The two most important decisions

Definitely not 24 hours timer is my vote, though I like simultaneous. 48 is fine, even 60 or 72 would be acceptable with the expectation it wouldn't be that long initially but may be later in my opinion.

I agree with the general sentiment here:
Simultaneous turns, tech trading OFF

I think 48 real time hours is a good amount of time for the diplomacy and democracy aspects.

I think tech trading should absolutely be OFF. With tt on, a civ can just get dragged along to tech parity. So, the #1 group will always be on the cutting edge. On the other hand, with tt off, it is much more difficult to always have the 'leading edge', because each team must choose which part of the tech tree to do first.

For instance, a team could decide to go for CS for Bureaucracy. With tt on, that team could expect to get gifted Music or Literature and Drama or something comparable. So, the team will be able to compete for the great library, temple of artemis, sistine chapel, and all of those wonders. On the other hand, with tt off, the team is sacrificing its chances at those wonders for the benefits of bureaucracy. I think no tech trading would make this game far more enjoyable. Diplomacy would concern far more than the formation of a tech alliance. Say no to massive tech conglomerates and yes to more interesting gameplay.

I do accept this but surely it is also a team game and the better teams have a way of managing a quicker turn.

So the fasted team is automatically the best team? In my opinion that is nonsense. If a team needs time, it should be able the take it (to a certain extend of course).

I am with the few people here who said, simultaneous turns and a rather long timer, 48-72 hours. Still it's possible to do 5 turns in an hour, if all teams made their decisions.

So the fasted team is automatically the best team? In my opinion that is nonsense. If a team needs time, it should be able the take it (to a certain extend of course).

No as presumably the better team would have better teamwork rather than being particularly fast.

I vote sequential and tech trading off. Perhaps we can have a rule against gifting more than two techs, or something like that?

If tech trading is off how do we gift techs?

Perhaps we can have a rule against gifting more than two techs, or something like that?
No, that would be a bad idea. Then you have to define within what time period, and then teams figure out ways around it anyway. Or they start arguing amongst themselves about whether or not a rule was broken. No... have tech trading either on or off, but don't impose any out-of-game rules on that function of the game.

Everyone seems to assume that the turn will take as long as the timer is set for. Most of the time it will finish much faster
DaveShack is definitely right about this... We played sequential turns in the last game and towards the end when I was taking the turns for Kazakhstan, we were finishing around 1 turn-per-day... did I mention that that was with sequential turns;)

I'm all for tech trading off and simultaneous turns...

Although my personal bugbear is the espionage rules, but that's not for here! :)

Top Bottom