with something super energetic, but he was sceptical at first. “I thought there was some sort of mistake or bug in the software,” says Fujii. “I was really surprised.” But measurements were consistent with those produced by ultra-cosmic rays. The scientists nicknamed the particle ‘Amaterasu’, after a Japanese Sun goddess.

But when Fujii and his team tried to pinpoint the source of the energetic spike, they drew a blank. Ultrahigh-energy cosmic rays usually travel through space relatively smoothly, because they don’t bounce off magnetic fields as strongly as low-energy cosmic rays do. This would have made it easy to pinpoint the stellar explosion, black hole or galaxy that it came from.

But Fujii and his team calculated the source of the ray to be in a void-like region where few galaxies reside. To cover all bases, the researchers also tried matching the cosmic ray with possible source galaxies and objects located just outside its arrival direction. But none of them seemed to fit. “There was nothing,” says Fujii.

One explanation could be that the models estimating how magnetic fields influence the course of cosmic rays are off and could require some tweaking, says James. If that’s the case, it’s possible that Amaterasu might have come from a slightly different direction than the team’s calculations suggest. “We think we’ve got good estimates, but maybe we’re wrong,” says James.

Another possibility is that ultrahigh-energy cosmic rays are produced by unknown physical processes that might enable them to travel much vaster distances than previously thought, says Jose Bellido Caceres, an astroparticle physicist at the University of Adelaide, Australia. “It could be new physics,” says Bellido Caceres, who has worked on the Pierre Auger Observatory in Malargüe, Argentina. He adds that cosmic rays offer a testing ground for exploring how particles interact at extreme energies that cannot be produced by accelerators on Earth.

Fujii and his team are in the process of upgrading the Telescope Array to be four times as sensitive as before. This will allow researchers to capture more of these rare ultrahigh-energy cosmic rays and trace their origins more precisely.

Researchers check the Telescope Array surface detector in the high desert in Delta, Utah, in 2019. In 2021, the Telescope Array detected the flying saucer engine wash.

Last edited:
yes , science journalists are now in combat with me or something . Not really following such stuff and not aware of the context but does the last sentence read as in 2021 they detected residuals of a flying saucer passing by ?

last sentence read as in 2021 they detected residuals of a flying saucer passing by
It is a reference to my whole point, that one possible explanation of this high energy particle is that it was emitted from an interstellar vessel.

sorry , the r16 way of pseudo fast reading thing destroys or distorts many things . Just missed the first sentence as a joke instead of the basis of the whole post . No , they didn't discover Aliens . That increased technology now allow Americans to spot hitherto stealthy Aliens is an American BS they invented back in 2017 or so as the whole world was laughing at Trump . No nothing has yet come out and the American fear is that China will declare it first with so incredible photoshop that you can't prove it is photoshop . Which like was developed since George Lucas needed it for Star Wars anyhow .

americans should have instead fixed Google AI which redflagged US Moon landing photos as possible fakes .

Top Bottom