The 'Ultimate' Civics Expander and Balancer Mod

It could be explored as an alternative or used in combination. One of the other interesting ideas is that it could allow short distance Ocean travel in the early game so you can jump to near coastal islands without being able to cross the whole ocean. I read that Civ I had something simmilar to this if a gally didnt end its tun on Coast it was destroyed, with negative healing it would be limited to 2-3 turns of outward exploration before turning back.

I think units already have the ability to get healrate bonuses? I know some of the promotions give bonuses but I'm not shure how specific they are to territory. If nessary they could be given a full set of 4 different values City/Owned/Nutral/Enemy all of which act as to add to the games base rates. Nutral healing could be set to -10% making exploration with non-scouts very brief, Scouts would then have an inherent +5% allowing them to make excurshions for twice as long. I order for this to be effective the Medic Promotion needs to be taken away from most units and given exclusivly to some kind of "Supply Waggon" unit without which forces cant effectivly cross nutral territory or invade another country. All this is ofcouse going to be very taxing on the AI probably screwing its game up even worse unless some major work is done to make it smarter.

Has the Pedia, and Civic Change Screen
(would you like to adopt blah blah blah blah) text been added to the phase 2 download?

Re guarding the tech tree....

I used a straight line progression avoiding 90degree line draws when ever possible I used lunar mongoose's tech tree as a base of what I did.

It looks good but it was a ***** to do, I dont think there is any way to fix the mild screw up.

No, I am afraid not Ket-for which I must apologise. The problem is two-fold. For some reason, some of my Civilopedia entries are not turning up in-game (but some are-how bizarre :confused: ). The other problem, though, is that I have simply been 'mugged' by real life the last 24 hours or so ;). Anyway, I will promise to have something here BEFORE the end of the week-UNLESS I continue having these civilopedia problems!

Aussie_Lurker.

Impaler[WrG] said:
I was resently thinking about negative healing as a means for preventing both scouting and conquest. Its a rather straitforward idea, their are Global Defines for City/Owned/Nutral/Enemy healing rates right off the top I belive their 25/20/15/10 percent respectivly. By changing nutral healing to a negative value units would lose heal in nutral territory and be forced to return to their home turf to heal up before again venturing out (or they could be sent on one way suicide exploration).

Along the same lines negative healing in enemy territory could be considered Attrition Damage making long seiges much harder (probably to the detriment of the AI). With some SDK coding and a new Player level Attrition datamember it would be possible to do attrition much like RiseOfNations had. Protective Leaders could gain an interesting new facet. Any interest is something like this?

But negative healing only works when the unit doesn't have full health (and probably not moving), if you don't change the sdk.

In that case I will have to fix it.

I might suggest a 25% War Weariness penalty for Pacifism. The penalty fits the ideology of the civic. Not sure if there is a way to increase that weariness if the civilzation under Pacifism was the one who declared war, but I would make it greater if there was a way.

Is there a date 4 the release of phase 3? I am REALLY anticipatory.....

Hey, not that I'm opposed to the movement changes, but it might work against the best interest of this mod to get that far away from the original civic / political intent.

Hey DH_Epic, don't panic. This particular Mod will probably have a different name, and will be outside of the main Civics_Balancing Mod project. i.e., though the 'Limited Movement Mod' will have all the civics changes in it, it won't BE the Civics_Balancing mod in the truest sense of the word-nor will it replace the existing Civics_Balancer_2 mod. Hope that puts your mind at ease.

Aussie_Lurker.

Aussie can I get a copy of your current code (the one from that thread ware you were adding a Yield and Commerce modifier to buildings with Civics and a StateReligion based Commerce/Yield bonuses). I'm interested in splicing thouse same effects into Buildings to create new Wonders. If the code isn't finished yet I could probably polish it off as last I remember you were quite close to having it all done.

Hey, no problems Impaler. Just to let you know 'where its at', I have pretty much completed the Vanilla version of the Code changes, and have just begun adding the changes to the Warlords SDK. By finished, I mean that I have added all the new elements (State Religion Yield/Commerce and Building Yield/Commerce Bonus) to CvInfos, GameTxtMgr, CvPlayer and CvCity. It has been properly compiled and a new .dll built. Only problem now is that it crashes when I try and implement the changes in-game. So if you don't mind doing a little 'bug-hunting' for me, I would VERY much appreciate it :). I will try and send you all the code tonight.
This weekend, I really hope to have all the new Warlords stuff complete, so that I can begin phase 3 of my mod during next week. Fingers crossed, I hope to have some kind of phase 3 mod done by mid-September at the latest!
Phase 4, strangely enough, shouldn't take as long, as the new code is really just a rehash of the religion code. The real work is in adding State Ideology and Non-State Ideology tags to the Building, Diplomacy and Civics sections. OK, maybe it WILL take as long...:mischief:

Aussie_Lurker.

Hi, Impaler. Would you be able to PM me with an e-mail address, so that I can send you the file? Its just its too large to upload here as an attachment. Thanks.

Aussie_Lurker.

Sent, I guess you didn't realize my E-mail is avalible on my profile, just click the name and select send E-mail

EDIT: Oh no on taking a look at It I see that option dosen't let you attach anything :(

Thanks Aussie, I can see it dose need some work, one of the main things I need to change is to key off BuildingClasses rather then BuildingTypes or else all the Unique Buildings in Warlords will not get the Bonuses (which would suck and/or require ever Civic to list all the buildings in the Class but then it would fail to affect new Buildings like thouse that CivGold will be adding). The XML tags will change to reflect this so I'll reSchema as well. I'm also adding a CityYieldChanges ability which will add Yield to the Cities own Plot much like the Bonus Commerce of Traits adds Commerce (but this will have the advantage of being visible on the Map). It will be an option for Civics and Wonders.

When I am done the resulting code will be a good base for you to use for distributing your Civics to WL players. Ket is planning on using subsequent versions of it in his mod and I'm including all the SDK changes he compiled so it will be realy flexible, as always everything will be optional (except obvious bugs and improved text output)

Hey Aussie, now that I've been playing witht the mod for a few weeks (Ill never go back! NEVER! :) ) I have the inevitable criticism:mischief: Dont take any of it hard, its all good...:goodjob:

So anyhoo... Theocracy. I have never had one religion in my borders for even a quarter of a game in my life. Am I the only one who thinks that this Civic will hurt more than help, even in wartime? And Medium upkeep, 2 boot.

Ecclesiastic: This also seems underpowered. I havent actually used it yet, but thats only cause of the negative sign in front of those beakers..., I know that it stacks with OR, but still....

State Property: this is to my mi9nd, immensly OP. There literally is no downside, including upkeep, UNLESS, it actually increases unhappiness in a citiy, and the civics screen has a typo. o

OTHERWISE, it looks all good, and Proffessional/Vassalage is my new favorite combo. :crazyeye: Spaeter, leute.
--------------------------------------------------
My Pittsburgh Steelers: :king: :band: :beer:

@Norbet. Hey, thanks for the vote of confidence, it really does make all the effort worthwhile.
As for the specific criticisms. I would say that if Theocracy isn't working out for you, then it is because it is simply not suitable for your current situation. I have been playing a game where I haven't bothered switching from Theocracy to Monoarchy. Why? Because all of my cities possess my State Religion. Of course I recently captured a city with a non-state religion, and BOY can I tell.
Actually, what I would LOVE to do is make War Weariness State Religion specific too. i.e. theocracies only give a benefit to war weariness IF the city in question has the state religion. hmmmm
As for Ecclesiastic, I found that VERY powerful indeed. Yes I was running it alongside OR, and boy was it a strong combo. If anything I think it might be a little TOO strong, but at least the -25% beakers helps to counter that a bit. One thing I am thinking of for phase 3 is to have Ecclesiastic have -3 beakers if you have a courthouse in the city. Making it a very powerful civic prior to the advent of Code of Laws. Still giving that some thought though.
As for State Property. Is the -1 Happiness in the six largest cities not a big enough penalty for you? If it helps, this might be yet another civic which gets a whole new set of bonuses, penalties in phase 3.

Aussie_Lurker.

Hey guys. Well I can now inform you that the update of version 2W of my civics_balancing mod has been uploaded. Unless there are substantial complaints, either about balance or aesthetics, then this will be my last update of phase 2. That means that I can now focus all my attentions on doing phase 3, which will add a GREAT deal more to the game.
Anyway, either grab the mod from the link provided in my sig, or get it from the attachment provided below.
Thanks for all your support, and please enjoy using the mod :).

Aussie_Lurker.

Attachments

• Civics_Balancer_Ph2aW.zip
    299 KB · Views: 161
Small Bug Labor And Conscription have display bugs on the civic screen.

Hey Ket, can you be more specific? What exactly is going wrong on the display? Let me know and I will attempt to deal with it at my first convenience.

Aussie_Lurker.

I did the correction on the TXT_KEY_CIVIC_ORGANIZED_LABOUR and
TXT_KEY_CIVIC_CONCRIPTION but there is a major display problem

Concription displays as its name
Cain Draft 1242080 per turn

The effect does indeed say 3 per turn, this seems to be an overloaded display bug (I've seen these before and they do cause instability)

My original thought was that you went over a bounds this civic is the only civic to have 5 effects. But I removed the Jail Effect and it still persists.

Looking into it further...

Top Bottom